Gio speech at Jimmy Bell's funeral

SilvioBerlusconi

Anyone know what he said? Maybe inappropriate to ask as it was a private funeral but Ian Durrant alluded to it a few times today during the commentary as being incredibly inspiring and emotional and he had no doubts we wouldn't lose today such was the impressiveness of Gio.

Incredible to think he wasn't our manager 8 or 9 months ago and he is inspiring not just our team but legends before him 48 hours after a European final loss. He carries himself incredibly well even with English as his second language.

I think we have a incredible Rangers manager and man on our hands. We should enjoy it whilst it lasts.

Anyone know what he said? Maybe inappropriate to ask as it was a private funeral but Ian Durrant alluded to it a few times today during the commentary as being incredibly inspiring and emotional and he had no doubts we wouldn't lose today such was the impressiveness of Gio.

Incredible to think he wasn't our manager 8 or 9 months ago and he is inspiring not just our team but legends before him 48 hours after a European final loss. He carries himself incredibly well even with English as his second language.

I think we have a incredible Rangers manager and man on our hands. We should enjoy it whilst it lasts.
I remember when the rumours of Gio surfaced, reading comments from Feyenord fans, and their opinions were that Gio is a fantastic motivator and very good at man-management.

True, but Gio was a young guy in a new country, when he signed. No doubt Jimmy looked after him like he did for all the players. If you see the day Gio came back, he gave Jimmy a massive hug, and had an arm round him as they left the locker room.

When you read the tributes to Jimmy a lot of young players thanked him for being there for them. He definitely looked after them.

Last edited:
True, but Gio was a young guy in a new country, when he signed. No doubt Jimmy looked after him like he did for all the players. If you see the day Gio came back, he gave Jimmy a massive hug, and had an arm round him as they left the locker room.

I remember Neil McCann telling a story how Jimmy saved him and Billy Dodds a minimum two week fine and even possibly worse under Advocaat's tenure.

Gio knows what being a Rangers manager is all about. He arrived with Numan back in 2000 and gave us probably the most gifted Rangers team ever. I still remember beating Graz 5-0 at Ibrox and monaco 0-1 full of fantastic players. At the time we had a fantastic team and on paper I thought nobody was stopping us.
I can still recall GVB last game I think it was Dundee Utd at Ibrox during the week. There was difference amongst supporters about him leaving for Arsenal. He was a fantastic player who went on to achieve more in his career. The fact he is back as manager with his family is truelly something . He knows the club inside out, he knows the people, he knows the fans expectations and he is a winner.

I always thought it would be very difficult to replace the character and determination that Gerrard brought to the club.

We seem to have a really strong leader in GVB, he has conducted himself superbly over the last few weeks and has gelled the team together when it looked like our season would collapse
I've been a sceptic but his euro tactics and rallying the team in the SC and running over the top of celtic after 120 mins in Braga and doing the same to Hearts and looking like we would run over Frankfurt if we had another 10 mins have been superb.

German forums and Twitter saying we nullified their threats and they had to thank their goalie is all about Gio. Keep key players like lundstram,Tav, Kent, Aribo and Bassey for another year bring on couple of youngsters, sell, borrow and buy cleverly and this club is going places. Very confident we can maintain and improve our standards under Gio. Europe is our destiny.

When you read the tributes to Jimmy a lot of young players thanked him for being there for them. He definitely looked after them.
I remember Gio on a Champions League show on itv with Terry Venables, and he was asked about his time at Rangers, and Gio said “the club was very warm” and Venables interrupted “ Warm? Warm? Up there?” And straight away Gio laughed and said “the people, the people at the club were very warm. Great people.”

Very proud of our manager. Both on and off the pitch, he is proving he has the potential to be a truly great Rangers manager.

I think with the proper backing from the board he is going to build a very special Rangers team. He has a calmness and decency and dignity about him that the likes of Mr Smith and Mr Struth would appreciate.

I'll never forget the look on Diallo's face when the players paid tribute and laid the wreaths for Jimmy. He was broken up in genuine tears. That's a young boy who's only just got here and only supposed to be here for 6 months. Similar with Bassey's tribute posts. Jimmy probably made a similar impression on Gio when he arrived as a young player.

I'll never forget the look on Diallo's face when the players paid tribute and laid the wreaths for Jimmy. He was broken up in genuine tears. That's a young boy who's only just got here and only supposed to be here for 6 months.
Apparently the manager was brilliant, funny and sincerely emotional with his speech at Jimmy’s funeral. He joked about introducing himself to Jimmy after gio has just played in a World Cup Final.
He said Hi Jimmy I’m Geo and he said Jimmy just looked at him for a few seconds then told him something but Gio said he didn’t understand a word of it!

he also said that Sean Connery came into the dressing room before a game at Tannadice and said hi to Jimmy, Jimmy paused again and said we also getbeat when you come, yer a jinx.
the manager went to try and speak about Jimmy and how much he meant to him but he got very emotional .

As I said apparently he was brilliant and so was Big Andy Smillie…..

got all this third hand but from a good source.

Gio knows what being a Rangers manager is all about. He arrived with Numan back in 2000 and gave us probably the most gifted Rangers team ever. I still remember beating Graz 5-0 at Ibrox and monaco 0-1 full of fantastic players. At the time we had a fantastic team and on paper I thought nobody was stopping us.
I can still recall GVB last game I think it was Dundee Utd at Ibrox during the week. There was difference amongst supporters about him leaving for Arsenal. He was a fantastic player who went on to achieve more in his career. The fact he is back as manager with his family is truelly something . He knows the club inside out, he knows the people, he knows the fans expectations and he is a winner.
Advocaat and his Dutch revolution was started in 1998 bud. That’s when Numan and GvB signed.

Yeah I’m sure 2 of the criticisms were that he doesn’t give youth a chance and that tactically he is very stubborn.

So far at Rangers, neither of those have been true.
We should also remember that it was his first managerial job.
Managers can learn and develop just like players can. Maybe he’s realised that was a weakness and is trying to address it in this job.

Gio won Feyenoord the league after 20 years so their fans can fùck up.

He had no right to win the league there when you consider who he was up against and Feyenoord were never going to maintain that high standard for long.

Same with some of our fans when it comes to Gio. Only 24 hours ago people were suggesting he should go if we didn't win the cup.

As Rangers fans we of all people should know there are elements who demand the world from the personnel of the club when it really isn't possible.

Not for me!
He seems to ramble on a lot about the past!
I like Tom's knowledge but I think he is a bit thick on the old jokes and references that just don't seem too relevant. Not doubting his love or knowledge but needs a refresh.

Not convinced with Durrant at all. I don't think he adds anything you don't already know. And the overuse of the word 'now' gets a bit irritating.

Rant over (now) ;)

Same with some of our fans when it comes to Gio. Only 24 hours ago people were suggesting he should go if we didn't win the cup.

As Rangers fans we of all people should know there are elements who demand the world from the personnel of the club when it really isn't possible.
What fans were suggesting this? None that I know that’s for sure. Mental.

I like Tom's knowledge but I think he is a bit thick on the old jokes and references that just don't seem too relevant. Not doubting his love or knowledge but needs a refresh.

Not convinced with Durrant at all. I don't think he adds anything you don't already know. And the overuse of the word 'now' gets a bit irritating.

Rant over (now) ;)
The now thing with Durrant has been noticed for a few years now. It’s like people who live in Oz and then return home saying “eh” at the end of their sentence, it just becomes a habit, eh.

Back