Glasgow politician to meet with Scottish football bosses over Celtic Boys' Club abuse

Sporting sanctions are unlikely, IMO.

As a result, if compensation claims only total a relatively modest amount, I think a lot of fans will feel aggrieved that they managed to get out of it comparatively unscathed.

I know I will.
They may come out of it unscathed. As in football terms if that’s what you mean. That is definitely a possibility. The difference between them, and the situation with Southampton and Manchester City is that this has been a
40+ year coverup. This is why imo that the SFA have to be brought down also. That is the only way I think Celtic will suffer on footballing terms. The problem with a devolved government is that it’s the Scottish governments problem to deal with this. But the links they have had through McCaffertys involvement down south has brought the English FA into the fold. That’s why I think it’s essential that it has to be an inquiry from Westminster.
In footballing terms then FIFA/UEFA surely would have no option but to impose sanctions on them. That’s how it should work in the real world.

The SFA won't do anything unless pushed into it by the Scottish 'government' (very unlikely) or an inquiry. The interim report on the abuse of youngsters is simply an exercise in pushing the 'lessons will be learned' line.

The full truth would require a public inquiry. Would such an investigation not also make it much easier for victims to sue Celtic? If compensation is along the lines of Manchester City's scheme, it won't really punish Celtic.

Three factors elevate the Celtic scandal way above anything else in football - tolerance and even complicity by the Celtic board, the financial relationship with Torbett and the period the abuse took place. However, only one MSP seems prepared to run with this. If Rangers had been the club involved politicians and the media would have been all over the story.

There are surely grounds for Celtic to be charged with bringing the game into disrepute. Payments to the Trophy Centre were still being made after Torbett had been convicted and after Rangers launched the EBT scheme. Why should the length of time since the offences took place be a factor when it wasn't with Rangers?

One other point - we have to get our facts right. The 'open secret' allegation was made by the relative of a victim in 1996. I've found no evidence that Billy McNeill appeared at Torbett's first trial let alone said this. If he did, we need proof.

That said, Celtic directors did give evidence at Torbett's first trial. In the light of subsequent revelations it is hard to see how they didn't commit perjury.

The sfa is run by Celtic so they will escape punishment ..the sfa are also up to their necks in this .do you honestly think that they will punish themselves.
It may not happen today. It may not happen this year or even next. But the SNP/Republican party will implode at some point. Then Scotland can come home and we will see firm action against against those who have abused.

They may come out of it unscathed. As in football terms if that’s what you mean. That is definitely a possibility. The difference between them, and the situation with Southampton and Manchester City is that this has been a
40+ year coverup. This is why imo that the SFA have to be brought down also. That is the only way I think Celtic will suffer on footballing terms. The problem with a devolved government is that it’s the Scottish governments problem to deal with this. But the links they have had through McCaffertys involvement down south has brought the English FA into the fold. That’s why I think it’s essential that it has to be an inquiry from Westminster.
In footballing terms then FIFA/UEFA surely would have no option but to impose sanctions on them. That’s how it should work in the real world.
I think that's just about what is gonna happen there is proof now that Celtic FC are linked to several clubs in England that have also had men jailed for same offences as will be shown on a major documentary that's just about finished. The FA in England have billions going through it every year they will need to act which should put pressure on the SFA the problem i see here is The Scottish Parliament don't seem interested as we have heard nothing at all from them on this although with The Conservative Party certain members seem to be all over it just now and it's maybe them that can put pressure on certain people to act. Will they get kicked out who knows but once everything has been aired their name will be tarnished forever more.

That useless bastard humza stated he would close stadiums and withdraw operating licences if fans didn't behave...right useless,child rape,sexual abuse over decades DEMANDS their operating licence withdrawn and their cesspit closed for crimes against humanity ...what the %^*& is this prick waiting for?

And then Blair came along and sent us to an unnecessary war that I served in and signed a good Friday agreement as they put it that only benefited a certain element imo. I won’t vote until a political party takes on Irish republicanism. Watching boys from my regiment and not only my regiment that have suffered because of politics is heartbreaking. And then to sign an agreement where they can still carry on what they are doing. Even to this day.
The current Labour Party and your likes of Galloway have sat with Sinn Fein in the past. Certain members wanted to give recognition to the thing they call IRA.And because of votes McDonnell retracted his comments and apologised. No. Fuckin no. I’ll vote when someone stands up and says let’s take on everything that is anti British mate. Not only families in our forces have suffered but families in Northern Ireland have suffered also. They have to be taken on head on.
Boys who have served across the water will know the frustration because of politics due to the rules of engagement.
Ok people it might sound like I’m ranting. But I invite you to meet the people who have suffered. Children with no fathers. I Speak from the heart. Fck politics. It’s hurt a lot of us.

