Glasgow politician to meet with Scottish football bosses over Celtic Boys' Club abuse

Just received this from Ruth Davidson
Thank you for writing to me with your concerns surrounding historical child abuse within Scottish football.

The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing, and while it is welcome that Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider. Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought where necessary.

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose. The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this
Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Ruth Davidson

Rt Hon Ruth Davidson MSP
Leader of the Scottish Conservatives
MSP for Edinburgh Central
Scottish Parliament

This is more like the response we should be having from politicians.
Ruth has just went up in my estimation now, and if the Conservatives in Scotland keep it up then it will definitely sway my voting intentions. It will garner support for her party just by simply telling it like it is.

Thank you for writing to me with your concerns surrounding historical child abuse within Scottish football.

The reports that have emerged in recent years are extremely distressing, and while it is welcome that Jim Torbett and others have been convicted for their depraved acts, this issue clearly goes wider. Any further allegations of criminality must be swiftly investigated by the police so that further criminal proceedings can be brought where necessary.

The Scottish Football Association’s Chief Executive has apologised to those young people who suffered sexual abuse in football and I think he was right to do so. The Independent Review of Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football commissioned by the SFA found child protection policies at all levels were and still are not fit for purpose. The report has made a number of recommendations to address this and I believe they should be implemented as soon as possible. It is vital that we in Parliament play our part in holding the SFA and other bodies to account on this
Further to this, my colleague Adam Tomkins, MSP for Glasgow, has written to Ian Maxwell, chief executive of the SFA and to Peter Lawwell, chief executive of Celtic FC to seek urgent meetings on this subject. Through a series of criminal trials, we now know something of the scale of the abuse committed by a number of the men associated with Celtic boys’ club. What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC.

It is clear that victims of child abuse in football have been let down, and I very much hope Police Scotland, clubs and the SFA will give them the closure they need and the justice they deserve.

Please be assured the Scottish Conservatives will closely monitor developments on this matter over the coming weeks and months.

Yours sincerely,

Ruth Davidson

Rt Hon Ruth Davidson MSP
Scottish Parliament

Just wondering Tommy.
Have you shown that reply to any press organisations?

i wonder when the footballing authorities here will say/do anything. Im expecting them to either ignore it or fob it off quicker than they done with the poets EBT.

I disagree on your summary of this WBPB. She clearly is calling for further investigation into Celtic mate.

Hopefully I'm wrong here.

But time will tell.

As the post above #163 says, the tories should also be calling out the nefarious, incestuous relationship with the SFA and the filth and ask for an independent inquiry here.

It ain't happening.

Unless people outside this dank hole are asked to equate what went on, the filth are walking away from this.

But time will tell.

As the post above #163 says, the tories should also be calling out the nefarious, incestuous relationship with the SFA and the filth and ask for an independent inquiry here.

It ain't happening.

Unless people outside this dank hole are asked to equate what went on, the filth are walking away from this.
I thought that’s what her reply did say though on post 289. I personally don’t think she would state that she was pushing for a public inquiry against all involved if she didn’t mean it. That would be political suicide. I don’t think she’s that daft.

But time will tell.

It ain't happening.

We’ll agree to disagree mate, and time will tell which of us is correct. Cheers.

What else do you expect her to say?

Because of the yahoos and their running of the SFA, because of the over representation of RCs in political life in Scotland, an independent inquiry is the only way to insure justice.

But she won't do that will she?

And why not?

She should stick to brining up her wean.

It is a con.

And we'll be on here saying this or that and not falling out.

