Gers Chiefs plan offer to get Sheyi Ojo on a permanent deal

I think the winter break camp will see us get the best out of him from Feb. Then, if he blows us all away, as Kent did, he will be worth a deal.

If we are trying to buy him now, I'm guessing we want to do it before he blows everyone away and his price rockets.

Let's keep the powder dry.

One minute he looks a great player, the next he looks lazy and uninterested.
Let's make sure what we are paying for. I for one think he might convince us he would be worth a punt in the next few months.

Absolutely happened. A lot of people questioned his weight also and suggested he wasn't getting in shape.

Kent started off really slowly with us too and got a bit of heat. That's why I think we need to give Ojo more time. Kent never hit form until Christmas.
Difference being, lack of application was never an issue with they players.

Someone who lacks heart, desire & effort will never be accepted at Rangers. Rightly so.

I personally am going to be more patient with Ojo from now on. He's frustrated me with performances in a couple of games this season but we shouldn't feel the need to create 'whipping boys'.

I forget how young he is at times, he's also directly replacing Candeais who was known for his hard work but that doesn't mean we have to compare the two players.

On the whole Ojo has been a success so far and let's just get behind anyone in a blue jersey from now on. Give this team the belief they need to be successful.

I’ve heard him take a lot of stick but some of us only see brilliant or terrible, black or white. He has the raw potential. Surely that’s clear? He is very quick, can strike a ball sweetly and can beat a man. I’d most likely be looking to see him improve over the next few months before committing to buy though.

Can he?

Other than kicking the ball past someone and running I don't think I've seen him actually dribbling past a player.

Sheji Ojo, 1291 minutes. 5 goals, 4 assists (goal or assist every 142 mins)

Aribo, the world beater, FFs darling boy, 1193 mins, 4 goals, 2 assists (GoA/198min)

Jordan Jones, FFs amazing player because he's from NI, 471 mins, 2 assists, (GoA/235min)

Which one gets the stick out of the above? Ojo.

What a stupid comparison. Aribo is a centre midfielder so a winger should have more goals/assists. Jones has hardly played for us.

If Ojo was as good as he's being made out to be people wouldn't have to constantly post his stats. So he scored a couple against part timers in the Europa League qualifiers - big deal? On paper Windass would look like a superstar based on his stats but anyone with a working pair of eyes can clearly see that neither of them are doing enough in a Rangers jersey.

Re: Kent comparisons. At the early stages of last season you could see something in Kent. Comfortable with both feet, would run at players and commit defenders. Ojo's right foot is basically for standing on, he doesn't have the confidence to dribble past players and more often than not moves break down with him due to decision making.

Stats are hugley misleading and can obviously be used in many ways.

Ojo got half his assists in 1 game. Now his assists don't look very good do they?

The 6th goal against Hibs and a few goals against St Josephs and Proges. Teams who let's be honest, would get relegated down the 2nd/3rd division in this country, St Josephs anyway.

I'm not saying he's a bad player or we should definitely not sign him just saying that JUST looking at stats alone is pointless.

And how to you measure something, how to you quantify it?

Stats paint part of the picture but that's it.

If you only looked at stats without watching football then some world class players would look pretty average.

Guys like Busquets, Fernandinho etc would never be appreciated.

Here's a question - who do you believe is the better player between Ozil and Iniesta?

Let's look at their stats...

eFF5cmZ.jpg

Misleading?

All our wide players last season, including Kent, struggled when teams defended deep against us with no space in behind, where the wingers could use their pace.

Jones has also struggled with that this season.

They are all more effective when teams come on to us more and we can counter quickly.

When teams defend deep, in numbers, the craft and guile of players like Arfield and Stewart is way more effective, as we've seen recently against Aberdeen and Hamilton.

No denying the game is harder for any winger with a team sitting deep. The difference between Kent and Ojo in these types of games is that Kent has a bag of tricks. Even if he doesnt beat his man on the wing he cuts inside and drags players with him etc. There is far more to Kents wingplay than there is Ojo.

