Gio and his coaches

An upgrade on SG & Co.
Without doubt. And I was sceptical after GvB's appointment. But the last couple of months, since THAT night at the chamber of secrets, he has really shown what he's all about. Looking forward to him getting a couple of quid to get his own guys in and really show what he can do. Let's not forget he's not actually bought anyone yet.

I am happier to have Gio in there.
I don't think Gerrard gets us near Seville.
Ironically enough though, I think if you give him that final, he wins it.

We seem to be worse at free kicks and corners, and no doubt Gerrard and Gio have put a lot into our fitness.
I hope our pre-season gives the players the base to achieve the fitness they have now.

He has improved Wright and Morelos.

I think we are better off.
Gio as manager with Gerrard as his assistant, would be a great combo I feel.
A pity football doesn't work that way.
McKaay is obviously putting in a lot of work with the strikers too.

No doubt we are in a better place.
Credit to our current and previous management teams.

Without doubt. And I was sceptical after GvB's appointment. But the last couple of months, since THAT night at the chamber of secrets, he has really shown what he's all about. Looking forward to him getting a couple of quid to get his own guys in and really show what he can do. Let's not forget he's not actually bought anyone yet.

I think he carried Gerrards team to the break, with a few tweaks.
We obviously spent the time off trying to put his own ideas across.
And ultimately it took the players a couple of weeks too many to get it fully into their head and start producing. Which, along with the blatant cheating, took the league too far out of our reach.

It was both.

Under Gerrard we played the same patterns all the time. The players were so well drilled that they struggled to adapt to doing different things. You could see initially players looking for somebody that would always be there but no longer were. We are a lot more varied and "off the cuff" under Gio

Gio also realised he had to control the midfield in Scotland and sorted that out. A combination of ditching the right winger and tucking them in, and getting the full backs higher so mean we were much more compact both in and out of possession meant we controlled games again, where we didn't do that for the first few months under Gio

He is also very very calm. Gerrard was very emotional and I don't think that helped the squad at times.

Agreed, Ive said that before, the team is like an image of their manager. When the first goal went in the camera cuts to him and he is completely calm.

Another thing I noticed yesterday, there was a passage of play and there was numerous small passes, almost like when they do the rondos that the team do.

Do we think there are parallels between Souness then Walter and Gerrard and Giovanni?

What I’m getting at is that Souness was absolutley the right man at the time for Rangers. He raised our profile tremendously and it allowed us to attract players we otherwise probably wouldn’t have been able to. However, he left at a crucial point in the season and it was a hammer blow initially at the time. This leaving Murray to make Walter our manager and the subsequent way he worked and conducted himself along with the bond he had with the squad.

I think its similar with the situation we’ve had recently. Gerrard was a magnificent appointment for us and his profile in the game being what it is allowed us to attract really good players at a crucial time for the club and he improved things around the club in a similar manner to what Souness did in the mid 80’s when he came in. Like Souness, he left quite suddenly and it was a gutter for most of us. Giovanni was appointed operates in a completely different fashion to Gerrard and sees the game differently and so far is conducting himself impeccably.

I think the circumstances at least are similar to our situation 30 odd years ago.
I actually think that this is a fantastic comparison. We can only dream that Gio is as successful as Walter Smith, and what a ride we're in for.

Gerrard was a terrific manager for the club and built fabulous foundations across the entire club. GVB has excelled in Europe and recently domestically.

His success will come down to how well he recruits this summer. We need a transfer window like Gerrard first couple. Needs to prove he can identify players with his scouting staff for his system

When it really clicked and the players fully trusted and understood the staff we started to kick on. I'm so excited for next season with Gios own players around really hope he gets a big budget. He deserves it.

I think next season with the right backing where he gets his own squad of players he trusts alongside the ones currently there we are in for an exciting season. Just shows he knows what he’s doing the amount of times we’ve all screamed why’s he making those changes and they end up working out for us a la yesterday jack and kamara, roofe for Morelos against the sheep, dortmund. I think as a team as much as SG done for us we were beginning to stagnate and Gio has injected a freshness and adaptability in our game.

We must have the best back room staff in the country as well our fitness levels are unbelievable.

Colin Stewart, GK coach, seems to be more vocal and involved under Gio. A few times this season I've noticed him racing to the touchline beside Gio passing on information etc.

Turning bassey into a star is his biggest achievement player wise.

He took a while to adjust the team and find a midfield.

It’s a shame we lost our strikers but he done the best out of a bad situation and then some.

Now he’s settled in and found a way forward I’m excited to see him get his own players in.

I think with Bassey especially It could just be that Gio showed more faith in him and that player was always there. Gerrard has his favourites that would play all the time. Under Gio Bassey took his chance and grabbed it and got himself infront of Borna in the pecking order?

It sometimes takes a few months(see Diallo) but I get the impression that if Gio and his staff can't get a tune out of a player, there isn't a player in there at all. Seen improvements across this team since he came in.

He's also the first manager who has been able to consistently win games without a fit and in-form Alfie, which is hugely promising.

I wasn’t sure about Gio in the beginning. Was a big fan when he played for us but managing but different story.
But I feel he has done a good job so far. The league was abit disappointing being clear of that mob.I’m excited for the summer to see what players he can get in and see how much he can improve us.

It was both.

