Gio and the League Cup semi against Hibs

jimbear

Like many Bears last night I lay in my bed wondering about what took place at the piggery. In FF immediately after the game, more than a few Bears passed comment on our style of play since Gio took over and the fact that Tav and Borna just don't seem to be able to perform to the same levels in Gio's system as they did under that of Gerrard's. While we did seem to be a lot more open to the counter under Gerrard's system we also carried a far greater attacking threat to make up for it. In my opinion a lot of what has taken place is a direct result of what happened against Hibs in the first 20 minutes of that semi at Hampden and Gio's decision to tear up the script after it. The Hibs game was an aberration and happened in the week after Gerrard walked, when the players were probably feeling sorry for themselves and the ship was rudderless. McGregor's goalkeeping that day was also another factor. The bottom line as far as I am concerned is that GVB did not have to alter the system nor should he have done so. The players were working with a system that had been built up over time which they knew, were quite comfortable with and it was successful. In my opinion the decision to change it mid season was a wrong one. Had GVB wanted to alter the structure he should have waited until after the end of this season.

Back