Gerrard's interview with Carragher

It never felt like it at the time, however, he has done is a massive favour by f()cking off back down the road.

Early indications suggest Gio will take us to the next level. We have been watching turgid, insipid football since January under Gerrard.

Thanks for doing one.
Really?

That's how you'd define winning a Title, qualifying for the knock out stages of the Europa with a game to spare and being 4 points clear at the top of the League?

Some people on here have the memory capacity of goldfish.

Then maybe don’t watch it then? :D

Cheers for posting OP. Disappointed in Gerrard leaving but my feelings have eased over the past few weeks. Starting to think it was best for both parties that we went our separate ways… can’t deny he done a good job though, we’re light years ahead of where we were when he took over.

Gerrard will obviously always be the Manager that brought Number 55 and sent the yahoos in to a pit of despair by stopping their 9.75 in a row.
I was disappointed he left but find it impossible to just discard him from my mind.
Onwards and upwards now under Gio - good times ahead I'm sure.

Gerrard will obviously always be the Manager that brought Number 55 and sent the yahoos in to a pit of despair by stopping their 9.75 in a row.
I was disappointed he left but find it impossible to just discard him from my mind.

Exactly mate. I feel let down in the way it ended, but the bigger picture trumps all that.

Unfortunately in football it’s rarely the fairytale ending. The whole Gerrard tenure was built on emotion and affection for the guy, so people getting upset was always inevitable at him walking out mid season. Like any break up though, time is always a healer and we’ll look back with happy memories eventually!

As I’ve said, the early signs are promising with Gio. Gerrard’s team was stagnating so the timing in the change may actually been in our favour.

I really struggle with the extent of the negativity re Gerrard expressed by some folks. He did what he was brought to do. We were all euphoric with what he brought the Club just over 6 months ago.
He is hugely ambitious and, with the best will in the world, ambitious managers are not going to be able to reach the heights they aspire to in the SPL - even if it is managing us.
We are Rangers supporters with a life long love of our Club. Most managers - and SG falls into this - are professionals doing a job. That will only change if/when he goes to Liverpool.
The gulf between the SPL and the EPL is huge and going from a successful/league winning team in the SPL to a mid-table team in the EPL is a huge leap forward for a manager. (Not to mention the money which I honestly think didn't really come into it much.)
That is just a sad fact of life at the moment.
It was a good move for SG and I suspect, a good move for us.
Good luck to him in his future career, but I am really only bothered about what Gio can now bring to us to take us forward.

He can say all he wants. At the end of the day, he chose to turn his back on us and for an absolute joke of a club.

Does he look happy, does he look settled? Honestly. No!

I've said this before, but all his noise about being "grabbed by the club" , "cup situation needs to be fixed" , "wants to see Rangers do well in the champions League". Nothing more than sound bites for the fans.

The guy's nothing more than a politician, totally self serving.

And another thing Stevie, your remit wasn't to get f*cked out the league cup and Scottish cup by teams on a fraction of our budget.

He was briefly a god in Glasgow, now nothing more than a false prophet.

Last edited:
In

In Gerrards interview with his mate the (Gogger) Jamie Carragher he said,
It was selfish of him ...... He did it for himself and his family ....What loving father and husband wouldn't?...... Family first football second!

Bare in mind the team was becoming a bit stagnant, not a patch on last years heros So, he probably had that in mind?

If Gerrard did not win the league this year he would of remained in purgatory
In the Scottish premier for a long time to come with no offers coming from the English premiership.

Note: How many of these so called Rangers Supporters would be calling for his bollocks on the end of a stick at the end of a fruitless season?

Remained in purgatory!

Away to %^*& man!

He's doing better and we're doing better.
His departure has been a win-win so far (league cup aside).
I do think he has an emotional attachment to the club, but can't show it too much as he is now at Villa and wants to get their fans onside.
We will probably hear more about his feelings for Rangers a few years down the track.

At the end of the day he will never love the club as much as we do as supporters,he will go wherever he thinks can further his career.

He basically abandoned us mid season I realise that.

However he brought 55 titles and put a smile on each and everyone's face last season.

Some of you are acting like a bitter ex partner stop acting soo messy it's embarrassing.

