Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Where was that Gerrard criticism exactly? Id suggest it was quite the opposite and as Captain/Leader, he carried his sometimes club and country sides when they were less than their best. Its the reason he was a career-long Captain at both levels.

As for the laziness, I think after this long in charge and the problems remaining its hardly lazy to draw those conclusions. Its logical and to ignore them would be folly.

The comparison of performance levels from Gerrard to Gio has nothing to do with Nationality so including it in the conversation is both naïve and disrespectful to both.

Results and performances are in the history books and online to review. Maybe take a look back and before making engaging in stereotype talk.

I couldnt care less where someone comes from or what their background is, I just want them to make the most of whatever they have at Rangers and always look to improve it, even a little.

I saw it in droves under Gerrard, I dont see it under Gio.

Simple as that with not an ounce of naivety.
Maybe you should judge both when they have the same amount of time in the role of manager.

The first half season for Gio in a European final and won a cup we hadn't won in years.
The second start of the season sees us qualifying for the Champions league.

Let's hope for more success under him rather than just look for the negatives.

I'm not saying he's perfect and agree with every decision but I didn't under Gerrard either both had faults and plusses and minuses.

Congratulations for not waiting to jump on the bandwagon after he lost a game. You’re blaming him for a result before he was even manager because he didn’t disrupt the preparations of the guys who were taking the team.

I’d like to applaud you for sticking to your principles and not allowing trivial wins over Dortmund, Leipzig, Red Star, Braga or PSV Eindhoven to sway you from the judgment you made because Gio didn’t break the law and risk his work permit application.

The mental regression didn’t stop him raising the players after the devastation of losing at penalties in Seville to win the cup final thereafter.

That also highlighted the physical regression as we racked up extra time like it was going out of fashion. At the business end of last season we it seemed we were playing 4 hours per week every time a big game came round and looked the fitter team at the end of every match.
Yes he’s done great , let’s just keep him and maybe we will win the Scottish cup every year . You’ve changed my mind

If someone had said to us at the start of the season that on the 6th of October you would be 2 points behind despite having a much more difficult run of fixtures, still in the league cup and about to host Liverpool at Ibrox in the champions league then everyone here would absolutely have taken that. It’s not been perfect - far from it but some people are absolutely obsessed with the negatives.
You don't have to be obsessed with negatives to see them, they are staring right at us. Ignoring the shambolic CL performances (everyone is forgetting the USG game for some reason), we are lucky if we have put in about two good domestic performances this season. That's a shocking thing to say considering it's October now.

Say 'it's the results that matter' all you want but our level of domestic performance is not sustainable and will see us chuck the league in the same manner we did last season.

Some of the stuff posted on here is utterly mental.

There is no support more extreme than ours. I have always said that our support is 100/100 for loyalty, that can never be questioned, but rational reasonable football thoughts is about 3/100.

Simple fact is GVB deserves this season - if he can’t deliver the title and trophies then he should go. If he does deliver the title then you will find me in a coma from over celebrating.

You don't have to be obsessed with negatives to see them, they are staring right at us. Ignoring the shambolic CL performances (everyone is forgetting the USG game for some reason), we are lucky if we have put in about two good domestic performances this season. That's a shocking thing to say considering it's October now.

Say 'it's the results that matter' all you want but our level of domestic performance is not sustainable and will see us chuck the league in the same manner we did last season.
The USG away performance was horrendous. But as always with knock out ties, it’s a two legged affair. Gio has had 6 in Europe and has got through every single tie.

Unless he drastically changes tactics he’s finished now.

The problem is higher up. Ross could do some long term damage here.

The USG away performance was horrendous. But as always with knock out ties, it’s a two legged affair. Gio has had 6 in Europe and has got through every single tie.
It was still an utter muck performance against a muck team which he never learned from. The two in midfield drastically failed against them so why did he expect it to work against Liverpool?

As I've said before, the fans played a bigger role than anything in getting us through those ties. Not saying he shouldn't get credit for it, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that our performances at home are a different level compared to away.

It was still an utter muck performance against a muck team which he never learned from. The two in midfield drastically failed against them so why did he expect it to work against Liverpool?

