Gerrards conract lets have your thoughts bears

Sorry, just to confirm - to have the opinion taken seriously that Murty was shite was dependent upon having an idea in mind for someone to replace him?
"Dependent"? Ah, I get you now. You think I'm being unfair to you in my thinking you had alternative in mind when you appear to have been so opposed to the Gerrard appointment? I thought someone with your considerable opinion on this would have had someone else in mind; perhaps I was wrong.

IF we finish this season without silverware his reputation is shot. Not many Rangers managers in recent times has survived that, never mind two. ANYONE else would be out on their ear.

still back the manager and his staff 100%, this is not blind faith but logical, people are just pissed because it's taking longer than they want for meaningful success to be brought back to the club. starting a manager merry-go-round isn't the answer here, just more improvement is needed that is it, people need to have patience and look at the bigger picture instead of wringing there pants everytime we drop points, strong summer recruitment but not wholesale changes is what's required. The league was realistically over but we still have important games to come.
This is exactly how I feel, don’t think I could have put it any better. It’s clear something good is getting built, and as frustrating as it is we need to stay the course.

"Dependent"? Ah, I get you now. You think I'm being unfair to you in my thinking you had alternative in mind when you appear to have been so opposed to the Gerrard appointment? I thought someone with your considerable opinion on this would have had someone else in mind; perhaps I was wrong.

Okay, so you're not going to reply to my direct question - purely/probably because it shows up your policy of criticism as containing the most inane criteria for judging someone's quality in the role - and instead you're going to repeat back to me an acknowledgement (in the process making a sad claim that I erroneously believe you're being "unfair" - it's not unfair, mate, just illogical) I've already made myself elsewhere in the thread. Playing a blinder, mate.

I know it’s not popular but I’m done with Gerrard. He’s gone IMO, matter of time. Whenever I’ve decided this before the manager had never recovered. Devastating.

It was obvious that we should have waited to see. Three seasons was enough, and we could have parted company without any money changing hands.

Now it means we're stuck and have to keep going until he resigns or the contract is up.
Let’s face it when it comes to contracts this board hardly has a great record.

God forbid Glasgow Rangers sullies his good name. If he fails to win anything this year then he should be sent packing for being shite. He is lucky we gave him a chance if he doesnt take it then thats on him.

Exactly mate, what is this pish we hear constantly from the Gerrard fanboys. Gerrard will go before Glasgow Rangers failings sully HIS great name? Born winner etc? He was an extremely lucky boy a club the size and with the standing of Rangers took a gamble on him. He was backed up with a lot of investment also. I'm sick of hearing it, he will fail through no one's fault but his own, and anyone who decides it was the clubs fault can f*ck off with him when he leaves!

Okay, so you're not going to reply to my direct question - purely/probably because it shows up your policy of criticism as containing the most inane criteria for judging someone's quality in the role - and instead you're going to repeat back to me an acknowledgement (in the process making a sad claim that I erroneously believe you're being "unfair" - it's not unfair, mate, just illogical) I've already made myself elsewhere in the thread. Playing a blinder, mate.
I'm not playing a blinder, I'm asking you seriously to suggest someone who you thought would have done a better job. Maybe I was unfair, but, at any time have you thought Gerrard's appointed to he a good one? Why is it so not possible for you to have had someone you would have liked to have been appointed instead?

I'm not playing a blinder, I'm asking you seriously to suggest someone who you thought would have done a better job. Maybe I was unfair, but, at any time have you thought Gerrard's appointed to he a good one? Why is it so not possible for you to have had someone you would have liked to have been appointed instead?

Of course you're not playing a blinder, you're having a nightmare. Being unable to even recognise that is pretty revealing.

Sorry, can I confirm again - and just a simple yes or no would suffice - you're not going to answer that previous question, are you?

I really don't know anything about football outside of Rangers. It's all I watch and read about. Couldn't tell you much else about any other team. For the reasons I've outlined throughout this thread, I'm confident that we'd have been able to appoint a manager with the prerequisite characteristics and someone who'd have us closer to Celtic. For you to continue in this line of questioning - I think I have answered everyone of your questions, while you've still to answer really basic ones of mine - is just getting tiring, and most of all, desperate.

