Gio is getting me excited

I like how he's changing little bits at a time and making us look more like the side we should be.

Today I loved how Barisic was more central when we were in the final third. He's a real threat from distance and should be encouraged to take up these positions and take a pop. Let's face it our midfielders aren't exactly much of a threat from there.

Also, I think today was one of the first times in a long time that we actually played the ball into the space ahead of the man instead of to feet (or behind :rolleyes:) ALL THE TIME. Did my nut in Gerrards team doing that constantly. It makes such a difference the ball beating a man and getting in between lines rather than the man having to do all the work and allowing them time to reshape.

I'd love to have heard an explanation as to why we needed to play to feet (usually too slowly to boot). It's as if he didn't trust the players and they all became robotic versions of themselves, just taking the easy option.

Me to. I was hoping he would be good but I also had some reservations, so far I am f#cking delighed
Agreed. I knew we were getting a real manager (and not an ex-player coaching) who could potentially get our players firing again, but I did have reservations of if he would be good enough or try to play Eriedivisie football in the SPL, or have many ideas of his own compared to the standard way the Dutch are taught.

But he really seems to know his shit, and be able to approach each opposition with a new tactical setup. All in addition to having what seems to be a corker of a backroom setup too for man management. Quite excited to see what big Dave Vos adds to it.

The players all have defined roles now, especially in attack. Even after 4 games it's evident they're understanding where he wants them to be. It's a big improvement from the first few months of this season, where "just go out and express yourself" became the mantra to fill the void left by a lack of enthusiasm.

Defensively we are night and day. Borna is a defender first/attacker second now, and he's not getting mentally confused trying to decide which one he should be and/or getting caught out.

Wee haircut and everybody is pitching tents. B-D

Anybody notice the shirt suppler have sent out different shirts for Gio from the usual plain pale blue ones that are usually worn with club suits.

What I have noticed is how less animated he is compared to Gerrard usually that would single that he's quiet and a bit of a walkover but that's obviously not the case looks like a calm influence in the changing room from the outside looking in

Gerrard bolting down the road although it never felt like it at the time, worked right in our favour, the whole staff and players were treading water puting in half arsed displays and it was hard to see that being righted under Gerrard.

I like that Gio is very level headed. He is the same in his pre and post match interviews. Never gets over excited but is never too down, is straight to the point, and always seems to be oooking forward.

I’d like to think the only way is up seeing as he has only been in the door a few weeks. Just think where we could be in 6 months. Qualified for the Champions League most likely.

Gio comes across a bit like one of those strict teachers you had at school, but who you actually respected because they were good at their job.

After Gerrard who was a bit too chummy with the players and still thought of himself as ‘one of the lads’ this is probably exactly what we are needing.

We can actually defend again.

As much as i loved seeing Tav and Borna bomb forward it left us too vulnerable at the back.

Defenders defend and attackers do the attacking, simple. And none of this just crossing the ball aimlessly into the box.

We can actually defend again.

As much as i loved seeing Tav and Borna bomb forward it left us too vulnerable at the back.

Defenders defend and attackers do the attacking, simple. And none of this just crossing the ball aimlessly into the box.
I think there’s still an element of the blind crossing with the standard 25yrd balls getting thrown in for the sake of it. Also noticed that quite a few of the balls were dead on the money but there was no one in the middle to take advantage. This is something tsar we will no doubt continue to work on.

Last edited:
I think there’s still an element of the blind crossing with the standard 25yrd balls getting thrown in for the sake of it. Also noticed that quite a few of the balls were dead on the money but there was no one in the middle to take advantage. This is something tsar we will no doubt continue to work on.
We mix it up now which is great to see.

At times the full backs get forward and at times they done. Barisic at times was coming into the midfield at times.

One thing I keep thinking about. We were 4 points ahead and now we’ve upgraded our off field capabilities. That’s a good thing

Still early days but couldn’t have wished for a better start. I had some real fears that some heads had gone after the performance in the cup semi but Gio has come in and turned it around immediately. Hunger and desire is hard to gauge but on the eye test alone, it looks like we’ve raised those levels massively.

Craig Moore and Neil McCann were talking pre match about Advocaats philosophy. I am paraphrasing but will go back and listen again.

They said they worked on a 5-5 principal. 5 players for defence and 5 players for attack. You can see early signs of this though it’s more 4-6 today. With one fb staying further back when the other goes. We really limited them today and hibs on Wednesday to very few chances.

Back