As I've said before, the fans played a bigger role than anything in getting us through those ties. Not saying he shouldn't get credit for it, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that our performances at home are a different level compared to away.
Oh god aye, USG away we literally couldn’t pass the ball to one of our own players. It was utterly horrendous. But we went through. Which is what matters. And GVB is 6/6 from knock out ties against Dortmund/Red Star/Braga/Leipzig/USG and PSV. If that doesn’t deserve enormous credit then we are as well giving up now.

But clearly the approach for Braga and Leipzig away was to just get through the game and make it a shoot out at Ibrox. And why wouldnt you? Ibrox was a cauldron last season and opposition players froze. That set up got us to a European final. Mindboggling that’s overlooked.

The set up at Anfield I didn’t have a massive issue with, it was the personnel that was a head scratcher. Tillman on the right wing I just couldn’t see what the point was.

There have been ups and downs with Gio at the helm.
Bottom line for him this season. He needs to win the league this season, and he needs to find a way of getting the squad to start battering everyone in the league. Especially the bheasts from the east.

As I posted yesterday in chopped thread.

It's more about his management style, his stubbornness with certain players or freezing players out for weeks then throwing them back in that is Gio's biggest issue.

You can't have a guy sit on the bench for a month then throw him into a huge game or expect Yilmaz to perform when given the chance when he has had no minutes.

Tavernier, Kamara, Kent, Lundstram, Morelos and more all off form or patchy to say the least and it's October now.

We are not going to rid of Gio while we are sitting two points behind in the league.i have my doubts about Gio but he is going to get to the end of the season unless we collapse totally.

A tragically bad manager that somehow managed to take us all the way to the Europa League final, qualify for the CL and win the Scottish Cup knocking out the Yahoos in the process?

Okay then.
Now he's putting his own stamp on the team and it's going downhill. I've got no doubt that inherited a squad/team that was working off old influences and he was using that until he could really put his own stamp on it. Now he is, every part of our game is getting worse.

People can live off old glories on half a season and getting us into the CL but I still don't see that Gio will take us forward. His negative style of football is awful to watch and more often than not struggles to get the results. I certainly don't see anything improving as we're moving on.

We are not going to rid of Gio while we are sitting two points behind in the league.i have my doubts about Gio but he is going to get to the end of the season unless we collapse totally.
No, I don't think we would either. I don't expect Gio to be sacked. I would like Gio gone from Rangers as manager, but I genuinely don't expect the board to move him on based on the very reason you stated. Sadly, I have my concerns with this board on how bad it would actually need to get first.

2 points off the pace in the league despite an extremely tough schedule of games.

Qualification for the CL against a very good PSV side and a Belgian side who finished second last year.

The game at the piggery was terrible and I have said all along that if we ended the first quarter worse than the 5 points we were tracking at, I would have said he’s a dead man walking as there would have been no wiggle room.

The domestic performances have not been brilliant but within them, we have won 3 of them 4-0 and only lost at parkhead.

There is a lunatic fringe on here that are demanding he is sacked, they will demand the next manager is sacked and so on.

The bottom line is, he doesn’t deserve to be sacked. The suggestion the players are not playing for him is also bollocks
His results against Celtic should get him the sack.

He has no answer to their tactics against us which - it's not possible to win a league title until that changes

To be the Rangers Manager you need to live and breath it 247, you also have to really want that commitment or itll bury you. Gerrard had it and used it to great effect during his time.
This would be the same Gerrard who barely turned up for training and spent most of his time at home in England in the months before he snuck out the back door to Villa, yes?

There is a poster on this thread yesterday saying he's adamant the players are right behind the manager, love gvb, they love the training etc

We are two points behind in the league with two home games against Celtic to come.

We are playing in the Champions League.

We reached the Europa League final last season.

We lost the league by 4 points last year, while still competing in Europe and the Scottish cup.

We won the Scottish cup for the first time in over a decade.

Have all the performances been good? No, definitely not. However I find it ridiculous to say it’s not working out.
How many domestic performances have been good? How many times have you watched us domestically and left thinking "wow we were bloody good there"?
I genuinely can think of Hearts last season when we scored 5 and it could've been 10.

