Glasgow football bus tour from George Sq

uneasydaz

LINDSAY HAMILTON has the answer to the existential question of our time. No, not the one about Covid-19 portending the apocalypse, it's another apocalypse we're talking about here.

Since last March, Hamilton has been running her own football trips. The Glasgow Football Tour leaves George Street every Saturday at 12.30 bound for Celtic Park, Hampden, Cathkin Park, Ibrox and Firhill. For almost a year, there has been one question that recurs.

“'You're a historian, is Rangers a new club?'” laughs Hamilton. “I get that all the time. I'll say I'm not getting involved, it doesn't matter what I say someone is going to believe what they believe. Every club in Glasgow had their financial issues. Clyde has had problems, Queen's Park, Partick Thistle had the Save The Jags campaign, Celtic got saved in 94. And they all survived – that's the story, not tit for tat. and I'll say 'wait a minute, I could talk about every club in Glasgow having had financial issues at some point in their history, so let's not even get into it

She's got a pretty good handle on all of the rest of Scottish football, too: such as why Queen's Park are known as the Spiders (it might not be the reason you think, either), how Ibrox almost got its own underground train station and why people feel ashamed of what became of Third Lanark.

With an easygoing outlook, Hamilton brings life to every day topics. She's bubbly, funny and never stops talking – a prized asset for someone who spends her weekdays as a museum guide and weekends as a bus-tour operator.

The idea for the tour came to the 25-year-old when she started working at the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden, as part of her placement while she took a sports studies degree at Stirling University where a passion for history and sociology was also awakened. Football, a sport she had been immersed in since her dad first threw a ball down in front of her, was a natural marriage partner.

“I got to talk about Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain and the Basque country, Irish gaelic games, stuff across the board and it was brilliant,” she adds. “I ended up writing my dissertation about Bill Struth, the former Rangers manager, and how he encompassed Rangers supporters' identity and traditions. I am a Celtic fan, I'll disclose that, but it did interest me to dig into Protestantism and unionism. I did my research at the Scottish Football Museum and just absolutely fell in love with the place.

“That's when I discovered 'oh, I can get a job where I can talk about football, all day, every day. I just love telling folks' stories about football, about Glasgow, about football in Glasgow.

Hampden is brilliant, it's one of my favourite stadiums but it is only one. Glasgow is a football city and it has five grounds that you can go and see. We've also got the women's team Glasgow City, we stop off outside the ground where the play [Petershill Park] – they don't have their own home but we still talk about them. There's just such a wealth of history, Hampden covers a great deal of that history but it's not the full picture and I think folk should get a chance to see it all. The thing was I couldn't get a full-time job at the museum so I thought to myself 'I can do this on my own, I can do it a little bit differently.”

And what of the tour itself? Some of the stories you will have heard before and others you will not. Hamilton prides herself on nailing down her research the week before a trip, the result is a warm, informative and humorous journey across the soul of a city characterised by it's football and those who made it what it is today. Hamilton addresses each stadium in sequential order.

Celtic Park is all about the Lisbon Lions,” she says giving us a whistle-stop version of the tour. “The beauty of the stadium is that you do have a couple of statues and murals outside so you can stop at. A lot of the Celtic stuff is about the foundation, the charitable beginnings. When you head to Hampden it is about world record attendances, now European records (they were once world records), we talk about big European games, the 1960 European Cup final, we talk about Queen's Park. My big secret story is why Queen's Park are called the Spiders, not a lot of folk know the real reason why because we only discovered it in the museum last year.

We talk about triumph and tragedy and the tragedy comes when you get to Cathkin Park. That's everybody's favourite spot because, even if you are a football fan coming on my tour and you know about Third Lanark and you know about Cathkin Park, it still shocks people to see the state that it's in. For the people that are maybe not the biggest football fans or they don't know who Third Lanark is, their jaws drop. It's almost like a bit of shame for people, especially Glaswegians who are like 'how the hell did we let this happen?' We talk about Bill Hiddleston, who basically ran the football club into the ground. Glasgow is always seen as one of these places where you stick up for one another, we don't let folk come in and tear things apart, we're quite protective of one another.”

