Gio, the board and the summer

Because of the guys leaving and potential lack of investment, it utterly terrifies me. I don't trust our board to spend.
They won’t spend. Look it’s not a money pit..you can speculate to accumulate etc but unless we sell two for decent money we won’t be spending big.

It cannot be done in Scotland. Otherwise they would of backed gerrard before malmo.
It’s not gonna happen this summer either.

I will be glad to see the back of Goldson after this season, he has clearly signed with WBA a while ago..which I think is embarrassing, but he wants to move back to the midlands where he is from.

Goldson, Mcgregor.
Other than that I wouldnt move anyone else on tbh. Would still keep davis.

We go into the 3rd qualifying rounds if we win that game do we need to play another round or do we go straight in.

We need to qualify for the cl before any spending will be done
Deja vu from this summer and we got papped out by Malmo

I honestly think we need an overhaul at board level and managers position needs reviewed but I can also accept he’s bought himself next season with the euro run. If he loses against Hearts though I think people will turn

For those saying we don't need anymore experiments. Every player we sign is an experiment, it's the market we're shopping in.
Look at the core of our team. Our captain was an unfancied player with his career dwindling away in the English lower leagues, Goldson had just returned to the game after heart surgery, Aribo from the English lower leagues, Morelos plucked from obscurity in Finland, Kamara 50k from another Scottish side.

However, this summer needs to see us actually be forward thinking. No more vanity loans like Ramsey. Some evidence of joined up thinking regarding contracts and player transfers and as much as it might lead to some players leaving before we're ready to see the back of them I think we need an almost blanket policy that any player not committing to a new deal with 12 months left will be sold.

If that’s the case again, it’s frankly ridiculous. A pile of extra unbudgeted money from the EL run, plus Patterson sale and Gerrard compensation. We need to rebuild and improve this team.

I'll be shocked if most of those players don't see this as a natural stopping point.

They've done everything and more they could in a Rangers shirt.

Tbh with Kent, Aribo and Kamara I feel its time to move on. All 3 are great on their day but we've started to see diminishing returns on them in the league.

Try and get our monies worth and hopefully properly reinvest it in the team.
Was speaking to my mate about this yesterday and those would be my first three to try to cash in all. All three are too inconsistent.

If that’s the case again, it’s frankly ridiculous. A pile of extra unbudgeted money from the EL run, plus Patterson sale and Gerrard compensation. We need to rebuild and improve this team.
We're looking at turning a massive profit this season and then there's the likely hood of a big sale or two come the summer to add to the pot GVB will get backed

Gio has got the foundations of a great team with Tavernier, Bassey, Lundstram, Jack, Aribo, Morelos, etc.

Tactically he’s been outstanding in Europe and needs to be backed in the summer. Next season could be even better with his own players upgrading in some of our weak areas.

The board have to back the manager now with funds. We have made good money in this european run this season and with the sale of Patterson there has to be money there. With some of the shite we are being linked with im concerned.
We have to move to the next level now and start bringing through our youth players and also signing genuine decent players with the drive and belief that we need.

I love the likes of Kent, Aribo and Morelos but if they dont sign new deals we have to cash in. Kamara needs to go he has been rank this season but we will be lucky to get a decent fee for him.

The likes of McGregor, Balogun, Davis and Goldson will all go so that should free up a decent amount of wages to bring in some good quality bosman signings.

I get people wont like this but we need to be sensible this summer no daft Diallo signings etc we need players that will fit what Gio needs and play for the team and the badge.

We've got a tremendous group of young players coming through, we need to look at them before spending millions on players who we don't know. Would Lowry have been a worse option than some of the guys who played tonight?
That is one big positive , we should be using them instead of bringing in squad fillers.

Big problem we have is we could be looking at 5 or 6 key players all leaving, they need to be replaced with quality

GVB needs to be given a chance to build his own team now, he has shown in Europe that he is very good tactically and I’ve been impressed with how he has gelled the team together in recent weeks after some poor results.

I expect a number of players like Aribo, Kent and Goldson will see this as the time to move on. We need to move players on quickly and strengthen ahead of the qualifiers
If we lose on Saturday he may not get anything,he may be gone.

Gio has got the foundations of a great team with Tavernier, Bassey, Lundstram, Jack, Aribo, Morelos, etc.

Tactically he’s been outstanding in Europe and needs to be backed in the summer. Next season could be even better with his own players upgrading in some of our weak areas.

Jack hasn't been able to be regularly fit for years now.

He can't be considered the foundation of anything.

Jack hasn't been able to be regularly fit for years now.

He can't be considered the foundation of anything.

We have far too many players in a similar situation.

Jack is a brilliant footballer no question but can’t be relied upon so it’s no use

Helander Roofe and Ramsay (all be it loan) are the same

We need to spend to have any chance of qualifying. We tried that approach this season and failed to qualify.

We can’t underestimate the level of investment required now. So many key players leaving, others likely to leave too.

