Gio, how long do we realistically give him?

Gerrards first 11 months were with a significantly weaker squad, it’s not comparing like with like.

Gio failed domestically with the side who served him so well in Europe. If he takes the credit for making the EL final, then he carry’s the can for the 10 point swing in less than 5 months in the league and the poor showings in Europe this season.

You're missing the context of the discussion. We were comparing August 2019 to March 2020 and November 2019 till now.

Gerrard won 2 games vs them in his first season and we never got humiliated against them under him

Gerrard had a good record against Celtic but in his first 2 seasons as manager he played them 7 times with a record - LWLWLLW.

After those 2 seasons and 5 transfer windows he then had a record of WWDWW.

That's 3 seasons as manager and 7 transfer windows in total. Gio hasn't been in charge for even a year yet.

It was still an utter muck performance against a muck team which he never learned from. The two in midfield drastically failed against them so why did he expect it to work against Liverpool?

As I've said before, the fans played a bigger role than anything in getting us through those ties. Not saying he shouldn't get credit for it, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that our performances at home are a different level compared to away.

The away ties were the first legs. Except for PSV… where we won.

In an effort to diminish Gio, it’s all becoming a bit ‘yahoo blogger’.

Gerrard had a good record against Celtic but in his first 2 seasons as manager he played them 7 times with a record - LWLWLLW.

That's 3 seasons as manager and 7 transfer windows in total. Gio hasn't been in charge for even a year yet.
Gio inherited a far superior squad to Gerrard under Gerrard i felt confident every game it was far from perfect a lot of poor games and a poor domestic cup record but i had far more confidence in him than I have in Gio

People taking about the amount transfer windows gerrard got in relation to GvB is hilarious. Aye, because the situations they inherited are even comparable
I was the Hibs game at Hampden it wasn't a mile off what Gerrard started with if I'm honest

Only because celtic were struggling to win a game early in the season.

We finished the season a far better and consistent side than the Gerrard side of last season.

Let's not rewrite history.

We were 4 clear and fucked it. Must win game at Ibrox against Celtic and we lost. Battered at Parkhead. Stupid draw at Tannadice, the 2-2 at home to Motherwell, 3-3 at Ross County to name a few.

We held a 4 point lead when GvB took over and surrendered that.

We were 4 clear and fucked it. Must win game at Ibrox against Celtic and we lost. Battered at Parkhead. Stupid draw at Tannadice, the 2-2 at home to Motherwell, 3-3 at Ross County to name a few.

We held a 4 point lead when GvB and surrendered that.

That's not a fair or balanced way to look at things.
You're completely ignoring the change in celtic's form.

We were dropping points under Gerrard, but they were even worse and dropping more.

We were also performing very poorly in Europe and not a chance we'd have qualified out of our group.

I really wanted GVB and I really want him to succeed as I loved him as a player ..

However , I have lost all faith in his tactics after 2 absolute embarrassments at porkhead and the complete regression of our team and the belief of several key players , which due to his post match press conference at Ajax and severely defensive tactics i lay squarely at his door , for me - he has to go , and soon before it's too late .

The difference between GVB and SG first 12 months were under SG there was progression with some bumps on the road , our team were playing with passion and intensity and you could see the plan and get on board with it . Under GVB I get the Impression the Europa league run has inflated his ego and convinced himself he is a tactical genius , leading him to be stubborn , his team is boring to watch and there are very few games where I sit back and go " I like what we are doing here " or " we played well today "

I would also raise real questions about his impact on a couple of key assets in the team ; again in my opinion watching and / or attending most games , due to his tactics

1. Ryan kent is a pathetic shadow of the player he was 18 months ago , because he's asked to pick the ball up too deep and / or has to beat 3 men before he can have an impact , compare this with the Tim's wide men who very often ( due to the way they play) find themselves 1-1 with a rb or centre half = they r more effective

2 : Glen Kamara ,arguably our best midfielder in Europe for years has been played in at least 3 different positions and used as the scapegoat in 2 parkhead GVB sh*tshows , the boy looks lost

3. Tillman, it's never ever a good sign when a players starts as well as he did and then suddenly looks crap - imo similar to the above 2 , played out of position and struggles to play at the tempo we reduce him to , players like him need 1 touch combos .. which is all over his YouTube highlights of his time at Bayern

I could go on , but for those reasons - I'm out , bielsa next please .

