Gio's Got Some Balls

Maida Vale Bear

Official Ticketer
Tonight is a must win game and very high pressure against a team who are hard to beat. He plays Sands and Lowry, Sakala and Itten. I'm not criticising Gerrard but he'd not have done that, yet tonight we have the 3 points, Lowry must be on cloud 9, Sakala is starting to showcase his talents, Sands has had his Scottish Baptism and faired well and Ced the Ted is............well, he's getting a shout.

Couple that with Kemar, Lord Arfield and Jack getting minutes.

I love what Gio is trying to do.

Tonight is a must win game and very high pressure against a team who are hard to beat. He plays Sands and Lowry, Sakala and Itten. I'm not criticising Gerrard but he'd not have done that, yet tonight we have the 3 points, Lowry must be on cloud 9, Sakala is starting to showcase his talents, Sands has had his Scottish Baptism and faired well and Ced the Ted is............well, he's getting a shout.

This place would have been calling for his head if we'd dropped points :)

A lot of positives tonight and some brave management I think.
Lowry is going to be special. Sakala is going to be a good signing, as is Sands for me. Jack and Roofe got a run out, both looked good. We won.
Low points were the performances of Wright & Itten, but neither have had much football. You could see their confidence drain as the crowd got on their back. With a bit more luck, we'd have been 2 or 3 up and coasting.

Remember someone said Gio wouldn't play youth? Look how that worked out.

3 points in the bag. Well done Rangers.

He is definitely a bold manager. I expect him to go to the paedodome with a very attacking line up and with a game plan to attack them very quickly on the counter attack.

Even against Stirling when Hagi went down injured it was very early in the game and he could have played it safe and brought on Wright but threw Lowry in there.

We’ve got a good starting 11 but beyond that the players we have always seem disjointed when too many of them get their chance together. Middle to front we were missing creativity and spark. Sands to me should be used to shut up shop, not started to defend a lead we’ve still to gain.

Starting the game with Lowry, Sands and Kamara as our midfield was certainly a huge leap of faith that they could produce the goods.
Almost everyone I spoke to at the game reckoned we should have had either Arfield or Lundstram in there to give us a bit of dig.
As it happened, we got the three points eventually but it certainly wasn't good for the blood pressure!

He is definitely a bold manager. I expect him to go to the paedodome with a very attacking line up and with a game plan to attack them very quickly on the counter attack.

Even against Stirling when Hagi went down injured it was very early in the game and he could have played it safe and brought on Wright but threw Lowry in there.
Can I askwhy ?, he hasn’t done it in the last two league games.

This place would have been calling for his head if we'd dropped points :)

A lot of positives tonight and some brave management I think.
Lowry is going to be special. Sakala is going to be a good signing, as is Sands for me. Jack and Roofe got a run out, both looked good. We won.
Low points were the performances of Wright & Itten, but neither have had much football. You could see their confidence drain as the crowd got on their back. With a bit more luck, we'd have been 2 or 3 up and coasting.
It’s the Dutch way

Barry Ferguson and Lowry are showing extremely similar paths

Dutch manager - could have went with experience instead went with what he sees is a better player

You’re easy pleased

Starting the game with Lowry, Sands and Kamara as our midfield was certainly a huge leap of faith that they could produce the goods.
Almost everyone I spoke to at the game reckoned we should have had either Arfield or Lundstram in there to give us a bit of dig.
As it happened, we got the three points eventually but it certainly wasn't good for the blood pressure!
A fair assessment.

Good to see him take chances and great when it works. He would have been crucified if it hadn’t worked.

Turd polishing of the highest order.

Give Gio credit though, he was limited in what he could put out there.

I still think we need an alternative formation. If we don’t have two wingers, why not look at a 3-5-2 and let Barisic and Tav push forward? It’s absolutely no more defensive then two sitting midfielders in a 4-2-3-1.

Turd polishing is better left to the manky mob.

What worries me about the last 2 games is that the opposition have shown more desire to compete, battle and fight for the win

We have been lethargic, timid and devoid of ideas. The game management against the sheep in particular was terrible.

Playing a piss poor team and allowing them to dictate the flow of the game (I know they had 12 men with cunto Clancy) but we should at the very least match their commitment. That needs to be sorted quickly.

Tonight was heart attack material, but with every passing minute, I can't fault any of the players.

Effort levels were fantastic & yes that's a minimum...normally in games like this there are 3 or 4 well off it

Wright's head went down but could easily have given us the lead but for a last ditch clearance.

I think either what Gio had planned tactically didn't work, particularly in the 1st half, or we are simply going to be much more cautious even if it isn't easy on the eye.

If we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight just after half time

I don’t think so. Weren’t great by any stretch but felt the goal was coming. Considering the players we had missing it was a good win and we were creating opportunities to score more then the one we did.
We really should’ve been ahead at half time maybe not clear cut chances but good half chances. I think pish is ott we were always in control it was a matter of keeping calm until the goal came which it thankfully did. On saying that it’s not good for the auld ticker

It’s the Dutch way

Dutch manager - could have went with experience instead went with what he sees is a better player

Yep, the Dutch are definitely not scared to blood the kids.
We should be in good hands with the current management team. Hopefully we've another 2 or 3 ready to break thru with King and Lowry. Brilliant to see the kids come thru.

We really should’ve been ahead at half time maybe not clear cut chances but good half chances. I think pish is ott we were always in control it was a matter of keeping calm until the goal came which it thankfully did. On saying that it’s not good for the auld ticker
Yeah no doubt it was getting nervy but said to the boy in front if we had a bit more luck we could have been well in front. How many balls across the face of goal with no one ready with a tap in?

Aw man I’ve got a pacemaker it’ll be needing new batteries now.

If we had taken our chances we would have been out of sight just after half time
True!
All I'm saying is that on paper (and I know the game isn't played on paper) our midfield looked a bit lightweight and two out of three of them had less than a handful of games for us.
That's risky!

Do you sit in the SJ rear because you sound like the guy behind me who moans all through the game.We won the game,young Lowry was excellent Fashion too,Big Bassey great and Arfield scores a superb goal.We have played better but we're far from pish.
As we were against the sheep, middle to front was awful and we were a shambles in the box.

Watched it back. We were better than I thought we were at the game. Created enough to make it comfortable if we had taken our chances, had a bit of luck or a sharper striker.

Why we sat off the Livingston backline for much of the game is beyond me. Only when we started to press them half way through the second half did we start to threaten more. Thought their no. 33 looked energetic and broke down many attacks, in fact out-Kamara’d Kamara tonight. Worth keeping an eye on.

It’s the Dutch way

I think Barry was a bit older when Dick made him a first-team regular.

Why we sat off the Livingston backline for much of the game is beyond me. Only when we started to press them half way through the second half did we start to threaten more. Thought their no. 33 looked energetic and broke down many attacks, in fact out-Kamara’d Kamara tonight. Worth keeping an eye on.
He looks like a decent player. Bailey?

You seem far to positive after a 1-0 win!

I enjoyed tonight’s match less so the travel to and from the ground in the howling pissing cold winds which I think people should consider as a part of the challenge tonight which we very deservedly succeeded in and gained a sweet three points via a touch of panache . Not the only panache on show either some nice moments by certain players too .

always be thankful for what you got Bears you just never know when it could be gone

Last edited:
Back