Gerrards tactics - Bringing on Ojo

Must win game. 10 minutes to go. Camera pans to the bench.

Defoe sitting there with his jacket on.

I love Gerrard but see if that was Lennon, you can guarantee that every attacking player on his bench would've been thrown on to win that game.

Don't want to say too much about Ojo and get a ban but I'd be happy to never see him in Rangers colours again tbh. If he starts on Sunday they'll be laughing away at us.

More baffling Gerrard decisions last night. Unsure if it’s naivety, inexperience or flinging something and hope it sticks

I actually thought throwing Katic on wasn't a bad move...until I realised he put him on at centre back.

Fair enough if you want to put him up beside Morelos for long balls but were we really trying to hold on for a point against that lot?

Yes

we blew a lead in Berne where Porto came back and won from

we blew a lead Feyenoord which was poor

we we blew a lead in Porto in which we should have won.

we blew it against the Tim’s at Ibrox

we blew against Hearts at tynecastle

we blew it at pitordrie

I am yet to see the hype around our manager

If I get a ban for this, I'll take it - but you sir, are a grade A nugget.

That's me toning it down tremendously.

So that's it then. Time for gerrard to go.
Certainly seems that would be the favoured option on here.
Never heard so much garbage in my life. Could someone name me a team in world football that win every game they play? No,because it doesn't happen.

not seen 1 post asking for Gerrard to go? behave yourself

Our manager has improved us MASSIVELY. The first 25 minutes last night were breathtaking.

We are merely discussing certain flaws in our opinion.

Ojo coming on, the defensive partnership and what they offer etc.

Gerrard has forgotten more about football than anyone on this forum knows about it.

He however cant turn certain players into what they are not. He has said as much post match conference.

I actually thought throwing Katic on wasn't a bad move...until I realised he put him on at centre back.

Fair enough if you want to put him up beside Morelos for long balls but were we really trying to hold on for a point against that lot?

katic coming on was a good move. he is the best we have for scoring corners, free kicks etc outside Morelos. Who was having a poor game.

Utterly bizarre.
Gerrard said Stewart was unlucky not to start against Hearts. He came on & scored twice & doesn't get a sniff last night? Plus he brings on Ojo who, other than scoring against Feyenoord, has done nothing of significance imo.
He's the same as Ejaria...talent is there, but not a lot of desire which is what Gerrard says he likes to see. Throws himself down too easy at times as well.

Purposely stayed off social media after last nights result and this thread is proof of why.

Mass hysteria by entitled, panty-wetters.

Shambles.

See you all on Saturday.

If SG has a blind spot it may be something along the lines of refusing to acknowledge that sadly some just don't have the fortitude on which their talent must be based.

So that's it then. Time for gerrard to go.
Certainly seems that would be the favoured option on here.
Never heard so much garbage in my life. Could someone name me a team in world football that win every game they play? No,because it doesn't happen.
Of course not but we continually keep seeing these tactical deficiencies from the managemt team

Stewarts stats show he either assists a goal or scores a goal every 74 minutes. To me that is a stat that warrants a place over Ojo who either assists or scores every 155 mins.

We have the best young manager in British football,we have had more experienced managers who have been a lot worse,this is his first big club,there have been mistakes nobodies denying that,I don’t complain when we are winning so I won’t complain after a draw with the sheep,we have had worst results with more experienced managers with less said.

If I get a ban for this, I'll take it - but you sir, are a grade A nugget.

That's me toning it down tremendously.

tend to agree on a grade A nugget. I will take the ban also. How can anyone seriously say "I am yet to see the hype around our manager "

Like anyone, he is not perfect but damn well close.

We have the best young manager in British football,we have had more experienced managers who have been a lot worse,this is his first big club,there have been mistakes nobodies denying that,I don’t complain when we are winning so I won’t complain after a draw with the sheep,we have had worst results with more experienced managers with less said.

Agree, No one who has more than 1 brain cell will question what SG has done for our club. We are only debating on flaws that everyone has. We don't even know if its a contractual thing regards ojo or if Stewart is carrying a slight knock. I would like to have heard a journo asking so we would know the facts.

Bringing on Katic was amateur stuff on 90+2. Things you see in local leagues - bring on the big f/ck off centre half to try and win a header at a corner in the last minute.

Stewart should have been on for Arfield after 50 minutes. At 60 mins it was clear we could have played all night and not scored with the way we were set up.

Yes

we blew it at pitordrie

We didn’t blow any lead in Porto

I think SG has a blind spot for pace up top. This results in the likes of Ojo and Barker getting more game time than they merit.

katic coming on was a good move. he is the best we have for scoring corners, free kicks etc outside Morelos. Who was having a poor game.

On paper I agree. If he was to stick Katic up front for the last 5 then fair enough...but we ended up playing with three centre backs in defence. Madness.

not seen 1 post asking for Gerrard to go? behave yourself

Our manager has improved us MASSIVELY. The first 25 minutes last night were breathtaking.