Disappointing today however the result was again down to a couple of moments of madness. Looking at the league we have been beaten once more than then. We have drawn 3 more times. We are 22 points ahead of the dross - the same dross that cannot raise their game against them. We are in last 32 of Europe just like them. We were cheated out of the League Cup by them. We have had some truly game changing decisions against us again this season unlike them. Unfortunately being successful sometimes rests on fine margins - and they ain’t going our way. If SG is forced out who would we honestly get? Derek McInnes?

I think everyone gets that I think the more switched on fans recognise that changing managers isn't going to catch them any quicker.
The fans are turning and that's before we've lived through them actually winning the bloody thing again as you've pointed out before. You'd also have to say in terms of form they are odds on for another treble.

It's the beginning of the end for Gerrard, there's just an inevitability about how this will all play out.

The fans are turning and that's before we've lived through them actually winning the bloody thing again as you've pointed out before. You'd also have to say in terms of form they are odds on for another treble.

It's the beginning of the end for Gerrard, there's just an inevitability about how this will all play out.

At this stage I wouldn't disagree but this was always the case-it's one thing saying at the start of the season we need to plug the gap beat them a few times and hopefully win a trophy-it's another to live through it.

The real shock is so few of our fans seem to think that wasn't the most likely thing to happen them being the strongest again.

Got to stick and keep going with him I.m.o

I'm still of the opinion he has managed to get a group of average players punching above their weight for large periods of the season.
What we are seeing of late Is a better impression of our actual ability.

Eh, lose an international left back and then bring a St Mirren level left back in to cover paints a picture.
We have midfielders who are not naturally comfortable tackling or shooting at goal.

There are many deficiencies still there so I'm definitely in the camp that he's had us punching above our weight.

It's not working. He was brought in to challenge Celtic for the title and he has failed to do that.

I genuinely don't know where we go from here.

It's a movie we've all seen before.

We have capitulated in a way most of us never thought possible since battering them at Parkhead.

I'm afraid Gerrard has to shoulder most of the blame for that.

The Gerrard experiment has failed.

If I had my way I'd increase his contract. Today was a bad result and performances of late have been poor but it can't be denied the man has improved us tenfold. I also believe we are attracting quality players to the club due to his standing in the game.
Yeah but if he is unable to coach these said players the whole thing pointless.

It'll take a lot more than a draw at St Johnstone at this stage of the season to make me lose faith in Steven Gerrard.
Our inconsistent league form is frustrating. But the season isn't over, and there is still a lot to play for.

We've made a lot of progress in the past two seasons. There's definitely more quality in the squad and we're competing well in old firm games.

Thinking back to the capitulations we used to witness, I believe we should stick with him and his team for another season at least.

Gerrard should get one more season on the basis performances in Europe have been outstanding.
Domestically SG has been a failure.

Some people need to get over being star struck by SG. He has the privilege of starting his managerial career at the most successful clubs in the world, with millions of passionate fans, European football and the chance to
Win trophies every year.
Rangers do not have the honour of having Steven Gerrard as manager, he has the honour of being manager of Rangers.

This is not a dig at Gerrard post my feeling is that we should have waited to get something in the cabinet before thinking about an extension.Now if the board decided on a change it would cost us millions thoughts bears

Looking now I think we were too quick at the time, extending the contract. But at the time we were all thinking Gerrard was the best thing since sliced bread.

Things have changed since then, but I still have faith and I think he needs a little more time (not too much longer though)

Gerrard is a global icon in football m8. He's known the world over so I'd suggest he is certainly a legend and if he wins us our next league title he'll certainly become a Rangers legend.

I think we all know in our heart of hearts that the writing's on the wall for Gerrard.

What's he going to do next season to stop 10? Who can he bring in? Where's the money coming from? Can he be trusted to bring in winners?

Truth be told we're no nearer catching them now than we were under Warburton or Caixinha. Only the name Steven Gerrard is keeping him in a job.

Desperate times.

This is not a dig at Gerrard post my feeling is that we should have waited to get something in the cabinet before thinking about an extension.Now if the board decided on a change it would cost us millions thoughts bears
If you cast your mind back far enough tell me what team you would have - the Pedro/ Murty one that got put out of the europa league at the first hurdle and got pumped by an embarrassing number of goals by the unwashed on a regular basis or the team Gerrard has built in his time in charge.

