Gerrard's interview with Carragher

No matter how much of a rat he is for the way he left, I think we’ll all go on to be forever grateful for it giving us Gio who I think is going to be a monumental step up in quality.

To his own detriment at times, I think that SG is quite an emotional character under the surface and I think we will hear more about this in future years but for now he is very keen to move the narrative on to Villa, which he really does need to do for the sake of the job he is now in.

But so far it seems that in GVB we may have a manager who is better suited to where we are now and that is far more important than worrying about how the guy who chose to go feels.

I didn’t realize he was spending so much time down south. No wonder we were in a slump if we had a part time manager.

As for his time in charge, he undoubtedly left us in a stronger position than when he joined us, but ‘completing his remit’? One trophy in nine and failing to get past Malmo into the CL is not a great record for a Rangers manager.

He will forever be immortalized as part of the first Rangers team to reclaim the title after admin, but the way he left us in the lurch still leaves a bad taste. If he thought as highly of our club as he said he did then he would have negotiated a delay whilst he saw us through the Cup semi and a crucial EL tie. As it turned out we were able to salvage the later and important funds with it, but it was no thanks to Gerrard.

Gio is the man I wanted when Gerrrd got the job, so all’s well that ends well in the long run.

I like many others did not care for the way he left us. In saying that he brought us 55 and stopped the 9.75, GVB is an upgrade imo so lets move on

Lets be honest he was lucky he was still in a job pre COVID, that second mid season collapse was an embarrassment and I wanted him gone after the Hamilton game.

In the end of though he won us the league without a single defeat and that’s something I can never seen been done again for us.
I do remember getting into many back and forwards with you re sacking Gerrard in covid season

Being honest, as much as I defended him, I honestly wasn't super confident on winning the league or even going invincible. A remarkable feat that like you said, I don't think will ever happen again. Stuff like that is why history will be kinder to Gerrard than people think. Going invincible was a ridiculous feat and I don't think gets praised enough as everyone was so caught up in just winning - and not the manner we won it in.

I do remember getting into many back and forwards with you re sacking Gerrard in covid season

Being honest, as much as I defended him, I honestly wasn't super confident on winning the league or even going invincible. A remarkable feat that like you said, I don't think will ever happen again. Stuff like that is why history will be kinder to Gerrard than people think. Going invincible was a ridiculous feat and I don't think gets praised enough as everyone was so caught up in just winning - and not the manner we won it in.
Yeah I remember those disagreements with you around that time:))

I was bitter and angry after he left us a few weeks ago and was actually hoping to see his Villa side lose, but today I was hoping to see his team win and I actually hope he does well now.

The fact Gio has came in and the early signs look promising is obviously playing a part in my opinion on Gerrard now.

I was bitter and angry after he left us a few weeks ago and was actually hoping to see his Villa side lose, but today I was hoping to see his team win and I actually hope he does well now.

The fact Gio has came in and the early signs look promising is obviously playing a part in my opinion on Gerrard now.
Exact same as you. Though he's still a prick for how he left :)) I always expected him to do good in England- I think he will go on to be a top manager. But the salt in me wanted him to get pumped every game :D now I just don't really care about him any more, he'll do well in England and will regret leaving us more than we'll regret him leaving IMO

But seeing gio has us playing good etc has definitely eased the salty thoughts. As I said, Gerrard gave us good memories, wrote history but it's time to write the future and he won't be in it.

Warburton (and Souness for that matter) made their bed.
Pedro had to go, he was given far too much time.

Rangers don't have a habit of sacking managers, and the point was clear, to take anything else from what I typed takes a different level of lack of awareness or a determination to be contrary that makes the most argumentative on this board seem placid.

That's a big difference from something that has to happen and the kind of shit that has just happened at.... Let's say Villa, who just sacked a lifelong fan who took over the club 18th in the championship and in 3 years had them in the EPL, having lost their super star and still in a reasonable position but sacked 11 games into the season.
You put rangers Don,t sack managers for your point 5 .you didn,t put rangers Don,t have a habit of sacking mangers.the lack of awareness is actually on yourself.so there you go.
Think the problem is pal you are not happy that I pointed this out to you.not that I,m actually worried if you are happy or not.but I just thought I,d point it out to you any way.

