Gheorghe Hagi salutes his Rangers reception as he makes passionate defence of Ianis' Ibrox move

Also love the fact we gave Hagi Snr a Rangers top with his name on it, that's class
What I like about that whole article is that someone at Rangers took the time to ensure a bona fide legend was welcomed properly to the club . Whoever is in charge of these things at the moment is doing a fine job .

I suspect Gerrards influence doesn’t just end on the football pitch . When I did the tour last year the guy doing it said Gerrard has made a lot of demands and that his standards are high .

Lots of players take a bit of time to find their feet,look at Borna and Kent for example.Going back in time you could add Hately and McCoist to the list and they didn't turn out too badly.

He hasn’t been on his game but has still been contributing with a decent number of assists and the odd goal.

Hallmark of a good player is when they are not at their best but still able to play a part. 6 assists and a goal in 12 league games, 2 assists in 3 games in the Europa is good going considering.

Hagi is still young and he definitely offers a good threat with a final pass in the final 3rd. He's still developing and gets alot of undeserving stick imo. Give him time :)

Fantastic words about the Rangers by the 'Maradona of the Carpathians'.

It's obvious Hagi Sr knows a club with exceptional gravitas when he sees one. Love it.

I don’t get why people are so critical of him. When the team doesn’t play well he always seems to get it, when in reality it could be a number of players.

For me the signs are there he will develop into a class player. We have to accept his inconsistency at the moment. Just wish he had a burst of pace, he’s a bit like Arfield in that way, if you added pace to his game he would be a special player.

Gerard has managed Aribo, Barasic and Kent well and brought them on to a consistent game. I have no doubt the likes of Hagi and Itten will follow the same path.

I think you’ve hit on one of our management teams strong points, their ability to develop players, and not just the young ones.

I think you could have justified adding Kamara to your list too.

He IS at the right club to develop, and it’s all down to his desire & work ethic, because he has the attributes, subject to pace.

And even lack of pace need not be a factor, as long as he’s in a team that has it, and he’s pulling the strings & making the passes for the runs of those who possess the requisite pace.

Roofe, Kent, Aribo and Hagi are the 4 players we have capable of unlocking a packed defence/low block by having an eye for a clever pass and bravery on the ball.

We've been crying out for that in the last 2 seasons and now have genuine options.

Hagi is the furthest from form of those, certainly, but anyone who can't see the potential he has doesn't understand the game. I trust Gerrard to coach and develop him as he has done with most of that squad.

He’s still a wee boy, I like his attitude, not happening for him at the moment whenever he plays but there‘s things he can do that our other midfielders can’t like his superb vision for a pass. Just wish he was a bit quicker pace wise.

Still sitting top of the league in assists alongside Tav considering he's been on from the bench in quite a few games is a telling stat.

Ianis is a player and it's exciting to think how good hemight when he's truly settled and sharp.

Reactions: TQ3
He strikes me as a big game player with the ability to pull off something special to win games.
Ianis will play his part this season no doubt about it.

He'll be fine, he's an outstanding prospect, someone earlier mentioned Kent's first 6 months, that's a good comparison, once Kent got used to up here he was flying, plus Hagi has had to endure last seasons abrupt end when he was trying to find his feet, so realistically we can say this is his starter season, I've no doubts about him at all

As for Hagi senior, what a fantastic read to hear how our club respected him, and he clearly has for our club too, he was definitely up there with one of my favourites when I was a youngster in the 90s

What I like about that whole article is that someone at Rangers took the time to ensure a bona fide legend was welcomed properly to the club . Whoever is in charge of these things at the moment is doing a fine job .

I suspect Gerrards influence doesn’t just end on the football pitch . When I did the tour last year the guy doing it said Gerrard has made a lot of demands and that his standards are high .
Aye second this, the levels of professionalism throughout the full Rangers organisation is off the scale.

I can't shake off the feeling that, as good as he's been so far, we haven't seen the best of him yet by a long way.

