Gers Chiefs plan offer to get Sheyi Ojo on a permanent deal

He's already 22...it's not as if he's a teenager.

Genuinely wouldn't pay more than £1m for him.

Why do some people only look at stats?

Stat wise Iniesta would look like a bang average central midfielder.
Not every player develops between the age of 15 and 21. Development isn’t linear.

And statistics has Iniesta down as an incredible player.

Full trust in the gaffer, make a sensible offer for him now before he has a great season and then Liverpool jack up his value

I'm sure he signed a 5 year deal with Liverpool immediately prior to coming to us. They must rate him, so we won't be getting him on the cheap.

He has a lot to do before i would consider shelling out even a couple of million for him, and i doubt Liverpool would sell for that even if he had a pretty poor season.

Not that I wouldn't take him, but we really don't need to buy every good loanee we get.

Money is needed in other areas, especially now.
We get a player who’s already settled for a season. If we move early when we see potential and his goals and assists already we might get a better deal.

Give him a chance but for now he’s the next Windass in my eyes. Will produce moments of magic occasionally, usually shit the job when it comes to finishing, score a couple of cracking goals here and there so there is an argument for threads like this. Early days but he doesn’t look like he has the heart, commitment or decision making to do a job for us.

Hopefully this story is bollocks

Let your eyes decide if someone is a player or not - with Ojo, it seems that he's not (IMO). Scoring the odd goal here or there won't change that. Him putting in a performance for 90 minutes and not the odd flash of magic once every three games might.
No. No they would not

Ojo is another one who splits opinion and I’ll be honest whilst I think he’s a good player he does need to work on certain aspects of his game, particularly his off the ball play.

There’s absolutely no denying that going forward he’s a real threat and asset to the team and he can only get better at that IMO.

Would definitely sign him if price was right.

Let your eyes decide if someone is a player or not - with Ojo, it seems that he's not (IMO). Scoring the odd goal here or there won't change that. Him putting in a performance for 90 minutes and not the odd flash of magic once every three games might.

I can’t understand how some fans can honestly believe that anyone our manager decides to play, week in week out, and who contributes to goals and assists, isn’t a player.

The boy has some flaws to his game but what wingers/wide players don’t?

We're only in October. I wouldn't be offering a deal just now but I've seen enough to think that we've not seen the best of Ojo yet.

He has got a lot to learn but showing lots of promise. I don't see us getting him but the potential is there.

Just think he is all pace and nothing else at times, doesnt really have anything more than a stepover to beat his man and if teams sit deep it leaves him unable to run in behind.

I will say he is a far better shooter than Kent but that is his only better Attritube.

None of my judgements is based on the colour/religion of any player, that is just ridiculous lol.

Depends on the price. The talent is there but he has a lot of maturing to do. £3-4M might be good business for the future, however I wouldn't pay a fee like we did for Kent based on what he's shown thus far

He's got enormous potential......but I heard him described as a bit of a Josh Windass which I can see.

I'm glad I'm not getting paid to make the decision
He has a lot more fight than Windass, its his decision making/finishing that needs work

Just think he is all pace and nothing else at times, doesnt really have anything more than a stepover to beat his man and if teams sit deep it leaves him unable to run in behind.

I will say he is a far better shooter than Kent but that is his only better Attritube.

None of my judgements is based on the colour/religion of any player, that is just ridiculous lol.

He's certainly got more than pace, or he wouldn't have racked up so many goals and assists by mid October.

His stunning winner against Feyenoord had %^*& all to do with pace mate.

He’s definitely got something, it’s when he’s not doing that something it’s a problem, he’ll be a decent player and we’d make profit on him regardless unless he falls completely off the cliff

He’s done well since he came, been forced to play way more games from the start due to injury.

His decision making is still a work in progress cause if it wasn’t he would be playing for liverpool. But folk on here just want to moan and moan and moan about anything

He is one of the most talented players in the squad, no question.

His body language points to a lazy languid style which isn't pleasant on the eye.

Do I want him? Yes

As much as I did Ryan Kent? No

Could he be as good or better than Ryan Kent? Yes

How much would I spend on him at the moment? £3.5m tops.

He got off to a great start, scoring 4 goals ( couple assists) in his 1st 6 starts but since then in his last 9 starts
has scored only once (couple of assists) and for the most part been
‘ hiding in plain sight’.

I can’t understand how some fans can honestly believe that anyone our manager decides to play, week in week out, and who contributes to goals and assists, isn’t a player.

The boy has some flaws to his game but what wingers/wide players don’t?

Do you watch us every week? I'm assuming you do.

If so, do you believe Ojo is doing anywhere near enough to start every week?

One goal against Feyenoord doesn't make him a player. He's been living off of that for weeks now.

He's certainly got more than pace, or he wouldn't have racked up so many goals and assists by mid October.

His stunning winner against Feyenoord had %^*& all to do with pace mate.

Not saying the lad is a shit player. But the only games he plays well is games that teams leave space at the back for him to run into. The moaning about him not doing much is the games he doesnt have that.

His stunning winner against Feyenoord would back up what i said about his shooting. He has a good shot on him, never questioned that at all.

Just think for a winger he struggles with the tools to have an impact on opposition who are very defensive at times.

Hes a young player just settling into the team,,hes got bags of potential,,its whither he can show it ,is the question
sometimes and more than not now he seems he can't be bothered putting in a shift,I'd leave this one well alone. another Ejaria

I’ve heard him take a lot of stick but some of us only see brilliant or terrible, black or white. He has the raw potential. Surely that’s clear? He is very quick, can strike a ball sweetly and can beat a man. I’d most likely be looking to see him improve over the next few months before committing to buy though.