We are merely discussing certain flaws in our opinion.

Ojo coming on, the defensive partnership and what they offer etc.

Gerrard has forgotten more about football than anyone on this forum knows about it.

He however cant turn certain players into what they are not. He has said as much post match conference.
Just about every post is questioning his decision making. Has favourites,has no idea how to turn things round and no idea about making substitutions. If that's not having a go at his competence as a manager,I dont know what is.

That's the problem with football fans these days. No patience whatsoever and wanting instant success. It's going to be a hell of a job trying to win the title from them. They have a lot more money than us and I'm sure they'll spend in the next transfer market to strengthen their squad for the final push.

If that's the reaction to drawing at pittodrie,dont tell me that some of our fans won't turn on gerrard if we fall further behind which is a real possibility with the games that are coming up.

Just about every post is questioning his decision making. Has favourites,has no idea how to turn things round and no idea about making substitutions. If that's not having a go at his competence as a manager,I dont know what is.

That's the problem with football fans these days. No patience whatsoever and wanting instant success. It's going to be a hell of a job trying to win the title from them. They have a lot more money than us and I'm sure they'll spend in the next transfer market to strengthen their squad for the final push.

If that's the reaction to drawing at pittodrie,dont tell me that some of our fans won't turn on gerrard if we fall further behind which is a real possibility with the games that are coming up.

the 7 points dropped today has been our own fault. We have not been out played once. We shot ourselves in the foot.

To be playing the way we are is a massive feather in Gerrards cap. However we have lost points to our own stupidity. Sort that and we fear no one. Weakness in our team is exploited time after time. Its mentality thats lacking.

the 7 points dropped today has been our own fault. We have not been out played once. We shot ourselves in the foot.

To be playing the way we are is a massive feather in Gerrards cap. However we have lost points to our own stupidity. Sort that and we fear no one. Weakness in our team is exploited time after time. Its mentality thats lacking.
I agree with a lot you say,but how long will the patience last? Maybe not me and you,but going by other posts,can definitely see it turning and that would be a huge mistake in my eyes.

The strides the team has taken under gerrard has been superb. Respect back in Europe and remember we couldn't even finish 2nd in the league,now the Tim's are worried about us,when before we were cannon fodder for them.

I'm just hoping that the over reaction which has happened on here isn't going to spread to the rest of the support and start heaping pressure on gerrard.

id argue we are too patient a set of fans at times,

I think SG has a blind spot for pace up top. This results in the likes of Ojo and Barker getting more game time than they merit.

Ojo will play regardless of form plus the obvious agreement with Liverpool. Barker was a pet project signing by Mark Allen and I don't think he's rated by Gerrard anyway.

It's ridiculous for all the forward players available in our squad we have no real quality player who can slot into the right forward role.

Frustrating.

It was sort of laughed at previously when it was suggested that Ojo (and Worrall before him) had contracts which stipulated they play a certain number of games. But doesn’t this seem increasingly likely?

If it’s not the case then I’m worried because I reckon Gerrard must have been the only person out there last night who felt Ojo was the guy who could go and turn the game. Clear ability and can offer us something, but I have never in my life seen him look even remotely close to being the sort of player who comes in when the chips are down and takes a game by the scruff of the neck.

I would genuinely like to ask him that question.

Stewart would come on and get involved and offer a goal threat.

It’s not happening with Ojo and we aren’t in a position to let him play through it.
Far too loyal to Donkey Goldson in 1st place ,we wouldn't be in that position .1st he brought on Katic then ojo totally baffling. Why didn't he even bring on Kamara at HT for Aribo and keep ball for 15 mins .Basic management

Reactions: VMS
Yes

we blew it at pitordrie

we we blew a lead in Porto in which we should have won. we were 1-0 down not leading

Where do you even start with this pish.
Its not pish, i stand by the manager 100 per cent but the poster was correct in the case of throwing points away and a lot of it is down to in my opinion inept centre backs who the manager selects so blame can be be pointed at S. G for the team selection.

Feel at times for Ojo on here. He’s clearly struggling with the weight of expectation that comes with being a Ranger.

Tonight though, as he entered the park and adjusted his gloves, then blew out his cheeks, you could see a freezing Pittodrie wasn’t really the time or place to get the best out of him.

Stewart would have made more sense.

He's struggled at every club he's played first team football at, mainly due to him being a wonder kid in the past, and at 22, he isn't going to be anything but an erratic and frankly frustrating player. He has all of the tools, but doesn't want to do the graft to get good results

He's tends to take far too long to make changes in games like this. When he eventually got around to it he needed to make more subs. It's something we have to accept because, based on the play 18 months, his use of subs will remain poor. Thankfully he tends to get the starting eleven right most weeks.

Back