Glasgow politician to meet with Scottish football bosses over Celtic Boys' Club abuse

BlueMeanie

A GLASGOW politician is to meet with SFA bosses to discuss concerns about Celtic Football Club's handing of historical abuse involving the team's boys club.

Conservative MSP Adam Tomkins said he had also asked for a meeting with Peter Lawwell, the club's Chief Executive but the club had not been forthcoming.

Mr Tomkins voiced criticism after the Herald and Times group revealed that Celtic had been carrying out it's own 2-year investigation, in secret, looking into historical abuse cases involving Celtic Boys Club.
It follows a string of convictions for former employees including Jim Caffrey and Frank Cairney.
The probe – which is ongoing – has been headed by senior officials, legal counsel and third parties in complete secrecy as it looks to trawl through years of allegations to reach the truth.
Because of the sensitivity around the claims including potentially both legal and civil actions, only a handful of people have been privy to the operation.

However, Mr Tomkins has written a second letter to Mr Lawwell, accusing the club of not putting abuse victims "at the forefront" of it's investigations. Other criticisms levelled against the club include a failure as yet to put in place a compensation package for victims.
He writes: "On the same day I wrote to you, I received a letter from the SFA. They have been in touch to arrange a meeting. It's a pity you have not done likewise.
"How a wholly secret investigation at the best of an insurance company, can constitute a process designed to put the rights and interests of victims at the forefront?"

Mr Tomkins added: "My main criticisms are: 1. that what Celtic have said about the relationship between the football club and the boys club (ie that they are “entirely separate organisations”) does not appear to true and 2. that Celtic’s processes have been entirely secret and cannot therefore have been designed to help and support victims, which much surely be the paramount consideration."
Celtic came under renewed criticism when Jim McCafferty became the fourth person connected with Celtic Boys’ Club or the club itself to be jailed over abuse.
He was caged for six years, following Jim Torbett, Frank Cairney and Gerald King through the justice system.

sweeping-under-the-carpet_o_6949607.jpg

Again this piece is trying to say they are looking into every avenue with their internal investigation. I would bet my life savings no such “investigation “has been ongoing. Why not say this when Torbett was jailed. Trying to cover their asses after the separate entity shite. Ask them to prove they have done all these things. Liars from cradle to the grave.

Well done Adam, putting the rest of this country’s politicians to shame.
He is indeed,apparently he's getting a barrage of vile abuse on social media from the beastly hordes as you expect from them.
A brave man who is the only one prepared to speak for the victims and families against a wall of silence.
Shame on every last one of them and let's give prof Tomkins the support he deserves and requires.

Again this piece is trying to say they are looking into every avenue with their internal investigation. I would bet my life savings no such “investigation “has been ongoing. Why not say this when Torbett was jailed. Trying to cover their asses after the separate entity shite. Ask them to prove they have done all these things. Liars from cradle to the grave.

There has been no internal investigation other than their lawyers instructing them to say ‘ it wisnae us ‘.

When Prof Tomkins meets the SFA he has to ask what sanctions they intend to take on Nonce FC

The SFA were quick enough to charge us with bringing the game into disrepute over financial mismanagement so what’s the punishment for cover up 40/50 years of CSA between employees and officials of CBC and CFC

Prof Tomkins has to stress this is now 6 convictions not 4

The mhedia again trying to spin this myth that 4 Paedos have been convicted and that’s wrong

Well done to Adam Tomkins for pushing this scandal and demanding action and asking what CFC are going to do about the victims

Through Liewells machinations there are many of his placements, sycophants and apologists in positions at the SFA.

Wouldn't be surprised if the SFA getting in touch with Tomkins has been solicited by Liewell. His motivation would be twofold.
1. They would be a conduit straight back to Liewells lair.
2. They would be engineering the convenient narrative that it's an enquiry encompassing all Clubs and not specifically pointed at the paedophile ring at Parkhead.

Regardless, we should not underestimate the political courage that Tomkins has displayed in a corrupt and hostile environment by doing the right thing.

Don;t know why exactly but I'm getting the feeling Liewell isn't just out to protect brand smellic.
Not coming across as someone trying to get the truth out for the sake of the victims. Maybe it's personal.

He is indeed,apparently he's getting a barrage of vile abuse on social media from the beastly hordes as you expect from them.
A brave man who is the only one prepared to speak for the victims and families against a wall of silence.
Shame on every last one of them and let's give prof Tomkins the support he deserves and requires.

He is mate you’re right.

Has the justice minister said anything about this whatsoever ?
Im still waiting on a reply from him. The excuse for delay so far has been hes been on paternity leave,however that didn't stop him writing a letter to Jo Swinson less than 24 hours after she appeared on QT. Maybe he sees wrongly criticising a fellow politician and trying to garner favour with "Govanites" as more of a priority than speaking out about child sex abuse. But then he has a vested interest....

When Prof Tomkins meets the SFA he has to ask what sanctions they intend to take on Nonce FC

The SFA were quick enough to charge us with bringing the game into disrepute over financial mismanagement so what’s the punishment for cover up 40/50 years of CSA between employees and officials of CBC and CFC

Prof Tomkins has to stress this is now 6 convictions not 4

The mhedia again trying to spin this myth that 4 Paedos have been convicted and that’s wrong

Well done to Adam Tomkins for pushing this scandal and demanding action and asking what CFC are going to do about the victims
It’s not six, it’s only the four?
Some defence.

I have little time for politicians as most are self-seeking creatures only out for personal gain and influence. The exceptions to this are (i) the SNP and mentally challenged-minded whores who, in addition to the faults above, add lies and deflection in support of the indefensible, and (ii) Mr Tomkins who is fighting for justice and truth. I hope he very soon gets support from some of his decent colleagues

Apart from what has already been mentioned, for me whats positive is that all it takes is one MP to provide a platform for others to follow.

Celtic in their cover-up and inaction are bringing the game into disrepute through their disgusting and criminal past. Victims deserve justice in whatever form they feel is best for them.

From a purely sporting aspect though clubs are supposed to uphold certain values. How any other spl club member could argue celtic are is unfathomable.

Fair play to this guy for pursuing it. I hope other politicians show the same gumption.

I have little time for politicians as most are self-seeking creatures only out for personal gain and influence. The exceptions to this are (i) the SNP and mentally challenged-minded whores who, in addition to the faults above, add lies and deflection in support of the indefensible, and (ii) Mr Tomkins who is fighting for justice and truth. I hope he very soon gets support from some of his decent colleagues
Hopefully but highly unlikely mate.
History will judge those who stayed silent and failed the most vulnerable in society and shamed themselves rather than put party politics and their own sectarian bigotry to one side to do the decent and hourable thing and get justice for the victims.

then police scotland should be all over those giving him abuse.
sham of a police service

Brave man,fighting for justice for the victims.
Watch how they ramp up the smear campaign against him now, bigot , doing it for wrong reasons etc etc.
I think you're right. The powers that be in Scotland don't want anyone taking a serious look into child abuse. Robert Green, a campaigner for Hollie Greig, has been put in prison twice. They don't want him snooping into what actually went on.
Professor Tomkins will have to keep his wits about him, and if he doesn't already know what he's getting himself into then he soon will.

Back