Gerrard's Ridiculous Record in Europe

Also some of the matches that should should have been wins!

That’s an absolutely outstanding record by anyone’s standards. To think of the mess he took over last year and still managed to make the group stages of Europa is something that I don’t feel he’s had enough credit for. He’s destined to be a winner in management.

Croatia.
Russia.
Austria.
Denmark.
Poland.
Holland.
Portugal.

Countries all ranked higher than Scotland, and countries we have beaten their teams in Europe under Gerrard.

And you can throw in home and away draws against Spanish opposition, they are the number 1 ranked clubs in Europe.

This year alone he has beaten the recent past champions of Portugal ,Poland ,Holland and Denmark ,and shoild have beaten the champions of Switzerland.
Add Austria's biggest club and thats an impressive haul.

Outstanding in Europe to the point I actually don't get shit fraught with nerves (outwith final qualifier legs)

Style of okay well suited to it with teams that come out a bit against us

Phenomenal record IMO
Not forgetting some of the teams we’ve beaten in the process - rapid Vienna, Feyenoord and Porto to name a few.

Gerrard is building something really special here, we are incredibly lucky to have him as our manager.

Legia Warsaw are on a mad run after losing against us; lost their last game, but have went to the top of the table winning every game before then. They were a really decent team!

We could only have dreamt of these special European nights back in the deepest depths way back when we were fkd over and wondered when those special nights would return to Ibrox? Steven Gerrard is not only giving us superb football to watch but he has given us our pride back and put Rangers firmly back on the European stage as a proper team to be recognised and feared

The whole coaching staff don’t get enough credit for the vast improvements in all aspects of our play in the last 18 months.

I mentioned this after the away match against Porto that we are genuinely one of the most organised and well drilled Rangers teams I have watched, its especially noticeable in the European away ties.

I have a confidence in this side that I have rarely had bar a couple of notable seasons (92-93,07-08) in European competition.

Even when we considered ourselves a good team, especially during the second Walter dominance years, it used to frustrate me to no end that we treated European matches in the manner that we did. Sure, a lot of this was the Champion's League, but from a club perspective we appeared to be terrified of everyone because they had faster players, which trickled down to the fans too.

We used to look at all the other European teams with envy and wonder why we had to play the way we did. Why couldn't we just assemble a good team, go out on a level playing ground, and beat them fair and square the same way we did to Hearts, or to Killie or whoever.

Smaller continental teams - your Malmos and your Trabzonspors - would come to Ibrox and we'd all talk about how hard they pressed you, how they passed the ball nicely, but were also physical enough to cause difficulty there too. Meanwhile, there we were, every man behind the ball, like watching a souped up version of modern day Aberdeen. It was successful at its best, and demoralising at its worst. We also got eliminated from competitions by having less than five shots on target.

For the first time in decades, I genuinely feel proud of our boys on that pitch in Europe. They go out with no fucking fear, they play fast and aggressive and hard, and they make us look like a proper football team playing against other football teams who we used to be scared of. In the past, Porto's ability and pace would have made us too cautious to even play two fast wingers in our lineup. Now, the bastards fear our striker.

No Surrender Steven Gerrard.

Does the Gaffer get enough credit for what he's achieved on this front? I dont think so.

Granted, these figures are circumstantial, but to get through to the Europa stages and actually compete two years in a row is a bit mad.

Steven Gerrard will never get the full credit he deserves in Scotland because it is a cesspit of Rangers and anything British haters. It is not a bad thing though because this underestimating of everything about our club from our foes brings us that step closer to our rightful place at the top. I don't think he is too worried about amateur journalists anyway.

We as Rangers fans are very lucky to have Steven Gerrard at the helm and one of the shrewdest and best moves our club has made in it's history. In Gerrard we trust and let's face it when you think about it is it any wonder he has us flying?

He is after all The Prodigal Son of The Kings Of Europe.

Let's Go!

Even when we considered ourselves a good team, especially during the second Walter dominance years, it used to frustrate me to no end that we treated European matches in the manner that we did. Sure, a lot of this was the Champion's League, but from a club perspective we appeared to be terrified of everyone because they had faster players, which trickled down to the fans too.

We used to look at all the other European teams with envy and wonder why we had to play the way we did. Why couldn't we just assemble a good team, go out on a level playing ground, and beat them fair and square the same way we did to Hearts, or to Killie or whoever.

