Gio on Morelos

I'm absolutely buzzing I said it in the Match thread great to see the buffalo playing in the box where he should be it was great to see him getting in the box with player's playing behind him instead of him dropping deep to play off him

aye for his right testicle. A fit firing Alfie playing his real role is worth much more. Looks like Gio will get the best of him after Gerrard tried his best to castrate him over a long spell.

Only if he keeps performing to January.

His attitude has been stinking so far this season.

He's out of contract next season and January could be last chance to cash in on him than lose him for nothing.

We want him to play nearer the box rather than dropping back.
wont-he-do-it-hallelujah.gif

Exactly cant see why he drops so far back.
It worked at the beginning of last season, he was dragging defenders deep and we were capitalising on the space in behind. It worked. But teams sussed it out.
He is the most frustrating player I have ever known but let him do what hes good at and hes very effective. Rolling defenders, running channels, creating chances for himself.

I still think we need to get him firing and sell him.

Someone said on here the other day that they would prefer to see the old Alfie playing further up the pitch and tight against their defenders, throwing it about a bit with the aggression he used to play with (albeit that caused him to get a good few red cards in previous seasons) but that style of play bagged him 30 goals a season. I wouldn’t have been bothered in the slightest if he’d been dropped from the squad for tonight after last Sunday’s inept performance but by God I’m glad Gio did what he did tonight. I think you’ll see Alfie enjoy his football again under Gio as he’s never happier than when he’s sliding along the turf on his knees pointing to the ground with both hands after he’s hit the back of the net.

I can see why Gerrard made him drop but gio is spot on let’s see him up the pitch
So can I 0 he's a very clever player , good at bringing others into game, making space etc. Not necessarily the most natural finisher in the world. But he is absolutely a boy who thrives on confidence and he needs to be in and around the box for the tap ins like his second tonight. One of the problems with him dropping deep is if he goes a few games without scoring you can see hes scunnered. He thrives on the team relying on him.

Commented on that earlier, it used to be every other game and he does it so well.

In fairness tonight he would lose it with his next touch but if it’s a sign that the old Alfie might be coming back then bring it on.

Yes, he still needs to improve his fitness, but he won us so many free kicks & throw ins just by using his physicality tonight.

His first goal was quality. Made it look easier than it was.

Was coached into him. Hopefully Gio coaches it right out of him, back to 20+ goals a season under Gio.
I agree - and even better if Gio and his crew can get Morelos to shed a few pounds (and I say that not as a knock, because I'm a big fan of the buffalo). I'm hoping that, in a few weeks, we'll see Morelos rag-dolling center backs for fun, like he used to.

I'll be honest as this is my first comment at all on gio, but I have this fear it won't work. That said, it'd be the same with any manager.

I'm also of an opinion, I don't think our last gaffer is going to be a good manager in the long run. He'll give villa a boost but will be out thought and too stubborn to change his way, his ego will prevent it.

Why won't he be a good manager? His options blunted our best player, it's affected the player and the team. That was much more like our Alfredo. He isn't fat, or lazy or disinterested. He was used completely wrong to fit with the egos system. Maybe that was the problem.

Brilliant Gio and Alfredo.
Not to mention Hagi who told him when we signed him that ten was his best position and playing aribo back in midfield when everyone agrees he’s better forward and also an argument for Kamara who plays the position further forward with Finland and actually scored goals!

I think it was aimed at replicating the tactics Liverpool use. Firmino drops deep to link play there exceptionally well.
To be fair it actually worked for a good while as it caught teams out at the beginning as centre backs were pulled out of position allowing our midfield, other forwards and Tav to score a barrel load but like everything it was eventually sussed so I can’t understand why gerrard didn’t ask Alfie to go back to his original role again……I think in gerrards head the Liverpool way is the only way and that’s why he was so inflexible!

It may be significant that Gio can speak Spanish and communicate much more clearly with Morelos.

We often overlook it and think solely about a players ability but it must be tough to train and play when you don’t speak the language of the Manager and he’s trying to give you instructions or advice

Was good to see Davis at the end saying to Alfie that he should be happy he got 2 goals tonight but Morelos shook his head B-D. He has the hunger and hopefully with this system can stay upfront and involved where he should be

I think it was aimed at replicating the tactics Liverpool use. Firmino drops deep to link play there exceptionally well.

Morelos isn’t Firminho and he doesn’t have Salah and Mane either side of him.

Thankfully Giovanni van Bronckhorst won’t try and replicate the side he supports and will use his players to their strengths.

Much better from Morelos last night.

Alfie is back!

What a difference having a Manager who plays to a players strength rather than letting his ego take control and try and convert players into something that doesn't suit them, then persisting with it.

That's exactly the Alfie we all love, and once he gets that sharpness back and gets back into peak condition he's going to have a stormer of a season, you could see the difference in his desire tonight, that's all we ask.

Reactions: SDR
Agree Cromwell.

Tav also likes to make runs centrally & get on the end of crosses. He’s also played midfield for us a few times before & did well.
Absolutely Grigo. Tav is very skilful and I think with the security of someone behind him it gives him more licence to go forward.

He could become even more effective with assists and goals, as you say, with his energy, he gets all over the park at the moment. It’s worth experimenting with.

The first 'bum roll' leaving the defender for dead in first few minutes, hadn't seen him do that in forever.

Knew he was back right after that.

Absolutely Grigo. Tav is very skilful and I think with the security of someone behind him it gives him more licence to go forward.

He could become even more effective with assists and goals, as you say, with his energy, he gets all over the park at the moment. It’s worth experimenting with.

I would definitely try it mate.

We want him to play nearer the box rather than dropping back.

Music to my ears last night when Gio said that. About bloody time. Alfredo was more like the old Alfredo we love last night. Actually put a shift in for the first time in months, chased the ball rather than meandered towards it, bullied defenders with his physicality and looked like he wanted to score. No more coming too deep to collect the ball, then misplace a pass into the stands or be 20 yards too far back when the ball comes into the box. Alfredo is a striker who needs to lead the line, play on the shoulders of defenders and noise them up. He’s not a playmaker, he’s not a midfielder.

I’m delighted Gio (and no doubt Roy Mackaay) have recognised this early on. We might get our old Alfie back which is critical both on the pitch and off it as it may help rebuild his transfer value for when he eventually and inevitably moves on.

We were talking about this last night, and whether Alfie’s recent form and attitude was down to having to play deep. It was almost like SG was trying to get him to play like Rooney did alongside Tevez and Ronaldo for Man Utd

I didn’t like his petulant waving at the dug out when Sparta had a free kick in the first half and we were out numbered with our marking.

Morelos had a point of course given we were not in the right shape to defend that set piece but it was clear he was screaming at the bench and it might have been taken as disrespectful. His ire should have been directed at his colleagues on the pitch.

He looked more like his old self, using his strength and his backside to turn defenders. He still has some of the previous Alfie in him, dropping deep a couple of times but already a difference. Glad he got 2 goals last night. Hopefully lots more to come.

Latest posts

Back