Gers v Benfica Hamilton, Ontario Oct 6th

Bonnyloyal

RANGERS are in talks over a proposed glamour friendly in CANADA next month.

Sunsport Online understands the Ibrox club could face Benfica in the 24,000 seater Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario on October 6.

Both clubs are looking to utilise the next international break with the Portuguese side also involved in the Champions League.

The clash would see the pair battle it out for the Eusebio Cup – a trophy introduced in memory of the legendary striker who scored 317 goals in 301 games.

Since 2008 the match has been held during pre-season but last term the game was staged at a later date in July.

And this year’s encounter has been scheduled to take place on Friday October 6 after a meeting with Brazilian side Chapecoense fell through earlier this summer.

It would mark the first season that the match was held outside Benfica’s Estadio da Luz Stadium.

The Light Blues would join a list of European giants such as Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Arsenal who have previously taken part.

It's an expensive away trip but if someone could get me a Leaf ticket for the game against the Rangers on October 7th at the ACC,it would be a nice birthday week :)

RANGERS are in talks over a proposed glamour friendly in CANADA next month.

Sunsport Online understands the Ibrox club could face Benfica in the 24,000 seater Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Ontario on October 6.

Both clubs are looking to utilise the next international break with the Portuguese side also involved in the Champions League.

The clash would see the pair battle it out for the Eusebio Cup – a trophy introduced in memory of the legendary striker who scored 317 goals in 301 games.

Since 2008 the match has been held during pre-season but last term the game was staged at a later date in July.

And this year’s encounter has been scheduled to take place on Friday October 6 after a meeting with Brazilian side Chapecoense fell through earlier this summer.

It would mark the first season that the match was held outside Benfica’s Estadio da Luz Stadium.

The Light Blues would join a list of European giants such as Real Madrid, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Arsenal who have previously taken part.

wish i could go to that, but no chance

Long way for a friendly but will be a good experience for those attending, I'm sure

If that had been the end of October I'd have went over to that for sure. Always fancied a visit to Canada.

Great opportunity for NARSA bears to see the team. A good PR exercise from the club,in that point of view.

Eusebio was some player.....317 goals in 301 games

How much would he be worth today?

What time would this likely be at? We have The Founders Trail Roadshow booked for that date, I picked it because it was an international weekend. The best laid plans eh? :D

I will need to see my source at Ibrox tomorrow, no doubt he will be attending, used ticket stub for my collection required.

Her indoors thought it was Xmas when I told her I had booked flights for that weekend so she can visit her sister. All I need now is for the game to be on and I can say what a coincidence.

What time would this likely be at? We have The Founders Trail Roadshow booked for that date, I picked it because it was an international weekend. The best laid plans eh? :D
It's a Friday mate,so most likely 7.30/8.00pm Canadian time, or 12.30/1am our time.

Last edited:
More like 12.30am/1am UK time...conveniently i arrive in Toronto on 5 October and have 'permission' to go to Hamilton if this is confirmed :p
FFS I screwed that up good and proper, you'd think I never spent 20 years of my life there and all my family still live there:oops:

Be good for the players as I feel the 1st international break has come quick into the season

I'd like to think with there'll be enough expat Bears and Benfica fans over there to fill a 24,000 seater stadium.

This picture is doing the rounds.

WLVBiZx.jpg

Will be cracking for all our fellow bears over there, I'm all for the club doing things like this.

All Access Login

eusebio-cup-1200x630.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

S.L. BENFICA & RANGERS F.C. TO PLAY 2017 EUSEBIO CUP AT TIM HORTONS FIELD IN HAMILTON ON OCTOBER 6
logo-05-alternative3-150x150.gif

by
TICATS STAFF
|

SEPTEMBER 8, 2017
social_icon.png

S.L. BENFICA & RANGERS F.C. TO PLAY 2017 EUSEBIO CUP AT TIM HORTONS FIELD IN HAMILTON ON OCTOBER 6
Eusebio Cup comes to Canadian soil for the first time in history, with two of Europe’s most decorated clubs battling for bragging rights in front of Hamilton and Southern Ontario soccer fans
S.L. Benfica of the Primeira Liga and Rangers F.C. of the Scottish Premiership will battle it out on the pitch for bragging rights at one of North America’s newest, state-of-the art outdoor sports and entertainment venues.

For the first time ever, the historic Eusebio Cup will be played on Canadian soil in front of Hamilton soccer fans this October. Eusebio Cup promoters Elite Soccer Entertainment announced this morning that Tim Hortons Field will host the 2017 edition of the Cup, featuring two of Europe’s most storied soccer clubs, on Friday, October 6 at 7 p.m.

Eusebio Cup tickets go on sale to the general public via Ticketmaster on Wednesday, September 13. Hamilton Tiger-Cats season seat holders and Hamilton Canadian Premier League Insiders receive presale access to tickets beginning Tuesday, September 12. During the 24 hour presale window, Ticats season seat holders and Hamilton CPL Insiders can take advantage of up to 20% savings on select price levels, only during the presale period. Soccer fans can sign up to be a Hamilton CPL insider and receive presale access by clicking here.

S.L. Benfica is coming off of a historic season, winning a fourth-straight championship in 2016-17, the first time a Primeira Liga club team has won four titles in a row. Managed by Rui Vitoria, Benfica currently sits third in the Primeira Liga standings with a 3-1-0 record, thanks to five goals in four appearances by star midfielder Jonas Goncalves Oliveira.

Challenging S.L. Benfica is Scotland’s most decorated club, Rangers F.C. The Rangers have won more league titles and trebles than any other soccer club in the world, winning the league title 54 times, the Scottish Cup 33 times and the Scottish League Cup 27 times. Managed by Pedro Caixinha, the Rangers sit third in the Scottish Premiership standings, with a 2-1-1 record.

The Eusebio Cup is named after legendary Portuguese striker, Eusebio da Silva Ferreira. Eusebio enjoyed a 22-year career, scoring 423 goals in 431 appearances with nine clubs, including Benfica (1960-1975). Eusebio also appeared in 64 matches with Portugal’s national team, finding the net 41 times from 1961-1973. Considered one of the greatest footballers of all time, S.L. Benfica founded the Cup in 2008 in Eusebio’s honour. Benfica has a 2-2-4 record in Cup matches.

Tim Hortons Field is a multi-purpose sports and entertainment venue located in Hamilton, Ontario. Built in 2014, the stadium is the home of the Canadian Football League’s Hamilton Tiger-Cats, served as the host venue for soccer for the 2015 Pan American Games and has hosted multiple World Cup qualifying events, including women’s soccer and men’s rugby, as well as major concerts, festivals and other community events.

eusebio-cup.jpg

Related Posts

PRESS RELEASE
TIGER-CATS SIGN SIX PLAYERS

SEPTEMBER 06

Great trip in place of Euro away games for U.K. based fans. Hope the North American bears do us proud as per usual.

Back