Gerrard wants to add something to the engine room

Hank Hill

Steven Gerrard has told Alfredo Morelos he won’t be guaranteed a start even if he stays at Rangers.

After capturing two new 
strikers last week – Kemar Roofe and Cedric Itten – the Colombian now faces stiff competition up front.

Lille have reportedly had a £16million bid for Morelos rejected with Rangers out for their £20m asking price. Gerrard admitted after their midweek defeat to Bayer Leverkusen that the 24-year-old has had his head turned by speculation.

Morelos produced a poor performance against the Germans and his manager insists – with Roofe and Itten in the door – his place is now under serious threat.

Gerrard said: “Whether Alfredo stays or goes, he has a fight to keep the shirt as we want competition for every position.

Steven Gerrard hails Rangers 'loyalty' as club reveal record-breaking sales ahead of third kit launch
“That brings the best out in everyone. We don’t want any player to automatically think it’s their shirt every week.

“I want everyone fighting for game time. The players have no choice, competition is coming. It’s what the fans want and it’s the way it should be at a club like Rangers.”

Gerrard, whose side take on St Mirren today in their first home league game of the season, insists most of his incoming transfer business is done.

But after the arrival of Calvin Bassey, Jon McLaughlin, Leon Balogun, Roofe and Itten, he admits a new midfielder could be the last piece in his Ibrox jigsaw.

He also expects some fringe players to leave – with the likes of Ross McCrorie and Greg Docherty set to exit.

Gerrard said: “I’ve been open about wanting to add something in our engine room. We’re trying to do that.

“Then we’ll see what happens. I know clubs are looking at our players and I expect bids to land for certain people.

“I’ll never shut the door on a player unless he wants to do it himself. But some want to go and I respect that.”

Gerrard hinted he now has the option to go three at the back in a 3-5-2 formation.

He said: “We’ve got that option with four terrific centre-backs and more firepower in the door.”

But the Ibrox boss promised not to get caught up in the fervour over Gers’ bid to stop Celtic’s 10-in-a-row quest. He said: “We know how important this season is.

“It’s vital we qualify for the group stage of Europe again and, having been here two years, domestic competitions are even more important for myself.

“We are as hungry as ever to put that right. I have to stay calm. I don’t think I’d benefit from getting tense. My focus is on trying to get three points against Saints then I’ll move on to the next challenge.”

STEVEN GERRARD insists he is 'fully aware' of what being Rangers manager means this season as he looks to stop Celtic clinching a tenth successive top flight title.

The 39-year-old has embarked on his third campaign in the dugout with significant pressure on his shoulders having failed to put any silverware in the trophy cabinet.

And Gerrard knows exactly what is at stake as their Old Firm rivals bid for a place in the history books in the coming months.

Gerrard said: “I'm aware of the situation we're in.

"And I'm aware that it will build as we go on.

"But for me, I have to stay calm. I don't think I'll benefit from getting tense or getting involved in thinking about it.

“My focus is 100 percent on trying to get three points against St Mirren then I'll move on to the next challenge.

“But I'm fully aware of what it means being the Rangers manager at this current time.”

Need to get players out get the wages down especially the ones the gaffer doesn’t see in his plans Barker Murphy Jones mccrory Docherty they just won’t get a game lets gets some cash for them streamline squad

He expects bids for more than just alfie then ?

Got to be Barisic or Kamara then or maybe Goldson ?

Need to get players out get the wages down especially the ones the gaffer doesn’t see in his plans Barker Murphy Jones mccrory Docherty they just won’t get a game lets gets some cash for them streamline squad
We have to be carefull as well though, historically we have had horrendous injury problems and sometimes we are down to the bare bones

Hopefully, the lockdown break has given SG the time to analyse our weaknesses. Music to my ears to hear about the engine room, and to sign 2 forwards, irrespective if Alfie goes or not.

I think we need a goal threat in there and I'm not talking about dropping Hagi back one. We need a midfielder who can do the tough side of the game but will also make late runs and notch 8-10 goals a season in the league.

That's the one area of the park where we don't get a standard amount of goals from. Our fullbacks and cente halfs get about as much goals as anyone's defenders. Our forward players the same altho the two behind Morelos need to chip in a bit more. But midfield contributes very little in terms of goals compared to other teams.