True but the biggest thanks goes to Park, Bennett and the rest of the board who funded 55 amid huge losses. They gave Steven the platform on which to build last season’s success. Even after some signings which were a huge waste of money (Grezda for instance), the board kept backing him.
Both get their thanks especially the board but if this season goes pear shaped, Gerrard’s legacy here will forever be tarnished.
Imagine if the unthinkable happened and the scum won the league and the £30m bonus that goes with it, go on to sign new players, and dominate for years because our squad decides to abandon a sinking ship, and we don’t get anywhere near their market value as teams know we’re desperate for the money, the older players move on, the board can’t invest anymore, Gio leaves after one season of struggling with youth and loans and we basically end up back at 2018 pre Pedro levels. How will everyone feel then about Gerrards decision to move on mid season I wonder. Interesting thought. Just hope to god, that nightmare doesn’t become a reality

I’ll always remember what he did for us, but due to us getting a decent manager and someone who knows what rangers are about I’m happy. We were stagnant this season, it was time to change.

You put rangers Don,t sack managers for your point 5 .you didn,t put rangers Don,t have a habit of sacking mangers.the lack of awareness is actually on yourself.so there you go.
Think the problem is pal you are not happy that I pointed this out to you.not that I,m actually worried if you are happy or not.but I just thought I,d point it out to you any way.
Have you read that back to yourself?
You honestly can't be like that in real life.

Im only pissed at the fact he left mid season. Time will heal that. What he done for us should never be forgotten. Got us 55 n stopped 10, put us back on the map in Europe. Beating the likes of Porto, Braga etc was amazing. I wish him all the best.
A lot of wounds are still open for a lot of people but time will heal all them.
GVB is the new gaffer we just give him our support and concentrate on him.

WATP

True but the biggest thanks goes to Park, Bennett and the rest of the board who funded 55 amid huge losses. They gave Steven the platform on which to build last season’s success. Even after some signings which were a huge waste of money (Grezda for instance), the board kept backing him.

Imagine if the unthinkable happened and the scum won the league and the £30m bonus that goes with it, go on to sign new players, and dominate for years because our squad decides to abandon a sinking ship, and we don’t get anywhere near their market value as teams know we’re desperate for the money, the older players move on, the board can’t invest anymore, Gio leaves after one season of struggling with youth and loans and we basically end up back at 2018 pre Pedro levels. How will everyone feel then about Gerrards decision to move on mid season I wonder. Interesting thought. Just hope to god, that nightmare doesn’t become a reality
It wont be back to pre Pedro levels. We have been building up training facilities, investing in youth like Alegria and others, renovating the pitch and developing revenue streams. Also even if we don't win the league we still have a crack at champions league qualifiers. So will Celtic if we win this current league season. We won't get market value for players but even at massively reduced prices you are still looking at pretty large sums for players like Kent, Morelos, Kamara, especially Aribo right now. The nightmare scenario you describe won't happen

The interview was just a PR exercise/damage limitation on SG’s character.

The interview was his chance to say his piece.

At the end if the day we’ve came out of it better.
This is exactly how I feel about the interview.

It comes across like the questions were designed in such a way that allowed Gerrard to protect the brand.

For me, I’m amazed at how easy I have moved on from him, and now I’m not lapping up everything he says, I can see there’s a lot of sound bites with little substance.

And that’s it in a nutshell

I think most of us hung on to his every word, the love he supposedly had for the club and fans, the “once a Ranger always a Ranger” guff he came out with…..that’s what has annoyed people and most of us were taken in by that.
55 and the way we did it will never be forgotten. He did his job but it was just a job for him at the end of the day
One thing that we were all impressed with was his ability to handle the media. Clearly well trained.

One thing we probably didn’t join the dots on was using that same training to build the relationship with the fans.

I’m not saying he was false or lying etc etc through his entire time here. More that he knew how to get us on side.

He knows how to manage people.

Additionally, we heard many times from him how he had to give the players some home truths when they underperformed in a first half. Same as he said yesterday.

Maybe that’s part of the reason this season was so far off it. Players just didn’t buy into it for what ever reason.

In reflection, he has achieved really good things with us. On and off the park. I thank him. But in hindsight, the time he left us was perfect

Interesting. He moved on quick. Very much a brand Gerrard puff piece.

Cracking facilities at villa it must be said.

One thing that we were all impressed with was his ability to handle the media. Clearly well trained.

One thing we probably didn’t join the dots on was using that same training to build the relationship with the fans.

I’m not saying he was false or lying etc etc through his entire time here. More that he knew how to get us on side.

Additionally, we heard many times from him how he had to give the players some home truths when they underperformed in a first half. Same as he said yesterday.

Maybe that’s part of the reason this season was so far off it. Players just didn’t buy into it for what ever reason.

In reflection, he has achieved really good things with us. On and off the park. I thank him. But in hindsight, the time he left us was perfect
I’m beginning to think the same.

