Gerrard v Advocaat

Punt13

At the start of season 1998/99, Dick Advocaat had a record of 3W 3D 1L after his first 7 games before going on a run of 16W 2D 2L in his next 20. This was an experienced manager with a squad of expensive experienced players.

Steven Gerrard, with a lot less experience and player talent is only one point worse off in his first seven games. Granted yesterday was not great but the overreaction in the bipolar world of Follow Follow, where every victory means we're winning the league and every defeat means we're not, really can be off the scale.

We've had one transfer window to try and remedy the last three years of failure and even though days like yesterday will happen, we are certainly in a much better place all things considered. Let's see where we are once we've played everybody home and away and we have had the second window to make further improvements.

A lot of pants wetters on here and mentally challengeds we still have it in our own hands to win the title but a big reality check is required from where we were to where we are now,big Marvin keep believing

Stats can be manufactured to suit any argument, I like the progress we are making as a new squad and hopefully, the gaffer remedies his mistakes and gets them fired up and winning these away tests in the league.
My only concern is the overuse of rotation this seems to break up the fluidity of the team, 1 or 2 rotated due to knocks etc

At the start of season 1998/99, Dick Advocaat had a record of 3W 3D 1L after his first 7 games before going on a run of 16W 2D 2L in his next 20. This was an experienced manager with a squad of expensive experienced players.

Steven Gerrard, with a lot less experience and player talent is only one point worse off in his first seven games. Granted yesterday was not great but the overreaction in the bipolar world of Follow Follow, where every victory means we're winning the league and every defeat means we're not, really can be off the scale.

We've had one transfer window to try and remedy the last three years of failure and even though days like yesterday will happen, we are certainly in a much better place all things considered. Let's see where we are once we've played everybody home and away and we have had the second window to make further improvements.
Good post mate!

Yesterday was awful for a Gers fan however we've a young manager learning the ropes,
we are all behind him and these type of results are going to happen.

King and the board need to get us a quality central midfielder.

55 will happen but not this season though.

A lot of our fans seem to be manic depressives. We win a game and they think we will steamroll everyone. We drop points and it is the end of the world. We need to be realistic, Gerrard took over a shambles it will take time to get us going in the direction we need to go. We need patience

A lot of our fans seem to be manic depressives. We win a game and they think we will steamroll everyone. We drop points and it is the end of the world. We need to be realistic, Gerrard took over a shambles it will take time to get us going in the direction we need to go. We need patience

aye its hard to read at times, we were winning the league last week now we've got folk wanting 16 new players in

We had the fixture gazers telling us how we were going to romp through these easy on paper matches before the break.

Never turns out like that for us.

A sensible summary

Every league game we have played has come after a midweek game, every away game before yesterday has followed a difficult European tie or in yesterdays case a league cup match.
Perhaps yesterday was the one where we had the least physical demands.
Nonetheless, does anyone believe that Hearts would be top of our league had they had to endure our schedule of playing twice a week and travelling around Europe?

Now, I fully accept that this is the same for the Filth, yet the truth is, they have had years to beef up a squad to deal with this, and they can also tap into far more experience to cope than our players can, yet they are having the same problems as we are.
When you take this into the correct context, then the truth is we are actually overachieving rather than failing.
The facts are Gerrard has actually been truly remarkable in what he has managed to do in such a short period of time.

Time to see the bottom line, and it is gold plated.

Maybe it's just as simple as teams are playing a lot better at home this season.
Every team appears to be struggling away from home

I always find threads like this to be on a level of excuse the players, coaches and managers themselves wouldn’t make it.

I genuinely cannot even begin to imagine someone like Gerrard having the same thought process as the OP ever, not once in the entire history of his being.

At video analysis today I would expect the lot of them to be tearing strips off each other rather than finding instances from the past to justify poor performance.

Gerrard now needs a run of league wins.

Europa was about getting to the groups he did that but we have to move on.

Our next set of league fixtures are not easy so i cant see him getting the required run of results.

I call a spade a spade im not impressed with what ive seen from Gerrards side yet (key word) it is however very early.

This is a forum of extremes. We go from being title favourites to making up the numbers on a game to game basis. Some people on here need to catch a grip.

I always find threads like this to be on a level of excuse the players, coaches and managers themselves wouldn’t make it.

I genuinely cannot even begin to imagine someone like Gerrard having the same thought process as the OP ever, not once in the entire history of his being.

At video analysis today I would expect the lot of them to be tearing strips off each other rather than finding instances from the past to justify poor performance.

The original post was nothing to do with Gerrard’s thinking, a mind reader I’m not.

It was more a comment on the mass hysteria by some caused by how we’ve started the season and how a more experienced manager with a better quality of player struggled at the beginning of his first season.

Quite simple really.

The original post was nothing to do with Gerrard’s thinking, a mind reader I’m not.

It was more a comment on the mass hysteria by some caused by how we’ve started the season and how a more experienced manager with a better quality of player struggled at the beginning of his first season.

Quite simple really.

It’s not a correlation people will make though because they have eyes and watch our games.

Advocaat dropped points, great – what that has to do with how shit we were yesterday is a point I assume will be lost on most, the two things don’t link.

The past is the past, where does it end with all these comparisons.
The team needs to start winning constantly in the league, thats it in a nutshell.

Back