Gerrard

He will regret this move.

GVB is a better manager, SG wouldn't have been the success in Europe we had this season.

My only critism of GVB is the 12 point swing. Other than that I am happy and expect a better season when he has a window to play with.

There was an 8 point swing. We were 4 ahead when he took over and we finished 4 behind.

Yes at one point we did go 6 points ahead and they also went 6 ahead at one point, but the start and end points were 4 and 4.

By all accounts he was in Liverpool more than Glasgow
Yeah I'd read that on here

My point is that was essentially an issue he created for himself by not moving his family to Scotland with him.

I remember a few times when with us he mentioned how much he was sacrificing by being away from his family or something equally over the top, always seemed a bit odd given it was obviously their choice.

Anyway, I'd say next year is huge for his future career now. Tough to see where he'd go if it doesnt work out at Villa

He needs to get off to a good start next season otherwise he could be a gonner by Xmas.
I said this as soon as he left,its all so predictable poor start next season fans calling for his head before xmas.as they hover around the bottom league,Sacked will end up at sheffield weds or another mediocre championship side team after then end up on sky as pundit thats my prediction for Gerrard.

Probably not mate but I firmly believe had Gerrard stayed we'd have got nowhere near Seville.

Now Gerrard and his team are a huge part of why we got there, they laid the foundations pulling the squad together etc but you could see something wasn't right towards the end of his time here.
Bit unfair when he built the team and enjoyed the majority of our European success.

Gerrard will always be the man to me. Gave our club it’s pride back at home and in Europe and delivered the most important title of our lifetimes. He moved on for a new challenge, it happens and I will always root for him wherever he goes.

Must be so exciting being able to spend millions to go for mid table mediocrity every season instead of competing for trophies and European football.

Dick Advocaat said 3 years at Rangers is like 6 years at any other club. I think Steven was missing his family enormously. The football played in the Scottish Leagues is quite backward to say the least. Plastic pitches . Tiny grounds that are no better than English non-league. And of course the utter bitter jealous hatred by Scottish football towards Rangers FC. I think it finally took it's toll on Gerrard.
Sums it up plus lack of money from sponsorship and tv cash due to the cnuts who run the game in scotland.

Spent money to bring in Coutinho, and they’ve jumped up one place? Once the new manager bounce wore off it’s all been a bit rubbish really. He made an arse of that today with his changes.
Did he not take them over in 13th and they finished 14th?

Need to remember where we were before Gerrard came in.

Instantly made us competitive in Europe and but for a post winter break collapse in his first two seasons he may well have won 55 earlier than he delivered it.

The way he left was a bit crap but it turned out to be the right decision at the right time.

We all move on happy. I hope he does well down there.

Gerrard was a great manager for us.

However, his team collapsing last night after conceding a goal should be of no surprise to Rangers fans.

Must be so exciting being able to spend millions to go for mid table mediocrity every season instead of competing for trophies and European football.
The Villa owners aren’t pumping in the money they are just to accept mid table finishes.

I think they’ll expect them to be pushing for European football next season and failure to achieve it isn’t likely to go down well.

It’s a huge season for his career.

No malice towards Gerrard at all, he got us the league title, he left to go back to the league that he played in and knew well. His dream is to manage Liverpool, i dont think he'll ever achieve that.

We have a better manager in GVB.

The Villa owners aren’t pumping in the money they are just to accept mid table finishes.

I think they’ll expect them to be pushing for European football next season and failure to achieve it isn’t likely to go down well.

It’s a huge season for his career.
It's worth bearing in mind that Aston Villa have, on paper, a very good side already; improved last season to the tune of over £100m, without the addition of Coutinho. If anything, an argument could be made that Gerrard and his crew have this team underperforming there this season.

Last edited:
I think normally losing 3-2 away to Man City would normally not be anything to be ashamed of but conceding 3 in 5 minutes is making him a bit of a target on social media at the moment.

I don’t think this has turned out to be a good move for him. He says good things about us but it still sticks in my throat a bit the way he did it.
If it wasnt for the new manager bounce Villa got when he joined they would have been fighting it out with Leeds and Burnley

If his family wont move house then he is always going to be away from home.
To me even if he gets the Liverpool job , he wont last 2 seasons.
He aint no Klopp and the fans are now used to winning cups and being there with the league.
Imo SG cannot deliver that.

A good Rangers man whose son especially will always support us. He will regret leaving though.

What a job he did building the team we are about to dismantle though. A huge figure in our history given the money he brought into us.

Never a Rangers man in a million years, never mind a good one.

Gerrard was all about Gerrard.

Spent money to bring in Coutinho, and they’ve jumped up one place? Once the new manager bounce wore off it’s all been a bit rubbish really. He made an arse of that today with his changes.
Was at West Ham v Villa and they looked very poor. Need to see what next season brings but I wish him all the success in the world.

It's worth bearing in mind that Aston Villa have, on paper, a very good side already; improved last season to the tune of over £100m, without the addition of Coutinho. If anything, an argument could be made that Gerrard and his crew have this team underperforming there this season.
I imagine the Villa owners won’t be entirely happy that in six months all Gerrard managed to do was improve them one place in the table.

To be fair to him he got off to a decent start and looked like he’d certainly take them into the top half, which should have been more than achievable.

Instead it all seemed to stagnate and he finished more or less where he started, which nobody can really dress up as a success.

As said elsewhere, he needs to hit the ground running next season or he could quite conceivably be toast before Xmas.

Personally, I hope he succeeds.