It wont be back to pre Pedro levels. We have been building up training facilities, investing in youth like Alegria and others, renovating the pitch and developing revenue streams. Also even if we don't win the league we still have a crack at champions league qualifiers. So will Celtic if we win this current league season. We won't get market value for players but even at massively reduced prices you are still looking at pretty large sums for players like Kent, Morelos, Kamara, especially Aribo right now. The nightmare scenario you describe won't happen
Genuinely hope not, thought it was worth pondering though, or a situation similar to this, maybe not as severe. But most will get what I’m saying, human nature being as it is, the fans would look for someone to blame……pretty sure Gerrard would be too if the list, and the question remains, would it actually be his fault?

That’s a great take on it, because for me, I’ve just been feeling deceived, that all the buying into rangers etc was all false. But you lay it out in a clearer way. I think when all’s said and done, he has a big ego and everything was done for his own personal good. I think probably relations between him and the board broke down dramatically when they called him to task for failing against Malmo, and the reason they broke down so badly was because gerrards ego is just not used to being questioned, as throughout his career it’s always been praise he’s received for his performances. But ultimately, my loyalty is to the board who supplied him with money they didn’t have and prevented players being sold so he could put out the strongest team. If gerrards ego couldn’t handle the thought that he failed then that’s on him. Still thank him for everything good that he did, but that’s it!

He will forever be immortalized as part of the first Rangers team to reclaim the title after admin, but the way he left us in the lurch still leaves a bad taste. If he thought as highly of our club as he said he did then he would have negotiated a delay whilst …

It was a hell of a bombshell for the fans but I get the impression Ross Wilson and the board were well informed and were able to act quickly.

There’s no hard feelings from them towards Gerrard at all which we should take are cue from.

Things had gone a bit stale anyway, doubt there’s many fans who wish we still had Gerrard and didn’t have Gio.

Wish Gerrard all the best and hope Villa do well.

I won’t watch the interview, was gutted in the manner in which he left …. He won’t regret leaving us but will at some point regret the manner in which he left us …

shrug-alan-partridge.gif

Are we going to have a thread every time Gerrard farts? Let it go, people.
What? like the endless Gilmour threads?

After Gio’s first four games and witnessing what seems that tactical superiority and step up in manager, I’m feeling less raw about it all.

For me at the time it stank due to it all arising shortly after Walter Smiths passing and Gerrards assured badge thumping words in interviews etc. He positioned himself as one of us, when he was being tapped up by another club despite the timeline he attempted to insult our intelligence with.

I personally wasn’t impressed with our collapse prior to their being gifted the league in 2020. Gerrard seemed clueless in finding an answer to that. At the time it didn’t fill me with great hope at all. But, he (and more importantly his team) delivered 55 and that’s been a huge relief. For me it was all about that, it’s been a course correction for us.

I guess as fans, we are aggrieved by being used as a stepping stone when our club means so much to us. Also being left for a club that’s far smaller, yet is cash rich due to league played. Reality bites unfortunately.

We are rangers, we are not defined by one man. We move on. Best of luck to him. Better fortune to us.

The signed sealed delivered in 2 days move to Villa for Gerrard plus 5 staff is an absolute lie, that could not have been done ffs it was not an Amazon Prime sale.
He prob gave his pal at Villa the nod weeks before and sneakily laid all the foundations then unbeknown to his then employers, that take slyness imo to new levels.
Was probably sounded out in the close season after doing a fantastic job of winning 55, and from then on in, for the owners, it was just a case of deciding when smith had to go

I think one of Gerrard's strengths is his weaknesses: he's very emotional.
Means he can really motivate players, but clouds his tactical judgement at times during games.

He loved his time at Rangers and remains respectful to the Club and its people.

Hes made a far better career move than many think and he will be a winning with Villa then onto other things in time.

He was perfect for Rangers as we were for him. It was time to move on and both parties have quickly and seamlessly.

The minority who put the bad mouth on him for leaving really show themselves up and give Rangers Support a bad name.

Nor me, file in the same bin as 2008 Manchester.

Same don’t know how people can watch the c*nt.

I watched most of the Villa game yesterday and wanted them to beat Rodgers as mad as it sounds - however no press conferences the sound of his voice makes me feel sick.

Sadly he’ll do well at Villa, if we win the league title Gerrard might not be hated as much in time and forgiven but for now he’s a lieing cowering loser, what’s his remit at Villa until Liverpool come calling?

He had nothing to do with Rangers as a player and doubt we'll ever see him back so excuse me if I don't follow his managerial career.

If he does well down south, fair play to him...but I doubt it. I genuinely believe we now have a better manager so, SG, thanks for 55 and for leaving before you f*cked up our chances of 56.
This is the crux of the matter. SG had reached his ceiling and squeezed the motivation out of the players until they struggled to respond. That's down to his lack of experience.

Had he stayed, we were only going in one direction, as was his managerial career.

The fact that he can now say he did his job and moved on isn't a bad ending for either party.

Back