Gio's tactics

I think it's fair and indeed right to criticize the performance tonight. We were poor there is no argument.

However it is the first time that we have dropped points in the league under the new manager. And as I tried to explain, there were circumstances outwith the managers control ( players not available, referee, and an opposition who were quite happy to cheat knowing that the referee would break up play )

The game against them will take care of itself as these games always do. I Saw most of the game last night also, and I wasn't that impressed to be honest. They have one half of football in them, and that is the same as it's been all season.

Look at how poor we were at home to Dundee United, look at how poor we were today, and even against Hibs we were lucky to take the 3 points.

I think it's fair to say the dropped points were coming honestly, so it's not an overreaction to question why today looked like it did. With 3 weeks working with the team in training you'd expect to see more of an identity to the performance at least, but it was just very poor.

We've been standing off teams away from home under Gio, not controlling the match, and relying on firing long balls over the top and into the channels. I'm far from convinced that this is the way we should be approaching these games, and if more games continue to look how they did today we will drop many more points.

Because we have four of our starting midfielders unavailable and we maybe didn’t have any other choice?
We then chose to play the 2 recognised Centre Mids we did have available directly in front of our centre backs
That's the exact point I'm making
We decided to have no central midfield at all
Why when you already have 4 starting midfielders (as you say) missing did we then chose not to play a single available midfielder in central midfield

Look at how poor we were at home to Dundee United, look at how poor we were today, and even against Hibs we were lucky to take the 3 points.

I think it's fair to say the dropped points were coming honestly, so it's not an overreaction to question why today looked like it did. With 3 weeks working with the team in training you'd expect to see more of an identity to the performance at least, but it was just very poor.

We've been standing off teams away from home under Gio, not controlling the match, and relying on firing long balls over the top and into the channels. I'm far from convinced that this is the way we should be approaching these games, and if more games continue to look how they did today we will drop many more points.
We have a new manager his ideas are different to the previous manager. I feel the players have so far bought into the new managers ideas.

Of course you are correct we have not totally controlled every game we have played. but we look a lot better organised now than under Gerrard in the early part of this season. IMO.

Time will tell, and in the long term you and others may be correct and he is not the manager for us. I really hope you are wrong though :)

3 weeks training with the team and his only tactic is to sit off teams and fire balls up the channels for Kent and Wright? How can he have us playing like that.

Barely in the game at all today.
I was concerned we would be flat as we always are after a lay off. I hoped under Gio it may have been different. It wasn't. It was every bit as flat and lethargic. Sitting off a shit team like Aberdeen and trying to catch them on the break. Wtf

Tend to agree with you that they tend to start games extremely fast and take the game right to the opponent, something that we struggle with.

Given Hearts and Aberdeen done it with a lower quality of player and probably should have both scored in games against us in the first 5/10 mins, we would be punished against Celtic if it was the same.
It wasn't meant as a positive for them ( I don't think their manager has a clue how to manage a game for 90 minutes is what I meant )

I'm pretty sure that over that over the 90 minutes we will take care of them easily :)

I didn't think Sands should have been flung in straight away.... I know there were worse but surely there was someone else who knows what it's like when going to Pitodrie

I think Lundstram was brought on to try and retain the ball a bit more, the assumption that it was to sit further back is wrong in my opinion.
Look at the distance between our midfield and our forward line though we dropped back and surrendered possession far to easily the fact that Aberdeen had more of the ball than us is ridiculous and quite daming it was a defensive minded change that limited our pace in the wide areas it was an even more baffling decision to take Hagi off for Sakala when chasing the game instead of a defensive mid

some people really expect us to play silky football every single game.

one misplaced pass and I bet they are raging instantly and for the rest of the game.
We were dominated for ninety minutes by Aberdeen and had Scott brown laughing at us.

Is this something you find enjoyable? I’m pretty sure everyone on this board wasn’t happy today. They were the better team and we looked lost. It’s quite worrying seeing the team play like that.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

We are a much better team playing aggressively and on the front foot.

Okay, might have to pick your games, or moments in games when to press, but this passive style, conceding 60 yards of the pitch to mediocre opposition just asks for trouble.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

We are a much better team playing aggressively and on the front foot.

Okay, might have to pick your games, or moments in games when to press, but this passive style, conceding 60 yards of the pitch to mediocre opposition just asks for trouble.

Got to wonder if it's actually possible for us to dominate an away game with this formation. We keep Wright and Kent out so wide and push our third midfielder forward, it leaves the 2 in there exposed and overrun at times.

Got to wonder if it's actually possible for us to dominate an away game with this formation. We keep Wright and Kent out so wide and push our third midfielder forward, it leaves the 2 in there exposed and overrun at times.
Whether it's the formation, certain players unavailable or those selected just not turning up, I'm not sure.

What is for sure in battles like last night we can't afford for 3/4/5 outfield players to be posted missing for most of the game.

That we didn't put any sort of pressure on McCrorie, and particularly Bates, is just criminal.

We were dominated for ninety minutes by Aberdeen and had Scott brown laughing at us.

Is this something you find enjoyable? I’m pretty sure everyone on this board wasn’t happy today. They were the better team and we looked lost. It’s quite worrying seeing the team play like that.
90 minutes ffs :rolleyes:

2 or 3 fellas I've worked with through the years. Last I spoke to one of them, was before Patterson was sold. Said Patterson and Aribo away. Again, hopefully shite, and they've been given a bum steer. Aribo going in this window is not good.
If he goes in this window no matter how much it’s for the board better be ready for a shitstorm.

Look at the distance between our midfield and our forward line though we dropped back and surrendered possession far to easily the fact that Aberdeen had more of the ball than us is ridiculous and quite daming it was a defensive minded change that limited our pace in the wide areas it was an even more baffling decision to take Hagi off for Sakala when chasing the game instead of a defensive mid

Our midfield were overrun for the majority of the game - not just that, they were outplayed and outpassed.

