Gerrard v Gio what was different tonight?

Isje 931

first of all we clearly pressed higher than we have been recently which paid dividends. Im not entirely sure why Gerrard wasnt implementing that this season like he had done seasons before.

Starting Aribo Kent and Hagi is a must for me as often as we possibly can. they have everything, creativity, work rate and awareness to get in between the lines and create space for themselves and others.

Morelos was more direct, which suits him alot more. he still ran the channels like he used to and won free kicks.

Cant get carried away but it certainly felt more direct and we played with a little less width than we did under Gerrard.

Tactical flexibility. In the first half switching Hagi and Aribo to shake things up.

We were more direct.

And giving Patterson early, just needed game time in an important game. I’m keen to see more of Patterson in an advanced right wing role.
If two words summed up the difference those two are it. It seemed at times that Gerrards team only had one way of playing at times.

Let’s not forget Gerrard lead us into the position to qualify tonight and took us through the groups the two previous seasons.

A fantastic achievement considering where we were when he came through the door.

Gerrard is the past Gio is the future. It’s time to look forward not back.

first of all we clearly pressed higher than we have been recently which paid dividends. Im not entirely sure why Gerrard wasnt implementing that this season like he had done seasons before.

Starting Aribo Kent and Hagi is a must for me as often as we possibly can. they have everything, creativity, work rate and awareness to get in between the lines and create space for themselves and others.

Morelos was more direct, which suits him alot more. he still ran the channels like he used to and won free kicks.

Cant get carried away but it certainly felt more direct and we played with a little less width than we did under Gerrard.
Belief.
Gerrard lost that after Malmo.
So did the players.

It’s back now Gio and Co.
I predict we will go from strength to strength.

Gerrard contributed to us making it out the group again for the 3rd year feel like the change in system helped and the players seemed to have more energy tonight!Time to look forward now regardless Gerrards the past and Gio is our future.

Let’s not forget Gerrard lead us into the position to qualify tonight and took us through the groups the two previous seasons.

A fantastic achievement considering where we were when he came through the door.

Gerrard is the past Gio is the future. It’s time to look forward not back.
Correct, I think my biggest fear was losing the ‘Gerrard Brand’, I’m hoping we have actually got a better coach and manager now

Aye just listen to Gio there my god I’m excited about where he can take this team
Wanted Alfie to push forward get in the box !
Its not rocket science but gerrard had clearly lost his hunger and had an eye elsewhere which rubbed off on the team

putting the correct players in the correct positions with the team he had at his disposal. thats the best i have seen the team this year in terms of grit and wanting the win, so whatever he has said to motivate them has certainly worked

The tactics let Aribo off the leash. Really should have scored at least one of his chances.

I like 2 holding midfielders. Gives us a bit more protection. Lets the front 4 and 2 FBs a bit of freedom.
First one hes unlucky, second poor, third one is a difficult chance but still.
Im wondering if its a sign we're going to see our midfielders being asked to make more of those late runs from deep that we've all been moaning about not seeing enough of.

Davis said it, "when to go, when not to go". That's very Dutch. How and when to break down inferior opposition.
We can't go full blast for 90 minutes even when we've got all the ball, so it's short, sharp bursts. The timing of the attacks and patterns of play, subtle changes and a much more flexible side I thought.
Gerrard was a great player, but powerful and direct. Showed in his management at times.
Gio was classier, better at playing through rather than powering through opponents.
Keep it tight enough at the back (our only real worry about a Dutch style side in Scotland) and we'll be frightening. Gio will really get the best out of our creative players imo.
Real exciting time.

Back