Smaller continental teams - your Malmos and your Trabzonspors - would come to Ibrox and we'd all talk about how hard they pressed you, how they passed the ball nicely, but were also physical enough to cause difficulty there too. Meanwhile, there we were, every man behind the ball, like watching a souped up version of modern day Aberdeen. It was successful at its best, and demoralising at its worst. We also got eliminated from competitions by having less than five shots on target.

For the first time in decades, I genuinely feel proud of our boys on that pitch in Europe. They go out with no fucking fear, they play fast and aggressive and hard, and they make us look like a proper football team playing against other football teams who we used to be scared of. In the past, Porto's ability and pace would have made us too cautious to even play two fast wingers in our lineup. Now, the bastards fear our striker.

No Surrender Steven Gerrard.

While all of that is true there is a huge difference between the champions League and the Europa.

The previous 25 games must be McCoist, Mcleish and Smith...Dinosaurs who couldn't outwit a European coach and his players if their lives depended on it.

While all of that is true there is a huge difference between the champions League and the Europa.
No I know, I know. But we were like this when we dropped into the Uefa too, against Sporting and getting beat from PSV, and Maribor under Ally...

The previous 25 games must be McCoist, Mcleish and Smith...Dinosaurs who couldn't outwit a European coach and his players if their lives depended on it.
That could have been levelled at Walter in his first spell for the most part but certainly not his second.

He also gave us 2 fantastic European season, 1 in each spell.

Reactions: TQ3
Sen-fuucking-sational.

Even for a man who lifted the european cup as captain and knows exactly what it takes to compete at the highest level, that record is incredible. So lucky to have him.

Pedro - 1/2
McCoist - 0/4
Smith - 1/19

Last edited:
I hope we are all genuinely taking a minute to enjoy it.
There is a lot of talk about 2 CL spots, unfortunately in a decade we will be practically stuck to the UEFA conference.

History will judge this period very, very favourably.

Its already been said but the Spartak and YB games could easily have been wins.

I genuinely cant remember the Vienna game as i was absolutely wrecked in the pub having been drinking all day. :oops:

I was so drunk that it wasn't until the Sunday I realised we got beat, thought we drew 0-0. Good laugh that trip.

That could have been levelled at Walter in his first spell for the most part but certainly not his second.

He also gave us 2 fantastic European season, 1 in each spell.

His second as well. Manchester season apart, there were some dreadful results. 1-4 at home to some Romanian shitkickers and Kaunas, ffs..

His second as well. Manchester season apart, there were some dreadful results. 1-4 at to some Romanian shitkickers and Kaunas, ffs..
Results like that can happen in European football but in the main his second spell was far more acceptable than his first.

Thinking back to our darkest hour ,we could only have dreamed of being where we are now, a huge and massive thanks to our board and stevie G and his back room staff
God bless the Glasgow rangers

That'll be the same Walter Smith that got us to a European final on a shoestring budget with a shite squad in 2008, and if Marseille weren't cheating bastards, may well have won us the Champions League in 1993?

Its already been said but the Spartak and YB games could easily have been wins.

I genuinely cant remember the Vienna game as i was absolutely wrecked in the pub having been drinking all day. :oops:

My recollection is we lost a goal in the last 15 when we were chasing the needed win ?

Outstanding in Europe to the point I actually don't get shit fraught with nerves (outwith final qualifier legs)

Style of okay well suited to it with teams that come out a bit against us

Precisely it.

Self aware
Self Confident
Drilled
Ready to act when presented the chance

Ally McCoist said ‘They dont deserve it’

Too used to playing with zero awareness, reckless abandon, no responsibility and getting picked off, usually from our own corners then claiming we were unlucky cos we had a go.

We are an absolute outfit now.

Porto did everything to stop what we were good at. They man marked Steven Davis, after about 30 minutes, Davo came over had a word with Gerrard then dragged his marker further to the side to let Connor and Filip take charge, tremendous. When Pepe went off Porto were exposed and we got more traction and waited our moment.

That'll be the same Walter Smith that got us to a European final on a shoestring budget with a shite squad in 2008, and if Marseille weren't cheating bastards, may well have won us the Champions League in 1993?

Mate, two runs out if how many? Open your eyes...The rest of the campaigns were littered with humiliating and ignominious defeats to mostly mediocre teams. Gothenburg, Athens, Sparta Prague, Strasbourg, ffs...

Back