Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

So, you want a manager who is out-performing his predecessor sacked? I don't get it.

And I know the players love having him as manager, love training, atmosphere round the place etc as a fact. As in have been told that directly on several occasions from, lets just say, people who work very closely with all squads that train at Auchenowie.

The 'world' that football players live in and our world is completely different. Professional footballers don't look at football as binary the way we do. In the age of social media everything is either terrible or great. In reality its not like that at all. Our squad have a very close bond.
The defenders love playing side passes along the 18 yard box do they then 8 passes later we reach the centre line ? Well they sure as hell don't look like it on the pitch then.

He threw the league away last season from a great position
Celtic went on a great run at the start of the year; we had some shocking refereeing decisions, playing two games a week almost every week and an injury crisis.

These things happen in football, it’s not like we had a 20 point lead and threw it away.

I have been on this messageboard since the very early days,over the last couple of months the perma rage over everything at the club really is tiresome.Deep down we all knew we were going to lose last night but it’s pretty clear some dusted down the posts they had ready for Saturday but us spanking hearts putt paid to that.

There's no way we are coming out of the season with 109 points so there will be plenty of dropped points to come and with every dropped point there will be a lot of angry posters on FF.

Even if 95 points is enough to win the league we'd have 2 defeats and 4 draws to look forward to and all of the associated commentary that comes with that. God help us if we are eliminated from one of the cups.

Gerrard left us suddenly in November last season. Gio came in and took us to a European final and won a domestic cup. If Gerrard was "only won 1 out of 9" then Gio is "won 1 out of 2 so far". Then he takes us past PSV into the Champions League.

Negative style of play though. Boring interviews. Blah blah blah.

What chance does any future Rangers manager really have? Come in halfway through a season, take us to a European final, win a domestic cup, take us into the Champions League. Supporters want your head on a pike anyway.

Then if we do win the league the same people who were demanding heads should roll in August will be pretending like nothing ever happened. They are "just happy to be proved wrong" or some other crap.

He should get to the end of the season. Unless the tims were to run away with the league then we might as well start over as soon as possible.

When it's all said and done. Gio cannot progress this team any further. He's made some terrible calls and hasn't taken any calculated risks. He's not a leader and he showed that not only last night but many times before. His last ditch efforts in the second half bringing on Sakala and Matondo who played well, just showed he never had it right in the first place.

I dunno, but how much time do we give him? We stick with him drop more points behind them and they are onto instant CL qualification again and more money to transfers….we finish 2nd and continue signing very poorly. I just don’t know
I don’t wilson to get any decent players right now even if we do win the league

He gets the rest of this season and the screaming wifies of FF.com just have to stfu.
Realistically I think this is true, however if we don’t win a trophy this season (and it’s definitely at risk) then we’ll look back at this stage in the season thinking if we had changed it NOW then we could’ve won the league or more

When it's all said and done. Gio cannot progress this team any further. He's made some terrible calls and hasn't taken any calculated risks. He's not a leader and he showed that not only last night but many times before. His last ditch efforts in the second half bringing on Sakala and Matondo who played well, just showed he never had it right in the first place.
I'll flip this, they both start last night instead of Kent and Tillman and the result goes the same way. He would still get the same abuse if not worse

I'll flip this, they both start last night instead of Kent and Tillman and the result goes the same way. He would still get the same abuse if not worse
I'm not a fan of GvB as a manager.. But i would have at least given him credited for doing something I wouldn't expect him to do. Instead he did his usual

Or…..

Quick players coming on against tired legs make good impact subs.

Realistically I think this is true, however if we don’t win a trophy this season (and it’s definitely at risk) then we’ll look back at this stage in the season thinking if we had changed it NOW then we could’ve won the league or more
There’s a risk of no trophy at this stage of any season. We are still in both cups and two behind in the league. Just as likely to look back and say we did the right thing.

Or…..

Quick players coming on against tired legs make good impact subs.
Yeah that is the idea but in this case there was zero pace in the first place against a superior, faster and stronger Liverpool. Clearly that pace was needed at the start not in the second half.

Hibs and Hearts away are generally pretty tough fixtures for us.
Hibs I can’t subscribe to, they’re muck and aren’t exactly tough. We showed any quality in the final 3rd that day and we pump them, regardless of Collum.
Hearts is fair, however they’ve been quite poor this season, at least in performances

I’ve never been a fan of Gio and to say otherwise would be revisionism on my part but from a board perspective I can understand why they think he deserves more time. Personally, I still think it’s going to inevitably end with us sacking him.

It’s all very weird as it’s not like our previous non-league winning managers, he’s not a poor manager.

