Glenn Middleton to join Doncaster Rovers on loan

Sasa-

Good move.

He was tremendous when he first broke into the team early in the season but went off the boil as you'd expect from a youngster. A move to a club with less pressure where he can focus on his development is exactly what he needs.

Tamson

Gerrard views outwards loans in a positive light. It seems to be his way of giving the youngsters an opportunity (as opposed to have them sit on the bench). Predict Middleton will go on to become a key player for us in future years.

It's absolutely not, jesus christ.

Fair point. It's still too low a level for me. The lad was one of our brightest prospects and now he's off to play at a really poor level.
Can see him scoring a load of goals this season and becoming more of a central striker/inside forward like he has played for the youths at times.
agreed mate , left forward of a christmas tree formation i think he will score barrow loads in a few years time

jprfc

It's absolutely not, jesus christ.

Fair point. It's still too low a level for me. The lad was one of our brightest prospects and now he's off to play at a really poor level.
Having watched a lot of league one last season, i'd say the spl is a better standard, but the boy needs regular game time which he'll get down there

Kirbys House

Good move for the lad to a team that made the playoffs there.

He'll (hopefully) be a regular starter for them & get some much needed game time.

Bluebrox

If McCrorie leaves it will be a permanent deal.
And I don't think that can be completely ruled out.

The lad may pursue this himself. He's not getting regular first team football next season. He needs to decide what his next career move is. The reality is that he may have to move on. He's 21 now, so not a kid. He needs to be playing regular first team football.

RFC4ME

I am not overly convinced that's a move to develop and return as much as it is to put him in the shop window for a move out.

brain

He will develop far better at a Doncaster side playing decent football at the top end of league 1 than he would at a Hamilton or St Johnstone.

KopGer

You mean like when a diddy team like the sheep gave Burnley and run over 2 games ? If we need to loan him out then fine, there would have been SPL clubs who would have taken him run a heart beat and given him game time at a higher level and in the league we eventually expect him to play in.

If that's the case then hopefully it's a successful move.

Fair point, as is the Dele Alli one.
It’s almost like you went off half cocked, with literally no knowledge of the wider situation.

Laudrup1

I'm all for this sort of move. For years we've seen a player come in and show a bit of promise and then falter and be freed to move to the likes of Hearts or Dundee Utd and have an average career.

There's a real issue with Scottish youth development at Middleton's. Loads of the players and teams compete with the top level talent at youth tournaments both at club and international level and never make the step to continuing their development.

We have to find a way of bridging the gap from early promise to be able to feature for Rangers regularly at the level we require.

Liverpool are doing it with the likes of Ojo. He's featured for their first team and they're looking to get him at a level (hopefully in the Europa League with us) where it's more than he'll feature at in development leagues or lower divisions.

Us doing the same with Middleton is bang on.

jprfc

Overall I'd agree mate, but at least Doncaster are one of the better teams.
They were rotten at the Stadium of Light on Good Friday but top 6 finish suggests they're one of the better teams. I think a lot will depend on if they can hang on to John Marquis.

Empire

Administrator
Staff member
A good move for him. He was like a ringer in the reserves last season. Step up in level will do him good.

However as others have said, I’d like to see us loan players to Scottish Premiership teams. The likes of Hearts, Ross County, St Johnstone or even Motherwell would also be good.

The rest are cunts or have fake pitches.

aclark

He's in good company with Ali Crawford down there. A good Rangers lad. Think this is a good move for all parties, Middleton needs to absolutely smash next season..

FrankieGovanLoyal

Official Ticketer
Doncaster a great a move at his age. Hopefully start every week and build in confidence/ability.

Don't really understand the he needs to be loaned up here to weaken them etc. Lets focus on winning the league on our own

Jimmy Jazz

Showed glimpses of an excellent player this season, particularly in Europe.

Hope he has a productive season.

Papa Sasac

Rather see our players go to SPL teams.

Not up nor down about this but I know I’ll see zero Donny games next season.

All the very best to Glenn. Huge potential.

Polar bear

This.

Glenn Middleton isn't going to be a starter for a Championship side in England. So, League One it is.
Why shouldnt he start? He's a teriffic player already,way better than most of the crap we invite to Rangers on loan.Pretty sure this demotion will be a real downer for the boy.:(

brain

A Rangers supporting manager and centre midfielder and a club not too far away from Glasgow should help to get him settled in and firing on all cylinders straight away.

YOGI_GER

They were rotten at the Stadium of Light on Good Friday but top 6 finish suggests they're one of the better teams. I think a lot will depend on if they can hang on to John Marquis.
Doncaster are also rans. They usually Hibs things quite spectacularly.

I've seen them many times, they're absolutely pish and Middleton will light them up.

Cwoodloyal

A good move for him. He was like a ringer in the reserves last season. Step up in level will do him good.

However as others have said, I’d like to see us loan players to Scottish Premiership teams. The likes of Hearts, Livingston, Ross County, St Johnstone or even Motherwell would also be good.

The rest are cunts or have fake pitches.
Livingston has the worst pitch in the league mate.

Haining84

Good move for all 3 parties.Middleton has a lot of potential.I actually really like that we now send young players with potential like him,Docherty and Hastie out on loan to develop in first teams.Its something most modern football clubs in a good place and with a forward outlook do.Changed days for us but we're now getting there.

It Is Old But Beautiful

Great to hear! Hopefully allows him to get game time and improve. There’s a highly talented player there and hopefully that loan helps us see that more often.

For anyone complaining, do you honestly think we’ll win the league with a 19-year-old? not to mention that he’ll just be sitting around doing nothing due to how many wingers we have now.

Bruce_Wayne

An obvious sign that we're upgrading for next season. Wasn't fair on Glenn that we looked to him to change a game we were struggling in so often last season.

Give him a year to develop and replace him with someone like Jones is already the first sign of improvement in our overall squad.

Jan Wyck

Middleton has great potential. This is a positive move both for him and Rangers. I hope the young lad embraces it in this way. Two/Three years down the line I reckon we will reap the benefits.