Gerrard's interview with Carragher

Aye, at the start of last season's league campaign. Stating the obvious there. We would have been saying it before his first 2 seasons as well and then he absolutely bottled it the league and cup final in his second season. So it ended up being all or nothing only this time it was only the league that really mattered.

No idea why some folk rewrite history.
He never bottled the cup final,we were robbed by an offside goal ffs!

The European runs were amazing but its tinpot the way some use it to try and justify Gerrard's domestic cup record.

"Id rather have a good European run than a domestic cup" and while I would as well it really didn't need to be one or the other, we only made it that way because we were pathetic in the cups.

We were out of Europe in his first season when Aberdeen knocked is out of Ibrox. And last season when St J knocked us out the cup at Ibrox.

They all matter. If he doesn't bottle it in his second season we're on for 3IAR right now.
I didn't say they didn't matter of course we want to win every competition we enter that said stopping 10iar mattered more than any of the cups, progressing in Europe would also have helped the clubs finances massively. Gerrard was by no means perfect but to achieve what he did when we were so far behind was nothing short of remarkable.

But that’s what they said. You said it wasn’t the case that ten was all that really mattered. When he took over it was. Of course as time goes on ambitions change, but when he took over that was the main objective as Dave King himself stated.
Again, never actually argued that it wasn't the job when he first took over. You made the point that last season all that mattered was the league, which is true, but only became the case because we bottled it the season before.

Lots of bitter wee men in this thread.
Fucking embarrassing.

Everybody and their Granny always knew he'd leave for England.
Everybody seemed to accept that fate and that he'd eventually leave with our best wishes.
I don't recall anyone saying "He'll go with my best wishes unless he leaves mid season".

He achieved the almost impossible and gave me probably my most enjoyable season of my 62 years.
Excuse me for not jumping on the bitter wee man ship.

As a man who had considerable dislike for Gerrard as a player, I'm probably more likely than most to be bitter, but I've grown up.

Steven Gerrard has left us with a fine squad of talented footballers.
I can't bring myself to hate that.

I didn't say they didn't matter of course we want to win every competition we enter that said stopping 10iar mattered more than any of the cups, progressing in Europe would also have helped the clubs finances massively. Gerrard was by no means perfect but to achieve what he did when we were so far behind was nothing short of remarkable.
Nonsense. It should have been completed the season before last.

Remarkable would have been winning a treble last season.

Again, never actually argued that it wasn't the job when he first took over. You made the point that last season all that mattered was the league, which is true, but only became the case because we bottled it the season before.
That doesn’t make sense.

I said when he took over all that mattered was stopping ten in a row which he done. So he was a success.

A lot of disrespect for a guy who gave us a wonderful season last year. Without him we’d be in a world of pain just now.
No one liked how it ended but remember 20/21.
True but the biggest thanks goes to Park, Bennett and the rest of the board who funded 55 amid huge losses. They gave Steven the platform on which to build last season’s success. Even after some signings which were a huge waste of money (Grezda for instance), the board kept backing him.

Both get their thanks especially the board but if this season goes pear shaped, Gerrard’s legacy here will forever be tarnished.

He whored himself to Chelsea yet stayed with Liverpool. He must have been shite at whoring.

I don’t see how he can be classed as a coward it was a massive task for him to take over at Rangers. A coward could have taken an easy job in the EFL with none of the same pressures you get at Rangers.

He explains it in his book. He wanted to go, but a heart to heart with his dad and his brother convinced him that he couldn't live with damaging his legacy with "his people" and the support who adored him.

Maybe his decision to leave was in part down to his regret at not making the move during his playing career, who knows.

There were also rumours that some shady characters in Liverpool convinced him it would maybe be better for him if he remained in Liverpool.

He disrespected the club by leaving in the manner and time he left.
Come on, put your big boy pants on.

He saw an opportunity that he felt was right for him and his career progression and he took it.

It was far from ideal and we all hoped he was here for a little longer, but it is what it is.

He’s gone, we have a new manager, and tentatively speaking the football looks a bit better than it was under Gerrard.

We should all be happy about that.

Aye, at the start of last season's league campaign. Stating the obvious there. We would have been saying it before his first 2 seasons as well and then he absolutely bottled it the league and cup final in his second season. So it ended up being all or nothing only this time it was only the league that really mattered.

No idea why some folk rewrite history.

What in the name of %^*& is this nonsense? Utter drivel, folk have lost the plot now.

I'm not sure "bottled it" is the correct way to describe the LCF, but he made some seriously questionable decisions when we were one man up and had almost an entire half to play.

He explains it in his book. He wanted to go, but a heart to heart with his dad and his brother convinced him that he couldn't live with damaging his legacy with "his people" and the support who adored him.

