Glasgow City Council asks SFA to renew Hampdump lease for five years

miraculous

Official Ticketer
Glasgow City Council have moved to save Hampden from the axe by asking the SFA to extend their lease by up to five years.

Council bosses are anxious to keep the national stadium as Scottish football’s neutral acre and want the game’s leaders to ditch plans to quit in 2020.

They have requested time to examine all options for the future of Hampden, which which may even include partial re-development to make it more spectator friendly.

They are also keen to examine how it could be made economically more viable, perhaps with a new financial model in a partnership similar to the SECC campus, which is 10 per cent owned by private institutions such as banks and pension funds.

The council prizes its sporting, social, cultural and economic worth to the country’s biggest city and don’t want to see the famous Mount Florida site abandoned too hastily for venues around the rest of Scotland.

They will present a proposal to the SFA board next week asking them to consider an extension to their lease with Queen’s Park until 2025 to give a working party made up of council officials, Hampden Park Limited, Queen’s Park and football leaders enough time to explore all alternatives.

The council’s plans are unlikely to find favour with the city’s two biggest clubs as Celtic and Rangers are both keen to host future internationals and major cup contests, with Edinburgh and Aberdeen also in the frame for fixtures if the SFA walk away from the current site, which has stood since 1903.

Susan Aitken, leader of Glasgow City Council, said: “It is the view of the city government and wider council family that Hampden should remain the home of the Scottish national team.

“We have expressed this view to the SFA, as well as our willingness to engage with all key stakeholders to develop a positive future for the national stadium.

“We accept there are a number of challenges. However, it would be to Glasgow’s economic, cultural and reputational detriment were Hampden no longer the national stadium.

“Ahead of its meeting on Tuesday, we have made the SFA Board aware that we are prepared to commit to a football-led working group seeking to retain Hampden Park as a key sporting asset in the city.

“But the existing timescales provide limited scope for the relevant parties to come together, propose and examine whatever options may emerge from discussions on Hampden’s future.

“As such we have asked them to consider amending their current decision-making timetable by a reasonable period to allow the working group to develop potential viable options.”

Record Sport first revealed last year the future of Hampden was in the balance after it was hit by a whopping rates rise and increased criticism over its suitability as a major venue.

It will host three games, including a quarter final, at the new look Euro 2020 tournament but its future thereafter remains shrouded in doubt.

The SRU have already made a pitch for future business at Murrayfield, but Glasgow council bosses want to retain it as a jewel in the city’s sporting crown and explore ways to make it more user friendly and profitable.

The SFA declined to comment.

No ulterior motive.

Hampden is a UEFA Elite stadium. It was good enough for the Commonwealth games and a Europa League final not that long ago. Now it's declared unsuitable and too expensive for the SFA.

The not so ulterior motive, is to move internationals and cup finals to Celtic Park. Renovate the pigsty into the bargain.

Looks like Rangers are being duped into the "spread the games " crap.

The SFA have absolutely no intention of leaving Hampden. They are just trying to shaft Queens Park into dropping the price they want for the rent.

Not that I have been to any international games in many years but this is all about the tims and only the tims, the tin shed they call paradise is duo it's mid-life renovation, and us council tax payers are being lined up for the honour of paying for it again.
This is the obvious elephant in the the room that their favourable press and the tranny army do not want to acknowledge. It’s as transparent as anything.

Hampden is a terrible stadium for the supporter. Either the stands behind the goals are rebuilt (like Stuttgart did) or give it up.

Make deal that semi finals and finals are played at Ibrox or the piggery. Unless an old firm game - Ask the SRU to accommodate old firm semis and finals at murrayfield, I’m sure they’d be happy to.

Take Scotland games round the country.

Hampden is a terrible stadium for the supporter. Either the stands behind the goals are rebuilt (like Stuttgart did) or give it up.

Make deal that semi finals and finals are played at Ibrox or the piggery. Unless an old firm game - Ask the SRU to accommodate old firm semis and finals at murrayfield, I’m sure they’d be happy to.

This would be too sensible but unfortunately it doesn’t pay for the redevelopment of the San Giro.

