Glasgow Tims Supercomputer

Surely it’s better that they keep their stats accurate? It would be pointless if they rigidly stuck to their pre-season predictions when they get more games and therefore more data to make note informed decisions.

Here’s one for everyone. At the start of the season, they projected a 78% probability that the scum would win the league. One full round of fixtures for us later and that’s plummeted to 54%... don’t you think it’s interesting that the media aren’t reporting on that side of things?
I don't really need a super computer to tell me that your odds of winning decrease the more games you lose to be honest.

source.gif

Of course this story is planted on the same day Doncaster goes public about forcing through calling the season early. Coincidence I don’t think.

Doesn't get much right. :))

Celtic are still projected to win the Scottish Premiership come the end of the season despite a 2-0 home loss to rivals Rangers.

The Hoops had been expected to run away with the title, with an initially predicted eight point gap when the campaign comes to an end. That was according to statistics site FiveThirtyEight who crunched the numbers and tipped the Hoops for a win.

Following Neil Lennon's outfit succumbing to Connor Goldson's double, the points value may have changed using the complex algorithm but the end result has not. Celts are still backed to seal their tenth title in a row - but just by ONE point.

Glasgow Times:

The innovative algorithm uses expected goals scored and conceded, transfer spend and previous season's results data to predict the outcome of various leagues and tournaments around the sporting world.

The FiveThirtyEight predicts Hoops will win the league title by one point, on 93 in front of Gers on 92. In its complexities, the algorithm even takes into account playing games this season behind closed doors and, as such, reflects a 60 percent reduction in home field advantage.

Celtic's goal difference has been predicted at +69 compared to the previous +74 while Gers are +64 compared to previous +59, a sway of just five goals.

St Mirren were initially predicted to be at the foot of the table come the end of the season, with Jim Goodwin's men relegated but Hamilton have slipped into the team expected for the drop.

wonder how it would look if they took out both ours and the tims last season ....... as that counts for nothing

They had us winning it and then after zero games played it has them winning it.

Not so much a supercomputer as tim cat-nip.

Aberdeen for 2nd place is interesting - up to 3% now.

They have a piss easy run after Sunday until the NY - and free midweeks to play games in hand.

Could be in 2nd place soon.

FWIW 538 is a decent stats modelling site. They’ll have no bias one way or the other. Their stats are predominately based off the previous results so it makes sense why they have the scum edging it. I fully expect as the season proceeds and their numbers update, we’ll start to see them predict that we will win the league. And then the papers will probably stop mentioning them ;)

I should also add that other sources, using purely this season’s data, are predicting we win the league by 10+ points.
What sources?

Deleted original message as I was talking sh!te. After reviewing the figures and realising I was reading the defensive stat the wrong way round.

But part of my point is still valid. We are being predicted to win by 5 points whilst they have been granted a higher offensive rating than us. I would certainly dispute the validity of that.

And this is the thing. There is nothing super about it. Given that it needs to be fed information from humans which is more often than not subjective.

Therefore, my super computer brain says we should win by more than 5, all else being equal, if, as I suspect, our offense is better than the 1.8 claimed. I'd also suggest, that while Duffy remains, their defence is worse than a 1.2.

Wonder what the outcome would be if both these were amended.

Last edited:
Deleted original message as I was talking sh!te. After reviewing the figures and realising I was reading the defensive stat the wrong way round.

But part of my point is still valid. We are being predicted to win by 5 points whilst they have been granted a higher offensive rating than us. I would certainly dispute the validity of that.
To be honest. I disagree.

I find them highly offensive.

Egyptian League, Slovakian League, Moroccan League, Polish League, Bulgarian League, Czech League, Peruvian League, Colombian League, Chilean League, Paraguayan League, Thai League and the Vietnamese League.
Good researching I never knew it was as widespread. I really don’t want it to be honest, kills the game. English football is becoming a farce. Goal line technology is as far as I’d go. With Goal line it’s a Yes or No decision , with Var referees are still having to make the final decision , so it’s not always right , there’s space for human error as we’ve seen many examples of down south.

This is just incase the league doesn’t get finished again,they will say according to our algorithm celtc are champions.

Good researching I never knew it was as widespread. I really don’t want it to be honest, kills the game. English football is becoming a farce. Goal line technology is as far as I’d go. With Goal line it’s a Yes or No decision , with Var referees are still having to make the final decision , so it’s not always right , there’s space for human error as we’ve seen many examples of down south.

Im of the opinion that if major wrong decisions are reduced and the best team wins more games, such as Easter Road this season, it’s a good thing.

There was one of these computers that also predicted we were winning the league last season and, in truth, a few people got excited about it.

Load of tosh whoever it predicts is winning. Football is played on grass (and artificial surfaces, but not artificial intelligence).

We have the potential to be champions. There's still a lot going way to go however so its vital that SG takes one game at a time. We need to be seen by the opposition as too good . Celtic reached a position where opposition teams don't think they can beat them ( clowns on here interpret this as lying down) and that helps them.

Back