Under Gerrard we played the same patterns all the time. The players were so well drilled that they struggled to adapt to doing different things. You could see initially players looking for somebody that would always be there but no longer were. We are a lot more varied and "off the cuff" under Gio

Gio also realised he had to control the midfield in Scotland and sorted that out. A combination of ditching the right winger and tucking them in, and getting the full backs higher so mean we were much more compact both in and out of possession meant we controlled games again, where we didn't do that for the first few months under Gio

He is also very very calm. Gerrard was very emotional and I don't think that helped the squad at times.

It really will be interesting to see how they get on next season. Getting a pre-season in and a full card of games ahead of them.

Gerrard was snob, he liked fine things ,he transformed Ibrox into a palace that is now beautiful. He also liked to play football. When he came to Ibrox it was a mess,he transformed the place and made it into what it used to be. He also with help of his staff identified some players that allowed us to win some games. Being a young coach he had the sense to recruit some people he knew were good at their jobs and whom he could rely on their support to fashion a team that could help him survive. The result was Ibrox became a palace again. However he was not getting the results he had hoped for and left. He was good for us and we should be happy about that, we should be happy also, because we recruited a genuine football coach. I for one am more than happy with the change in coaches and the change in the palace.

We don’t have to spend a fortune to get talent, free transfers and loans will looking to make permanent if all goes well, I’m hoping Gio dips into the Dutch market now and brings us a few over.

The last month the change in Scott Wright has astonished me, last month everyone on here would have been raging to see him start the Final in Seville to everyone raging that a clogger from Ross County just about put him out it.

Every game this month bringing him in from the wing has been a masterstroke and a well deserved goal on Saturday more than likely he'll get called up by the alkie.

Last edited:
Tactically I believe Gio is more advanced than Gerrard but we've still to see whether he is as good at selecting players. Gerrard has unearthed some crackers and built a great team at relatively low cost.
On the same note, Gerrards players have significantly improved under GVB. Lundstram, Wright and Bassey are three that come to mind. Morelos is another that has improved after SG left.

I believe GVB will discover a few gems and polish them up too.

These guys seem to really know how to coach the best out of the players.

One of the best things for me about Gio’s short tenure is how him and his coaching team have transformed certain players ie Bassey and Lundstram and maybe starting to get a tune out of Wright.

Bassey was no more than decent before he came in however Gio has transformed him and he is a totally different player to the one that started the season.
Lundstram was all but a goner in our heads in Jan, sticking by Wright and showing faith and confidence in him is now starting to bear fruit.
He has had a few good games recently.
Or it could be they took time to settle lol.

generally agree with all the points so far. my main concern for Gio is that while he seems to have strong tactical flexibility in more even games, there is still a concern over how he deals with low block/park the bus tactics (which I think was a concern in his role at Feyenoord).
Admittedly part of this might be less about tactics, and trying to sharpen up some of finishing, as think we've got a pretty wasteful team in terms of chances converted.

I think it’s harsh on Gerrard and his team to call them an upgrade etc, SG and Co delivered what we all wanted and people are quick to forget it.

I also agree though that GVB and his staff are excellent, but it was a change that was needed as SG’s time had clearly ran it course and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes we need to remember that.
Totally agree this place was goinginto overdrive when we signed Stevie G.Remember he was a rookie manager when he came to us.I think we were good for each other,he left us a better team and he improved as a manager.
He is gone,I wish him all the best and we move on with Gio.

They have been brilliant.

Took over a team struggling in Europe and had just been hammered in a semi final.

Our fitness levels are obscene.

The only negative is that, if we had lost yesterday, this place would have been full of threads wanting Gio sacked.

Great point about the fitness levels.

We ran over the top of Celtic and Hearts in extra time, despite having played 120 minutes against top class European opposition 2.5 days earlier.

You'd imagine a full pre season block under Gio will see those levels rise even more.

I am happier to have Gio in there.
I don't think Gerrard gets us near Seville.
Ironically enough though, I think if you give him that final, he wins it.

We seem to be worse at free kicks and corners, and no doubt Gerrard and Gio have put a lot into our fitness.
I hope our pre-season gives the players the base to achieve the fitness they have now.

He has improved Wright and Morelos.

I think we are better off.
Gio as manager with Gerrard as his assistant, would be a great combo I feel.
A pity football doesn't work that way.
McKaay is obviously putting in a lot of work with the strikers too.

No doubt we are in a better place.
Credit to our current and previous management teams.

Sorry mate, but I think it's very unlikely that we would've won in Seville under Gerrard.

He would've struggled to come up witht any sort of winning system without Roofe or Morelos.

Sorry mate, but I think it's very unlikely that we would've won in Seville under Gerrard.

He would've struggled to come up witht any sort of winning system without Roofe or Morelos.
I just have a feeling he would have.
Gave Roofe 20 minutes and he'd have got us a goal.

Just a feeling, but as I say, he would never have got us there, all hypothetical though.

I can't remember where it was, might have been pre-Leipzig on BT, but they spoke about how the system Gio plays is actually a great deal simpler than Gerrard had. Players seem to have less responsibilities and are able to focus more on their role. I think that's where we're seeing guys like Wright and Lundstram shine.

Gio and the team have clearly gotten fully up to speed now - when he first arrived he was too cautious in his desire to sort out what was at the time a leaky defence, but that came at the cost of limiting Tav and Borna's offensive urges. He also fell into the trap of giving Celtic too much respect in his first Old Firm game (not the manager to do that). But he's got their number now, I'm sure, and I'm confident that he'll do great next season.

Agree so on the points about the improvement in certain players, and hopefully he continues to give the younger players a chance too.

Back