I’ve had plenty of great experiences at Hampden and they were not impacted by the fact the stadium isn’t particularly well designed etc

Football hipster pish IMO. It’s our national stadium, we win things there and that’s that.

Agree with GCC (for which smelling salts may be required)

If I did start going to Scotland games I definitely would not go to Parkhead to watch Scotland or to any gig.

Does this not mean that GCC and ceptic now have an official time for Hampden to close as the national stadium

Glasgow City Council have moved to save Hampden from the axe by asking the SFA to extend their lease by up to five years.

Council bosses are anxious to keep the national stadium as Scottish football’s neutral acre and want the game’s leaders to ditch plans to quit in 2020.

They have requested time to examine all options for the future of Hampden, which which may even include partial re-development to make it more spectator friendly.

They are also keen to examine how it could be made economically more viable, perhaps with a new financial model in a partnership similar to the SECC campus, which is 10 per cent owned by private institutions such as banks and pension funds.

The council prizes its sporting, social, cultural and economic worth to the country’s biggest city and don’t want to see the famous Mount Florida site abandoned too hastily for venues around the rest of Scotland.

They will present a proposal to the SFA board next week asking them to consider an extension to their lease with Queen’s Park until 2025 to give a working party made up of council officials, Hampden Park Limited, Queen’s Park and football leaders enough time to explore all alternatives.

The council’s plans are unlikely to find favour with the city’s two biggest clubs as Celtic and Rangers are both keen to host future internationals and major cup contests, with Edinburgh and Aberdeen also in the frame for fixtures if the SFA walk away from the current site, which has stood since 1903.

Susan Aitken, leader of Glasgow City Council, said: “It is the view of the city government and wider council family that Hampden should remain the home of the Scottish national team.

“We have expressed this view to the SFA, as well as our willingness to engage with all key stakeholders to develop a positive future for the national stadium.

“We accept there are a number of challenges. However, it would be to Glasgow’s economic, cultural and reputational detriment were Hampden no longer the national stadium.

“Ahead of its meeting on Tuesday, we have made the SFA Board aware that we are prepared to commit to a football-led working group seeking to retain Hampden Park as a key sporting asset in the city.

“But the existing timescales provide limited scope for the relevant parties to come together, propose and examine whatever options may emerge from discussions on Hampden’s future.

“As such we have asked them to consider amending their current decision-making timetable by a reasonable period to allow the working group to develop potential viable options.”

Record Sport first revealed last year the future of Hampden was in the balance after it was hit by a whopping rates rise and increased criticism over its suitability as a major venue.

It will host three games, including a quarter final, at the new look Euro 2020 tournament but its future thereafter remains shrouded in doubt.

The SRU have already made a pitch for future business at Murrayfield, but Glasgow council bosses want to retain it as a jewel in the city’s sporting crown and explore ways to make it more user friendly and profitable.

The SFA declined to comment.
The city government? She should be ridiculed for using such terminology. SNP ladies front bottom.

Hampden is an appalling stadium, it's a dank, soulless pit, even for music events it's horrendous.

I would raze it to the ground.

Scared that Murrayfield gets the gig. Loss of revenue to Glasgow, car parking fees, economic benefits to hotels, shops, etc. Now they would quickly change their opinion if the piggery was chosen.

So they want it to remain the national stadium for an extra five years ?
It's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I do agree that it is not a ringing endorsement but within 5 years we will be back where we belong and the dhimms strangle hold on Scottish football will be at an end, and they will not be allowed to redevelop the paedodome without a fight from us.

A couple of things jump out

Only 5 years? Sounds like the council are just postponing the inevitable

Hampden hit with a "whopping" rate rise. Whose fault is that?

I presume the Peadodome also had an increase, hence the proposed move getting mootes

The Glasgow Catholic Council shitting themselves for the inundation of free work/upgrades requests from the piggery once they get the go ahead to be the new national.

This equal pay loss in Glasgow will have far wider implications than expected

Hampden as it is just now isn't fit to be national stadium. If it is to be used going forward for finals/international games, it needs majorly rebuilt/remodelled.