Bravo my man Bravo. The English need to stop playing by the cricket rules and get the f ing finger out PRONTO.

Please elaborate on this as myself like many others, are unaware of this.Has it appeared in the press or are there any quotes available.
Here you go.

Hello watty

Can you send me your address please.

I heard on the news that Celtic Football Club has now said that they have been carrying out their own enquiry over the last two years. I don’t know anything about this, or whether anyone else did. I did ask for Government comment and received assurances that:

• The Scottish Government takes extremely seriously its responsibilities both to ensure that children are safe and can enjoy taking part in sport, and to give parents confidence about safety. All children have the right to be cared for and protected from harm, and to grow up in a safe environment.

• We expect everyone working with children, whether professionals or volunteers, to identify and act on any concerns to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the child concerned.

• Recent cases of individuals who have been found guilty in court show that Police Scotland takes the matter seriously; it investigates such cases regardless of whether they involve a football club or any other organisation. Police Scotland investigates all allegations of sexual abuse, whether they are historical or more recent.

I also noted that the Celtic issue was raised in the Scottish Parliament last week (30th May), and Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf provided assurances that Police Scotland should, and does, investigate such matters thoroughly.

Re Public Inquiry – any discussion of that would, I think, be after all police investigations and legal proceedings were complete.

Best wishes
Linda

I know Boris & Jezza are pretty tied up with the leadership race - but.......
They could win a few votes in that race from fellow party members if they put this in the mix - just a thought !

I think that's just about what is gonna happen there is proof now that Celtic FC are linked to several clubs in England that have also had men jailed for same offences as will be shown on a major documentary that's just about finished. The FA in England have billions going through it every year they will need to act which should put pressure on the SFA the problem i see here is The Scottish Parliament don't seem interested as we have heard nothing at all from them on this although with The Conservative Party certain members seem to be all over it just now and it's maybe them that can put pressure on certain people to act. Will they get kicked out who knows but once everything has been aired their name will be tarnished forever more.
I am pretty sure the Scottish Government said they would not be looking at religious institutions or Sporting clubs as a part of their inquiery into the Inquiery into the Abuse of children in care.

Here we go bears at last after numerous emails a reply think correspondence I got from Ruth Davidson has done the trick.
June 2019
Dear Mr Sneddon
Thank you for your correspondence to Scottish Ministers regarding Celtic FC received on 26
June 2019.
Your letter has been passed to the relevant office for response or appropriate action. The
Scottish Government aims to respond to you within 20 working days. Where this is not
possible, we will endeavour to keep you updated on the progress of your response.
Yours sincerely
Kevin McArthur
Public Engagement Unit
The Scottish Government takes your privacy seriously. Our privacy notice
(https://beta.gov.scot/about/contact-information/personal-data/), available on our website, sets
out how we use your personal data, and your rights when communicating with us. It is made
under Article 1
WATP

Here we go bears at last after numerous emails a reply think correspondence I got from Ruth Davidson has done the trick.
June 2019
Dear Mr Sneddon
Thank you for your correspondence to Scottish Ministers regarding Celtic FC received on 26
June 2019.
Your letter has been passed to the relevant office for response or appropriate action. ..
out how we use your personal data, and your rights when communicating with us. It is made
under Article 1
WATP
Got same reply from same guy on 5th June.
My mails were directed to Nikla. Probably about a week to the deadline.

Here you go.

Hello watty

Can you send me your address please.

I heard on the news that Celtic Football Club has now said that they have been carrying out their own enquiry over the last two years. I don’t know anything about this, or whether anyone else did. I did ask for Government comment and received assurances that:

• The Scottish Government takes extremely seriously its responsibilities both to ensure that children are safe and can enjoy taking part in sport, and to give parents confidence about safety. All children have the right to be cared for and protected from harm, and to grow up in a safe environment.

• We expect everyone working with children, whether professionals or volunteers, to identify and act on any concerns to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the child concerned.

• Recent cases of individuals who have been found guilty in court show that Police Scotland takes the matter seriously; it investigates such cases regardless of whether they involve a football club or any other organisation. Police Scotland investigates all allegations of sexual abuse, whether they are historical or more recent.