I’d go as far to say that Villa is as good a team in England that Gerrard will ever manage, and he’ll never manage a team in Europe again.

Gerrard will always be the man to me. Gave our club it’s pride back at home and in Europe and delivered the most important title of our lifetimes. He moved on for a new challenge, it happens and I will always root for him wherever he goes.
Sums it up for me.

Part of me doesnt give a shit due to the way he departed us but that anger has began to soften a little.

For liverpool fans to be having a pop at him for being beaten at City is a bit rich, far better teams have gone there and taken a roasting.

Liverpools destiny was in there own hands, Dropped points to spurs twice and dropped 4 points at new year to Leicester and Chelsea.

Liverpool lost the league not Villa handing it to City

If Beale goes somewhere during the summer then it will be interesting to see how he does. I doubt he will see next season out.
Got to agree with this. I am thankful for the team he built and the journey we went on and 55 but this could really affect him if Beale goes, I think he was a huge factor in our success.

No malice towards Gerrard at all, he got us the league title, he left to go back to the league that he played in and knew well. His dream is to manage Liverpool, i dont think he'll ever achieve that.

We have a better manager in GVB.
I agree. I don't think he will ever be an "elite" manger. Something Liverpool will be looking for when Klopp leaves.

If we remove the blue tinted glasses you could see that domestically we were not playing well before he left.
Always be grateful to him and thankful for 55 but I think we are in better hands now
I wouldn’t word it like that, yet. Sometimes a change is needed for both parties and that is where we were.

Gerrard‘s goal of becoming Liverpool manager took an absolute humping yesterday. Scousers very much blaming him for them losing the title (which is unfair, but that’s what he’s now up against).

I agree with DeeCeeTee above, I think Gerrard has blown it. The idea of working in the EPL alone being progress was incredibly naive on Gerard’s part.

He’s going to look back in a few years time, and realise leaving us was the biggest mistake of his managerial career.

We all know SG wants to manage Liverpool eventually, but, if as a team they continue to win trophies year in and out and remain one of the top two in England. When Klopp does finally decide to move on i doubt the Liverpool board will take SG on unless by then he has proven by then to be a winner in the EPL.

No room for sentiment in football.

No football man or true winner swaps Rangers for Aston Villa.
He swapped Scottish football, opponents, refs and shoddy stadia, for English football, a top club, better refs, glamour and Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Spurs, et al.

If he was a dyed in the wool Bear, then maybe he might’ve stayed but he’s English and the chance to move closer to home after 4 years up here was too strong to ignore.

SG built one of the best Rangers teams we’ve had recently and he will always be lauded for me.

Bittersweet when he left but he was always going to leave.

I wish SG well. His drive and personality was key to our journey back to the top. Gio is calmer and arguably more sophisticated in his approach. He must be backed in the summer.

When you look at the clubs who are being successful / performing above expectation in the PL it is the ones who retain their managers longest. Klopp/Pep who of course have massive financial advantage. Brentford manager is 3rd longest serving and got them 13th in their first season up. Potter at Brighton has 2 close runs with relegation, now finishes 9th, Arteta - twice finished 8th now up to 5th, Moyes finished 16th, 6th and this season 7th but with EL semi final.

Sacking managers constantly does not work. Unless he is in dangerous relegation territory and loses the dressing room, or failing to meet agreed targets they really should give him that 2-3 years to make it work.

When you look at the clubs who are being successful / performing above expectation in the PL it is the ones who retain their managers longest. Klopp/Pep who of course have massive financial advantage. Brentford manager is 3rd longest serving and got them 13th in their first season up. Potter at Brighton has 2 close runs with relegation, now finishes 9th, Arteta - twice finished 8th now up to 5th, Moyes finished 16th, 6th and this season 7th but with EL semi final.

Sacking managers constantly does not work. Unless he is in dangerous relegation territory and loses the dressing room, or failing to meet agreed targets they really should give him that 2-3 years to make it work.
Really great point. I wonder if Burnley made a huge mistake in the run in.

Does that include telling us porkies about negotiations that had taken place, the cheek he gave Emma Dodds and buggering off down south more and more often as time went on and interest in us had clearly wained?

I don’t want him to fail elsewhere. But at the same time I’m not fussed if he does either. What I will say is some still seem overly attached to him and give him far too much credit given his conduct at the end there.

I don't really care about his conduct at the end tbh mate. I dont think it was that bad. But then I accept how football works.

If we remove the blue tinted glasses you could see that domestically we were not playing well before he left.
Always be grateful to him and thankful for 55 but I think we are in better hands now
No one can argue with that.

It’s like we went stale and needed a new input of ideas, good luck to Stevie and thanks for a massive accomplishment.
Building a team that can hold their own in Europe and bring home 55.

Good luck to him, but again Stevie and the English title seem to be like oil and water.

Said it many times in the past, when you look at successful managers, he’s still a ROOKIE learning his trade and he’s lucky our directors gave him a chance.

Gerrard is too rigid and struggles to change games if his plan doesn't work. That said I think it's only fair to judge him at Villa after he's had a summer transfer window, but he will need to show that there is upwards movement. I don't know what success looks like at Villa. 10th? 6th and a cup?

The guy also won't get the time he was given at Ibrox because the club will shit it if it even looks remotely likely that relegation is a possibility.

Yes, we thank him for 55 but if he starts raiding our team he can forget the goodwill.
Villa have been mediocre to say the least and losing late goals in a game brought back uncomfortable memories

Back