Not sure how much I’ll read into that.

Irrespective of what Gerrard says, we all know that certain players are absolutely guaranteed the shirt, regardless of performance or form.

Last edited:
Steven Gerrard has told Alfredo Morelos he won’t be guaranteed a start even if he stays at Rangers.

After capturing two new 
strikers last week – Kemar Roofe and Cedric Itten – the Colombian now faces stiff competition up front.

Lille have reportedly had a £16million bid for Morelos rejected with Rangers out for their £20m asking price. Gerrard admitted after their midweek defeat to Bayer Leverkusen that the 24-year-old has had his head turned by speculation.

Morelos produced a poor performance against the Germans and his manager insists – with Roofe and Itten in the door – his place is now under serious threat.

Gerrard said: “Whether Alfredo stays or goes, he has a fight to keep the shirt as we want competition for every position.

Steven Gerrard hails Rangers 'loyalty' as club reveal record-breaking sales ahead of third kit launch
“That brings the best out in everyone. We don’t want any player to automatically think it’s their shirt every week.

“I want everyone fighting for game time. The players have no choice, competition is coming. It’s what the fans want and it’s the way it should be at a club like Rangers.”

Gerrard, whose side take on St Mirren today in their first home league game of the season, insists most of his incoming transfer business is done.

But after the arrival of Calvin Bassey, Jon McLaughlin, Leon Balogun, Roofe and Itten, he admits a new midfielder could be the last piece in his Ibrox jigsaw.

He also expects some fringe players to leave – with the likes of Ross McCrorie and Greg Docherty set to exit.

Gerrard said: “I’ve been open about wanting to add something in our engine room. We’re trying to do that.

“Then we’ll see what happens. I know clubs are looking at our players and I expect bids to land for certain people.

“I’ll never shut the door on a player unless he wants to do it himself. But some want to go and I respect that.”

Gerrard hinted he now has the option to go three at the back in a 3-5-2 formation.

He said: “We’ve got that option with four terrific centre-backs and more firepower in the door.”

But the Ibrox boss promised not to get caught up in the fervour over Gers’ bid to stop Celtic’s 10-in-a-row quest. He said: “We know how important this season is.

“It’s vital we qualify for the group stage of Europe again and, having been here two years, domestic competitions are even more important for myself.

“We are as hungry as ever to put that right. I have to stay calm. I don’t think I’d benefit from getting tense. My focus is on trying to get three points against Saints then I’ll move on to the next challenge.”
He's not the only one.
Although it's time for 'El Buffalo' to move on. First.

He expects bids for more than just alfie then ?

Got to be Barisic or Kamara then or maybe Goldson ?
More likely to be in reference to fringe players like Doc, McCrorie, Jones, etc. Barisic & Kamara's value will peak at the Euros at the end of the season. Unless a big offer comes in prior to that it would be silly to sell them.

We have to be carefull as well though, historically we have had horrendous injury problems and sometimes we are down to the bare bones
Yeah I know what you mean but we have enough midfielders wide players to get rid of all above and maybe give us room for 2 new midfielders
Selling buff would still make sense as he doesn’t look himself and the gaffer might have more players up his sleeve

The gaffer is done with Alfie IMO. He wants someone to play the 6 and push Jack forward where he’s been at his best for us.

Gerrard is spot on as per usual.

Morelos will need to up his game to get the move he craves too, never mind get into the Rangers team.

On fringe players wanting away, no surprise and this needs to happen. I’d imagine it’s the likes of Docherty, Stewart, Barker, McCrorie, Jones. I’d happily replace all 5 of them with 2 of much better quality. It’s a shame for the likes of Doc and McCrorie in particular as they were no doubt desperate to succeed at Rangers but it seems unlikely so probably best to move on and forge a career elsewhere. If I was to keep one of them it would be McCrorie for his versatility and we know he can be a physical asset in midfield when needed. We don’t really have that in the squad.

Not sure how much I’ll read into that.

Irrespective of what Gerrard says, we all know that certain plays are absolutely guaranteed the shirt, regardless of performance or form.

Indeed, we all know there’s a few who, barring injury or suspension, will start every single game regardless of form, even if they’re having a weekly nightmare or they cost us points. It’s one thing saying everyone has to fight for their place, it’s another thing actually enforcing that sort of mentality.

Back