Hibs I can’t subscribe to, they’re muck and aren’t exactly tough. We showed any quality in the final 3rd that day and we pump them, regardless of Collum.
Hearts is fair, however they’ve been quite poor this season, at least in performances
Even if Hibs are off the boil Easter Road is a difficult place for us to go. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s like going to Anfield but in terms of Scottish football it’s always one of the more tricky games.

Not "claptrap" from my perspective, tazza - I really don't get what the aim is under Gio. I get changing tactics during a game to respond to specific circumstances, and I've seen him do that several times (and not do that several times). I just don't get what his vision of how he wants us to play looks like.
Why do you feel like you have to “understand” what he’s trying to do.
When did this become a thing?
Is it not enough to understand that he’s
If it’s that important, take up coaching.

He is no better than Warburton - for him to keep his job there needs to be some signs of improvement - there are no signs unfortunately
Didn’t see Warburton even finish second in the league or win a cup.
Might have done better in Europe though and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.

The defenders love playing side passes along the 18 yard box do they then 8 passes later we reach the centre line ? Well they sure as hell don't look like it on the pitch then.
How so?
What are they doing to suggest they don't enjoy doing it?

I'd love it if he came back but you know the success is never going to be a guaranteed thing.

Tims go on a winning run of, say, ten games and we have two defeats under Beale? Suddenly it's a different prospect. A shock cup defeat, now we're getting angry again. Failure to qualify for CL next season? Maybe we should sack him and get someone else in?

How long would we realistically give Beale?

Personally, I look at the squad of players and feel like that's a bigger problem right now?

Goalkeeper position up in the air and uncertain.
No cover for Tav.
Really cutting in fine with CB options. No partnership looking outstanding right now.
Ageing midfield with very few attacking options.
A load of options on the left and right up front but none of them really looking great just now.

Only Colak up front looking like we've got something real and promising there. Morelos a good option too.

What is any manager really going to do with these options that we have?

The manager is only part of the problem.
Personally I don't like gios style of play , I understand the high of Europa League final. It was a huge high and took the shine of the scums title.
Right now that Europa League final seems like years ago.
The other part of the problem is too many players are underachievers and doesn't take long until they start disappearing on a regular basis.

Why was my thread on Gio's man management chopped?

Wasn't calling for him to be sacked or abusive or anything like that.

It's a genuine topic that quite alot of us find bizarre and worth discussing.

Gio will not be judged, in my opinion, on anything he does in Europe.
He has already exceeded higher expectations there, in his short term.

But if he can't make a decent fist of it in the league, and keep up with them, then he will be gone.
Right now as it stands 2 points behind, is not insurmountable.

It's an easy answer we are rangers, being second is not good enough anyone not willing to take the job on that basis shouldn't be in contention anyway!
This we are Rangers patter sounds good in Scotland because we and them lord it over the league, 2 big fish in a very small pond.

Then we go into europe and the majority of teams have no fear or respect for the both of us. Our history in europe proves this, every now and again we go on a good run, but the fact is we have only lifted one trophy. Europe's a lot harder now than back then and we won't or ever will win the cl. Basically we're both like a st mirren in the scottish cup,get a good run sometimes. That's always been the case with us and them. Apart from the small countries like Gibraltar, no one fears us in Europe.

The guy who took us to only our fifth European final and is still only second in the league, only two points behind, isn’t wanted.
Not for no the football is dire to watch look its just my opinion if others think different that's fine .

Not for no the football is dire to watch look its just my opinion if others think different that's fine .
Did you feel the same with some of the performances in the second half of two seasons under Gerrard or the many times our performances “weren’t up to the required standard” under, even Smith?

I'd love it if he came back but you know the success is never going to be a guaranteed thing.

Tims go on a winning run of, say, ten games and we have two defeats under Beale? Suddenly it's a different prospect. A shock cup defeat, now we're getting angry again. Failure to qualify for CL next season? Maybe we should sack him and get someone else in?

How long would we realistically give Beale?

Personally, I look at the squad of players and feel like that's a bigger problem right now?

Goalkeeper position up in the air and uncertain.
No cover for Tav.
Really cutting in fine with CB options. No partnership looking outstanding right now.
Ageing midfield with very few attacking options.
A load of options on the left and right up front but none of them really looking great just now.

Only Colak up front looking like we've got something real and promising there. Morelos a good option too.

What is any manager really going to do with these options that we have?
Correct, we’ve a poor squad of players but the manager doesn’t help for me. The manager should be getting more out of the squad but unfortunately we’ve a squad sorely lacking in quality.

That wasn't "last ditch efforts"

It was clearly the game plan to keep the game tight going into the last 20 minutes and try get a goal.