I also noted that the Celtic issue was raised in the Scottish Parliament last week (30th May), and Justice Secretary Humza Yousaf provided assurances that Police Scotland should, and does, investigate such matters thoroughly.

Re Public Inquiry – any discussion of that would, I think, be after all police investigations and legal proceedings were complete.

Best wishes
Linda

Here's the reply I sent to her, 19 days ago without reply, which I've sent a chaser on today.

Hello Linda

It's great that the justice minister has given you assurances, but as far as I'm aware he has said nothing on this matter in public in order to assure the people that matter i.e. the victims, their families and the general public. I have little faith in him, since he appears to have plenty of time to tweet a whole load of nonsense but appears to have lost his tongue over this national scandal and refuses to respond to (ignores) the families of the victims and offer them support.

He is of course compromised with being a "die hard" Celtic fan (see his twitter feed), so perhaps it makes sense why he is maintaining radio silence?

Also, why nothing from our first minister?

Re: the Celtic internal enquiry, are Celtic FC to be allowed to cover up and clear themselves of any wrong doing yet again?

See times article below which details the club's previous investigation into allegations of abuse. The men they originally cleared via their "internal investigation" are now convicted peadophiles. Perhaps if a proper independent investigation had been carried out at that time, these predators could have been prevented from abusing more children?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-links-to-abuse-scandal-boys-club-revealed-5k8gb833r

I note that Adam Tompkins MSP has now been brave enough to take this matter head on with Celtic. It really is appalling that it takes a member of the opposition to take the reigns on this though. Do you agree it should be a matter for the government?

As far as I'm aware all of the criminal cases have concluded, so as you mentioned now would be the time to call for a public enquiry.

Regards
Watty1979

Here's the reply I sent to her, 19 days ago without reply, which I've sent a chaser on today.

Hello Linda

It's great that the justice minister has given you assurances, but as far as I'm aware he has said nothing on this matter in public in order to assure the people that matter i.e. the victims, their families and the general public. I have little faith in him, since he appears to have plenty of time to tweet a whole load of nonsense but appears to have lost his tongue over this national scandal and refuses to respond to (ignores) the families of the victims and offer them support.

He is of course compromised with being a "die hard" Celtic fan (see his twitter feed), so perhaps it makes sense why he is maintaining radio silence?

Re: the Celtic internal enquiry, are Celtic FC to be allowed to cover up and clear themselves of any wrong doing yet again?

See times article below which details the club's previous investigation into allegations of abuse. The men they originally cleared via their "internal investigation" are now convicted peadophiles. Perhaps if a proper independent investigation had been carried out at that time, these predators could have been prevented from abusing more children?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/celtic-links-to-abuse-scandal-boys-club-revealed-5k8gb833r

I note that Adam Tompkins MSP has now been brave enough to take this matter head on with Celtic. It really is appalling that it takes a member of the opposition to take the reigns on this though. Do you agree it should be a matter for the government?

As far as I'm aware all of the criminal cases have concluded, so as you mentioned now would be the time to call for a public enquiry.

Regards
Watty1979

Excellent argument Watty. Respect mate.

Hello Linda

Regards
Watty1979
Got a reply this morning;

Hi watty1979,

I got a reply from The Government at the beginning of the week asking me to pass your query on to them. I need your permission to do that - is that ok?

Linda

LindaFabiani MSP

"As Appeals Organiser at Glasgow Area Union of Youth Clubs."

Does anyone have an idea what this role actually was and was this another area for him to act as a predator? How that Club could operate knowingly with a Paedophile Ring? They had to be involved from top to bottom. A cancer in our society right enough.

As for the Jock Stein visit to the Trophy Centre whilst Scotland Manager. Who paid for the publicity stunt? SFA or Celtic?
My money is on the scum of the earth. Of all the 365 days to visit. St Patrick's Day was chosen.

Keep shining the torch brethren.