Now before anyone thinks this is a knee jerk thread after tonight, it’s far from that. Since his arrival, Gio has had a fairly mixed bag I think it’s fair to say, however by getting us as far as he did and to take us so close shows he has something about him. He’s tactically switched on, flexible and more impressively for me, took a team of someone else’s players to another level and into a European Final. The summer is an absolute certainty to be one of complete overhaul so the baton is now passed to the board. We will sell, most likely Kamara, Aribo, possible Morelos and Kent as well as losing the likes of Goldson, McGregor and Davis from the wage will. With Robertson telling SSN the other day that the euro run has earned us slightly more than the CL group stages and add in a minimum of £20m from sales, they quite simply have to back Gio. He’s not been perfect domestically, but after the euro run he’s absolutely earned the right to be backed and backed properly at that. Failure to do so will simply see us fall back into the managerial merry to round
You're bang on mate,the board have to back him,player sales etc,to the tune of 20 million,3 to 4 players that are proven.

We will need to back the manger not only for the champions league.but also towing the league back
Simple mate,recruitment is key,and we will have to pony up,aribo is a 20 mill player if there's a buyer,alfi is a yoyo,20 mill one season 10 the next,the boy lowery has me exited.

We made more than a CL group stage this year. We sold Patterson for £12m upfront. We’ve spent fuckall.

Aribo will go for £8m and potentially a few others.

If we don’t seriously invest Robertson needs chased as I’ve no idea what the %^*& he is doing

We made more than a CL group stage this year. We sold Patterson for £12m upfront. We’ve spent fuckall.

Aribo will go for £8m and potentially a few others.

If we don’t seriously invest Robertson needs chased as I’ve no idea what the %^*& he is doing
8 mill aribo???no mate.

Now before anyone thinks this is a knee jerk thread after tonight, it’s far from that. Since his arrival, Gio has had a fairly mixed bag I think it’s fair to say, however by getting us as far as he did and to take us so close shows he has something about him. He’s tactically switched on, flexible and more impressively for me, took a team of someone else’s players to another level and into a European Final. The summer is an absolute certainty to be one of complete overhaul so the baton is now passed to the board. We will sell, most likely Kamara, Aribo, possible Morelos and Kent as well as losing the likes of Goldson, McGregor and Davis from the wage will. With Robertson telling SSN the other day that the euro run has earned us slightly more than the CL group stages and add in a minimum of £20m from sales, they quite simply have to back Gio. He’s not been perfect domestically, but after the euro run he’s absolutely earned the right to be backed and backed properly at that. Failure to do so will simply see us fall back into the managerial merry to round

Gio has been here 6 months and has got us to 2 finals, the points we dropped were mostly early in his reign, he's not even been able to put his stamp on the team properly yet.

he's also did this with injury issues in attack. I think he's getting a hard time on here

Gio has been here 6 months and has got us to 2 finals, the points we dropped were mostly early in his reign, he's not even been able to put his stamp on the team properly yet.

he's also did this with injury issues in attack. I think he's getting a hard time on here
Not went through thread,hope he isn't,we lost to a penalty,I am raw,but proud.we have a final on sat.geo needs backed,big time,give him at least 20 million.

Mate I don’t disagree with any of this, I think it’s absolutely imperative he gets a really decent budget.

Mate I don’t disagree with any of this, I think it’s absolutely imperative he gets a really decent budget.
I think he needs that chance to bring 4/5 of his players in. his feyenoord team were far more attacking than what he's shown here, I felt he adapted to the players here, I think we will see a few more technical players come in.

I think he needs that chance to bring 4/5 of his players in. his feyenoord team were far more attacking than what he's shown here, I felt he adapted to the players here, I think we will see a few more technical players come in.
Like any job,I got job as tool hire manager,still dealing with historic shit fae 2 years ago.every day at a time.

i still wonder what calibre of player folk think we can afford to sign will want to play in scotland

For those saying we don't need anymore experiments. Every player we sign is an experiment, it's the market we're shopping in.
Look at the core of our team. Our captain was an unfancied player with his career dwindling away in the English lower leagues, Goldson had just returned to the game after heart surgery, Aribo from the English lower leagues, Morelos plucked from obscurity in Finland, Kamara 50k from another Scottish side.

However, this summer needs to see us actually be forward thinking. No more vanity loans like Ramsey. Some evidence of joined up thinking regarding contracts and player transfers and as much as it might lead to some players leaving before we're ready to see the back of them I think we need an almost blanket policy that any player not committing to a new deal with 12 months left will be sold.
You make a good point, we had a run of these clever, low cost signings but that seems to have dried up.

We also signed some duds the same way.

So we just keep them? We have not been good this season irrelevant of the Europa League final. We have got to rebuild the team with good players and to do that we need to free up wages etc
Really? We have been great at moments this season! When you consider we looked stale at the start of the season and then lost our manager I think this has been a hugely successful season! And last night I will remember for the rest of my life - we held our own against a team that has beat Barca!

The only deadwood I would say are Simpson and Itten. Everyone else has served their purpose and helped us to get where we have.

Despite what some have said, this summer won’t be a complete overhaul! Already Arfield has been re-signed and according to some Davis and McGregor are in contract discussions. Goldson will be a huge huge loss but I can’t see us selling all our other valuable assets. One or two will be sold for big money, one or two will be bought in for money. Then we’ll sign a few out of contract players or promising youngsters. Get the right mix of keeping a successful squad with introducing new blood to keep it fresh.

The board and manager are not stupid - they know we need to hit the ground running in the summer and you can’t do that by tearing up a team and starting again. Even Lundstram took 6 months to settle in.

Now europe is over I think we’ll be back to offering new contracts to those coming to the end of theirs.

Back