We nearly did but for a goal line clearance. Would have made the last 5 minutes plus injury time interesting.

Its pretty much exactly how SPFL teams play at Ibrox.

As long as it's not abusive, surely debating, any Rangers subject, are what these forum are all about?
At least.
I always thought they were!

There were threads after the Hearts game that Gio had turned the corner and we looked far better…

Fast forward to losing against one of the best teams in the world 2-0 and its back to Gio out.

Im not Gio’s biggest fan and have my doubts but its very much 1 step forward and 2 back so far…

We can write off Europe IMO but if he doesnt win every league game before the WC then his tea is out and we have time to get someone else in.

Last edited:
There's no way we are coming out of the season with 109 points so there will be plenty of dropped points to come and with every dropped point there will be a lot of angry posters on FF.

Even if 95 points is enough to win the league we'd have 2 defeats and 4 draws to look forward to and all of the associated commentary that comes with that. God help us if we are eliminated from one of the cups.

Gerrard left us suddenly in November last season. Gio came in and took us to a European final and won a domestic cup. If Gerrard was "only won 1 out of 9" then Gio is "won 1 out of 2 so far". Then he takes us past PSV into the Champions League.

Negative style of play though. Boring interviews. Blah blah blah.

What chance does any future Rangers manager really have? Come in halfway through a season, take us to a European final, win a domestic cup, take us into the Champions League. Supporters want your head on a pike anyway.

Then if we do win the league the same people who were demanding heads should roll in August will be pretending like nothing ever happened. They are "just happy to be proved wrong" or some other crap.

He should get to the end of the season. Unless the tims were to run away with the league then we might as well start over as soon as possible.
It was gerrards team and GIO didn’t have to build a team from scratch he is however turning good players into a shadow of themselves

Probably because there have been about a thousand threads having a go at Gio since the game finished last night.

I’m sure you could have found one to post your thoughts of his man management in.

I've resigned myself to a dull, boring season under Gio.

He'll get until the end of the season regardless of performances as we'll win enough domestic games for the board not to act.

Nice guys very rarlely manage teams to success.

I’m not for gio to go but he needs to take a look and be pro active and not just change to bit more attack when we’re getting beat but attack is the best form of defence and the board won’t sack him as he’s brought about 60/70 million in un budgetEd money with EL run and getting groups anyone thinks the CL wa nothing than a money maker with hope of getting 3rd are in cloud cuckoo land

He's got a free hit at playing Matondo, Colak and Sakala as a front 3 and playing Yimaz at LB on Saturday as that seems to be what the majority want.
If I was him I'd do it, it might spark us into life and let us build on our result last Saturday.

I would want him gone asap.
He’s sucking the enjoyment out of the game for me with his negative tactics and head scratching team selections.
Let’s just forget the 4-0 drubbing of third placed Hearts on their own patch a few days ago, a game many expected us to lose.

Some folk made their mind up about Gio a long time ago so anything that doesn’t fit with the view he’s a managerial numpty is immediately ignored.

I don’t know if he’ll succeed with us or not and agree there are definite concerns about him, but the degree with which many appear utterly zealous in their determination to ride him out of town is both bizarre and delusional considering what he has actually achieved in the year he’s been in the job.

Despite most accepting the step up to CL football with our budget would likely be a struggle, especially in the group we landed in, now that it’s actually happening some appear unable to process it and are instead using it as more ammo to have a pop at the manager with.

He deserves better than that, IMO.

You're just making stuff up now though.
Hardly, Sakala and Matondo had been written off by plenty and shouldn't see a Rangers shirt again. Now they have had a couple of decent cameos, the very same people are using it as a stick to beat Gio with as they don't get started or come on earlier. The goals posts constantly change to fit the 'Get Gio out' narrative of many.

Let’s just forget the 4-0 drubbing of third placed Hearts on their own patch a few days ago, a game many expected us to lose.

Some folk made their mind up about Gio a long time ago so anything that doesn’t fit with the view he’s a managerial numpty is immediately ignored.

I don’t know if he’ll succeed with us or not and agree there are definite concerns about him, but the degree with which many appear utterly zealous in their determination to ride him out of town is both bizarre and delusional considering what he has actually achieved in the year he’s been in the job.

Despite most accepting the step up to CL football with our budget would likely be a struggle, especially in the group we landed in, now that it’s actually happening some appear unable to process it and are instead using it as more ammo to have a pop at the manager with.

He deserves better than that, IMO.
I am sick of going every week and watching the same turgid shite - everyone in our group who goes to the games feel the same. It looks like some of the players are sick of playing in it also.

I don’t see him being able to change things and I don’t see us winning a league under Gio. I’d love to be proved wrong but I just don’t see it.

Back