Maybe his decision to leave was in part down to his regret at not making the move during his playing career, who knows.

There were also rumours that some shady characters in Liverpool convinced him it would maybe be better for him if he remained in Liverpool.
But he never left? If he did leave then fair enough. I struggle to have a got at someone for leaving when they err didn’t actually leave.

Good thing about Gerrard leaving, can go back to hating the scouse accent

I'm feeling it has went right down on the Spotify playlist as well

Fucking embarrassing.

Everybody and their Granny always knew he'd leave for England.
Everybody seemed to accept that fate and that he'd eventually leave with our best wishes.
I don't recall anyone saying "He'll go with my best wishes unless he leaves mid season".

He achieved the almost impossible and gave me probably my most enjoyable season of my 62 years.
Excuse me for not jumping on the bitter wee man ship.

As a man who had considerable dislike for Gerrard as a player, I'm probably more likely than most to be bitter, but I've grown up.

Steven Gerrard has left us with a fine squad of talented footballers.
I can't bring myself to hate that.

I actually feel a little sorry for anyone who harbours the hatred they do towards a guy they don't know on a personal level for a career decision he made.

Must be tough to be happy in life when it's stuff like this that makes you mad.

Nonsense. It should have been completed the season before last.

Remarkable would have been winning a treble last season.
Obviously we look at things differently but I can absolutely assure you every Rangers fan I know would've preferred to stop 10iar rather than winning a few domestic cups. I'd also add that prior to Gerrard's arrival Celtic were running up record scorelines at Ibrox against us and we were eliminated by part timers from Luxembourg in Europe so for him to take that challenge on and put us back on top is in my opinion remarkable, as the banner states A legend in Liverpool A God in Glasgow.

A lot of horrible nasty comments about Gerrard on here, he and his team put us back on top, brilliant European campaigns, unbeaten against the Tims in 2 years, yes the way he left wasn't the best but he's left us in a better position than when he arrived, wish him all the best.

But he never left? If he did leave then fair enough. I struggle to have a got at someone for leaving when they err didn’t actually leave.

I couldn't care less whether you wish to have a go at him. You replied to someone else saying he must have been pretty pish at whoring himself to Chelsea if he never left. He absolutely did whore himself to them and he absolutely did want to go. It was a last minute change of heart that stopped the deal from happening.

If you asked our fans at the start of the league it would be massively about stopping the 10. No idea why people rewrite history.

Every season is about winning the league as priority.

Gerrard had plenty opportunity to bring us success prior to winning 55.. or stopping the 10 as some call it.

The European runs were amazing but its tinpot the way some use it to try and justify Gerrard's domestic cup record.

"Id rather have a good European run than a domestic cup" and while I would as well it really didn't need to be one or the other, we only made it that way because we were pathetic in the cups.

We were out of Europe in his first season when Aberdeen knocked is out of Ibrox. And last season when St J knocked us out the cup at Ibrox.
Winning 2 trophies in Scotland vs progressing in Europe is my definition of tinpot.

The same throbbers in our support that are now giving it the "1 in 9" and "what about the cups?" would have been exactly the same people who would still moan like f*ck if he won every single cup in his time here, but failed to stop Celtic's kiddy on 10IAR.
Especially when nobody expected us to win any of the first 3 and they voted for who wins another. I'd also suggest we all know we've won 55 titles but most would be guessing at the number of Scottish/League cups. Throbber might seem harsh but it sounds about right - shifting the goalposts on to whatever it is they can moan about next.

In his second season we bottled the league under his management. Do you disagree?
I disagree that we bottled it, we hit a poor run of form and then they were awarded a title via a zoom call. There were 2 old firm games to play and we had a game in hand so I believe the authorities were very premature in awarding them that title.

What in the name of %^*& is this nonsense? Utter drivel, folk have lost the plot now.
This. People have unbelievably short memories. We were a laughing stock before Gerrard came in. He brought a mentality and an aura which completely transformed the club back to where we belong. There were hiccups along the way but it culminated in us absolutely wiping the floor with them in a season which was supposed to be their crowning glory. We fucking buried them. Add to this that he made us a force in European competition again after years of Pedro’s and Murtys, he should always be remembered as a hero by our support. Bloody embarrassing the panty wetting going on around him. Get over it.

I disagree that we bottled it, we hit a poor run of form and then they were awarded a title via a zoom call. There were 2 old firm games to play and we had a game in hand so I believe the authorities were very premature in awarding them that title.
I think they were premature as well. I think its delusional to think we would have made up a 13 point defecit after losing at home to Hamilton however.

Back