Even if I do go over the old stuff, people still love talking about it. It's a reminiscence for them and the best bit about it is that they always have their own little anecdotes, if I mention a game or I mention a player or a stadium.

“At Rangers, I've got an anecdote about the 1950s when there were plans to have a train line running straight from Central Station underneath Ibrox so fans could buy a match ticket and a train ticket at Central Station, get the train to underneath the stadium, filter out and up into the stand.

“And when we get to Firhill we talk about the mural – that's a massive favourite with folk and it's a beautiful bit of work by a guy called Bobby McNamara – aka Rogue One – from Darnley. It's one of everybody's favourites.”

The secret to the success of her tours, she says, is good, old-fashioned Glesga patter.

“Of course, that's the best way to do it. There is time to take the mickey out of each other. Folk usually pick up that I'm a Celtic fan, people ask and I don't hide it. I'm unbiased anyway, plus the big giveaway is when I mention 'Sellick' and folk know right away. I never really hide it, though, there's no point.”

More crucially, Hamilton, once a player at Celtic as a teenager, knows all too well that you can't bluff Glaswegians when it comes to their football.

It's a challenge to find stuff because if you are a football fan in Glasgow you know your stuff and it's my job to find the stuff that folk don't know about. I usually do a big read the week before just to see if I can pick up any additional little things, any other stories and they usually get thrown in if I can remember – that's the thing I usually just end up gabbing away.”

The perfect antidote for anyone who might be stuck for something to do on a Saturday morning for the foreseeable future.

I can't think of anything that I'd want to do less than tour other football stadiums in Glasgow with a Celtic fan leading the discussion. I mean I can if I really think about it, but for the sake of effect this strikes me as a dreadful waste of time.

LINDSAY HAMILTON has the answer to the existential question of our time. No, not the one about Covid-19 portending the apocalypse, it's another apocalypse we're talking about here.

Since last March, Hamilton has been running her own football trips. The Glasgow Football Tour leaves George Street every Saturday at 12.30 bound for Celtic Park, Hampden, Cathkin Park, Ibrox and Firhill. For almost a year, there has been one question that recurs.

“'You're a historian, is Rangers a new club?'” laughs Hamilton. “I get that all the time. I'll say I'm not getting involved, it doesn't matter what I say someone is going to believe what they believe. Every club in Glasgow had their financial issues. Clyde has had problems, Queen's Park, Partick Thistle had the Save The Jags campaign, Celtic got saved in 94. And they all survived – that's the story, not tit for tat. and I'll say 'wait a minute, I could talk about every club in Glasgow having had financial issues at some point in their history, so let's not even get into it

She's got a pretty good handle on all of the rest of Scottish football, too: such as why Queen's Park are known as the Spiders (it might not be the reason you think, either), how Ibrox almost got its own underground train station and why people feel ashamed of what became of Third Lanark.

With an easygoing outlook, Hamilton brings life to every day topics. She's bubbly, funny and never stops talking – a prized asset for someone who spends her weekdays as a museum guide and weekends as a bus-tour operator.

The idea for the tour came to the 25-year-old when she started working at the Scottish Football Museum at Hampden, as part of her placement while she took a sports studies degree at Stirling University where a passion for history and sociology was also awakened. Football, a sport she had been immersed in since her dad first threw a ball down in front of her, was a natural marriage partner.

“I got to talk about Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain and the Basque country, Irish gaelic games, stuff across the board and it was brilliant,” she adds. “I ended up writing my dissertation about Bill Struth, the former Rangers manager, and how he encompassed Rangers supporters' identity and traditions. I am a Celtic fan, I'll disclose that, but it did interest me to dig into Protestantism and unionism. I did my research at the Scottish Football Museum and just absolutely fell in love with the place.

“That's when I discovered 'oh, I can get a job where I can talk about football, all day, every day. I just love telling folks' stories about football, about Glasgow, about football in Glasgow.

