Gerry Collins: Rangers are a burden to Alex McLeish

This generation of Scottish footballers development, a generation who might rightfully be considered the worst in history, coincides with the events that saw us demoted to division 3 and demonized.

All you have to do is look at the next generation of Scottish footballers (from the Under 21's to the Under 16's) to know that Rangers are the main driver behind nurturing youth talent in Scotland.

Everyone and their granny could have predicted that the national team would suffer with the decision made by the member clubs back in 2012.

This decision was obviously going to affect the number of players we produced at international level but it's somehow our fault.

Why have teams like Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen escaped criticism for not producing enough international quality players in our absence.

Last edited:
In 2012 clowns like Collins told us voting Rangers down the leagues would see Scottish football "booming" for years to come?

Since then we've seen Scotland lose it's 2nd CL place, fall further down the rankings, make reduced income from TV/sponsors and over several years also watched one of the most one sided top leagues in Europe maybe even the world take place

Now that all the "booming" guff has been shot to bits it's still Rangers fault?

McCrorie & Middleton in the Rangers first team squad and at least 5 Rangers players in last Scotland U19 squad. Cant be arsed checking the other Scotland youth squads but the young talent is at Ibrox. Maybe Gerry might want to get aff the bevvy for a while and stop whoring himself to whoever wants a Rangers hater on their show

Aberdeen, a team who were gifted their best chance of winning a league title when we were booted out of the league back in 2012, have had more than enough to nurture talent whilst we were away.

Their captain played for Scotland against Kazakhstan just under a week ago and was a fcking disgrace to the jersey.

How have Aberdeen escaped criticism ffs?

Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd - how’s their contribution to the National been since 2012?

Rangers have been booted from pillar to post, but we are just starting to recover.

Take a look at the kids coming through at Scotland, from U21’s to U16’s - a chunk of them are Rangers players

The future captain of Scotland was at Rangers before Chelsea came and took him away.

Rock Sport should be embarrassed.

McCrorie & Middleton in the Rangers first team squad and at least 5 Rangers players in last Scotland U19 squad. Cant be arsed checking the other Scotland youth squads but the young talent is at Ibrox. Maybe Gerry might want to get aff the bevvy for a while and stop whoring himself to whoever wants a Rangers hater on their show

Collins a twat. However listing Rangers players in the U19’s is fine but we are really bad at preparing these lads for first team football. Look at Ajax. 19 year olds play regularly in their team. We don’t. Why?

Basically anyone and their granny can run a negative story against us. I’m a broken record but our board inability to protect the brand means it’s open season. This stuff is depressingly predictable. Draw a line between a unionist position presented by pundits ( in the loosest terms ) on radio Scotland claiming the manager was a problem supporting better together. If your like me you feel thoroughly disenfranchised by our country right now.

Laughable. Embarrassing and pathetic.

The club shouldn’t respond to every last shitey story. But we should have ex players on the payroll who are given scripts to do interviews when this kind of shite comes out. Call out the pathetic stories for what they are, and control some of the narrative.

For example, Alex Rae on Snyde - all he has to say is “I laughed when I heard an ex thistle manager (with a 0% win record) give my mate big Eck managerial advice, and found it even funnier when he blamed everything on Rangers.....blah blah blah”

Easily done and makes a point. Use guys like Lovenkrands, K Thomson who are employees and other ex players to do media stories about the work at Auchenhowie etc and at other times when we get unfairly chinned for this kind of shit.

Laughable. Embarrassing and pathetic.

The club shouldn’t respond to every last shitey story. But we should have ex players on the payroll who are given scripts to do interviews when this kind of shite comes out. Call out the pathetic stories for what they are, and control some of the narrative.

For example, Alex Rae on Snyde - all he has to say is “I laughed when I heard an ex thistle manager (with a 0% win record) give my mate big Eck managerial advice, and found it even funnier when he blamed everything on Rangers.....blah blah blah”

Easily done and makes a point. Use guys like Lovenkrands, K Thomson who are employees and other ex players to do media stories about the work at Auchenhowie etc and at other times when we get unfairly chinned for this kind of shit.
Boxing clever it’s not that hard and should be a tactic used but all the media sources would do is stop using the ones who would do it.

Seriously one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Even if you take what he's saying as possibly true, from my limited knowledge it looks like three current Scotland players came through the ranks at Neverland.
There are two players who came through the ranks of a wounded and battered Rangers (Fleck and Bates). Neither currently play for Rangers but are Rangers "products". Fleck is bang on form yet doesn't play for Scotland.
Rangers currently supply zero players to the disgraced national squad but it's their fault?
Maybe, just maybe, it's the fault of tossers like Collins who happily play 6 foot plus guys that have a talent for either booting the ball the length of the field or crippling their opponents.

Collins a twat. However listing Rangers players in the U19’s is fine but we are really bad at preparing these lads for first team football. Look at Ajax. 19 year olds play regularly in their team. We don’t. Why?

Did you not see what happened to Serge Atakayi when he came on against Motherwell? That's why youngsters struggle to progress.

Last edited:
For the same reason Celtc have never been able to do it until they had no competition, the demands of instant success. Its the same at top clubs throughout leagues around europe. Teams dont bring through squads of their own youth players, they buy ready made 1st team players from other teams.

Ajax go through cycles where theyll sell a few players, be in the doldrums for a few years then have another crop of young players coming through, get 2 or 3 good ones, have a bit of success then sell them. Ajax dont always do it with their own youth players either, theres good youth developmemt throughout the Netherlands so you only have to get them from another club around the 1st team age.

Collins is a dinosaur, he has presided over hammer throwers and plodders all his coaching career.

Be interesting to see rock sport Bill tweet on this one

Try to put us out of business, then don’t bother their arse to select our players, then blame us for the National team being an embarrassment.

poets eh, if they had more more than a couple of brain cells they’d actually be quite dangerous.

Aye, they are that daft they are running this sh1t hole of a country they way they want it. And will still have a winning team for the foreseeable future. They may be garbage in the grand scheme of things, but they are a better standard of garbage than us, and that's what matters.

As for the issue on this thread. Alex McLeish, a nice guy, a gentleman absolutely.

But here's the deal, any person who has any links with Rangers, past or present who is happy to take the coin of anti Rangers vermin does not deserve any sympathy when nuggets like Collins are allowed to vent their denominational schooled spleen as a matter of rote.

What I would say to big Eck is 'hell mend you'.

Collins is a dinosaur, he has presided over hammer throwers and plodders all his coaching career.

Be interesting to see rock sport Bill tweet on this one
Its presumably Bill whos doing the show with him and immediately tells him hes talking shite.

Dick heads like GC are a far bigger burden to Alex McLeish than Rangers ever could be.

Latest posts

Back