The bigger win?

• Gerrard

Votes: 400 87.5%
  • Souness

Votes: 57 12.5%

• Total voters

LoyalAndBlue82

Official Ticketer
If/when we win 55 , what first title win for those gaffers will be more impressive?

Could 55 arguably be our biggest title victory ever?

Gerrard, shouldn’t even be a discussion considering where we were 3 years ago, never mind 8.

The financial gap between us & them can be factored in too, Souness had all sorts to spend & access to better players.

Gerrard has had cash to spend in comparison to other managers during our troubling period, but we aren’t spending as much as our competitors.

The sheer lack of stability, infrastructure or even professionalism in some areas of our club was genuinely alarming & Gerrard has raised the standards.

Maybe it’s hard for me to relate because I wasn’t there for the Souness era, but I just can’t imagine it being a bigger achievement than what Gerrard has done.

Last edited:
If he wins the league this season then it’s Gerrard.

Winning the league, if it happens, and our progress in Europe was pretty much unthinkable when he came in, we were a complete and utter disaster.

Gerrard could go down as one of the most significant individuals in our history if this season ends in the way we hope it does.

This is the one we will all remember forever.

I know I will.

What is it with the 50 titles.

50 last season shoot out.
51 Helicopter Sunday.
52 Smith's 1st back.
53 Pretty standard, compared to the rest.
54 7 mins!
55 What to say......

What in hell will 56 be like whenever it comes?

Souness had a financial advantage Gerrard hasn't had.

Souness deserves enormous credit for adding 5 signings (Himself, Butcher, Woods, Nicholl and Roberts) to a squad that finished 5th and win a championship. But no other Scottish Premier Division club spent that sort of money that season.

Gerrard deserves enormous credit for building a (hopefully) title winning team over 2 years against a financially superior juggernaut that had a six year head start on him.

Final answer - Gerrard, because I was too young to fully appreciate the magnificent bastard.

If he wins the league this season then it’s Gerrard.

Winning the league, if it happens, and our progress in Europe was pretty much unthinkable when he came in, we were a complete and utter disaster.

Gerrard could go down as one of the most significant individuals in our history if this season ends in the way we hope it does.
In my life we've never been this consistent in Europe. The 90's were stuff of nightmares at times against teams we'd swat away easily now.

In spring 2018 we lost two games on aggregate 9-0 to the yahoos and a few months before that they had posted a turnover £70 million higher than Rangers so from that point of view Gerrard has the much bigger win.

It's s been a truly amazing turnaround in such a relatively short space of time football wise.

I'll be 100 percent honest here I was critical of Gerrard after the Hearts games last season but he's taken things to a new level this season and deserves all the praise he will get, this is just the start of a great managerial career for him I've no doubts about it.

Credit to the board as well they've had just as big a part to play by financially supporting the club while it was rebuilding.

Gerrard, shouldn’t even be a discussion considering where we were 3 years ago, never mind 8.

The financial gap between us & them can be factored in too, Souness had all sorts to spend & access to better players.

Gerrard has had cash to spend in comparison to other managers during our troubling period, but we aren’t spending as much as our competitors.

The sheer lack of stability, infrastructure or even professionalism in some areas of our club was genuinely alarming & Gerrard has raised the standards.

Maybe it’s hard for me to relate because I wasn’t there for the Souness era, but I just can’t imagine it being a bigger achievement than what Gerrard has done.
I think you’ve ticked all the boxes here.

This season would certainly be the biggest in my lifetime after the journey we’ve had and what we’ve had to endure.

Under the strangest of circumstances admittedly due to no fans in the stadiums but make no mistake, this one is undoubtedly the greatest title achievement yet in Rangers long and illustrious history.

Agree 100% - Souness' title win was brilliant ( and overdue ) ; All your points above are true and relevant - I also don't think that the corruption and bias against us was as bad back then . It was there , but not to the same extent as today IMO .

I know I will.

51 Helicopter Sunday.
52 Smith's 1st back.
54 7 mins!
55 What to say......

56 will be pretty tame, pretty ordinary, compared to 55.
A bit like 1990, 92, 94, 95 and 96.
Great but, routine wins.

I was 14 when Souness brought us the title in 87. I'd only seen pretty garbage Gers sides, the odd cup final to get excited about.
1st title I'd seen and still idolise that magnificent bastard for giving me that feeling.
Young Bears are about to feel that way about Gerrard. They'll love him forever.
Souness himself said if Gerrard stopped them and delivered 55, he'd be a God.
55 this season would be bigger, tougher, better imo.

I know I will.

51 Helicopter Sunday.
52 Smith's 1st back.
54 7 mins!
55 What to say......

56 will not be a patch on the carnage we will create when 55 comes home.

Souness’s arrival and first season was the most exciting period in my time as a supporter. It was as if the club had been reborn.

However, given everything that’s happened in the last ten years and how the dice have been loaded against Rangers, this would be much bigger in terms of achievement. There was a very real danger of us being completely marginalised but there has been a remarkable turnaround.

