Gerrard's 3 seasons in graphs : updated 09/01/22

cambridgeblue

UPDATED POST SLAYING OF THE SHARK MOLESTERS AT Ibrox

May be one for the saddos but here are three graphs comparing the league points gained by us since Gerrard took over.

Firstly Total Points : we are 6 points ahead of last year !

PTS090121.jpg

Secondly - average points per game - again ahead - past the point of last years slump..

APPG090121.jpg

Last 5 games ? Rock solid this year - but again we are past the slump

5-GPTSA0901.jpg

As requested - goal difference : total and last 5 games. In hindsight we should have seen the dip coming last year. We have been less free scoring in the last few games.

GD0901.jpg

Last 5 games rolling average GD...

5-GRGD0901.jpg

Last edited:
The big difference for me is the control we have in games and barely conceding any chances . Second half today a prime example we should have scored more but we never looked like conceding . In seasons gone by especially away from home we were always under siege for a spell and often turned one goal leads into defeats in games we should have been well clear . This season we’ve put games out of reach for the most part but even when not like today we regained control . Fantastic stuff !

The big difference for me is the control we have in games and barely conceding any chances . Second half today a prime example we should have scored more but we never looked like conceding . In seasons gone by especially away from home we were always under siege for a spell and often turned one goal leads into defeats in games we should have been well clear . This season we’ve put games out of reach for the most part but even when not like today we regained control . Fantastic stuff !

Agree with you about being under siege in the past it could start as early as 75/80 minutes, today they had about 2/3 minutes of not very good pressure.

Great graphs, CambridgeBlue. If I was being really picky, I’d suggest adjusting the y-max to at least 100 on the first one and you probably don’t need the 3.5 on the others - we’re not that good just yet! :))

Btw, did anyone hear Michael Stewart trying to work out 2 x 38 on Radio Scotland yesterday? Comedy gold! Richard Gordon had to eventually bail him out.

Great graphs, CambridgeBlue. If I was being really picky, I’d suggest adjusting the y-max to at least 100 on the first one and you probably don’t need the 3.5 on the others - we’re not that good just yet! :))

Btw, did anyone hear Michael Stewart trying to work out 2 x 38 on Radio Scotland yesterday? Comedy gold! Richard Gordon had to eventually bail him out.

I'll work on that for the next update.

I guess the graphs don't reflect how much more comfortable games have felt - perhaps it's only 10-15% but that could be the 10-15 more points we need.

one metric that is very good to track progress over wins and losses in baseball analytics is run differential - i.e goal difference

i think similar graphs tracking us and their goal differences from the last three years would be telling

May be one for the saddos but here are three graphs comparing the league points gained by us since Gerrard took over.

Firstly Total Points : we are ahead of last year. Last year wasn't that bad at this stage.

Total-Points-2.jpg

Secondly - average points per game - again ahead but highlights the drop off last season - that was from game 20. 18/19 was such a poor start .

PPG2.jpg

Thirdly the rolling average of the last 5 games - we have already avoided the start of the 18/19 dip.

5-game-average.jpg

What does it all mean ? Well we aren't at crunch time yet - but we do have a better starting position to cope with any blips. May look very different come 1st Feb.
You’re right, you’re a Saddo but our Saddo and I for one love seeing the graphs . Keep up the great work mate

We look a lot more in control of games and the start has been absolutely top class. However we MUST keep pushing on. Every single one of us deserves 55 more than anything in the word. Great start, must continue for the glorious ending.

If I’m reading the first graph right does that not show we had 3 points after match day 1. Did we not draw 1-1 at Aberdeen opening day of season 2018-19?

Loving your work OP. From a guy who has in the past made up excel spreadsheets on pros and cons of different jobs, where to sit at Ibrox etc.

Rangers saddo Da’s unite

Disappointed to see the average points per game graph is capped at 3.5.

We should be aiming higher.

It means if we maintain this form until the end of January, #55 is pretty much in the bag.

No Europe, until end of February. See of St Mirren on Wednesday and then it'll be 8 games to make history.

So yes, we've just entered crunch time and we're looking good going into it.

Firstly Total Points : we are ahead of last year. Last year wasn't that bad at this stage.

Total-Points-2.jpg

Secondly - average points per game - again ahead but highlights the drop off last season - that was from game 20. 18/19 was such a poor start .

PPG2.jpg

Thirdly the rolling average of the last 5 games - we have already avoided the start of the 18/19 dip.

5-game-average.jpg

What does it all mean ?
Ot means that the people celebrating 55 need to settle down a bit, as it shows we were every bit as string this time last season b4 collapsing.

I don’t think these graphs reflect just how much we have improved. They show us only marginally ahead of last season.

Need to keep the blue line shooting off the chart.

one metric that is very good to track progress over wins and losses in baseball analytics is run differential - i.e goal difference

i think similar graphs tracking us and their goal differences from the last three years would be telling
If I get some time I’ll take a look at doing that - may give us some comfort.

Only 3 points better off than last season - but it was 3 points to the Pigs from the home game . That’s a big swing.

Most important thing is that IF we drop points ove next month or 2 is that folk dont panic and start questioning "bottle". The season lasts for 38 games. There will be some adversity but how we conduct ourselves and move to the next challenge is key.
We stick together as a support and a club and we will get the rewards. Start to split and we will suffer.

It’s terrifying looking at these charts how similar things are to last season . I just pray the outcome is different . We’ve been handed some outrageous fixtures for January . Quelle surprise

Great work again, CB. Like the new GD plots but the first graph is still my favourite - clearly shows the year on year improvement over the three seasons. Hopefully that will continue for the rest of the season.

These were mostly to cheer myself up and to convince myself that if we have a blip it’s still ok . 100 points is just over an average of 2.6 per game - we have some margin for the odd duff result.

Also - the progression year on year is clear.

UPDATED POST SLAYING OF THE SHARK MOLESTERS AT Ibrox

Firstly Total Points : we are 6 points ahead of last year !

PTS090121.jpg

Secondly - average points per game - again ahead - past the point of last years slump..

APPG090121.jpg

Last 5 games ? Rock solid this year - but again we are past the slump

5-GPTSA0901.jpg

As requested - goal difference : total and last 5 games. In hindsight we should have seen the dip coming last year. We have been less free scoring in the last few games.

GD0901.jpg

Last 5 games rolling average GD...

5-GRGD0901.jpg
Is it the wife's bad week?

Back