Glasgow and Dublin risk being cut as host cities for the Euros

uneasydaz

Glasgow and Dublin are at growing risk of being cut from the list of hosts for this summer's European Championship.

With fewer than 100 days until the delayed Euros, Uefa wants each of the countries staging matches to submit their plans - including for the return of fans - by a deadline of 7 April.

Organisers say they still hope to stage matches at the 12 venues as planned.

But the Scottish and Irish governments are yet to provide assurances whether fans will be allowed back by June.

And Uefa is understood to be increasingly concerned they may have to strip Glasgow and Dublin of their matches.

Both Hampden Park and the Aviva Stadium are due to stage four games.

According to one source with knowledge of tournament planning, the position on fans in Dublin and Glasgow is currently "very bad", with the respective governments "taking a much tighter approach to Covid than other cities".

On Wednesday, Scotland's Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said that being part of the Euros was "a really big deal" for her country.

But she added that fans being able to attend depended on "all of us abiding by the rules", cases falling, and the take-up of vaccines.

"We certainly should be able to celebrate our national team playing in the Euros, hopefully winning in the Euros, and we'll see whether or not it's possible at any point along that road for fans to actually be present to witness that," she said.

It is understood that the next few days will be crucial and that the Scottish government is aware of the need for clarity.

Last week, the Football Association of Ireland said it was still planning for fans to be present at Dublin's Aviva Stadium at the Euros, but admitted that it would only remain a host venue if it could guarantee Uefa that spectators would be permitted.

Irish government restrictions on spectators will remain in place until at least 5 April.

The British government has said up to 10,000 spectators will be permitted inside English grounds from mid-May, and unlimited numbers from 21 June.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said England could stage more than the seven matches currently being played at Wembley, if Uefa needed it to step in.

'It's looking bleak' - analysis​

BBC Scotland sports news correspondent Chris McLaughlin

Given some of the conversations I've had, things at this stage are looking pretty bleak. I don't think the Scottish government are of a mind to budge, to take any chances on pressure that may well come from Uefa, they just think it's too early.

Come June, we may well be in a position to have fans inside stadiums but Uefa want assurances now. I don't think the Scottish government are of a mind to take a chance - as they see it - on giving those assurances. I think it might well be just too late and, at the moment, it's looking bleak

Glasgow and Dublin are at growing risk of being cut from the list of hosts for this summer's European Championship.

With fewer than 100 days until the delayed Euros, Uefa wants each of the countries staging matches to submit their plans - including for the return of fans - by a deadline of 7 April.

Organisers say they still hope to stage matches at the 12 venues as planned.

But the Scottish and Irish governments are yet to provide assurances whether fans will be allowed back by June.

And Uefa is understood to be increasingly concerned they may have to strip Glasgow and Dublin of their matches.

Both Hampden Park and the Aviva Stadium are due to stage four games.

According to one source with knowledge of tournament planning, the position on fans in Dublin and Glasgow is currently "very bad", with the respective governments "taking a much tighter approach to Covid than other cities".

On Wednesday, Scotland's Health Secretary Jeane Freeman said that being part of the Euros was "a really big deal" for her country.

But she added that fans being able to attend depended on "all of us abiding by the rules", cases falling, and the take-up of vaccines.

"We certainly should be able to celebrate our national team playing in the Euros, hopefully winning in the Euros, and we'll see whether or not it's possible at any point along that road for fans to actually be present to witness that," she said.

It is understood that the next few days will be crucial and that the Scottish government is aware of the need for clarity.

Last week, the Football Association of Ireland said it was still planning for fans to be present at Dublin's Aviva Stadium at the Euros, but admitted that it would only remain a host venue if it could guarantee Uefa that spectators would be permitted.

Irish government restrictions on spectators will remain in place until at least 5 April.

The British government has said up to 10,000 spectators will be permitted inside English grounds from mid-May, and unlimited numbers from 21 June.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said England could stage more than the seven matches currently being played at Wembley, if Uefa needed it to step in.