Yeah but if he is unable to coach these said players the whole thing pointless.
After a poor result this is coming up more and more.

Has he made us more competitive in old firm games bearing in mind before he took over we were getting regularly pumped of Celtic so much so they got their biggest victory at Ibrox in 50 years?

Has he taken us to the group stages of European competition 2 years in a row from the first qualifying round bearing in mind that we were eliminated by part timers from Luxembourg before he took over?

To be able to do this he has the ability to coach these players.

Gerrard is a global icon in football m8. He's known the world over so I'd suggest he is certainly a legend and if he wins us our next league title he'll certainly become a Rangers legend.
How long do we have wait. Hes done nothing up here to merit being referred to as a legend.
Legend as a player.
Manager?........Eh NAW.

I’m at a crossroads with Gerrard in all honesty.

He doesn’t appear to be learning, like we thought he had earlier in the season, and we have fine backwards at an alarming rate since the winter break.

However, another manager sacking and another complete rebuild is only going to push us back further and strength that mob domestically.

Add that to the fact that Gerrard has improved us significantly since he came, that’s an irrefutable fact, and there are some notable achievements in his time in charge, albeit none of them include a trophy.

I just desperately want us to get back on track and put these last few weeks behind us, that’s the point I keep arriving at in my mind every time I think about the current situation.

We need to see some serious improvement and we need to see it now.

Have to laugh at us as last week everyone wasnt happy with SG and on Thur nite all was forgotten and after today back to not being happy again and hopefully after wed when we get a good result away to braga all will be forgotten again , Im happy enough to wait till next season as SG should be given 3 seasons at least as we arent like the english lge when we are calling for to sack a manager too soon! He still has done well so for as been a rookie manager and is learning the trade

This thread just epitomises why I should avoid coming onto FF shortly after we drop points or have a poor performance.
Between the extreme panty wetting and bi-polar opinions on whether Gerrard is our salvation and saviour or a "failed experiment" within 3 days just reinforces that I made the wrong decision to wait a few hours and then log on tonight.
This place has lost its marbles tonight!

I think we all know in our heart of hearts that the writing's on the wall for Gerrard.

What's he going to do next season to stop 10? Who can he bring in? Where's the money coming from? Can he be trusted to bring in winners?

Truth be told we're no nearer catching them now than we were under Warburton or Caixinha. Only the name Steven Gerrard is keeping him in a job.

Desperate times.
I don't believe the writing is on the wall for him at all. I believe it would be outrageous to replace him as manager as everyone can see we've improved massively under his leadership. Obviously performances of late have been poor but he will work harder than most to sort this out and I still believe he'll be the man to win us our next league title.

You can tell when a manager is in trouble when the only argument for keeping him is “who would you get instead?”

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place thanks to a monumentally stupid decision by the board to extend (and no doubt improve) his contract. If we want to get rid then we have to pay him and his team a fortune and then embark on yet more rebuilding, yet again. If we stick with him, it is surely down more to blind faith and Hobson’s Choice than any tangible evidence that he can close the gap on the scum. He had extended the gap between us and the rest of the dross but it would be gross incompetence if he hadn’t based on the financial disparity. The Euro run is the only positive with no caveats from his tenure. But even this isn’t closing the gap on them as they are at the same stage as us with a better chance of qualifying. They will earn the same as us -we are not closing the gap. Before anyone mentions their wage bill, they have proved they can flog players for a fortune and replace without any detriment to them which plugs the gap. We have still shown absolutely no sign of doing this, mainly because our recruitment has been so poor. We wouldn’t get our money back on Kent, Morelos would bet a profit but nowhere near the ludicrous figures quoted on here but after that? There may be players with potential (Aribo, Edmundson) but they would need to turn that into something tangible first.

We have had 2 years of pretty poor recruitment; the core of the side is basically the same failures from the Pedro era augmented by a sprinkling of over-hyped signings and some pathetically poor loanees.

It is becoming clear that Gerrard is out of his depth and will be unable to close the gap on them. But we can’t get rid of him. It is hugely depressing.