One thing is for sure. Our coaching team are repeatedly showing that they can improve already very good players.

The lads only 22. He's going to prove to be a better signing than we already believe him to be.

Last edited:
Rangers are flying at the top of the League, and the media print this random, negative shite about one of our younger players ? They can sod off.

We’ve got to be patient with Hagi, he’s only 22 in a foreign country learning his trade, and he’s got 8 assists so far this season , not bad at all. I think we should cut him some slack, how pissed off would we be if we sold him on , only for him to become a superstar ( which he has the potential to become) be patient brothers

I think you’ve hit on one of our management teams strong points, their ability to develop players, and not just the young ones.

I think you could have justified adding Kamara to your list too.

He IS at the right club to develop, and it’s all down to his desire & work ethic, because he has the attributes, subject to pace.

And even lack of pace need not be a factor, as long as he’s in a team that has it, and he’s pulling the strings & making the passes for the runs of those who possess the requisite pace.
If the football brain is there, pace doesn't matter.

Excellent stats for assists, has scored some very important goals in big games. He'll continue to improve with the coaching he's getting. He's not likely to play every game with all the competition we have.

He's not playing that poorly but he's suffered a little with the style we are playing this year as he doesn't really fit what we're doing in the front 3. We look at our best with runners up top whilst he'd rather be the guy playing the pass. He'll get games as a rotation piece but I think Roofe's a better fit for the majority of starts just now. If he wants a regular start he'll need to beat out Arfield and/ or Aribo for a game as AM.

The legendary father of the Ibrox club's Romanian star remains convinced his son is at the right club.

0_gh.jpg

Gheorghe Hagi has rallied to the defence of his son Ianis and hailed Rangers as the right place for his development.
The legendary Barcelona playmaker also singled out Ibrox boss Steven Gerrard for praise and saluted the club for making him feel welcome on his visit to take in the Europa League game against Braga earlier in the year.
And while Ianis has been in and out of the team since his stunning showing that night, his Dad reckons he made the right choice in heading to Glasgow.
The 22-year old was moved down to the Romania under-21 squad in the last international window and has been criticised in his homeland.
But his famous father is adamant that doesn't mean he's moving backwards in his career.
Hagi said: "I believe in Ianis totally and I am very proud of him.

"I keep hearing he doesn't play very much at Rangers - well he's played in 13 out of 20 matches this season.

"It's true, he hasn't maybe scored as many goals as he would have wanted for Rangers, but the No.10 position he plays means he is not necessarily a goalscorer.
"He is the only Romanian player at a big club from the West. He's playing for a club who are in first place in the league and he's also playing in the only league in Europe that plays three matches a week all year round.
"Ianis is very well appreciated at Rangers. He will only get better playing for them.

"When I went to watch him last season, I was delighted to be greeted by a player as great as Steven Gerrard.
"Of all the clubs I have visited, Rangers were the club who received me the best. They even gave me a shirt with my name on it.
"It was a great reception and I left happy that Ianis had made the right choice.
"Ianis just loves football. He's never caused me any problems ever. He represents Romania very well in Europe and we should be proud of him."
Love this - think young hagi will become a top player as supporters we need to remember hes 22 and just moved here, I'm sure well help him develop into a real star of the game, no wonder his dad is sure were the best place for him, hes learning every day from McAllister gerrard and playing with other international midfielders- top learning environment for the lad

He scored the winner against Hibs then had that Braga performance and everyone expected him to do it every week. It feels like he's trying too hard but I absolutely love watching him. Aribo's goal against Livi a few weeks ago when he sets up Defoe for the initial shot, the quick feet from him is amazing.
Spot on ,at times when he makes a mistake he tries to right it straight away when it dose not come of you can see is frustration it’s all part of the learning he’ll come good .

He’s got plenty time on his hands. Look at the age of our midfield players. They won’t be there for ever.

Back