In my life we've never been this consistent in Europe. The 90's were stuff of nightmares at times against teams we'd swat away easily now.

Too young to have seen us in the 90s but from what I’ve watched, read, and listened to regarding that period then I have to agree.

It feels like Steven Gerrard has finally brought the club in to the modern game.

I think Souness himself has acknowledged he had a large number of advantages that Gerrard hasn’t had so I think even he would admit that Gerrard winning 55 would be more impressive, much as they have both been immensely important to our history,

What Gerrard has done, against the backdrop of hatred towards us, is nothing short of sensational. We were in a terrible place.
I'll never forget certain people who kicked us when we were down.

I was too young to remember Souness BUT all I keep thinking of is that 5-5 game against Hibs before Gerrard came in. We were a shambles, Murty being removed for Jimmy Nic, that squad was a disaster and then Gerrard came in and 4 windows later he has us running away from Celtic.

In spring 2018 we lost two games on aggregate 9-0 to the yahoos and a few months before that they had posted a turnover £70 million higher than Rangers so from that point of view Gerrard has the much bigger win.

It's s been a truly amazing turnaround in such a relatively short space of time football wise.

I'll be 100 percent honest here I was critical of Gerrard after the Hearts games last season but he's taken things to a new level this season and deserves all the praise he will get, this is just the start of a great managerial career for him I've no doubts about it.

Credit to the board as well they've had just as big a part to play by financially supporting the club while it was rebuilding.
There’s an Army ad running on TalkSport at the minute that struck a cord with me as a parallel to how we have gone up a level this season

Fail. Learn. Win.

There hasn’t been a massive amount of failure considering the scale of the monumental task he had. He has learned. He’s now a winner here. This is a massive achievement, make no mistake.

As others have said, he hasn‘t had a financial advantage over his rivals that our other club legend had when he brought us back from the wilderness too.

Gerrard for me under much more pressure to win 55 with a lot more to do and with a lot less money than Souness.

Gerrard was the 'Gazza' moment for the younger fans. I don't fancy comparing the 2, different era's, finances, competition but Souness revolutionised the Scottish game and probably edges it

I was 18 when we won the league in 87 and it was glorious, but 55 is bigger.

Similar age and I'd agree.

But for Dave King this forum might not even be running.

Souness was massive let's not forget, this goes a step beyond. 9 years of hurt wiped out in a matter of months. Thankfully so if it weren't the case a lot of us would be at a low ebb.

Thankfully that's not happening and we've turned the corner and accelerating at a pace we couldn't imagine.

God bless the Rangers and those that follow follow.

For Gerrard to come in and take over the shambles that we were, and take us to where we are now in 3 seasons is incredible, marked improvement year upon year with Europa league group stages three years in a row and last 32 two years out of three. Has us back not only competing with them but dominant over them, and way before they fell apart he had their number. I’d say when he wins this title he’ll be up there with the best of them, and after that? Who knows.

I know we had 9 seasons of no title wins prior to Souness and we were not in a good place and it is also noted Souness won it first season. I would probably say I enjoyed the 86/87 better than this season (which we have still to win) - purely because I was there and it was the first title I really saw Rangers win.

Considering what we have been through it has to be Gerrard.

Gerrard, as he spent peanuts compared to Souness, does anyone know how much Gerrard has spent since he's been here compared to the tims?

Your choice of words literally made me think of Grasshoppers. I remember watching those group games as a kid in horror. First time I'd seen Rangers in Europe and was so used to seeing us batter teams I thought us getting beat was a mistake.

It has to be Stevie G...first managerial job, built his own team, still cant believe at times just how far we have progressed in the last three seasons.

Not even a contest for me. Gerrard by some distance.

This is the most important and biggest title we will ever win, I feel. Its hard to see how it won't be considering our situation before Gerrard joined and even our situation last year. Admin, Liquidation, 4 years in the lower leagues, 3 years of humiliations at the hands of our rivals, finances and infrastructure in the gutter, Gerrard looking finished and bereft of ideas as football shut down last season.

Every single one of those players and staff members will go down as Rangers legends, they will never ever be forgotten. As much as the players know what they need to do, I honestly don't feel like they or Gerrard fully appreciate how big this is going to be yet. In fact I don't think many of us will fully appreciate just how big it is until James Tavernier lifts the trophy over his head.

This season will be seared into the psyche of every mentally challenged on earth for their entire lives, probably to an even greater degree than what the 90s did to them. The only season that mattered in their tainted "decade of dominance" and Rangers have totally and utterly outclassed them on route a world record 55th league title.

Last edited:

I was there in the Souness era and before...you are spot on....

Gerrard, not even a discussion.

If he wins this league while flying in Europe, it’ll mean what he’s done for is genuinely remarkable.

I know I will.

51 Helicopter Sunday.
52 Smith's 1st back.
54 7 mins!
55 What to say......

Let me get back to you next year!

Back