Last edited:
I feel the same. I’ve been accused of having this view because it’s Celtic. Only a small minded person would think that. This is criminal what they have done and they have covered it up for half a century. I hope the victims families get justice more than anything else. But that club has to be brought to its knees. And the reason I say that is not only the convicted should be punished. The people who knew also need to be brought before the British justice system. Ex serving members who served in Northern Ireland are being brought in front of the courts. We all know what I’m talking about. Especially ex regiment lads. We done nothing but served our country and the queen. But some bastards can stand outside the piggery promoting the IRA and raise money for their so called combatants and our police are powerless? That hurts not only me but a lot of us who’ve served. Maybe I’m going a bit deep. I apologise for that. But when an English ex para turns round to me and says ffs pal. Look what we done and your country let’s them march the streets then I’ve no answer for him. So I will vote conservative now for that reason Grigo. I’ll probably get hammered for this. Not just us paras. But every serving member that served across the water. Hold your head up high. British justice needs to be served on the poison that is in our society. Call it out as they call it. Fck off out our free society if you don’t like it. Child abuse and promoting IRA.
Ok rant over. I’m going to walk away now ;)
Ffs, run for parliament mate. You'll get my vote every time. I stand beside soldier F and every other serviceman and woman that took their country's Schilling and enlisted on the role. Our society and government are quick to forget the sacrifice we've made. To go to a game and have to endure their vile rantings under a foreign flag turns my stomach. The cover up of child abuse by this football club is reprehensible and should be dealt with at the highest level of public office. Scum then, scum now, scum forever.

You’re right mate. Our forces being charged when they were in a war situation, yet these PERVERTS are being protected ?

Absolute disgrace mate. I can see why the British forces would be livid :mad:
Here's a good one for ya.
I was at the funeral of a young para, who didn't make it back from Afghanistan. It was a military funeral and a couple of his mates kicked up %^*& because they couldn't put the Irish tri colour over his coffin because he was a Celtic fan.
The place was packed with SF. Idiots didn't know how lucky they were to survive the wake.

Ffs, run for parliament mate. You'll get my vote every time. I stand beside soldier F and every other serviceman and woman that took their country's Schilling and enlisted on the role. Our society and government are quick to forget the sacrifice we've made. To go to a game and have to endure their vile rantings under a foreign flag turns my stomach. The cover up of child abuse by this football club is reprehensible and should be dealt with at the highest level of public office. Scum then, scum now, scum forever.
To see the parachute regiment flag at the last game against that poison brought tears to my eyes. And many other ex members down south. I live down south now. But to see the support for what they bastards call soldier F was amazing. There is no such thing as soldier F in our opinion. He was an ex para that stood his ground like all of us. They bastards can call it what they want with the Bloody Sunday shite. The regiment along with other infantry regiments over the years came under fire. Our rules of engagement gave a reply.
And then Tony Blair along with others sold us out and gave republicans the upper hand with a so called good Friday agreement. That benefited a certain element of the society.
Sorry pal for going on and I could go on for a long time.
I’ve lost friends and children growing up without fathers. And now a nationalist government in my country let cio march through our streets. Ffs this post could go on. But pals on here know I’ve said it before so I’m opening a can of beer.
Reference them cunts singing and supporting the cause that a majority of them do? The SNP are dangerous. Relying on votes is a bad path to go down. And they are taking that path.

I have just sent off a letter of thanks and support to Professor Tomkins. I would urge others to please do likewise.
I did so when he released his letter to the press reference the non reply from Lawell. This gentleman needs to be supported in every way. I do believe when the documentary comes out then this will give him more reason to raise it in Holyrood. In the meantime I urge anyone who hasn’t done so to also contact Westminster. I emailed nadhim zahawi last week and was promised a reply within 2 weeks. This is the welfare for children’s minister in Westminster. I also attached Ruth Davidson’s reply to myself to the email asking for advice as I’m getting no reply from the first minister in Scotland or the justice secretary. He’s obviously a busy man but I think the more we involve Westminster then surely it will catch someone’s eye. The inquiry needs to come from Westminster imo and it has to question the role of the snp and police Scotland.
My frustration is the length of time it has taken or is taking to bring guilty parties to justice. Hopefully this whole failure will be the republican SNP’s downfall.

Here's a good one for ya.
I was at the funeral of a young para, who didn't make it back from Afghanistan. It was a military funeral and a couple of his mates kicked up %^*& because they couldn't put the Irish tri colour over his coffin because he was a Celtic fan.
The place was packed with SF. Idiots didn't know how lucky they were to survive the wake.
That is indeed a mind bender. They should have been escorted off the premises via a very steep flight of stairs

I think you may be correct mate, it's a long held belief I've had that the system is out to protect them (Snatsis etc) and we are not well enough organised to go on a meaningful attack. Also the dearth of authoritative senior voices supporting the victims is staggering.

One fucking politician. One out of the entire scottish government standing up for the victims of a multitude of inhumane crimes. So sad.
Who’s the one politician out of the entire Scottish Government ?
Must have missed that.

Back