'It's looking bleak' - analysis​

BBC Scotland sports news correspondent Chris McLaughlin

Given some of the conversations I've had, things at this stage are looking pretty bleak. I don't think the Scottish government are of a mind to budge, to take any chances on pressure that may well come from Uefa, they just think it's too early.

Come June, we may well be in a position to have fans inside stadiums but Uefa want assurances now. I don't think the Scottish government are of a mind to take a chance - as they see it - on giving those assurances. I think it might well be just too late and, at the moment, it's looking bleak

Lol, this should be fun...

“A really big deal” what a fucking embarrassing mess we have running this country.” We’d love it awfy much”.

Think of Spurs new stadium, think of West Hams Olympic stadium, think of state of the art Ibrox( bigger capacity) and then you have Hampden.

A third of the population vaccinated, including the most vulnerable, and over 10 million being done each month. By the end of April 40 million vaccinated. No reason to keep the lockdown going.
I dont know if as many as they claim have been vacinated. I am over 60 and still havnt had a date.

Kim Jong Krankie doesn't give a f**k about anything else but indyref2. She'll not allow the games to go ahead in Glasgow, blame ukgov and the brainwashed cultists will lap it up.

It will difficult to blame the UK Gov. when Scotland will be playing at least 2 games at Wembley.

Hopefully this is more pressure added for her to release restrictions earlier than her original plan

The Liar will probably block the Euro games as she doesn’t want fans in stadiums

Bur it’s okay to vote in schools on 6th May then count all the votes and have it all socially distanced too

She is also wanting an Indyref2 vote with the country and finances in a perilous state

Sums the Nationalists scum up for what they are all about

Power and control and wanting to break up the Union

Dublin is in a foreign country and shouldn't even be considered. The UK should go it alone with Ibrox the only ground hosting in Scotland.

Lots of issues here to unpick

I live in England and am barred from travelling to Scotland so why would fans from other nations be allowed to travel and stay in hotels etc

It is currently illegal to go on holiday either to it from Scotland

It does not make sense to use venues in multiple countries with all the travelling involved especially with fans from competing nations

Makes more sense to use one country and no fans to limit the risk of transmission but this would mean revenue would suffer

Very unlikely fans will be allowed into Scottish ground at the start of next season

How can this be ? We’ve just heard the poisoned dwarf stand up in Holyrood boasting how she is taking us out of lockdown.
About to be put into a strict tiered lockdown in all but name based on a perverted version of WHO guidance which isnt taking into account vaccination. Secondly the figures Scotgov are using are total infections per 100k rather than the community infection WHO recommends. So in effect hospital, care home and prison infection (all high) will skew most council areas figures and keep us in ridiculous tiers. I don’t believe there is any prospect of fans getting back. It will end up
In court. These fucks are following a zerocovid approach based on the advice of looneys like Sridhar.

About to be put into a strict tiered lockdown in all but name based on a perverted version of WHO guidance which isnt taking into account vaccination. Secondly the figures Scotgov are using are total infections per 100k rather than the community infection WHO recommends. So in effect hospital, care home and prison infection (all high) will skew most council areas figures and keep us in ridiculous tiers. I don’t believe there is any prospect of fans getting back. It will end up
In court. These fucks are following a zerocovid approach based on the advice of looneys like Sridhar.
Last week, Armley prison in Leeds in also showed high numbers. The council made sure to reassure the locals those numbers would not affect the lockdown rules

It looks like Sturgeon is using any rules she can, except for Westminster's own guidance

I wouldn't put it past her to ease restrictions for the Climate Change meeting, especially if the cross dresser from the Vatican does show, then move to ban public gatherings straight after

She will do what ever gives her the most votes , her reputation has been good lately due to her handling of the virus she will cling to this until after the elections in May although she has taken a bit of a hit due to the salmond thing , she will do what's best for Nicola.

Back