I really struggle with the extent of the negativity re Gerrard expressed by some folks (Rangers fans). He did what he was brought to do (he didn't really TBH, he didn't even meet criteria's and goals he himself was starting to set and speak about). We were all euphoric with what he brought the Club just over 6 months ago.
He is hugely ambitious and, with the best will in the world, ambitious managers are not going to be able to reach the heights they aspire to in the SPL (which is something Rangers fans don't care about because they are Rangers fans) - even if it is managing us.
We are Rangers supporters with a life long love of our Club (not Gerrard). Most managers - and SG falls into this - are professionals doing a job (fans don't see supporting their club as a job). That will only change if/when he goes to Liverpool (f*ck Liverpool we are Rangers fans)
The gulf between the SPL and the EPL is huge and going from a successful/league winning team in the SPL to a mid-table team in the EPL is a huge leap forward for a manager. (Not to mention the money which I honestly think didn't really come into it much.) (winning the SPL means everything to Rangers fans who don't care about the EPL)
That is just a sad fact of life at the moment.
It was a good move for SG and I suspect, a good move for us (not something Gerrard considered when damaging the club and playing a part in costing us a Semi which p*ssed off Rangers fans)
Good luck to him in his future career, but I am really only bothered about what Gio can now bring to us to take us forward.

Most of what you struggle with is right there in your post TBH

Most people who post on here put Rangers before Gerrard, they don't need to judge what he did with much deep rooted feeling and understanding of the choice he made because their priority is Rangers and he made a decision that f*cked us a wee bit for his benefit to the detriment of the football club people who post on here support, seems pretty natural there isn't that much of a love in when his name gets mentioned.

I don't really care why or how he left. The form of the team was more concerning. 55 put us back where we belong and Gerrard delivered it. GVB inherits a team and squad that's superior to the scum. 56 and more are coming.

This...

I'm confident that Gerrard's moving was in everyone's best interest.

Best for us,
Best for SG,
Best for AV

and best for GVB.

55 was epic and crucial
Gerrard delivered and got us respected in Europe again.
You have to thank him for that.
Managers come and go, it's the nature of the beast.
Just enjoy GVB while he's here, because like Gerrard he won't be here for ever.
Onwards and upwards

No issue with him leaving for family reasons to be closer to them etc he sacrificed it all to come here. He came into the club inherited a mess and turned us into league winners as well as giving us some great times in Europe. Domestic Cup record was poor was done out of one in 2019 but the league was the one we all wanted and he done it.

The only thing I will be annoyed at him is his timelines of when first contact was made for him to go was never the Wednesday as he claimed. Its good for us that he's started well down there but he won't experience that feeling of winning trophies again down south. That's his choice we've moved on and so has he we've made a good start under Gio let's hope it continues.

I watched it and thought it was very honest interview.
Like someone else posted, I too think it was the right time for him to leave. Something was definitely not right in that dressing room, but the team now look more like themselves.
I thank him for his time here, and for what he delivered.
However, Gio is the man now.

Brains of a rocking horse?
Have the day off trigger, and pull some legs off flys?
Seems you only enjoy hurt? ..... Grow up if that's possible?

Brains of a rocking horse?

Haha, aye no bother pal. BTW, the plural of fly is flies, not flys.

Maybe if you are going to try and ridicule someone's supposed intelligence, it would be advisable to get the basics right.

No issue with him leaving for family reasons to be closer to them etc he sacrificed it all to come here. He came into the club inherited a mess and turned us into league winners as well as giving us some great times in Europe. Domestic Cup record was poor was done out of one in 2019 but the league was the one we all wanted and he done it.

The only thing I will be annoyed at him is his timelines of when first contact was made for him to go was never the Wednesday as he claimed. Its good for us that he's started well down there but he won't experience that feeling of winning trophies again down south. That's his choice we've moved on and so has he we've made a good start under Gio let's hope it continues.

Sorry but the sacrificed talk is one lot of shite, he was in Glasgow not the Antarctic, he seen his family all the time, he was getting paid a fortune to manage a football team, a dream job and something he loves. I'm not fussed now he's gone but the, he sacrificed so much talk is stomach turning.

I don’t understand why any Rangers fan hates SG for what he did. He gave us 55, stopped Terry Munro, broke records in Scotland and brought us respect in Europe and had us top of the league when he left. For me he’ll always be a hero and i wish him well. But things were going stale and our form was suffering so much it would only have been a matter of time before the bheasts caught us up so why is anyone angry that we now have a manager committed to us who has already helped us to throw off the lethargy in our play and fight for every ball.
Alfie is scoring goals again, Bassey and Borna are improving big time and the defence is starting to look solid again.

Whats not to like?
Add to that the improvements he insisted on behind the scenes. When Ross Wilson was showing GVB and Makaay etc around Auchenhowie & Ibrox you could see they were amazed at the facilities and what they will have at their disposal.

You just know everyone coming away with this jilted lover stuff would’ve turned on him faster than any of his biggest haters had we crashed out of the europa and slipped behind Celtic in the table.

