Gerrard's Ridiculous Record in Europe

To answer the OPs question, NO. Gerrard does not get enough credit for what is a quite remarkable run of results for Rangers in Europe. He gets it. He loves it. And he demands success in it.

I love him. I really do. :))

Nope, it’s a ridiculous appointment.

Under 18 coach ect ect! (Scottish media)

Steven Gerrard has navigated twice through to the league stages, only four teams have done it in the history of the tournament.

Gerrard has done it twice, absolute legend!

Mate, two runs out if how many? Open your eyes...The rest of the campaigns were littered with humiliating and ignominious defeats to mostly mediocre teams. Gothenburg, Athens, Sparta Prague, Strasbourg, ffs...
You said he couldn't beat a European coach.
Clearly that is bullshit.

See all those teams you name, how many have been to more European finals than Walter?

That's kinda the point I was making. Why were we losing to shite like that...all the time..?
The point you made was that he 'couldn't beat a European coach if his life depended on it'

How the hell did we get to a European final without defeating European coaches?

And McLeish too? The guy who took us to the CL last 16.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit you've made an arse of it.

What I like most about our approach to Europe is that we attack. We play with a striker and two wingers, proper 4-3-3. Under Sir Walter it was always 4-5-1, with the aim of not conceding and then trying to nick a goal.

That no one has given us anything close to a hammering in Europe has been brilliant. For all our good seasons in the past, we always seemed to take a scudding at some point. The solidity of them team the last 17 months in Europe is something we haven’t consistently managed, and he and all his coaching staff deserve massive credit for that

Tactically, Gerrard is fantastic. Of course he still makes mistakes for example the Scum game. But going in to Europe you know we are set up not just to see the game out, but to give us a great chance of taking a win.

European group stage qualifying should be counted over winning a Scottish or League cup when it comes to looking at how well a manager has done.

What a really lovely person you sound like.

He's not wrong though is he? On a European level they were outdated, and tactically clueless. Walter had a great run in 08 obviously, but over the course of both tenures we were disappointing in Europe.

Now we go in to games in Europe confident and able. If we get out the group, I genuinely believe we could go deep in the tournament. Getting out a group of this calibre will be a massive achievement.

Our performances in Europe have been joy to watch and exposes our domestic opponents for what we all know they are. This is the arena where our manager should be judged, in my opinion. He's done a fantastic job two seasons running and continues to improve. Long may it continue.

He's not wrong though is he? On a European level they were outdated, and tactically clueless. Walter had a great run in 08 obviously, but over the course of both tenures we were disappointing in Europe.

Now we go in to games in Europe confident and able. If we get out the group, I genuinely believe we could go deep in the tournament. Getting out a group of this calibre will be a massive achievement.

Not only is he wrong, he comes across as a disrespectful bore you never, ever meet in real life at games, you only encounter them on here.

Not only is he wrong, he comes across as a disrespectful bore you never, ever meet in real life at games, you only encounter them on here.

Would you go and f#cking do one..? It's you that's the bore who refuses to see the truth no matter what. For the most part, in my lifetime, we've been mediocre at best but usually hopeless in Europe. Many managers and their signings promised a lot, but delivered little. It pains me horribly to say it, but it's the unpalatable truth, mate. At long last we're playing the Europeans at their own game, and we can thank Stevie Gerrard for that. Smith, Mcleish and Mccoist and, yes, Souness very rarely got the better of European coaches.

His second as well. Manchester season apart, there were some dreadful results. 1-4 at home to some Romanian shitkickers and Kaunas, ffs..

His second spell was better in that on top of 2007/08 we also had a decent showing in his final season up against Man U, Valencia and Besiktas, but you’re right, the two in between - beaten by a bunch of part timers from Lithuania and horsed 4-1 at Ibrox by a team called Urine that don’t even exist anymore - were probably worse than any of the horror shows in his first stint.

I don’t know why people find it so difficult to admit that, as if Walter is somehow sacrosanct and beyond criticism.

His second spell was better in that on top of 2007/08 we also had a decent showing in his final season up against Man U, Valencia and Besiktas, but you’re right, the two in between - beaten by a bunch of part timers from Lithuania and horsed 4-1 at Ibrox by a team called Urine that don’t even exist anymore - were probably worse than any of the horror shows in his first stint.

I don’t know why people find it so difficult to admit that, as if Walter is somehow sacrosanct and beyond criticism.

Probably because that particular poster goes way beyond criticism and only ever focuses on the negative.

Back