Gerrards conract lets have your thoughts bears

The huge issue is that no-one including the board know "where we go from here".

We remain behind them in terms of transfer budget, squad size, experience and future revenue. So the manager needs to be someone who can utilise their skill to close the gap where money can't do so...

My best guess is that we get in a British (or British style) coach with experience, and someone who understands the physical nature of the game here. Someone who has perhaps worked well in English Championship? But then that could describe my big hero Mark Warburton and look how that ended....I was first to mention him on here and went full retard on his appointment. :-(

Personally I laughed less than most did at the idea of Neil Warnock. That idea was actually more sensible than an inexperienced advocate of "The Barca style" which has in essence proved pretty shit since return to SPL. In essence we have had a few years now of Marco Silva and perhaps a few years of Chris Wilder or Sean Dyche might have been more useful. I am personally now sick of transitions, false tens, inverted wingers and the like....all meaningless.

Good God the blind leading the blind comes to mind.we are not competing in the league we are making the same mistakes as last year .good until December then collapse in January.once the pressure is off then no doubts we,'ll improve again like last year
What you are doing is nothing more than trying to put a positive spin on things.
It's the entire season that counts not just selective highlights
The first part of your post is complete rubbish to start with as well .what we expect is to challenge for the league not challenge for the first half of the season .come back to me at the end of the season mate .
1. If the referees done their job correct we would be competing in the league.
2. Given where we were, we have no right to be competing with the league at this stage - the fact we are is a testament to how well Gerrard has done.
3. Funny you say it's the entire season that counts, your the one selectively looking over the past month.....

What you are doing is looking at a month in isolation and listing all faults with it while completely ignoring the good parts of the season & what gerrard has done for us

Was wondering if you could link to a post of yours where you expressed your thoughts on Gerrard 6 weeks ago?

1. If the referees done their job correct we would be competing in the league.
2. Given where we were, we have no right to be competing with the league at this stage - the fact we are is a testament to how well Gerrard has done.
3. Funny you say it's the entire season that counts, your the one selectively looking over the past month.....

What you are doing is looking at a month in isolation and listing all faults with it while completely ignoring the good parts of the season & what gerrard has done for us

Was wondering if you could link to a post of yours where you expressed your thoughts on Gerrard 6 weeks ago?
So the same thing happened last season .you have a very selective memory we care good for the first half of the season and seem to collapse the second half.seems to be a pattern forming there don,t you think or in your case properly not .as for being selective I,m simply pointing out the facts to you.
Honestly mate there is no point in having a discussion with you.as I said come back to me at the end of the season.
If you are still banging the drum for Gerrard then good fair play to you.

Last edited:
S
Disclaimer - I want to stick with Gerrard for now.

Being as honest and pragmatic as I can, only one name comes to mind

Gio van B and Frank de B. would be seen as risky projects yet again, despite their success while playing for us.

Most EPL managers are out of our financial league and even out of them, how many are real ‘winners’?

Who does that leave that knows us, the Scottish game and isn’t retired?

Tin fucking hat on for this, but I really can’t see who else...

Barry Ferguson.
So no better options then?

We remain behind them in terms of transfer budget, squad size, experience and future revenue. So the manager needs to be someone who can utilise their skill to close the gap where money can't do so...

My best guess is that we get in a British (or British style) coach with experience, and someone who understands the physical nature of the game here. Someone who has perhaps worked well in English Championship? But then that could describe my big hero Mark Warburton and look how that ended....I was first to mention him on here and went full retard on his appointment. :-(

Personally I laughed less than most did at the idea of Neil Warnock. That idea was actually more sensible than an inexperienced advocate of "The Barca style" which has in essence proved pretty shit since return to SPL. In essence we have had a few years now of Marco Silva and perhaps a few years of Chris Wilder or Sean Dyche might have been more useful. I am personally now sick of transitions, false tens, inverted wingers and the like....all meaningless.
You made some good points there mate

Right man for the job imo and has made great strides, I honestly believe he is not far away from success and though our form has dipped we need to get right behind the team! Its one thing to criticise and another to berate, they need us and our support in the right way even if frustration gets the better of us?

I would tell Gerrard he has too sack some of his Coaching staff and bring in experienced assistant and coaches that know Scottish football if he still manager next season. I have no faith in him our his coaching staff turning Rangers in to Champions. We lack a leader on the park a captain to motivate his team mates.

Steven Gerrard is not getting sacked, if you think he is or think he is close to it then you are wrong.

He said it would take 4 years and we aren't even halfway through yet! I want it to be quicker too!

I have plenty of faith in him that it will work eventually it's only his 2nd full season in management consistency comes with experience experience he is gaining all the time I don't think we can get a better manager in in the modern game anyway we would be sacrificing the brand and prestige of him in the game and he clearly has showed he can be an excellent manager we have to back him and the players through this tough patch they are having
This.