Agree apart from Dortmund away game where we were fantastic
Have never jumped on the Gio bandwagon and wanted Knutson of Bodo Glint.
Just watching them against Arsenal and they are giving Arsenal a decent game, certainly more so than we did against Liverpool.
Certainly better to watch than Gio’s team,

Most teams are better to watch than Gios team tbf

No disrespect here, well in fact I mean it to be disrespectful, you are an absolute f*ckin idiot.

As a Rangers fan that would have been absolutely insane because he gave us a few of the best nights I have ever experienced at Ibrox.
All that matters are the games against them. Had we not lost the last 3, we could have gone out the EL to Dortmund and lost to PSV last month and we wouldn’t be having these threads.
We’re obviously miles off it in the CL, putting that aside I’m still baffled how we can go toe to toe and win tactical battles against Dortmund, Leipzig, Braga, PSV and wet the bed so spectacularly against septic

It's easy to forget that Gio has an 85% win rate against domestic opposition that aren't Celtic. That's probably as high as any manager we've had, certainly in our lifetimes. He's only played Celtic once at home too.

If we are more than 5 points behind Celtic after the next Old Firm game, alarm bells will start ringing for me, especially as we have a pretty favourable run up to that point. European performances shouldn't dictate whether any Rangers manager loses their job as we're up against teams with bigger budgets than us 90% of the time.

I'm hopeful he'll keep picking up points domestically and we'll go on a real run. We can then look forward to welcoming 4 or 5 key squad players back between now and January, as well as hopefully letting a few non contributors go and getting a couple in.

At the end of the season, if he has a miserable record against Celtic and hasn't won the league, it's probably time for him to go. But Celtic are trending downwards right now and things could change pretty quickly here. It's far too premature to sack him now based on his record so far.

By sheer dumb luck. Celtic got cocky changing half a team at St Mirren.

Performances are a good indicator of your ability to pick up results consistently. I’ve never seen a side win a league who don’t perform well.

Yeah it’s not Gio job to entertain, and you can pick up the odd scrappy win here and there, but performances lead to results, they’re not mutually exclusive long term.
We are two points off the top - therefore performances HAVE led to results. A league campaign is about picking up as many points as you can over a season.

And as for being lucky, well, it's not GvB's fault Celtic got "cocky". His job is to put out a team to win games and take advantage if others drop points - which he did.

This mindset that we are somehow the benefactors of LUCK to be in the title race is a false narrative - and again, one being shaped by the media fawning over "Angeball"- after all, how can anybody compete with such glorious football?

The next Celtic game is huge for him he's not beat them in the league or in 90 minutes
A statement you'll find on the pages of Kerrydale street.

"Aye, but ye haven't beat us in 90 minutes" is on a par with "our defeat to Real Madrid was better than your defeat to Ajax"

GvB put out a team that defeated Celtic. Doesn't matter that it was in 90 minutes or otherwise - or is "Angeball" reserved for the league campaign?

What he does need to do is do it in the league.

Maybe the board will appoint an experienced manager next time, instead of someone such as...

McCoist
McDowall*
McCall*
Warburton
Murty*
Caixinha
Nicholl*
Gerrard
McCallum*
Bronckhorst

* denoting those forced into covering interm periods. As for the rest, not one should have been considered for the job.

Maybe someone tried and tested.

Just a thought... :rolleyes:

We held a 4 point lead when GvB took over and surrendered that.

Which should have been double figures, had we not dropped so many poor points under Gerrard in the opening months of the season.

The filth were shocking at that point, and we should have had the league out of sight by the time they found form and went on a long unbeaten run.

At the end of the day, Gio has had 1 domestic competition that he has started and finished as our manager, and won it, beating the scum on the way. That is fact, and not what if scenarios.

A statement you'll find on the pages of Kerrydale street.

"Aye, but ye haven't beat us in 90 minutes" is on a par with "our defeat to Real Madrid was better than your defeat to Ajax"

GvB put out a team that defeated Celtic. Doesn't matter that it was in 90 minutes or otherwise - or is "Angeball" reserved for the league campaign?