The midfield used to be our strength, giving us control of games even if they didn't actually create much - they still gave it to the creative players to do that and the opponents never got much joy.

We need to change that midfield up - it has been left too long now. Hagi is like a man down and he is the one who should be breaking forward and supplying the ammo for those in front of him but he has been rubbish virtually every game.

3 weeks training with the team and his only tactic is to sit off teams and fire balls up the channels for Kent and Wright? How can he have us playing like that.

But he tapes the opposition and Instructs the team on tactics. He brought in a guy to specifically to do that.

Bizarre tactics.

Don’t win leagues trying to sit in and hold a one nil lead for an entire half against dross like Aberdeen.
Im still wondering what that was all about just sitting in creating nothing bringing lundstrum on at 60 mins aswell told aberdeen were not going to attack them were sitting in they had a free hit at us,why not go for a second goal were a better team than them ffs shouldve wipped the floor with them.

Our midfield was weak last night and never controlled the game at any point.
We had our best players missing, but sands to start in such a game is a bad call.

I hope the manager does well but it’s early days and the bravado about him was in my view rather OTT. Let’s see how it goes but I found it odd that he was not with a club. Tonight he was very naive in my opinion but then I’m not a coach.
Many people seem to be saying this since the full time whistle.

Funny I've seen it more than 10 times in 10 hours and not once more in the last 10 weeks.

Im still wondering what that was all about just sitting in creating nothing bringing lundstrum on at 60 mins aswell told aberdeen were not going to attack them were sitting in they had a free hit at us,why not go for a second goal were a better team than them ffs shouldve wipped the floor with them.

It was horrific. I'm not a doom merchant by any means, but don't know how people aren't alarmed by that. They are an average mid table team, wtf are we playing at?

Incredibly worrying. I hope you slept okay after watching us draw a game of football pal. Take care.

Many people seem to be saying this since the full time whistle.

Funny I've seen it more than 10 times in 10 hours and not once more in the last 10 weeks.
Mate I never jumped on either bandwagon Gerrard is a hero he delivered one of the three most important championships in our history (Easter Road to stop 10), (Tannadice to Win 9), and (St Mirren last season to stop 10). I don’t see him as a ‘traitor’ I simply see him as a guy who moved on to better himself.
Gio I found interesting he wasn’t working in football which I thought as odd given he had a reasonable track record. I hope the man does brilliantly but last night was naive and we looked miles off the pace. The sheep looked on it.

I can remember us having performances like that under Walter 07-11 against teams away from home, it happens

We’ve not lost in Aberdeen since 2016, yeah a draws not great but can’t expect to steamroller teams every week.

Pretty sure the manager/coaching staff know we need to improve, maybe more clout to approach Ross Wilson now to bring in a few more players

People need to get a grip on here a bad performance can happen and every rangers fan knows this is always 99%of the time hardest game of season because they put more effort in than any other game in the season so it could be worse we could be 4pts behind

We could also be 8 points ahead had we not chucked away 4 points in 2 matches to a pish Aberdeen side.

You'll probably see the sheep take a tanking off someone soon and Gio will realise his "good Aberdeen team" comments after the game were way off.

They're garbage and we need to be on the front foot and dominating teams like that as the season progresses.

Hopefully we see a few iof the njured players back soon to strengthen us.

Crucial point in the game was taking Wright off who was keeping Hayes from having free reign down our right side and putting Lundstrum on 64 mins who is just woeful, should have replaced him with Sakala as our attack in the second half was non existent from then on and we invited pressure by getting deeper as the match wore on imo, we needed the outball for either side and when we had nothing down the right it meant Kent was isolated and able to be targeted and double teamed, and eventually Hayes was brought to Kent’s side to hack away at him and generally be the tadger that he is.
I don’t know what Gio was thinking at that point seeing out the game at 64mins stupidity personified.

I can remember us having performances like that under Walter 07-11 against teams away from home, it happens

We’ve not lost in Aberdeen since 2016, yeah a draws not great but can’t expect to steamroller teams every week.

Pretty sure the manager/coaching staff know we need to improve, maybe more clout to approach Ross Wilson now to bring in a few more players
If we were steamrollering teams most weeks then I'd understand how last night could have been put down to a blip (performance wise).

We badly need investment in the 1st eleven. No more squad players.

We could also be 8 points ahead had we not chucked away 4 points in 2 matches to a pish Aberdeen side.
But that lot will say they dropped stupid points but we didn’t chuck points away we were pish both games and no matter how pish the sheep play they always play like men possessed so it’s onwards and upwards and learn from the mistakes and the title will remain where it belongs

That first change was criminal. Taking off pace and going defensive is shocking. Hagi staying on the pitch was concerning. Very concerning.

I hope the manager does well but it’s early days and the bravado about him was in my view rather OTT. Let’s see how it goes but I found it odd that he was not with a club. Tonight he was very naive in my opinion but then I’m not a coach.
Ross Wilson needs to offload the dead wood ASAP ie Barker,Simpson and try and bring in a couple of first team players offloading Jermain Defoe from the wage bill and the sale of Nathan Patterson should mean the finances are available

We end the game with 3 defensive midfielders. 2 of the front 3 wide and isolated before the second yellow for Kent. Sitting in far too deep and made limited use of Borna and Tav to create width and danger further up the park. On the odd occasion we did, we could have scored. The creativity and danger had to come from somewhere. It wasn’t ever coming from 3 defensive midfielders sitting in or isolated wide wingers. The set up led to a goal to be fair but in terms of chances created, it was grim against a poor Aberdeen. Let’s not persist with that type of set up.

Back