I think this is the elephant in the room. I am surprised more eyebrows weren't raised when Dave King announced he was stepping down because 'things had returned to normal'. I am grateful to King but it seemed, to me, as if there was lots of things still to do - improve income, sort out retail, supporter engagement, reputation management, the 2022 celebrations that have been quietly shelved, etc. I suspect King is exhausted by it all and has done all he's willing to do. He's been unlucky in some respects - he would normally have had a trophy or two by now - and certainly not as lucky as Murray. But I think it means the board are just at an impasse now. We'll keep Gerrard for the European income and for the progress in other areas but we're just waiting/hoping for the Bheggars to slip back. I don't think there is any other plan than that.

What was it Burns said in 1989 about them? "If they [Rangers] keep buying £1m, £1.5m players, it doesn't guarantee success but it does lower your failure rate...we'll keep trying but it's going to be difficult." Is that where we are at now? We're at the our limits financially and we'll just keeping plugging away, hoping for a break?

I'll never understand why the board didn't choose to engage with the support from 2015 onwards.

The question is if we win nothing next season and lose out on a trophy this season do we stick or twist and gerrards contract is to 2024 remember.

He needs shot of Goldson n Katic , and to bring in 2 no-nonsense CBs ...and a similar defensive midfielder !!

We've improved massively under SG, but we certainly aren't the finished article.
I'd stick with him for 3 years and see where we are at that point.
He's still a big draw for signings that we probably couldn't afford and great for our worldwide marketing.
We need to be patient and see the bigger picture.

For all his collapses after the January break are appalling it’s clear football shouldn’t be played in the winter months here the state of the pitches and weather conditions make it easier for the opposition to get us playing at their level since it’s impossible to play slick football on it

What
So we keep him untill his contract is up even of he achieves nothing? Thats madness, i hope he wins the cup this year and next season we really push on. If however that doesnt happen then we cant just say we cant afford to get rid of him

I’m no expert in the matter but it’s a question that needs consideration... we have no money. I hope he wins everything but the folk shouting for his head need to realise that we are not in the position to throw money at it.
I think he would need to walk without any sort of payment package... I’ve no inside info though.

What

I’m no expert in the matter but it’s a question that needs consideration... we have no money. I hope he wins everything but the folk shouting for his head need to realise that we are not in the position to throw money at it.
I think he would need to walk without any sort of payment package... I’ve no inside info though.
Im no expert either and i dont know how much it would cost us. I think we are past having no money, we spent over 10m on players last season and have to assume that that is near our budget year on year. We made decent mo ey from europe this year also. I know that doesn't mean we are flush by any means but if we wanted to then i believe we could get rid.
A new manager doesnt need a whole new team, our squad is decent if not very good for the spl, we need a manager that can play to the plywrs strengths and not pick a formation and stick with it when we dont have the players for it

Biggest thing for me is how disinterested he looks since the turn of the year.

I reckon he's chucked it. Who knows what has happened behind the scenes, could be a variety of factors but he looks like he gives less and less of a fùck as the weeks go by

I reckon theres a chance he will walk if the scum win another treble

I reckon he's chucked it. Who knows what has happened behind the scenes, could be a variety of factors but he looks like he gives less and less of a fùck as the weeks go by

Can’t agree with that. I don’t see him as disinterested at all. You just need to watch him on the touch line or his interviews

I doubt he would want this scenario on his CV. He wont leave until he has won the title.

What a fickle bunch we are, we've made massive strides under Gerrard. I for one have faith in him.
Despite a poor run of results, we will still receive big money for some of our players in the summer. Hopefully that will let him spend a bit on the quality we need to sustain a challenge.

wboever rewarded him with a contract extension and most probably a pay rise?

This is not a dig at Gerrard post my feeling is that we should have waited to get something in the cabinet before thinking about an extension.Now if the board decided on a change it would cost us millions thoughts bears
Yet another Scottish media post claiming to represent Rangers fans by the Groin Brigade. YAWN.

Rangers v Braga views on Youtube +1M hits

Copenhagen v Cellik 175k

Who's the bigger draw?

Last edited:
I started this post to get bears thoughts about gerrards contract extension.If everbody had the same option it would be a boring post.

We are not attracting anyone else in terms of manager nor players to challenge Celtic without money...bundles and bundles of it. We don't have the money it needs to repair all the damage done to us as quickly as you all want. It takes more than we've got access to if you want a quick fix. That is what your all greeting about. Your demanding a quick fix without the cash that facilitates that. He had one season to stop us being a laughing stock and he's tried to add a little more quality for this year. We need more than a little quality to bridge the squad gap with them. They have a head start on us. He's got us close best 11 v 11. We need to get closer to them squad Vs squad now. That will take time. It may see them do 10 in a row. It may see them add another treble.