I’ll comment then, 2 decent months in the championship after walking out in the club a year ago doesn’t make him anything close to deserving a crack at our job
Many bears fancied him as a direct replacement as soon as Stevie G left. I would also prefer to see how he does over a couple of seasons (perhaps one even in the Prem), but then there is a risk of the Graham Potter phenomenon, where he gets hunted out by another top club.

Some of the stuff posted on here is utterly mental.

There is no support more extreme than ours. I have always said that our support is 100/100 for loyalty, that can never be questioned, but rational reasonable football thoughts is about 3/100.

Simple fact is GVB deserves this season - if he can’t deliver the title and trophies then he should go. If he does deliver the title then you will find me in a coma from over celebrating.

Considering some of the utter nonsense you see on here we have a cheek to have, and laugh at, the 'Kerryfail Meltdown' thread.

Pot and Kettle.

How many domestic performances have been good? How many times have you watched us domestically and left thinking "wow we were bloody good there"?
I genuinely can think of Hearts last season when we scored 5 and it could've been 10.
I never tried to claim domestic performances have been good, however I don’t think they have all been bad.

Last season domestically was also far overshadowed by our European performances, which incidentally picked up dramatically after GVB took over.

I guess what’s annoying me a bit is that people seem to be performing mental gymnastics to discredit what GVB has achieved and then shout about what isn’t going well to purely suit how they feel at the moment.

I never tried to claim domestic performances have been good, however I don’t think they have all been bad.

Last season domestically was also far overshadowed by our European performances, which incidentally picked up dramatically after GVB took over.

I guess what’s annoying me a bit is that people seem to be performing mental gymnastics to discredit what GVB has achieved and then shout about what isn’t going well to purely suit how they feel at the moment.
FWIW I've been very clear in not wanting him as manager since before he was appointed, but on the back of taking us to a European Final I gave him the benefit of the doubt, put my personal feelings aside and said I'll give him a pre-season and signing his own players to see what he does with them. No one should judge him on CL results, CL performances are another matter but again he can get a bit of slack there.
Domestically, we are turgid. There's no other word for it, our style of football would bore you to tears. It is honestly akin to walking football.
He continually makes mistakes, often more than once eg. Tillman from the right
This run of games in the league is probably the kindest he will get all season, so lets see where it takes us

Many bears fancied him as a direct replacement as soon as Stevie G left. I would also prefer to see how he does over a couple of seasons (perhaps one even in the Prem), but then there is a risk of the Graham Potter phenomenon, where he gets hunted out by another top club.
Many bears just love to sook him off tho as he is nice about us on twitter. Less than a year since they all had the fake birthday party in London to negotiate Their way out the door. We’d not forgive a player Doing that in a year, so why so many do with a coach/ manager is beyond me

Many bears just love to sook him off tho as he is nice about us on twitter. Less than a year since they all had the fake birthday party in London to negotiate Their way out the door. We’d not forgive a player Doing that in a year, so why so many do with a coach/ manager is beyond me
That’s football

Yeah, but we don't have a clue what went on with the board vs management team either.
Look at Gerrards interview after 55, excited and promising an exciting summer for the fans (he wouldn't have said that without prior from the board/SR/RW)
Then we know what came of that window.

You just need to look at van Bronckhorst post PSV as well, excited about the prospect of having money to spend. We then spent nothing.

I’d be more worried about falling asleep during games with the football his sides play times.

What about you? I’m guessing you’d be happy for him to carry on as long as he fancies it, seeing as you’ve got that “it’s not the winning, it’s the taking part that counts” mentality :))
Lol I don't have the mentality where I can keep having the same discussion over Gio every week, which I mean.. I'm probably being kind by saying weekly when in comes to FF. Much closer to daily.

He will get at least the season (unless there is some major capitulation), whether that's the right or wrong answer remains to be seen, however I do agree that there are things that could be better.

What I'm certainly not going to do though is gage him too harshly on this group in the CL. A competition he played a massive part in getting us to incidentally :))

You just know you’ll be sitting watching Gioball with the horseshoe shit passing from side to side.

Your post is a load of nonsense. There is no such thing as Gio ball.

Even under Gerrard we passed the ball around the back four quite often attempting to shift the opposition from side to side to exploit any gaps that may appear.

Your post is a load of nonsense. There is no such thing as Gio ball.

