Glen Hoddle - Pundit Extraordinaire

Might not be a great pundit but Glenn Hoddle was a Rolls Royce of a player

He certainly was. When England manager didn’t he hit amazing passes and great free kicks on the training ground and lambast the players who couldn’t do the same? Not exactly genius man management.

An extract from Teddy Sheringham‘s book

Dc5UVvDWkAA1MFJ
Glenn could catch the ball on his back? Really?

Wee touch of The Donald there from Teddy.

Good old English arrogance.

It’s been pretty rampant through most of BT’s Euro coverage of late, watching Man City’s game last night you’d think they were playing an amateur team the way they were talking about Gladbach, rather than a team who put Inter and Shakhtar out of the CL skelping 10 goals last Shakhtar in the process.

Reactions: VGM
Do you think that was bad, Paul Scoles after the manks game said they'd be as well giving united the trophy now as their is no team in the competition can match them, he laughed of italian and spanish teams.
I would fūcking love it (a la Keegan) if we beat them in the next round, mainly because it would be amazing, but also to see the look on that prick's face after what he said.

At least the English pundits look after their teams and talk them up.

Compare and contrast to what we are faced with - the national broadcaster deprives itself of interviews related to one of the biggest sporting stories this country has ever seen.

Scotland is as tinpot as it gets and no amount of laughing at them down south changes that.

Glenn Hoddle is a bit of a tw*t though.

Did Souness try to sign him when he was with Monaco?

Or did I just make that up!

It's just the typical arrogance of the English pundit and football in general they can't see anything outwith there blinkered EPL bubble.

Arsenal get out the wrong side of the bed all too often. If they get get drawn against us and that happens, we will beat them.

Minutes after the draw for the last 16 in December Glenn Hoddle declared it would be an English last four so long as the English teams avoided each other. In a stunning display of hubris he rubbished the chances of any other team versus the ‘best league in the world’.

Man U and Spurs both cantered through. Fair enough.

Arsenal however went life and death with Benfica, Needing an 87th minute winner tonight. The bold Glenn in December instantly dismissed Benfica, primarily based on the fact they came second to Rangers in their group. And then of course Leicester got papped out tonight by Slavia Prague.

Literally one round of fixtures after his bold prediction it’s been shown to be nothing but pure arrogance. Yes one of them or maybe two will go deep and could win it but I would imagine a lot of teams will really fancy their chances against Spurs or Arsenal if they draw them.
You never heard Steve McManaman co-commentating on the 2 Leicester-Slavia games!

He was ridiculous.

Might not be a great pundit but Glenn Hoddle was a Rolls Royce of a player

That is still one of the best goals I’ve ever seen , Barry Davies as commentator and a magnificent volley from hoddle, not many players could/can do that - that’s not to be mocked
Hoddle the pundit, imagine we get spurs and beat them ? B-) Well we’ve beat everyone else so why not ?

Peter Crouch just said of Leicester after defeat, ‘it would’ve been nice for them to have won it..’

Talk about blinkered.
He praised Slavia later. More than McManaman did over the 2 games.

They will never change down south.... that's their downfall really.
I've said previously that they probably couldn't name the teams Rangers have beat in the Europa this season without googling, and have probably not bothered watching any of the games.
If we turn up and produce the displays that have got us this far, they are in for a big shock.
Confidence is high... huge, huge plus added to performances.
Time to make them eat their words..... again.
Just like Leeds United did and McCoist and Hateley soon put them back in their box.

Most of the pundits in English football think that if we where dropped into the EPL that we'd be relegated in the first season.

They are commentating from inside a bubble where the wages and transfer prices are 4x higher than anywhere else in Europe.

He praised Slavia later. More than McManaman did over the 2 games.
You are correct mate, he did. He then blotted his copybook by uttering what I posted earlier just before they wrapped up the coverage.

When I tuned in at first, I thought, - why have they not got a chair for Peter? A split second later, I realised that the bird was standing up and that Crouchy is essentially a circus escapee who was good at football! :))

Reactions: TNT
Arsenal be a cool story with the Arteta link actually

Hadn't really thought that til the poster above said if we had to get an EPL team better its Arsenal

That insufferable fucking twat McManaman was commentating on the Leicester game tonight and sounded absolutely mystified that they were somehow losing to Slavia Prague who got to the quarters 2 years ago knocking out Sevilla and took points off Barca and Inter in the Champions League last season. You'd genuinely have thought they were getting beaten by Boreham Wood or something.