Hampden is brilliant, it's one of my favourite stadiums but it is only one. Glasgow is a football city and it has five grounds that you can go and see. We've also got the women's team Glasgow City, we stop off outside the ground where the play [Petershill Park] – they don't have their own home but we still talk about them. There's just such a wealth of history, Hampden covers a great deal of that history but it's not the full picture and I think folk should get a chance to see it all. The thing was I couldn't get a full-time job at the museum so I thought to myself 'I can do this on my own, I can do it a little bit differently.”

And what of the tour itself? Some of the stories you will have heard before and others you will not. Hamilton prides herself on nailing down her research the week before a trip, the result is a warm, informative and humorous journey across the soul of a city characterised by it's football and those who made it what it is today. Hamilton addresses each stadium in sequential order.

Celtic Park is all about the Lisbon Lions,” she says giving us a whistle-stop version of the tour. “The beauty of the stadium is that you do have a couple of statues and murals outside so you can stop at. A lot of the Celtic stuff is about the foundation, the charitable beginnings. When you head to Hampden it is about world record attendances, now European records (they were once world records), we talk about big European games, the 1960 European Cup final, we talk about Queen's Park. My big secret story is why Queen's Park are called the Spiders, not a lot of folk know the real reason why because we only discovered it in the museum last year.

We talk about triumph and tragedy and the tragedy comes when you get to Cathkin Park. That's everybody's favourite spot because, even if you are a football fan coming on my tour and you know about Third Lanark and you know about Cathkin Park, it still shocks people to see the state that it's in. For the people that are maybe not the biggest football fans or they don't know who Third Lanark is, their jaws drop. It's almost like a bit of shame for people, especially Glaswegians who are like 'how the hell did we let this happen?' We talk about Bill Hiddleston, who basically ran the football club into the ground. Glasgow is always seen as one of these places where you stick up for one another, we don't let folk come in and tear things apart, we're quite protective of one another.”

Even if I do go over the old stuff, people still love talking about it. It's a reminiscence for them and the best bit about it is that they always have their own little anecdotes, if I mention a game or I mention a player or a stadium.

“At Rangers, I've got an anecdote about the 1950s when there were plans to have a train line running straight from Central Station underneath Ibrox so fans could buy a match ticket and a train ticket at Central Station, get the train to underneath the stadium, filter out and up into the stand.

“And when we get to Firhill we talk about the mural – that's a massive favourite with folk and it's a beautiful bit of work by a guy called Bobby McNamara – aka Rogue One – from Darnley. It's one of everybody's favourites.”

The secret to the success of her tours, she says, is good, old-fashioned Glesga patter.

“Of course, that's the best way to do it. There is time to take the mickey out of each other. Folk usually pick up that I'm a Celtic fan, people ask and I don't hide it. I'm unbiased anyway, plus the big giveaway is when I mention 'Sellick' and folk know right away. I never really hide it, though, there's no point.”

More crucially, Hamilton, once a player at Celtic as a teenager, knows all too well that you can't bluff Glaswegians when it comes to their football.

It's a challenge to find stuff because if you are a football fan in Glasgow you know your stuff and it's my job to find the stuff that folk don't know about. I usually do a big read the week before just to see if I can pick up any additional little things, any other stories and they usually get thrown in if I can remember – that's the thing I usually just end up gabbing away.”

The perfect antidote for anyone who might be stuck for something to do on a Saturday morning for the foreseeable future.
Yeah, she's a Celtic fan and she is unbias but can't simply say that anyone that believes Rangers are a new club are infantile idiots.

She of course gets in the old Celtic charitable foundations that no one ever takes issue with.

As ever they have no issue nailing their colours to the mast while most of our lot out in the mainstream try everything to hide it.

The idea itself is a decent one and maybe the council or tourist board etc should be looking at.

I can't say it would interest me personally because I'm not really interested in anyone outside ourselves but it would be good for tourists.

This cow can %^*& off however.

So unbiased that she celebrates the statues of child abuse enablers and such a well informed historian that she thinks Celtic started as a charitable organization (referencing the other thread)?
So C****c were started as a charitable organisation.
To help the Irish Catholic poor ?
Just the Irish and Catholics?
Was there any other poor in the city?
Did they help them ?

