Gio & his subs

And Lundstram to go back into midfield, which allowed us better control of the game.

I couldn’t believe he was getting flack for that sub. It almost worked perfectly with the Kent chance.

If we won it the same people would be on here calling it a masterclass tbf.

That’s a few times he’s made subs, been questioned for it and it’s won us the game.

It's almost as if there's a good reason they have to do coaching badges. It's the audacity of some folk, they don't even wait to see if it's a tactical sub or a straight swap. Straight away, just moan moan fucking moan.

I would have brought on some of the kids for the last few minutes, around the same time as AM. Yes appreciate it has a small potential to backfire, but Heartz were blowing out there arses after we went 2 up

If we won it the same people would be on here calling it a masterclass tbf.

Tbh it WAS a tactical masterclass going to 3 at the back and pushing Tav and Borna on. We controlled extra time and they turned into the counter attacking team we were told to expect.

Frankfurt were definitely the better team in 90 but we were by far the better team in the ET.

Gerrard tended to be very like for like with his substitutions in order to maintain his favoured formation(s).

I still maintain we wouldn’t have gotten to the EL final under him.

Gio is more tactically flexible and his changes tend to be more productive, hence why we got there under him.

When we were all up in arms at his decision to bring on Wright instead of Roofe or Sakala today, he once again showed us that we ultimately know the square root of f**k all.

I’m incredulous that folk cannot see how the Sands sub, and consequential formation switch, changed the game in our favour.

Some just see a defensive player coming on and assume shutting up shop. It was the opposite.

Its combinations of emotions and downright ignorance.

Loads can't read a game or see the changes, its obvious the changes on Wednesday had a major impact considering how we started to get a hold of the game, especially in extra time.

Again today people raging about the Jack and Kamara subs.

Probably the same people that were choking for Tav to get dropped for Patterson, dumbest fvcking cry I've read in years!

I’m incredulous that folk cannot see how the Sands sub, and consequential formation switch, changed the game in our favour.

Some just see a defensive player coming on and assume shutting up shop. It was the opposite.
Agreed, it's constant. Defender on means defensive change o_O

Also, Roofe came on with a stone cold Steve Austin leg brace to take a penalty and people are questioning why he didn't get the last 10 mins of the game or all of extra time...

Not sure. Thought he would've been better bringing on Roofe instead of Sands in the Europa League final??
Would have left us short on our defence to do that, when he came in it gave Tav much needed cover and allowed him to push up the park to be more effective

I remember ahead of his appoinrment, Feyenoord fans saying that his use of subs wasn't the best, and his lack of rotation in the early months here was indeed something of a concern. But he's got a lot right tactically of late, so he's either lucky or, as with anyone good at their job, constantly learning and developing. Long may it continue.

1 cup final under Gerrard. 2 in Gio’s first 6 months, including a euro final. That’s not bad is it.

Actually surprised there hasn’t been a thread crediting Gerrard for today yet!
Exactly. We would have been nowhere near Seville with Gerard managing our team

Something that always bothered me under Gerrard was his lack of substitutions and his choice of substitutions when he finally chose to do it.

But Gio seems have this absolutely nailed. Brings on the right players at the right times and has paid off so many times.

Well done Gaffer
Mate I think Gios tactics and line up were shocking today. He played the full game including ET without a striker.

If we lost today again there would be people
Shouting for his head. I’m still not convinced about next season or giving him funds

Delighted we won and over the moon about that so well done everyone and GIO.. I do think he said Lowry would get minutes today tho,,.

Must admit when he brought Jack and Kamara on i was thinking WTF, but we then totally controlled the game.

Which goes to show why he has the role and we don’t. I wanted them to start, but it looks like the stranglehold they placed over the game at the right point won it. Maybe if they started then hearts energy would have prevailed!

I miss the ‘he’s out his depth’ posts.

107 caps for Holland
Ex Barca, Feyenoord and Arsenal
Champions League Winner
World Cup Finalist
Already successful manager

I would have brought on some of the kids for the last few minutes, around the same time as AM. Yes appreciate it has a small potential to backfire, but Heartz were blowing out there arses after we went 2 up
Disagree about bringing them on just for the show. The message should be: You've seen it, You know how it feels, now go out and do it for yourselves.

The only one I felt was necessary was the usual Balogun for Barasic at 70+ mins, I think he was trying to hold on to Barasic for pens, but that didn't work out as Barasic got injured anyway....

Back