The filth are walking away from this.
I personally think it may look that way. But that’s only because that wee bastard nikla relies on votes more than anything else. Liewell sits with SFA, and police Scotland don’t know their arse from their elbow and act like niklas wee puppets.
Now I believe this has taken so long for my reasons above. But can you honestly see Celtic walking away from this without any punishment whatsoever because I don’t.
Ruth Davidson has stated she wants an independent inquiry. That’s coming from the leader of a major opposition party who are in power in Westminster.
If she can’t get the independent inquiry where there have been convictions then she’ll hand it to the powers at be down south who believe me know exactly what’s going on. The English FA also are pushing for this reference bennell and the McCafferty connections.
It’s frustrating to the point of anger that the SNP are burying their heads in the sand. They will answer for their corruption one day. And Celtic will be brought before British justice.
If I’m wrong about this then at least I’ll be right about one thing. The Scottish government are corrupt to the core.

McNeill said it was an open secret under oath in court.

It's a matter or record that Ba' face physically booted Torbett out of the scum hut.

I smell a good degree of hedging her bets from Ruth.

Let's not upset yahoos here
So when she said, "What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC. " you think she's hedging and not wanting to upset Sellick fans? That's a very strange interpretation of her statement.

Yours sincerely,

Ruth Davidson

Rt Hon Ruth Davidson MSP
Scottish Parliament

Well done mate.
Cap doffed.

I personally think it may look that way. But that’s only because that wee bastard nikla relies on votes more than anything else. Liewell sits with SFA, and police Scotland don’t know their arse from their elbow and act like niklas wee puppets.
Now I believe this has taken so long for my reasons above. But can you honestly see Celtic walking away from this without any punishment whatsoever because I don’t.
Ruth Davidson has stated she wants an independent inquiry. That’s coming from the leader of a major opposition party who are in power in Westminster.
If she can’t get the independent inquiry where there have been convictions then she’ll hand it to the powers at be down south who believe me know exactly what’s going on. The English FA also are pushing for this reference bennell and the McCafferty connections.
It’s frustrating to the point of anger that the SNP are burying their heads in the sand. They will answer for their corruption one day. And Celtic will be brought before British justice.
If I’m wrong about this then at least I’ll be right about one thing. The Scottish government are corrupt to the core.

100% on the money.

So when she said, "What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC. " you think she's hedging and not wanting to upset Sellick fans? That's a very strange interpretation of her statement.

So basically she's wanting the filth to pay a few quid in compensation. And that's the end of it?

They should be thrown out of football altogether.

After what happened to us, and you think this is some sort of strong political pressure being placed upon them?

Gimme peace.

There's my interpretation.

So basically she's wanting the filth to pay a few quid in compensation. And that's the end of it?

After what happened to us, and you think this is some sort of strong political pressure being placed upon them?

Gimme peace.

She also said she wants a full independent inquiry. That’s all we want. It’s a step in the right direction. Of course we want them brought to their knees. Even an inquiry would make the sponsors interested. No way will they want to be linked to that when they are playing not only here but in Europe. Slow process mate.
Think about it. An inquiry immediately brings media attention. That’s why we are finding it difficult to get a reaction from the press due to legal obligations. Once that inquiry is opened then it’s game on. No sponsors will want to be linked with that. Especially when the coverups start to unfold. Just my opinion mate.

Gimme peace.

If the filth pay out compensation and there is an admission of guilt then the SFA have to act and hammer them.

The following is fairly clear in support for an independent inquiry which I think is required here.

"What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC."

If the filth pay out compensation and there is an admission of guilt then the SFA have to act and hammer them.

The following is fairly clear in support for an independent inquiry which I think is required here.

"What we do not know is what Celtic FC knew about these offences and when they knew it. These questions must now be independently and fully investigated and, if necessary, a compensation scheme should be established such as that set up earlier this year by Manchester City FC."

Their most celebrated player said it was an open secret.

Their most feted manager physically booted a man out of their club for offences.

Should that not tell you all you need to know about who knew?

Sod the compensation scheme. Okay it comes first but these rhats need kicked out of sport altogether.

No, he stopped Burns bringing Cairney back as his FIRST signing.

So, a guy who emigrated to Canada in 1962 knew what was going on, but Kelly and White didn't?