I presume the Peadodome also had an increase, hence the proposed move getting mootes

I'd actually say there is a more sinister motive in operation here , only 2 of Scotland's larger venues have " UEFA accredited status " and the Parkhead isn't 1 of the 2 , this 5 years will give the bheggars time to get accredited ........ In my opinion

The city government? She should be ridiculed for using such terminology. SNP ladies front bottom.
It's the name the separatist council want to call themselves now, just more grandstanding as you'd expect from that lot. Talking of grandstands, we all know where the SFA is being led by Liewell and it ain't Scotland internationals at Ibrox. That we are being linked with his plotting does us no credit, we shouldn't touch this with a bargepole.

No ulterior motive.

Hampden is a UEFA Elite stadium. It was good enough for the Commonwealth games and a Europa League final not that long ago. Now it's declared unsuitable and too expensive for the SFA.

The not so ulterior motive, is to move internationals and cup finals to Celtic Park. Renovate the pigsty into the bargain.

Spot on.
Our board seem to be blissfully unaware that we're in line for a shafting.

Probably means....."our long term plans to upgrade Celtic Park to a world class venue will take at least another few years, please delay decision on Hampden until the task is completed".

Exactly, if Hampdump is mothballed they've got nowhere to play whilst the renovations are complete. 'No ulterior motive' my arse. Queens Park would be aswell getting a provisional deal ready with Patrick and calling the bluff, 20 year lease or close it.

Dont get me wrong, the place is a shit stadium for fans etc but as someone said above, it was an Elite stadium recently and its only 20 or so years in to its life. I don't buy in to the need for redeveloping given no-one is bringing a bag of cash along to bulldoze and rebuild two stands for less than 10 games a year.

Probably means....."our long term plans to upgrade Celtic Park to a world class venue will take at least another few years, please delay decision on Hampden until the task is completed".
Or if this very public support for Hampden fails it will be along the lines of...... "we, GCC, tried our best to keep Hampden as the national stadium but failed. Let now put all our efforts and funding into making Parkhead the best and most modern national stadium it can be".
Remember that £100,000's of public money was spend in upgrades for the Commonwealth Games in a venue that didn't hold a single event.
They are always upto something.

I'd be against the SRU taking any money from Scottish football.

I personally think this has been the SFAs plan all along, they signed an awful deal that cost a fortune 20 years ago, I think they are threatening to leave in order to drive a better bargain. I just can’t see Hampden being put out to pasture.

No ulterior motive.

So possibly UEFA have told them that only UEFA elite stadiums are eligible if any change is ti be of a long term nature and they just don't want us to have it on our own.

Huge rate rise = SNP Will a special deal be then contrevening EUFA FIFA rules just like clubs do advertising SNP on advertising boards at football grounds around the country.

No ulterior motive.

Surely if gcc were that concerned they would have spent the money on Hampden for the commonwealth games instead of pouring it into the glitterdome.

I just assumed when i saw the headline that the cooncil were buying time so that they can spend even more cash on said glitterdome and present it as a fait accompli as the national stadium.

I might just be too cynical for my own good...

I'm sure i read that the rates for the glitterdome were decreased. , Ibrox & Hampden were increased...i think.

The seats behind the goals at Murrayfield are just as far away from the pitch as at Hampden

No ulterior motive.

This in spades. Its not the best stadium for football, but its far from the worst. Apart from games where I've been right down the front I've not found it that bad (and to be honest we end up standing most of the time anyway), plus the catering and other facilities are pretty decent. Its our country's historical home of football. Its neutral. And with a bit of planning and investment it could easily be improved. To say its not fit for purpose is bollocks and only serves the agenda to shift the business and all benefits to the TattieBowl. We've seen this movie before. Look at the neglect and run-down of facilities at places like Kelvin Hall and Crownpoint that were used as justification for all the new facilities built... at Parkhead.

I'm disappointed that Rangers got involved with this bid. Firstly its naive and we'll get shafted, and secondly if they'd stepped back out of it and it gets simply handed to the scum on a plate it would have made it even clearer as to the carve up going on.

Hampden, with the two end stands improved, should be the home of Scottish football. If it moves to Parkhead (and with Ibrox being chucked the odd crumb) or Murrayfield then it won't be about what's best for Scottish football. It will be about what lines the right pockets.

Back