Get Michael O'Neill in as Manager before Scotland does

As the title says. Once the play offs are over. We all know what he is capable of with mainly lower division players and he must have what it takes if Scotland are sniffing around him. Failing that we need a manager with EPL experience to match Rodgers. Benitez if he would come would be my choice. And we will have to get money from somewhere. We got got it for the Mexicans a real waste of several million pounds.
We have no chance of Benitez, but your realism to change and optimism are to be applauded.

Maybe we can just get a fat Spanish waiter instead?

Yes, hands up it, I will admit Benitez was an unrealistic suggestion. I am letting my heart rule my head and perhaps living in the past when we could attract almost any manager or player. Just want the best for Rangers. Extremely depressive times now and I have lived through the Celtic domination from mid 60's to mid 70's and the grim 79 to 86 period. However, this somehow seems worse than those two spells with no end in sight and it makes for despondency.

I wouldn't want him at Rangers but why would he leave Northern Ireland to go to manage Scotland?

I think McLeish will get the job.hes available. he won't be hard to deal with and he's got the experience of being a successful rangers manager

McLeish should have had the job after Warburton left. He knows the club, knows us, knows Scottish football, won a load of trophies in a team that was being downsized by its chairman, won the English League Cup with Birmingham. It was an absolute no brainer imo.

What is the obsession with Ex managers and players?

McLeish managing and Kyle Lafferty and Naismith in the squad is a wet dream for some on here.

I'm surprised we aren't singing for Barry Ferguson.

"Steady the ship" and "Do a job" are cliches on here as well.

Let us hope the board have more imagination and ambition.

Im in the big sam camp because he would not let teams do this to us, we would be doing it to them, just to get us stable for a couple of years, it wont be pretty but it will be effective.

And before anyone says he hasnt won anything, he has never had a team that could win anything.
£40,000 per week.

As a minimum.

Just on big Sam, that several keep mention as a possible.

If he takes a job within 2 years of leaving Palace he has to pay 'substantial' compensation to them.

Clearly he would want the club to pay that. On top of a very hefty salary.

It really doesn't look very likely, does it?

McLeish managing and Kyle Lafferty and Naismith in the squad is a wet dream for some on here.

I'm surprised we aren't singing for Barry Ferguson.

Let us hope the board have more imagination and ambition.
But, but, but Barry’s a pyoor winner, knows Scottish fitba’ and would let them all know what it means to be a Ranger.......

As the title says. Once the play offs are over. We all know what he is capable of with mainly lower division players and he must have what it takes if Scotland are sniffing around him. Failing that we need a manager with EPL experience to match Rodgers. Benitez if he would come would be my choice. And we will have to get money from somewhere. We got got it for the Mexicans a real waste of several million pounds.
Looks as though Cardoso was not the only one to get a blow on the head yesterday.

McLeish should have had the job after Warburton left. He knows the club, knows us, knows Scottish football, won a load of trophies in a team that was being downsized by its chairman, won the English League Cup with Birmingham. It was an absolute no brainer imo.
The thought of McLeish sends shivers down my spine.

Not convinced O'Neill could replicate his success with NI at club level with us. Would represent another big gamble and our next appointment cant afford to be a big gamble.

I don't think O'Neil is the answer.
Like posted earlier on this thread, Alex McLeish could well be asked especially if liked by Dave King.

Maybe Rodgers can manage us and the tims at the same time, he is so good ?

After all, his biggest influence is himself....thats a powerful accolade !

How long did they sniff around strapon and the speccy bassa levien??????????????

Aye, that's a good measure of a manager.

Why would O'Neill want to manage Scotland?

Thats actually a good shout regarding O'Neill. Whats his track record before N.I though?

Managed Brechin City, then Shamrock Rovers where he was very successful - but neither club is comparable to Rangers. Neither is club management comparable to international management - Lawrie Sanchez got some great results and performances with NI, then flopped when he went to Fulham. Having said that, and although I'd prefer he remained at NI, I still think O'Neill could do a job at Rangers. Apart from the drink-driving case, there have been a few rumours about his drinking, he claimed he didn't get the Hibs job on account of these (obviously false according to him) rumours. If he does indeed enjoy a few shandies, I doubt that could remain hidden if he was working at Rangers.

The Benitez shout is wild but IMO it’s along the right lines. We need our next manager to be a big name, someone that commands instant respect and someone the media have to take seriously.

For me the next guy needs to be a statement that we are back and now that we have got rid of the Ashley’s of the world and have retail income again we mean serious business.

I have been really impressed with Michael O'Neill at Northern Ireland. He gets the best out of individual players and the team collectively. He also does his homework on the opposition, something sadly missing at present. I would be disappointed to see him leave Northern Ireland, but a move to us would be ideal. Mind you compensation to the NIFA is £750,000.

Im in the big sam camp because he would not let teams do this to us, we would be doing it to them, just to get us stable for a couple of years, it wont be pretty but it will be effective.

And before anyone says he hasnt won anything, he has never had a team that could win anything.
How long do you think it would take to build a team that can bully the opposition?

Would it not be worth trying to build an actual football team in the same time?

"Get a few bodies in" - that was one of Big Eck's sayings too.

Buckle in for the 2017 versions of Dan Eggen, Dragan Mladenovic, Egil Ostenstad and Olivier Bernard.

The Benitez shout is wild but IMO it’s along the right lines. We need our next manager to be a big name, someone that commands instant respect and someone the media have to take seriously.

For me the next guy needs to be a statement that we are back and now that we have got rid of the Ashley’s of the world and have retail income again we mean serious business.

I hear you, chief.

The Rangers need a Rafalution.
While that is, of course, wishful thinking, when you consider the state we're in the idea of Big Sam has definite appeal.

I'm in!

No doubting the guy is a good manager and has done fantastic for N.I but just a gut feeling about him he wouldn't cut it at us.

Has Ranieri got a job yet?

Sean Dyche is normally mentioned in these threads, he could at least motivate Joey Barton... :p

Although I'll be honest, I've no idea what our level is in getting a manager in.

BTW those saying Big Sam, doesn't he have one of the worst win percentages for Premiership managers?

Benitez? As in the ex - Liverpool and Real Madrid manager? Ex- Champions League winner? :eek::D:D

Michael O'Neill is a Tim and applied for their job before they got Brenda. Got an interview according to a source close to him.

Highly doubt he would consider us, he has his eye on a Premier league club next summer. Drink driving charge will make that hard I suspect however.

O'Neill is a bevy merchant.
Full time club management would cripple him, he would be gone within 6 months.

O'Neil won't be interested in the Scotland job. He will also be offered jobs in England under on a bigger stage and on bigger wages.
Big Sam would mean we have to pay compensations and we cant/wont be doing that.
Face it - the next manager will be someone out of a job, or someone out of left field. it works some times, not always. Septic tried it with Deila while we were out of the division and they were comfortable. Worth a punt, but not in our situation. Not sure who the feck we will get!

Back