Gerry Armstrong on the Scotland v NornIron friendly

Grew up thinking we always qualified for World Cup's! Michael's re building a young team and I definitely think we'll qualify within his tenure but it's going to take a few years yet as we have some superb young talent but they need time. Imo we are now were Scotland were before Steve Clarke took over and Scotland are now successful in qualifying for tournaments with a fairly young experienced team but it took time and now the Scots are reaping the rewards.

Grew up thinking we always qualified for World Cup's! Michael's re building a young team and I definitely think we'll qualify within his tenure but it's going to take a few years yet as we have some superb young talent but they need time. Imo we are now were Scotland were before Steve Clarke took over and Scotland are now successful in qualifying for tournaments with a fairly young experienced team but it took time and now the Scots are reaping the rewards.
Like Scotland we’re really lacking something up front. Could do with someone like Callum Marshall kicking on and coming through, as difficult to see where goals are coming from, and we don’t have the set piece threat we had in O’Neill’s first spell.

Grew up thinking we always qualified for World Cup's!
Me too. I’m 52 now and ‘82 was the first WC I really knew what was going on, and we qualified. The naivety of childhood means I didn’t get how big that really was. Then ‘86 and just assumed ‘that’s what we did’.

Us qualifying is nearly the equivalent of some ‘big gun’ winning it. That’s what I’ve learned over the years.

Was having a few pints one night in Holywood and I bumped into Billy Hamilton.

He said that Hampden v Scotland with 90,000 there was special.
He said when Souness was on the park you needed eyes I'm the back of your head

I watched the game in a bar in Ontario and I’d left work early to watch it live in a local bar.
. I remember it being a gorgeous afternoon . The bar was half empty with me and a couple of Scottish guys, some locals and a table full of Serbians in the corner who were waiting the result to see if Yugoslavia got through.

The tension was starting to ramp up when Armstrong hammered in that rebound.
I jumped up and let out a Yesss.

When I composed myself I heard one of the locals say to his mate” He must be Irish”.
I didn’t have the time. to inform him “I’m actually British”. :)

Back