What he does need to do is do it in the league.
But it's true in 5 games he's yet to beat them in 90 minutes which is totally unacceptable

Why does beating them over 90 minutes not count?
It does count it was a great day it's just a statistic a fact he's going to have to beat him them at least twice this season in the league to save his job imo plus avoid another humiliation at their ground no Rangers manager should survive that

Celtic game in January. Must win or goodbye
I always think its the old firm games that define a managers time in the job. I don't think he can let big flange get any more of an upper hand. He simply has to win the next old firm game if not we'll sadly have to start looking for our next manager. Its weird because we have played some great football at times but it's almost as if when we do he wants to put the brakes on and start moving sideways. We were warned that this is his style. Strange- I really thought he would have been a manager who gave us more flair

We were getting pumped out in the qualifiers by Levski Sofia and AEK Athens.

Plus we were spending absolute fortunes in the transfer market too.

Basel Boli and Brian Laudrup were signed and we were pumped twice by a very ordinary AEK side, gubbed by Falkirk at Ibrox in the League Cup and stuffed by celtic in the league, all within a fortnight.

I always think its the old firm games that define a managers time in the job. I don't think he can let big flange get any more of an upper hand. He simply has to win the next old firm game if not we'll sadly have to start looking for our next manager. Its weird because we have played some great football at times but it's almost as if when we do he wants to put the brakes on and start moving sideways. We were warned that this is his style. Strange- I really thought he would have been a manager who gave us more
I always think its the old firm games that define a managers time in the job. I don't think he can let big flange get any more of an upper hand. He simply has to win the next old firm game if not we'll sadly have to start looking for our next manager. Its weird because we have played some great football at times but it's almost as if when we do he wants to put the brakes on and start moving sideways. We were warned that this is his style. Strange- I really thought he would have been a manager who gave us more flair
Agree.

SG had a full rebuild to start, GvB inherited a title winning side. So the fact he's had fewer windows means little.

Football is a results based business. It's not GvBs remit to entertain, it's his remit to win games, hopefully win the league and silverware and progress in Europe.

To date he has overseen progression in Europe and won silverware. All that in less than a year. The board will be delighted with him and the progress.

Supporters are free to voice their opinion on the style of play and vote with their feet if they are that unhappy. Until that point GvB is going nowhere - nor should he - he hasn't even had a full season at the club.

We are 2 points behind in the league, qualified for the Champions League and are still in with a shout of the domestic treble - and all that with a terrible injury list.

The fact that Staunch from Renfrew isn't getting 'entertained' won't even be on the Boards radar - nor should it, because its a results based business.

My opinion is these calls for GvB's head are being shaped as due to his style of play, but in reality are because we got beat off Celtic and the media fawning over their 'attacking style' of play - a style which, incidentally, has them a whopping two points ahead in the league - and some vocal supporters just can't handle that.
Going forwards from what we have seen so for far..
Can you see us winning the majority of old firm games with Gio in charge?

And would you agree these games are essential to winning the title?

I think no to the first question and yes to the latter. Thats why I think we are potentiality wasting our time with Gio and his team

The away ties were the first legs. Except for PSV… where we won.

In an effort to diminish Gio, it’s all becoming a bit ‘yahoo blogger’.
Away ties being first doesn't mean you play utter mince and hope you turn it round at home. It doesn't excuse the liverpool and ajax showings either.

Going forwards from what we have seen so for far..
Can you see us winning the majority of old firm games with Gio in charge?

And would you agree these games are essential to winning the title?

I think no to the first question and yes to the latter. Thats why I think we are potentiality wasting our time with Gio and his team
They are essential, providing you pick up enough points in the other games.

We have two games against them at home, so yes, I can see us winning those two games.

He inherited a team that got pumped 3-1 by a shite Hibs team in a semi final who’d played well in a handful of games all season and was heading into the conference league. He didn’t take over at the end of the 55 season.

We picked up 4 points against Brondby and arrested the slide. The idea that GVB pulled a win out of his arse in the Sparta game, the kind that would have been completely unfeasible under Gerrard, is just nonsense. Lyon was then a dead rubber. "Heading into the Conference League." Lol.

We got pumped 3-1 by Hibs because we had a school teacher in charge and the club was still in shock at what had transpired with Gerrard's leaving.