When he arrived we were a pile of rubble.
I'm ok for him to keep laying the foundations to try and rebuild us.

I think Gerrard has to be utterly ruthless and let go of a number of his backroom staff Mcallister included and bring in proven experience of the Scottish game, that for me would be the first step.

He should be sacked if they win another treble.

They should be winning the trebble. They have the strongest squad and greater resources in our game buy a distance not to mention sympathetic referee's helping them out now and again. They are ranked no.1 and should in reality win it if results go to form.

If Celtic get put out say by St Johnstone in the next round (humour me) and don't win the trebble , you're giving him a pass? Your then ok to stick buy him?

If finances dictates everything explain how they caught us in 1998. Let’s stop giving them an easy way out. These players and mgmt are letting us down
So the management should have replaced every single one of those players?
If the players are all shite, how could the manager win with them all.
Sure he has replaced some of them but he couldn't replace all. He's had to try and work on the cheap. He's had to try and offload real shite. Those Mexican fecks for example. You think he could just do it all in one go and keep us remotely engaged in anything?
They never had a side back in 1988 which had just been raped and pillaged. Short memories!!. We are lucky to still be here. It's actually remarkable for me that we can now compete against them. A couple of years back they could have been beating us by 10 goals, that's how far away from us they were just a couple of years back.

Your all totally unrealistic with how long it will take to get back on top.

We've improved massively under SG, but we certainly aren't the finished article.
I'd stick with him for 3 years and see where we are at that point.
He's still a big draw for signings that we probably couldn't afford and great for our worldwide marketing.
We need to be patient and see the bigger picture.

This is exactly my view. Other options are either underwhelming or a big risk that I’m not sure we can afford. We’ve definitely improved and I’d stick with him at least another season after this one.

So the management should have replaced every single one of those players?
If the players are all shite, how could the manager win with them all.
Sure he has replaced some of them but he couldn't replace all. He's had to try and work on the cheap. He's had to try and offload real shite. Those Mexican fecks for example. You think he could just do it all in one go and keep us remotely engaged in anything?
They never had a side back in 1988 which had just been raped and pillaged. Short memories!!. We are lucky to still be here. It's actually remarkable for me that we can now compete against them. A couple of years back they could have been beating us by 10 goals, that's how far away from us they were just a couple of years back.

Your all totally unrealistic with how long it will take to get back on top.
Well said mate. 100%

Anyone wanting the Gaffer bagged needs their head looked at seriously.

He WILL lead our club to success and that I have no doubt.
Tell me why your sure? Will he get better players and will he change his set up and will he be able to be proactive and reactive during the 90 minutes? Will he stop slaughtering players publicly and keep it in the dressing room, you cannot pick and choose who are droppable and who are not, its not on and causes unrest. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say gerrard won't be here next season

This is not a dig at Gerrard post my feeling is that we should have waited to get something in the cabinet before thinking about an extension.Now if the board decided on a change it would cost us millions thoughts bears

I've a feeling that if a top half promotion chaser from the Championship come in for him from now on, offering a bounty for getting them into the Prem, he may be inclined to take it.

I don't believe we'll find ourselves in the situation where we have to pay them all off tbh. If he becomes available, fortunately for us, his name will attract interest.

Gerrard will be in the dugout next season!

Nobody knows the conditions of the new contract but my opinion on it is that the new one would only kick in after the current one ends provided he meets his KPI’s I.e a league win.

them getting 9 is tragic but 10 is unforgivable and if that happens that’s when he will be offski.

No semi decent manager would come to us if Gerrard left at the end of this season,it would pretty much guarantee them tramps 10.

If we end the season trophyless, I reckon he'll be away of his own accord.

He's a born winner and he's not going to let this shower of lightweights permanently damage his reputation.

So was Mourinho at Chelsea and Man U, but if you lose the dressing room you win nothing and ultimately lose your job. It is clear that SG isn’t getting the best out of the players and is treating certain players more favourably than others.

SG requires to put his ego, unsuitable tactics and favouritism to one side and manage the club to the success it deserves. He has made quite a few mistakes as befitting a rookie manager but unfortunately he is not learning from some them and if that continues nobody but the filth benefits.

Are you watching the same games as me ? He went mental with every goal against Braga !! You so called supporters should try supporting ! Gerrard inherited the worst squad in living memory with the club in its worst ever financial state. Celtic meanwhile have a huge strong squad and are loaded. Had Morelos scored a pen and they not been given a non goal the LC would’ve been at Ibrox . It’s a work in progress and he knows what is required. Try supporting ...

Care to name that pragmatic appointment that would've performed better than Garrard?
The familiar comfort blanket of Walter was floated on here several times after the McInnes debacle.

I honestly think some people just can't let go and allow him the retirement he so desperately deserves.

Back