Man U fans used to boo Ronaldo when he first broke into the team and was hitting shots 30 yards over the bar. Ojo is young and learning. SG is working with Ojo every day and will be able to assess his potential.

Looks on par to hit 10-15 goals and also similar assists this season, that's the type of numbers you need your wingers to hit ideally to challenge for titles

Depends on what sort of fee we are talking here.

I know he has his doubters but his stats in the final 3rd speak for them-selves and he is only going to get better the more he gets used to our club, Scottish football and working under SG.

I still maintain he will blow Kent's goals and assists stats from his first season out the water.

Ojo is talented, no doubt about it. If the gaffer sees potential in him, I'm all for it.

Needs more confidence to take shots around the box, as when he does he's a really good finisher.

Think he could be a top player IF his confidence grows and he believes in himself 100%.

His stats are great but we know that stats don't show us the full picture.

He’s got the talent to succeed but definitely needs more commitment and the mindset to work hard throughout a match - he’s big enough and strong enough for it. He’s young and can be properly developed over the next couple of years into an influential member of our squad.

He is one of the most talented players in the squad, no question.

His body language points to a lazy languid style which isn't pleasant on the eye.

Do I want him? Yes

As much as I did Ryan Kent? No

Could he be as good or better than Ryan Kent? Yes

How much would I spend on him at the moment? £3.5m tops.
That seems a reasonable price but unfortunately the market down there will bring his price closer to the £7m mark.

Not saying the lad is a shit player. But the only games he plays well is games that teams leave space at the back for him to run into. The moaning about him not doing much is the games he doesnt have that.

His stunning winner against Feyenoord would back up what i said about his shooting. He has a good shot on him, never questioned that at all.

Just think for a winger he struggles with the tools to have an impact on opposition who are very defensive at times.

All our wide players last season, including Kent, struggled when teams defended deep against us with no space in behind, where the wingers could use their pace.

Jones has also struggled with that this season.

They are all more effective when teams come on to us more and we can counter quickly.

When teams defend deep, in numbers, the craft and guile of players like Arfield and Stewart is way more effective, as we've seen recently against Aberdeen and Hamilton.

I think the winter break camp will see us get the best out of him from Feb. Then, if he blows us all away, as Kent did, he will be worth a deal.

If they see the same level of promise they did in Kent then I think this is a no brainer. We probably wish we got in earlier for Kent as well, before he started performing as he did towards the end of the season. He's a talented boy still learning, if we can get him for a reasonable fee, we'll be doing well.

No need to commit ourselves one way or the other.
But it can't do the player any harm to think we rate him that highly, his confidence could be low after a couple of poor performances lately.
Yup, but what if Gerrard see's something some of us don't, just like early season Kent of last year? How many of us wish we'd have agreed a fee early for Kent, instead of nearly being priced out of a move and having to spend a lot more than we would have initially?

giphy.gif

I’d absolutely sign him if the money was right.

But I suspect Liverpool would want Kent-type money, and I’m not sure he’s worth that yet.

The boy's not at the level of Ryan Kent yet, so you wouldn't be talking about the same money to buy him.In saying that, i think S.G.has got belief in this lad, and could turn him into a good productive footballer, if given time.

Sheji Ojo, 1291 minutes. 5 goals, 4 assists (goal or assist every 142 mins)

Aribo, the world beater, FFs darling boy, 1193 mins, 4 goals, 2 assists (GoA/198min)

Jordan Jones, FFs amazing player because he's from NI, 471 mins, 2 assists, (GoA/235min)

Which one gets the stick out of the above? Ojo.

I love the 'he's not at the same level as Kent' comments. Tell me this, how many on here at this time last season would have wanted us to go for a permanent deal for Kent at £7m? I'd bet you could count them on one hand.:)

Let's see where we stand towards the end of the January window.

I don’t think he'll be starting many games when Kent’s back fit.

I think he'll be under contract to start in so many games during the season, or we'll probably have to cough up some sort of compensation to his parent club.As happened when Harry Wilson was out on loan with an English club.Huddersfield i think it was.

Sheji Ojo, 1291 minutes. 5 goals, 4 assists (goal or assist every 142 mins)

Aribo, the world beater, FFs darling boy, 1193 mins, 4 goals, 2 assists (GoA/198min)

Jordan Jones, FFs amazing player because he's from NI, 471 mins, 2 assists, (GoA/235min)

Which one gets the stick out of the above? Ojo.

Stats are a total waste of time when judging a player's ability in my eyes, however considering Aribo is a midfielder, I would be more impressed with his numbers there.

No doubt he has potential,but that's all it is and for the minute he blows hot and cold for me. I think we should see how his loan pans out. Don't get me wrong if the gaffer thinks he's good enough then that'll do for me,maybe putting him in the Ove Ejaria bracket unfairly.

The boy's got the talent to be a far better player than Ejaria, all he needs is time to adjust to the hustle bussel of the Scottish game.I think the kid will come good, under our coaching staff.

Like Borna, I think Sheyi will take a wee bit of time to adjust to our expectations. Unlike Borna, he's delivering goals and assists in what are relatively poor performances so early on. Ojo is absolutely the type of player we should try and take on to develop for a few years as the finished article is not coming to play in Scotland for the money we can afford.

I’d take a view nearer the end of the season. Right now I wouldn’t buy him. He has some pace and has a few goals and a few assists but his stamina is shocking, his workrate variable and his decision making often bereft of a footballing brain. Scope for development for sure but right now I’d not want us to be committing to any big fee.

Stats are a total waste of time when judging a player's ability in my eyes, however considering Aribo is a midfielder, I would be more impressed with his numbers there.

If stats mean nothing to you how do you personally judge a player then?

Back