Even under Gerrard we passed the ball around the back four quite often attempting to shift the opposition from side to side to exploit any gaps that may appear.

In the last few weeks people seem to have convinced themselves that under Gerrard we played like Pep's Barcelona of 2008 and conveniently forgot about the tepid football that seen us draw at home to the likes of Motherwell, Hearts, St Johnstone, Kilmarnock and even lose to the likes of Aberdeen and Hamilton at Ibrox.

That's before we get into the defeats at Rugby Park, Tannadice and Tynecastle that were akin to watching Warburton's Rangers at times.

Not a fan of changing management during a season unless there is a much better option available, which I have no idea is out there to take us forward.
As the old saying goes, his coat is on a shoogly peg.

FWIW I've been very clear in not wanting him as manager since before he was appointed, but on the back of taking us to a European Final I gave him the benefit of the doubt, put my personal feelings aside and said I'll give him a pre-season and signing his own players to see what he does with them. No one should judge him on CL results, CL performances are another matter but again he can get a bit of slack there.
Domestically, we are turgid. There's no other word for it, our style of football would bore you to tears. It is honestly akin to walking football.
He continually makes mistakes, often more than once eg. Tillman from the right
This run of games in the league is probably the kindest he will get all season, so lets see where it takes us
It’s probably where we differ, and it’s similar to arguments here 12 years ago.

I’ll take us grinding out results if it brings us success over playing great football but ultimately coming up short.

Obviously good football and success is the preference but winning is what matters and so far on that front we are not in a terrible place.

Think the question is nonsense based on the Liverpool game. He will never be judged on this season's Champions League being poor. Despite what any of us thought before the international break he is still here. His last league game was away to Hearts where we played well and won 4-0 of we keep improving on our league form why is it even a question?

Not a fan of changing management during a season unless there is a much better option available, which I have no idea is out there to take us forward.
As the old saying goes, his coat is on a shoogly peg.
There are always good managers available.

We wouldn't want to be taking someone who is employed, because we'd have lose money sacking our current manager.

Marco Rose was free for RB Leipzig and looks a good fit. We need a good fit too.

Steve Cooper will be sacked in a couple of weeks. He'd be an option.

I'm sure there are quite a few across Europe as well. It is sacking season after all.

This would be the same Gerrard who barely turned up for training and spent most of his time at home in England in the months before he snuck out the back door to Villa, yes?
No its the Gerrard who took Rangers at their lowest and restored them to success and prestige within an incredibly short timeframe given the problems he walked into.

The other Gerrard is best kept to the realm of fantast from whence he came.

It’s probably where we differ, and it’s similar to arguments here 12 years ago.

I’ll take us grinding out results if it brings us success over playing great football but ultimately coming up short.

Obviously good football and success is the preference but winning is what matters and so far on that front we are not in a terrible place.
Don't get me wrong, if he wins the league then I'll be as happy as any, but the journey to it will have been forgettable, as you say that's not what matters though.

No its the Gerrard who took Rangers at their lowest and restored them to success and prestige within an incredibly short timeframe given the problems he walked into.

I see we're now at the "denial" stage of grief. The imaginary stage where Gerrard didn't fail to qualify for the Champions League, didn't down tools before a huge cup semi final leaving our youth coach to take the flak for yet another cup failure, didn't suffer a humiliating loss to Hamilton Academical at Ibrox and didn't fail to win a domestic cup.

As for "our lowest", Gerrard was still playing for Liverpool while we were in the third division. Winning the league was a big enough achievement without you bringing your own brand of fantasy to the situation.

Don't get me wrong, if he wins the league then I'll be as happy as any, but the journey to it will have been forgettable, as you say that's not what matters though.

If he wins the league from 4-0 at Porkheed, 5 points behind it will be very entertaining - off the pitch if not on it.

Ok, for arguments sake lets compare the 2 manager's first 'real' 11 months in charge. Gerrard from August 2019 - March 2020 and Gio from November 2021 to now.

Gerrard had 4 transfer windows in this period but would be really unfair to use his first season as he was totally rebuilding a squad so lets take it from August 2019. Gio has had 2 transfer windows but was walking into a settled squad.