Last edited:
Mad that we are only 2 points behind them because the general feeling towards him and the team is that the league is basically over.

I still have serious reservations about his style of play and tactics in the SPL but there is no way he is anywhere near the exit door imo.

He does have to keep changing/adapting domestically though or he will be gone, it's not only about the win it's how we achieve it.

It's easy to forget that Gio has an 85% win rate against domestic opposition that aren't Celtic. That's probably as high as any manager we've had, certainly in our lifetimes. He's only played Celtic once at home too.

If we are more than 5 points behind Celtic after the next Old Firm game, alarm bells will start ringing for me, especially as we have a pretty favourable run up to that point. European performances shouldn't dictate whether any Rangers manager loses their job as we're up against teams with bigger budgets than us 90% of the time.

I'm hopeful he'll keep picking up points domestically and we'll go on a real run. We can then look forward to welcoming 4 or 5 key squad players back between now and January, as well as hopefully letting a few non contributors go and getting a couple in.

At the end of the season, if he has a miserable record against Celtic and hasn't won the league, it's probably time for him to go. But Celtic are trending downwards right now and things could change pretty quickly here. It's far too premature to sack him now based on his record so far.
My thoughts exactly, well said

Plus we were spending absolute fortunes in the transfer market too.

Basel Boli and Brian Laudrup were signed and we were pumped twice by a very ordinary AEK side, gubbed by Falkirk at Ibrox in the League Cup and stuffed by celtic in the league, all within a fortnight.
Never happened although if it did it was Gio's fault.

Which should have been double figures, had we not dropped so many poor points under Gerrard in the opening months of the season.

The filth were shocking at that point, and we should have had the league out of sight by the time they found form and went on a long unbeaten run.

At the end of the day, Gio has had 1 domestic competition that he has started and finished as our manager, and won it, beating the scum on the way. That is fact, and not what if scenarios.

He still held a lead.

He had the chance to put Celtic to the sword at Ibrox and failed. We held leads at home to Motherwell and dropped points, we scored 3 at Ross County and never won. Our performance and set up at Tannadice was awful. We went to Pittodrie on the first game after the break and threw James Sands in from the start - another crap performance. Aberdeen were rotten. The 3-0 hiding at Parkhead. Games against Dundee away, Livingston and Aberdeen at home saw wins but the performances were poor, McDiarmid Park away too. We were poor in the league for a lot of matches from January onwards.

We held a lead and had plenty opportunities to stay ahead.

He was under pressure after Celtic and Braga away but at least he turned it around. We've now got a great opportunity to do that again. We build on from last weekend at Tynecastle and the target simply must be 21/21 before the World Cup break.

i’m scratching my head at who would get to replace him. Just hope things improve as/when players return.
Exactly. While I understand the clamour for him to be sacked, some bears are sadly deluded if they think there will be a night and day change with a new manager mid season. Just my thoughts, mind you.
Love the thought of the Bodo Glimt manager coming in but how likely is that, realistically?

Dejan Stankovic named new Sampdoria manager. Big step up in quality for him waits to be seen how good he does there but he would’ve been my preferred replacement.

Mad that we are only 2 points behind them because the general feeling towards him and the team is that the league is basically over.

I still have serious reservations about his style of play and tactics in the SPL but there is no way he is anywhere near the exit door imo.

He does have to keep changing/adapting domestically though or he will be gone, it's not only about the win it's how we achieve it.
Said no one ever to Walter Smith.

I agree with the rest but results trump sexy football. Was it Tony Mowbray who banged on about orgasmic football, whilst in the PL down south, and a pundit remarked his teams play beautiful football, but they will be playing it in the championship next year.

i’m scratching my head at who would get to replace him. Just hope things improve as/when players return.
Remember a list was posted on here manager s out of contract and was encouraged by names
a couple of names mentioned recently sound good
ex leeds manager
last time my choice was Guttuso or Frank de boar

i just don't trust Ross Wilson to pick correct manager if Gio move s on

They are essential, providing you pick up enough points in the other games.

We have two games against them at home, so yes, I can see us winning those two games.
Under Gerrard there was always a good feeling going into the OF game because you know the team would perform.

I dont look forward to OF games under Gio.

Back