His conduct after 55 was nothing short of embarrassing, two of the biggest seasons in our history and he decides it’s fine to never turn up for training and let his standards drop to the point where we are utterly chronic and players that idolised him were no longer interested

Nobody has to moke Gerrard, everyone is entitled to feel how they want.
But the Rat patter is an embarrassment.

You just know everyone coming away with this jilted lover stuff would’ve turned on him faster than any of his biggest haters had we crashed out of the europa and slipped behind Celtic in the table.

His conduct after 55 was nothing short of embarrassing, two of the biggest seasons in our history and he decides it’s fine to never turn up for training and let his standards drop to the point where we are utterly chronic and players that idolised him were no longer interested

Who told you this?

Just think back to the day we were 5 down at Ibrox against them with half and hour to go. I and I expect just about everyone of us thought we were going to get our 7-1 moment, if not worse. Think back to being knocked out of Europe by a team from Luxembourg. All this was total humiliation for The club and everyone who has any feelings for Rangers fc

Gerrard comes in, immediately sorts us out in europe, stops the thing they wanted more than anything, yes more than their wee run of trebles.

When did they last defeat us? Now you need to think about it, that's the difference he made. He's done a job and a half for this club and gave us back our pride, which was in the gutter. He's even got them blaming refs again. Short memories indeed.

He done what he was brought in to do and done it f**ken well.

Should just have came out and said "I'm whipped. The missus told me to get down the road and I obliged."

Working for a few large companies in my time, the majority of the managing directors had families who continued to live in London while they worked up here. Those guys only saw their family maybe once a week without issue, not sure why ex-footballers and football managers struggle with this?
I grew up with the opposite journey… we continued to live in Glasgow and my old man travelled down to London between Monday and Thursday/Friday.
Over time you can get used to it but whether you could do it beyond 3 years with young kids is another thing.

In that sense, I’ve got little problem with Gerrard moving - it is a lot to ask of someone with a young family and while we look at it as football fans and expect players, managers, coaches to put their life on hold and focus 100% on the club, there a “real life” element of it that we should have more empathy for.

i think almost everyone did and does know that he is highly skilled in that respect.

What many probably didn’t do is join the dots to the way he dealt with interactions with the fans. By intentions in interviews etc.

Even back to the ‘Lets go’ statement. Well rehearsed and got us up for it
We lapped it up though and it galvanized the support for the new manager. It was clearly thought up beforehand but it worked.

No problem with it for me… we’ve got folk trading in the Gerrard Express for the Gio Express now.
It’s just slogans and rhetoric - if it gets everyone heading in the same direction then it’s a good thing.

Who told you this?
It was openly discussed in the media and many, many people have passed on what they have heard, there’s no reason to doubt it at this point.

That’s before you get to the awful, turgid performances which were a complete reflection of his attitude at the time.

It was openly discussed in the media and many, many people have passed on what they have heard, there’s no reason to doubt it at this point.

That’s before you get to the awful, turgid performances which were a complete reflection of his attitude at the time.

Soap opera nonsense. You’ve no idea whether it’s true but are twitching your curtains regardless.

We lapped it up though and it galvanized the support for the new manager. It was clearly thought up beforehand but it worked.

No problem with it for me… we’ve got folk trading in the Gerrard Express for the Gio Express now.
It’s just slogans and rhetoric - if it gets everyone heading in the same direction then it’s a good thing.
absolutely. Thats the important thing - all heading in the same direction.

I think some took the rhetoric from Gerrard a little too close to their heart and had a fictional scenario in their mind that he would leave on when he has achieved what we wanted and expected him to, not when he did. And expected him to feel the same.

But....I've said before, from where we were this season, we have an upgrade, we have cash in the bank and we have new impetus throughout the club, team and fans. And thats no bad thing.

Soap opera nonsense. You’ve no idea whether it’s true but are twitching your curtains regardless.
That’s fine, I believe posters and what was coming out in the media at the time due to the consistency.

No interest in debating it, you’re kidding yourself on if you don’t think that the vast majority on here do the same on most threads.

absolutely. Thats the important thing - all heading in the same direction.

I think some took the rhetoric from Gerrard a little too close to their heart and had a fictional scenario in their mind that he would leave on when he has achieved what we wanted and expected him to, not when he did. And expected him to feel the same.

But....I've said before, from where we were this season, we have an upgrade, we have cash in the bank and we have new impetus throughout the club, team and fans. And thats no bad thing.
Yep - it had gone stale with Gerrard.. there will be many reasons for it, from many directions.
He was never ever leaving Ibrox to go straight to Anfield - there was always going to be another few hops on the road (if he makes it).
We were a stepping stone… I think he thoroughly enjoyed the vast majority of it but he was going to leave at some point.
We are all Rangers fans though and we don’t see that leaving for Villa makes sense. We’re emotionally bought into everything with Rangers though - we weren’t likely to think leaving for another club was a great idea!