From August 2019 - March 2020 we lost to Celtic at home early doors but went on a great run in the league that accumulated in beating Celtic at their midden and we went joint top (3 points behind but had as game in hand). We lost the league cup final to Celtic in December. By March 2020 though we were 13 points behind Celtic (with 2 games in hand). In the previous month we lost to Hearts twice at Tynecastle, one of these defeats putting us out the Scottish Cup, then lost the following week at Ibrox to Hamilton putting us 13 points behind Celtic after drawing level before the winter break.

So march 2020 we had lost the league cup final, were out the Scottish Cup before the games were being played at Hampden and were 13 points behind celtioc with 2 games in hand.

In Gio's first 11 months we surrendered a 6 point lead at the top losing both Home and Away to Celtic in the process, however we won the Scottish Cup, beating Celtic on the way, and also go to the Europa League Final. This season though we, again, lost to Celtic in a manner Rangers shoudln't but currently sit 2 points off the top and have also qualified for the Champions League for the first time in over a decade.

So, my question is. If we were to compare both manager's first 'Proper' 11 months in charge why is there so much vitriol directed towards Gio, why is this narrative being created that Gerrard was better when in reality in their first real 11 months in charge Gio has not only bettered him but by a fair distance?

Last edited:
We see where we are at the end of the season. I have reservations about him the same as most others but screaming and shouting for a manager to lose his job in October before he's succeeded or failed in his objectives isn't for me.

Ok, for arguments sake lets compare the 2 manager's first 'real' 11 months in charge. Gerrard from August 2019 - March 2020 and Gio from November 2021 to now.

Gerrard had 4 transfer windows in this period but would be really unfair to use his first season as he was totally rebuilding a squad so lets take it from August 2019. Gio has had 2 transfer windows but was walking into a settled squad.

From August 2019 - March 2020 we lost to Celtic at home early doors but went on a great run in the league that accumulated in beating Celtic at their midden and we went joint top (3 points behind but had as game in hand). We lost the league cup final to Celtic in December. By March 2020 though we were 13 points behind Celtic (with 2 games in hand). In the previous month we lost to Hearts twice at Tynecastle, one of these defeats putting us out the Scottish Cup, then lost the following week at Ibrox to Hamilton putting us 13 points behind Celtic after drawing level before the winter break.

So march 2020 we had lost the league cup final, were out the Scottish Cup before the games were being played at Hamilton and were 13 points behind celtioc with 2 games in hand.

In Gio's first 11 months we surrendered a 6 point lead at the top losing both Home and Away to Celtic in the process, however we won the Scottish Cup, beating Celtic on the way, and also go to the Europa League Final. This season though we, again, lost to Celtic in a manner Rangers shoudln't but currently sit 2 points off the top and have also qualified for the Champions League for the first time in over a decade.

So, my question is. If we were to compare both manager's first 'Proper' 11 months in charge why is there so much vitriol directed towards Gio, why is this narrative being created that Gerrard was better when in reality in their first real 11 months in charge Gio has not only bettered him but by a fair distance?
The situations were and are so very different a flat compare doesnt really stand up but I understand much of what youre proposing there.

Gerrard signed a lot more players but then it was needed at that point. Gio's is a trickier position to judge accurately because while he needed new players and got them its debatable how much say he had and whatever that was did he say enough if not getting his way or was he happy to acquiesce to Ross Wilson? Similarly to the retention of players who shouldve been let go and perhaps some that couldve stayed but did go.

All speculative.

We can compare the team performances though and I didnt see the inept showings of Gio's recent run, and from domestically last season, in the Gerrard years. Id certainly excuse any there were a lot sooner from that time since Rangers were in an almighty turnaround phase. The biggest in our History. Gio should be operating from a more stable platform but it sure doesnt feel that way and his ease at explaining away poor showings is a particular concern. I also cannot locate the lessons being learned that hes talking about.

I loved Gio as a player and liked the appointment as Coach. Ive even got him as my Avatar! The last thing I want to see is him struggle and fail but Im seeing it now and while Im happy to give him time to fix it, there doesnt seem to be much if any upside.

Of course we're missing players and at full strength wed be much better.

That much is obvs. As obvs as it is that he should still be getting more more and far better out of what he does have.

Thats the concern and the frustration.

