Gerrard's thoughts on Defoe's future

Bonnyloyal

Steven Gerrard has revealed that Jermain Defoe could be given a player/coach role at Rangers next term.

The on-loan Bournemouth striker wants a permanent deal.

Gerrard, who pulled on a Rangers jersey as he played for both sides in a legends game with Liverpool, is also keen on the 37-year-old staying in Glasgow.

He has praised Defoe’s influence on the Ibrox kids – and says a role in the academy could be worked into any deal.

When asked if the former England hitman could be offered a joint role, Gerrard said: “Possibly. We are certainly open to that side of Jermain.

“I can help centre-forwards, that’s why I’m in the game.

“But Jermain will know certain situations in the game, certain things to look out for in that specific position –better than any coach in the world.

“He has a catalogue of knowledge that he can pass on.

“Whether that ends up being on our staff or elsewhere, I’d love to see him give something back to the game. But he still has so much to offer as a player.”

And that’s why, first and foremost, Gerrard wants Defoe in his squad for next term.

He’s currently the Premiership’s top scorer on nine goals and, along with strike partner Alfredo Morelos, they’ve been on fire for Gerrard’s top-of-the-table side.

The Light Blues manager said: “If he stays in the form he’s in then, of course, I would want him around here for as long as possible.

“It’s definitely something that’s on all of our minds as a staff and as a club.

“Jermain’s in terrific form. I’m sure he’s frustrated with me in terms of his game time but I love that.

“He wants to play every minute. He’s just as hungry now as when I first bumped into him at 22 or 23.

“He’s first on the training pitch and the last off.

“That’s the reason why he can go on because he’s still got that drive to carry on.

“He’s a huge help. Having two forwards, with Jermain and Alfredo, in top form is fantastic for myself and Rangers.

giphy.gif

Makes perfect sense. He’s had a career as one of the EPL’s greatest strikers and has a wealth of experience to pass on to younger players. He’s a model professional, he’s a class act, his team mates love him, we love him, I think he loves being here.

It just makes sense.

Player/coach is a great idea. JD is a true professional who is looking after himself and the way he conducts himself both on and off the pitch is something a lot of younger players could learn from.

Keeping him at Ibrox on any status is a no brainer. He’s the ultimate pro and keeps himself as fit as a fiddle.

Could easily do another two seasons on the pitch and his value as a role model would be invaluable in a coaching role.

Sign here.............................. Jermaine.

Defoe's interview with boyd and commons on sky was insightful. He was talking about how when he first came the team didnt understand his movement and once he explained to them and they got used to it he started banging them in. If he passes that knowledge off as a coach he could vastly improve forwards, morelos in particular.

Makes perfect sense. He’s had a career as one of the EPL’s greatest strikers and has a wealth of experience to pass on to younger players. He’s a model professional, he’s a class act, his team mates love him, we love him, I think he loves being here.

It just makes sense.
No brainer for me and what a buzz it must be having two ultra professionals to learn from. I think he'd be brilliant on the coaching staff.

Back