For Rangers… we’ve got a bit of energy back into the team, which has been a shot in the arm for a title challenge that was looking a bit flakey a month ago.

Just an opinion here as I'm not in the know. Gerrard probably felt he overstayed his tenure. He was probably thinking inbetween chucking it last Summer and having a crack at the CL. In hindsight he stayed when he probably shouldn't have. Our games this season reflected that
The timing was bad when he left but it could have been a lot, lot worse had he stayed to, say January or later.
GVB has so far steadied the ship hopefully he has the ability to go on and win this title for us.

That’s fine, I believe posters and what was coming out in the media at the time due to the consistency.

No interest in debating it, you’re kidding yourself on if you don’t think that the vast majority on here do the same on most threads.

You are the first person I’ve seen saying, either on here or anywhere else, that he didn’t turn up for training.

Made up nonsense.

You are the first person I’ve seen saying, either on here or anywhere else, that he didn’t turn up for training.

Made up nonsense.
You obviously never read the main Gerrard thread at the time then but it's a completely pointless thing to pull up eitherway

99.9% of posters do the same with Goldson or Defoe this season without it being an in the know contest

Sorry but the sacrificed talk is one lot of shite, he was in Glasgow not the Antarctic, he seen his family all the time, he was getting paid a fortune to manage a football team, a dream job and something he loves. I'm not fussed now he's gone but the, he sacrificed so much talk is stomach turning.

Of course it is. He was paid handsomely for the privilege of being Rangers manager. He chose to sacrifice some family time by not having his family move to Glasgow.

Just an opinion here as I'm not in the know. Gerrard probably felt he overstayed his tenure. He was probably thinking inbetween chucking it last Summer and having a crack at the CL. In hindsight he stayed when he probably shouldn't have. Our games this season reflected that
The timing was bad when he left but it could have been a lot, lot worse had he stayed to, say January or later.
GVB has so far steadied the ship hopefully he has the ability to go on and win this title for us.
I can’t agree with this mate. Look at his interview with Sky Sports I think it was with Ally McCoist and a few others in the stands after the trophy was lifted after the Aberdeen game.

He was very clear and explicit about how he wanted more and that this was just the start of what he was trying to build at Rangers. He couldn’t have been more clear on that.

For me it’s clear that the Malmo debacle was the end and he started looking elsewhere after that because it meant that he had no money at all to invest in the squad. He was probably excited by grand plans in place with Ross Wilson for transfer targets that hinged on beating Malmo and then others that hinged on Champions League qualification. Who knows we may have had deals in principle for players that would have taken our squad to a whole new level and Malmo scuppered all of that.

But it’s totally revisionary to opine that Gerrard was ready to walk away after 55. He couldn’t have been more explicit in his ambition to take Rangers further and he failed in a catastrophic manner against Malmo at home where all we had to do was win a half of football against ten men.

Agree but think most will agree that there lack of professionalism when we won league.

Gerrard let the players booze until Tuesday when we had winnable Europa League tie on the Thursday.

At the time obviously most weren't concerned but with hindsight it was poor management.

I can’t agree with this mate. Look at his interview with Sky Sports I think it was with Ally McCoist and a few others in the stands after the trophy was lifted after the Aberdeen game.

He was very clear and explicit about how he wanted more and that this was just the start of what he was trying to build at Rangers. He couldn’t have been more clear on that.

For me it’s clear that the Malmo debacle was the end and he started looking elsewhere after that because it meant that he had no money at all to invest in the squad. He was probably excited by grand plans in place with Ross Wilson for transfer targets that hinged on beating Malmo and then others that hinged on Champions League qualification. Who knows we may have had deals in principle for players that would have taken our squad to a whole new level and Malmo scuppered all of that.

But it’s totally revisionary to opine that Gerrard was ready to walk away after 55. He couldn’t have been more explicit in his ambition to take Rangers further and he failed in a catastrophic manner against Malmo at home where all we had to do was win a half of football against ten men.

Our purse strings were tied because HE couldn't navigate Rangers past Malmo

55 was probably my favourite ever season watching Rangers. I had no great expectation that we would win the league and to finish it invincible was a fantastic achievement.

Gerrard delivered that. The way and timing of his departure wasn’t great but I wish him well and thank him for taking us back to where we belong.

Absolute nonsense and never heard this pish before. You can spout lots of stuff the media have made up over the years. It doesn’t make it true.

Back