Not that we lost to Liverpool. Not that the CL is really difficult.

That we look ill prepared to give our best because we havent been giving our best in these games for a while.

How is this still going on?

It really is a waste of energy and emotions discussing it.

Yes, he will likely fail - but he has to actually fail first before he’s gone. That judgement will come at the end of the season - regardless of what anyone thinks. Case closed.

Reactions: TN8
The situations were and are so very different a flat compare doesnt really stand up but I understand much of what youre proposing there.

Gerrard signed a lot more players but then it was needed at that point. Gio's is a trickier position to judge accurately because while he needed new players and got them its debatable how much say he had and whatever that was did he say enough if not getting his way or was he happy to acquiesce to Ross Wilson? Similarly to the retention of players who shouldve been let go and perhaps some that couldve stayed but did go.

All speculative.

We can compare the team performances though and I didnt see the inept showings of Gio's recent run, and from domestically last season, in the Gerrard years. Id certainly excuse any there were a lot sooner from that time since Rangers were in an almighty turnaround phase. The biggest in our History. Gio should be operating from a more stable platform but it sure doesnt feel that way and his ease at explaining away poor showings is a particular concern. I also cannot locate the lessons being learned that hes talking about.

I loved Gio as a player and liked the appointment as Coach. Ive even got him as my Avatar! The last thing I want to see is him struggle and fail but Im seeing it now and while Im happy to give him time to fix it, there doesnt seem to be much if any upside.

Of course we're missing players and at full strength wed be much better.

That much is obvs. As obvs as it is that he should still be getting more more and far better out of what he does have.

Thats the concern and the frustration.

Not that we lost to Liverpool. Not that the CL is really difficult.

That we look ill prepared to give our best because we havent been giving our best in these games for a while.

Yeah man but I just dont understand why Gerrard was allowed more time after his first proper year in charge but Gio, who has outperformed him in his first year in charge, isn't?

FF for instance did not have pages and pages and countless threads of people falling over themselves for him to be sacked, even after losing at home to Hamilton and having literally nothing to play for in March.

Its very odd.

Yeah man but I just dont understand why Gerrard was allowed more time after his first proper year in charge but Gio, who has outperformed him in his first year in charge, isn't?

FF for instance did not have pages and pages and countless threads of people falling over themselves for him to be sacked, even after losing at home to Hamilton and having literally nothing to play for in March.

Its very odd.
Hot take - Gerrard did exceptionally well in Europe, 55 was incredible but domestically he shouldve won more trophies.

Hot take - Gio did exceptionally well in Europe but has failed domestically.

Overall my feeling is Gerrard moved Rangers forward as a Team and Club, exponentially so. Gio is overseeing a regression and while its certainly not his doing entirely he is the Coach and the buck will stop with him.

Football is a results based business. It's not GvBs remit to entertain, it's his remit to win games, hopefully win the league and silverware and progress in Europe.

To date he has overseen progression in Europe and won silverware. All that in less than a year. The board will be delighted with him and the progress.

Supporters are free to voice their opinion on the style of play and vote with their feet if they are that unhappy. Until that point GvB is going nowhere - nor should he - he hasn't even had a full season at the club.

We are 2 points behind in the league, qualified for the Champions League and are still in with a shout of the domestic treble - and all that with a terrible injury list.

The fact that Staunch from Renfrew isn't getting 'entertained' won't even be on the Boards radar - nor should it, because its a results based business.

My opinion is these calls for GvB's head are being shaped as due to his style of play, but in reality are because we got beat off Celtic and the media fawning over their 'attacking style' of play - a style which, incidentally, has them a whopping two points ahead in the league - and some vocal supporters just can't handle that.

Hot take - Gerrard did exceptionally well in Europe, 55 was incredible but domestically he shouldve won more trophies.

Hot take - Gio did exceptionally well in Europe but has failed domestically.

Overall my feeling is Gerrard moved Rangers forward as a Team and Club, exponentially so. Gio is overseeing a regression and while its certainly not his doing entirely he is the Coach and the buck will stop with him.

Exactly the same as Gerarrd then in Gerrard's first 11 months?

Gio though has exceeded Gerarrd's European performance by a massive distance but Gerrard got time and Gio doesn't?

Back