How long do we have wait. Hes done nothing up here to merit being referred to as a legend.
Legend as a player.
Manager?........Eh NAW.
As long as it takes but I'm sure you'll admit that Gerrard has improved us massively since taking over and if he's the man that wins us our next league title then he will be a Rangers legend.

After a poor result this is coming up more and more.

Has he made us more competitive in old firm games bearing in mind before he took over we were getting regularly pumped of Celtic so much so they got their biggest victory at Ibrox in 50 years?

Has he taken us to the group stages of European competition 2 years in a row from the first qualifying round bearing in mind that we were eliminated by part timers from Luxembourg before he took over?

To be able to do this he has the ability to coach these players.
I take the European thing 150% he has massively improved us on that score . Any numptie could get us closer to Celtic when we were lining up with a midfield 3 of Kranjkar , Windass and Barton.

Still believe he's the man for the job however..

1) His post match comments today were bad.
2) If he's lost the dressing room, or whatever's happened since the winters break, he needs to fix it ASAP.
3) He needs to sit in a room with all his tacticians and coaching staff before the start of next season and spend a long time thinking hard about how the %^*& we're gonna beat 1) Aberdeen 2) Killie and 3) Break down defences. We can't go into yet another season struggling to beat the Aberdeen and Killie.

I don't believe the writing is on the wall for him at all. I believe it would be outrageous to replace him as manager as everyone can see we've improved massively under his leadership. Obviously performances of late have been poor but he will work harder than most to sort this out and I still believe he'll be the man to win us our next league title.

There's nothing to suggest that will be the case other than blind loyalty to Gerrard.

I'll go even further and suggest that if we lose to Braga and don't win the Scottish Cup he will walk.

I love Steven Gerrard. Unfortunately I don't think we'll win a single trophy with him in charge.

Desperate times.
Desperate post,comparisons are like night and day - yes we are hurting but ffs get a grip on the reality of where we have come from with our present manager to where our last 2 managers had us.
And don’t forget we are still being financially hindered and held back by the actions of chuckles and his contracts.
Our current manager has brought more money to the club in 18 months through our team’s performances in Europe, than any contract we have signed during his short tenure in charge of the Rangers, this season alone is around £17m and counting.
Sure I’m not happy on our latest league results and performances, but I’m also certain that we will come through this and build a squad under Gerrard that will win us 55 before the soap dodgers get to 10.

no matter what happens this season , he gets next season and thats his final chance. unfortunately we are dwarfed financially by them its not an even playing field but that doesnt excuse some of our results but we are work in progress, if people want to start over again fair enough , we will end up even further away.

The idea of sacking Gerrard is ridiculous.

Firstly getting rid of him his staff will involve a pay off as their all under contract .

Then you look at then likes of Goldson, Katic, Kent, Aribo who all came here because of Gerrard. Could also add Hagi, Kamberi to this

You bring in someone else who wants to rebuild and put their own stamp on the team -somass overhaul.

How much will all that cost? It will put us further back.

• We have a better points tally than this point last season.

• We’ve shown we can beat the tims home and away. Which we’ve not done since coming back up.

• Should have won the league cup final if it wasn’t for a hand ball and penalty miss.

• Last 32 of Europe .
Probably an unpopular opinion on here but I fully back Gerrard and think if its not this season, we can win the league next season - keep a hold of kamberi, Hagi. Cash in on alfi and some additional backing and bring in some quality. Why not?

Gerrard has been a manager for less than 2 years and I think what he’s doing so far is going in the right direction.

Don’t get me wrong I’m raging and felt sick after today’s game but I’m trying to think realistically.

You can tell when a manager is in trouble when the only argument for keeping him is “who would you get instead?”
It's not the only argument the problem is the people that want rid of him don't listen to the good parts of gerrard, they're adamant that they want him out and replaced by someone nobody can name that will do a better job.

If gerrard was doing such a poor job it would be easy to name a replacement. The fact nobody who wants rid of him can name even 1 good, possible replacement is a testament to how Gerrard has done - and that is why we should keep him because when you sit back and think realistically you realise how good Gerrard has done for us - and if you need a reminder then have a read at @CoulibalyLoyal loyal 's post

Back