You couldn't make it up.

This 100%
McCann done due diligence on shame f.c. and knew exactly what had went on but Kelly, McGinn and White who were figureheads for Celtic through all of this knew nothing about it, the same Kelly and McGinn who have also forgot about being in business with Torbett
These guys have to be put in the dock ASAP to see if they will continue with this stance
I am not legally qualified but you would have to be as thick as whale meat or retarded to think a lawyer wouldn’t have a field day with them
This would then highlight the whole case for that club to be thoroughly investigated from top to bottom, which would then give closure to the victims
I would like to say I am struggling to work out why these guys in particular are not now the main focus of Scottish judiciary system, but I think it is patently obvious we are now trying to get to grip with the cover up of the cover up
I hope heads roll and the guilty are outed and punished
It’s the only way this gut wrenching behaviour can be stopped
Yes their friends are running the country but has not one of these people got a conscience, have they no empathy for children, are they all devoid of human feeling, are they bereft of morals and last of all, how can they look their own children in the eye........

Their most feted manager physically booted a man out of their club for offences.

Sod the compensation scheme. Okay it comes first but these rhats need kicked out of sport altogether.

I think we need a bit more digging to get the scale of the abuse. Dozens or hundreds of boys.

But now we have legal proof Bud. The McCafferty one, as many in here said, opened a new Pandora’s box ;)

Last edited:

We all know this. And I wouldn’t say sod the compensation scheme as the victims and families will benefit financially for what they have been through straight out of that filths pocket. I want the same as you. The bastards thrown out of football. A few of us on here have made an effort to get this out in the public eye by contacting various organisations and believe me we are still doing so.
I hate them as much if not more than you pal but like I mentioned to you earlier we have to be patient and go through proper processes to succeed in doing so.
Young people have suffered because of this club. Be patient my friend. We all feel angry

Just to let you know after numerous emails to various mps, ukmps and media this is the first person who has replied with positive reply ,bbc,clyde,rebel,Sun ECT nothing from any of them,what does this tell you they are trying very hard to cover this up
WATP
Fantastic effort Tommy. The reply that you’ve received won’t be ignored. It can’t be now.
I understand what your saying about replies from the effort that myself and a few others on here have been receiving.
Frustrating as fck to tbh. But for the leader of an opposition party in Scotland to make a statement like that then I personally think it’s only a matter of time before the inquiry is launched. Here’s hoping

Whilst it's encouraging that a Scottish political leader has actually replied in a decent fashion, it's the above parts of the response that slightly concern me.

I'd rather that a truly concerned political heavyweight wouldn't just be monitoring the situation, but actually pushing and prompting for action.

To "very much hope" that the Police and clubs and SFA will give them the justice they deserve ... it's not quite the stance nor as far as I'd really want a genuinely troubled party leader in Parliament to be taking this.

The current cases have been heard and convictions made.
Enough evidence to link CFC and CBC is available.
Enough evidence to link CFC Board members and indeed management to CBC is available.

Ruth, don't MONITOR developments.
Stand up and be a leader -- the kind of person that even non-Tories might vote for.
Drive this investigation forwards, constantly demanding action and keeping this in the forefront of the minds of all authorities.

You would genuinely think that a Unionist leader would see how the threat of tarring the SNP-loaded Scottish Parliament as abuser-friendly, would be political dynamite.

Fantastic effort Tommy. The reply that you’ve received won’t be ignored. It can’t be now.
I understand what your saying about replies from the effort that myself and a few others on here have been receiving.
Frustrating as fck to tbh. But for the leader of an opposition party in Scotland to make a statement like that then I personally think it’s only a matter of time before the inquiry is launched. Here’s hoping
Been trying to contact so many people on this and this is the first positive reply as you said very frustrating that these evil people think they can get away with this
WATP

Justice for the ? how many victims are there ? We have yet to find out only a public enquiry can start to get to the bottom of this.
Penn State was a pimple compared to this mountain of depravity that has been criminally covered up, Justice for the ? if this was plastered everywhere it would emphasise that there must be a public enquiry into the historical sexual abuse at CFC/CBC.