Imo i think Ojo is more suited to playing Left Forward as opposed to being a Left Winger.

Again though i am definetley not saying he is a bad player. If compared over last few years he is an improvement and he is dangerous for any opposition. But as of now i dont really think he would be worth splashing money on. But still plenty time to change that.

No denying the game is harder for any winger with a team sitting deep. The difference between Kent and Ojo in these types of games is that Kent has a bag of tricks. Even if he doesnt beat his man on the wing he cuts inside and drags players with him etc. There is far more to Kents wingplay than there is Ojo.

Imo i think Ojo is more suited to playing Left Forward as opposed to being a Left Winger.

Again though i am definetley not saying he is a bad player. If compared over last few years he is an improvement and he is dangerous for any opposition. But as of now i dont really think he would be worth splashing money on. But still plenty time to change that.

Agree with all of that mate.

I'm sure the jury is still out regarding Ojo with our coaching staff, as far as a permanent deal is concerned.

According to transfer market his deal runs out in May 2020, can't see any confirmation he actually signed the new five year contract that Liverpool offered him in June.

Agree with all of that mate.

I'm sure the jury is still out regarding Ojo with our coaching staff, as far as a permanent deal is concerned.

Nothing can happen for the best part of 3 months anyway. All we can do is tentatively enquire if Liverpool would consider selling him and , if so, what bracket the fee might be in. We then spend the next 3 months, at least, assessing how Ojo has performed. Forward planning is no bad thing.

In truth, its a story about next to nothing.

According to transfer market his deal runs out in May 2020, can't see any confirmation he actually signed the new five year contract that Liverpool offered him in June.

He signed the new contract in 2018 before his loan move to France.

I've said this before but "Kent didn't start playing well til Christmas/New Year" is one of those things that's been repeated so often that it's become a fact even though it's nonsense.

Kent had already put in a number of outstanding performances by this point last season, especially against Rapid.

Stats paint part of the picture but that's it.

If you only looked at stats without watching football then some world class players would look pretty average.

Guys like Busquets, Fernandinho etc would never be appreciated.

Here's a question - who do you believe is the better player between Ozil and Iniesta?

Let's look at their stats...

eFF5cmZ.jpg

Misleading?

Can't see it as imgur/other image sites are blocked at work.

Yes, stats do form part of the story. You're absolutely right and they're not what defines a player. If you follow my posts back, a poster called them 'completely irrelevant', hence me asking the question.

Ozil and Iniesta are different players though. (And yes, I know in my other post I posted stats from Ojo and Aribo who are also different types of players)

Either way, Ojo is statistically our best winger and I feel he will only get better.

It’s the tabloids picking up a non-story from a website that deals with rumours without foundation most of the time.

This thread has potential to be bumped in a years time.

Not many predicted what happens with Kent last year while on loan then permanent.
Keep on seeing stuff like this but don't understand it one bit. I remember Kent being injured out injured for a while before Christmas last year and we were all gutted. It was hardly because we thought he had been poor. Whereas on the other hand if Ojo was to be out for a period soon with all others fit no one ome here would be the least bit concerned.

I'm pals with someone who's a diehard Liverpool fan and he said when we signed him that they're probably hoping he has the same impact as Kent and improve his transfer valuation and wouldnt get anywhere near their first team. He also said he's like a right sided Kent and was built like a machine and should do well with us but like a few have said on here he's only shown it in flashes. Would be good to see how him and Kent play together in the team

If stats mean nothing to you how do you personally judge a player then?

Simply by the evidence of my own eyes.

I've seen people on here saying Windass had better stats than Kent. Well maybe he did but you could see after about two games that Kent was a vastly superior player and worked for the team as a unit.

I've said this before but "Kent didn't start playing well til Christmas/New Year" is one of those things that's been repeated so often that it's become a fact even though it's nonsense.

Kent had already put in a number of outstanding performances by this point last season, especially against Rapid.
Kent was outstanding in all of our EL games imo

Back