The arrogance of English football pundits is astounding.
I laughed when there was a Leicester player warming up. He assumed it was Harvey Barnes. When they did a close up - it was clear the bold Macca couldn't tell you who the Leicester player was!

Then there was the bit about the Premier League pitches at the start too.

I have been to Prague in February when it has been -15! Leicester were quite lucky! Normally, they are on a winter break.

"No disrespect, but Slavia are not the greatest opposition".

Rather than give praise to Slavia - he was silent a lot of the time.

It was all how bad Leicester were. But, Leicester only played how Slavia allowed them to play.

Any neutral watching it would say Slavia deserved to go through in the tie.

The Seville game 2 years ago was awesome.

Extra time 2nd leg. Seville score - meaning Slavia need 2! And they kept their heads up and got those 2 goals in what was left of extra time.

(I admit I am biased having been to 7 Slavia games since 2005)

Reactions: TN8
Arsenal get out the wrong side of the bed all too often. If they get get drawn against us and that happens, we will beat them.

Yep, and I don't think they would look forward to trying to play on our pitch as it is either.

Just like Leeds United did and McCoist and Hateley soon put them back in their box.

Exactly.
Even after the 1st leg their media thought Leeds just needed to show up at Elland Road.
Think it was more the media than Leeds players.
Gary Mac and Strachan would have known what they were up against , no doubts they would have let others know.
So I reckon Leeds prepared well enough , which makes it even better.

Pundits like him have to promote the EPL teams in European competitions, it’s where they make their living. So I wouldn’t worry to much about his opinion.
You just have to think back to our game v Leeds United and what the English media and pundits thought about us then.... And look how that turned out.

Scholes is just as bad, makes you want to switch the channel.
Aye, Scholes the big TV pundit now. Refused to give media interviews as a Man Utd and England player. Maybe for the best he is hardly the most articulate of individuals.

English pundits don't know anything outside of the EPL bubble. Their knowledge of teams that play in European competitions that are non English is limited.

This arrogant cant should have been ostracised for his ignorant and hateful comments about disabled people. It still irks me to see him get airtime. A fuckin weirdo extraordinaire.

The self centred ness is ingrained. its not just Hoddle, Sherwood and Scholes as prob 90% of them have no idea of what we are about and just trot out the old well worn boring cliches, i am past the stage of getting annoyed with it.
All it does is expose their lack of knowledge outside their cash rich false EPL is the be all and end all bubble.

Much like mentally challengeds, I try to avoid talking about football with most English folk.

Strangely enough it's fans of their smaller teams who seem to have a higher opinion of their leagues and national team - and that we are in a pub league / championship level team at best.

Not a generalisation, just my experience.

Much like mentally challengeds, I try to avoid talking about football with most English folk.

Strangely enough it's fans of their smaller teams who seem to have a higher opinion of their leagues and national team - and that we are in a pub league / championship level team at best.

Not a generalisation, just my experience.
I've said numerous times on here I'll only talk to fans of English teams if they're old enough to remember football pre 1992. The sky generation has produced the most arrogant, delusional fans of all time.

Minutes after the draw for the last 16 in December Glenn Hoddle declared it would be an English last four so long as the English teams avoided each other. In a stunning display of hubris he rubbished the chances of any other team versus the ‘best league in the world’.

Man U and Spurs both cantered through. Fair enough.

Arsenal however went life and death with Benfica, Needing an 87th minute winner tonight. The bold Glenn in December instantly dismissed Benfica, primarily based on the fact they came second to Rangers in their group. And then of course Leicester got papped out tonight by Slavia Prague.

Literally one round of fixtures after his bold prediction it’s been shown to be nothing but pure arrogance. Yes one of them or maybe two will go deep and could win it but I would imagine a lot of teams will really fancy their chances against Spurs or Arsenal if they draw them.
I'd take Arsenal now as I think we can get past them,certainly not the team of old of the other teams I'd take Granada. But I don't fear anyone. Just hope we can defend a helluva lot better.

Glen Hoddle is brilliant at pointing out the absolutely bleeding obvious, as a player and coach at the very highest level he offers absolutely no insight whatsoever into the game. he has the personality and iq of a goldfish.

Back