Last edited:
Whilst it's encouraging that a Scottish political leader has actually replied in a decent fashion, it's the above parts of the response that slightly concern me.

I'd rather that a truly concerned political heavyweight wouldn't just be monitoring the situation, but actually pushing and prompting for action.

To "very much hope" that the Police and clubs and SFA will give them the justice they deserve ... it's not quite the stance nor as far as I'd really want a genuinely troubled party leader in Parliament to be taking this.

The current cases have been heard and convictions made.
Enough evidence to link CFC and CBC is available.
Enough evidence to link CFC Board members and indeed management to CBC is available.

Ruth, don't MONITOR developments.
Stand up and be a leader -- the kind of person that even non-Tories might vote for.
Drive this investigation forwards, constantly demanding action and keeping this in the forefront of the minds of all authorities.

You would genuinely think that a Unionist leader would see how the threat of tarring the SNP-loaded Scottish Parliament as abuser-friendly, would be political dynamite.
It is political dynamite like you say. But let’s look at politics. Homework has to be done. Granted this should all have been done sooner by the party that’s in so called control of Scotland. But they rely on nothing else but votes.
And then we have Humza as a justice secretary. Well let’s look at that more closely imo. I fully understand what your saying and I hope that the inquiry not only brings Celtic to justice but actually ends the SNP government in Scotland.
We all know who knew. We all know who still knows.
And I also understand and agree that a bigger stance should have been taken by the tories in Scotland. I also agree with you about the closely monitoring part of the reply. That’s the same reply I’ve had off Celtic sponsors. Towards the end of her statement like you say she wants a full independent inquiry. That’s the important thing in this. Never stated by any opposition leader so far as far as I know.
Hopefully this is the start. A positive reply and the press will see this.
So to be blunt. Get the snp out of politics. They have proved now they are not fit for purpose when they put votes before child abuse. A path of a republic of Scotland is what they want. With Irish republicanism within their ranks a very dangerous path to to go down. For her reply towards the end of her statement personally tells me that something has been found out otherwise she wouldn’t put her political career on the line.
Because of the snp this has been a slow process. Nobody else’s fault. Again this is only my opinion.

a club who had their ground shut during the second world war for chanting pro hitler songs?

that pride?

I think most on Follow Follow are aware of how they have airbrushed their history turning black into white and trying to spin it in as positive a way as possible. It's almost funny the nonsense they come out with by trying to make a grab for everything virtuous as if it is a Ceptic thing. Even recently MSP Dornan said something about that club standing up for the oppressed. Just waiting for the story that they were the only team Mother Theresa wanted to play for.

Then there's also the fact that most people are very impressionable during school years so if you're only hearing positive stories about Ceptic during that time then it has an effect.

So what I was saying in my post is that their supporters had some pride in their clubs history - but if they now try to be too vocal about their history then they will leave an open goal where we can bring up another part of their history. It might stop them being as mouthy.

I think most on Follow Follow are aware of how they have airbrushed their history turning black into white and trying to spin it in as positive a way as possible. It's almost funny the nonsense they come out with by trying to make a grab for everything virtuous as if it is a Ceptic thing. Even recently MSP Dornan said something about that club standing up for the oppressed. Just waiting for the story that they were the only team Mother Theresa wanted to play for.

Then there's also the fact that most people are very impressionable during school years so if you're only hearing positive stories about Ceptic during that time then it has an effect.

So what I was saying in my post is that their supporters had some pride in their clubs history - but if they now try to be too vocal about their history then they will leave an open goal where we can bring up another part of their history. It might stop them being as mouthy.

Good post RF.

What position did Mother Teresa play by the way ? :))

Back