Oh right. :oops:

Sellick supporter but her dissertation was about Bill Struth. Obsessed.
Can you imagine a Rangers fan doing a dissertation about anyone to do with that rancid club?

If i was even SLIGHTLY interested in doing this, which I'm really not, I'm genuinely amazed she'd out herself as a fan of the filth and make up my mind 100% for me. Makes zero business sense to alienate potential customers like that. As for the supposed "most asked question". Utter bollox.

So C****c were started as a charitable organisation.
To help the Irish Catholic poor ?
Just the Irish and Catholics?
Was there any other poor in the city?
Did they help them ?

Oh right. :oops:
According to that other thread, they didn't even help the catholic poor! No records of donations back in the day at all.

It appears they were founded and exist to only assist serial pedophiles.

That and demonize the Union only to turn to her when they need.

A club like no other. Thank fnck.

It's telling nobody is even asking for a picture of her. Minds are made up, can smell the musty confession box upbringing from here

Is she a celtic fan?:):) ;) .It's a rubber ear from me.

The Glasgow Football Tour leaves George Street every Saturday at 12.30 bound for Celtic Park .....
Well, blow me down with a feather..

“'You're a historian, is Rangers a new club?'” laughs Hamilton. “I get that all the time. I'll say I'm not getting involved
Is it too hard to say the word 'NO' ?

“I ended up writing my dissertation about Bill Struth, the former Rangers manager, and how he encompassed Rangers supporters' identity and traditions. I am a Celtic fan, I'll disclose that, but it did interest me to dig into Protestantism and unionism.
Not that they're utterly, utterly obssessed or anything like that ?!

I did my research at the Scottish Football Museum
So, a cowardly, ignorant, Septic-loving, Rangers-hater, then.

I just love telling folks' stories about football, about Glasgow, about football in Glasgow.
But duck a simple question when directly asked.

Hampden is brilliant, it's one of my favourite stadiums
No it's not - you obviously have a limited experience of football stadia. It's an utter shitehole and a terrible place to watch a game of football. By the time you're high enough up the rows to see the formation on the park, you're so far back, you're nearly in Shawlands.

The thing was I couldn't get a full-time job at the museum
This surprises me greatly - honest !

Hamilton addresses each stadium in sequential order.
Yeah, of course she does.

“Celtic Park is all about the Lisbon Lions,” she says giving us a whistle-stop version of the tour. “The beauty of the stadium is that you do have a couple of statues and murals outside so you can stop at. A lot of the Celtic stuff is about the foundation, the charitable beginnings.

So at Septic, it's all about European glory, history, humble beginnings and heritage. At Rangers it's about a fictional train station. I think you've been reading too much Harry Potter, love.

Another one sided whitewash of the paedohiders from the east to blinker unsuspecting tourists and get them into the scum dome Walfrid way.

I actually quite like the idea of doing this tour, perhaps 3 or 4 spaced at strategic places around the bus and all hit the moo with questions re the filth, I would like to see her get out of some of the obvious ones. I know it might mean the trollop gets some dosh but just to see her try to put a positive spin on child abuse, terrorism, sectarianism and, anti British-ness would be worth the Youtube footage alone! on a side note, Booking .com state the piggery as one of the sights to see in Glasgow!!! get in there and leave a review! I did, stating that they should do their research and that that place is not safe for children, Jewish people, Protestants or basically any right-minded human!

No mention of 'Scotland's most successful club' or the 'Iconic Bill Struth Stand' a masterpiece designed by prominent Glasgow architect Archibald Leitch ?

Yet she harps on about some banners hastily put up to cover the rusting structure of the breezeblock arena ?

Fuck that for a day on a bus.

If she's really a historian she may want to look again at her spiel that "A lot of the Celtic stuff is about the foundation, the charitable beginnings". Just because she repeats the lie often enough, doesn't change the FACTS pertaining to that club's foundation. Continuing to promote the lie is tantamount to endorsing it.

Back