Glenn Middleton to join Doncaster Rovers on loan

Bluebrox

Why shouldnt he start? He's a teriffic player already,way better than most of the crap we invite to Rangers on loan.Pretty sure this demotion will be a real downer for the boy.:(
What team in the English Championship would be be a regular starter then ?

I think the lad will be fine. He is sensible and realistic to know that he's not getting in the first team at Rangers so this is as good a move as any for him. The writing has been on the wall for some time in terms of a loan move.

If he makes it work this can be a good move for him - and will help his confidence. The boy can come back a man.

Polar bear

What team in the English Championship would be be a regular starter then ?

I think the lad will be fine. He is sensible and realistic to know that he's not getting in the first team at Rangers so this is as good a move as any for him. The writing has been on the wall for some time in terms of a loan move.

If he makes it work this can be a good move for him - and will help his confidence. The boy can come back a man.
I really disagree,sorry:)

RFC4ME

Not re Middleton but just the notion of loans for development in general - always find a bit of fans wanting too apply a thing they want to be true to a loan re that idea.

If I was a player I would rather have 25 hours quality coaching at a solid team week over 90 minutes of game time in the lower leagues during my "development"

Last edited:

Barryhopez

Mental doesn't even cover it mate.

Wonder what our coaching staff would make of some of the posts, if they ever had a look?
Jeez, could you imagine....:eek::D:D:D:D

Tav gets stripped of the captaincy. Reasons? The fans don't think he screams in his team mates faces enough.

Glenn Middleton goes to St Mirren, he would ask why. Because it gets it right up Celtic in a "double strike" Glenn, get with the programme, your development can wait.

:D:D:D:D

Big Buff

Not re Middleton but just the notion of loans for development in general - always find a bit of fans wanting too apply a thing they want to be true to a loan re that idea.

If I was a player I would rather have 25 hours quality coaching a week over 90 minutes of game time during my "development"
That's fair enough, but the evidence shows that's not how players develop.

WATP3006

It’s a good move. He was getting nowhere near the first team this season. The football is a better level down there and hopefully he will get plenty of game time and improve as a player.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how we structure our loan deals, do we receive an initial fee, or does the other club pay the wages or is there penalties applied if our player isn’t getting game time?

temperance

League 1 is probably the same standard as the SPL, and he is only 19. A championship team is hardly going to rely on a 19 year old loanee from us are they?
The SPL isn't great, but its better than League 1. I watch Blackpool occasionally for my sins, as my wife is a fan, and most SPL teams would comfortably win against league 1 sides.

Jaws II

Decent move but I’d be astonished if there wasn’t a couple of SPFL clubs that would have snapped him up in a minute.

It’s been discussed to death on here but we need to be sending our players on the fringes of the first team to other clubs in the league. Two-strike approach.
I agree, would prefer him at a bigger club.

steve1873

We should be loaning out to other teams in our league, where they can potentially damage our rivals and then are unable to play against ourselves.

It would also be more helpful and a better gauge as to how they are at our level of football.

Rossrfc1989

Good move for him, needs to get a bit of experience under his belt, still very raw.

Is it a sign that kent is a done deal?

If hastie is to go out on loan n grezda isnt wanted.

That only leaves us with jones, candieas n murphy as the wide options?

broxi1690

League 1 is too low a level imho. 28 appearances in the first 11 then down to that level.

Doubt they see him ever being good enough if that's the level we see him at.
Think League One is about right. I would rather he was playing for side challenging for promotion in L1 than a side struggling in the Championship. Would be a great boost for him to win a trophy / promotion so young.

Bouncebackability

I think that's a good point. In that we loan guys like him and McCrorie to the likes of Hearts and Killie. But going down south will be helping the player more tbh in this instance
I can’t see any of the other top four team in Scotland taking any of our players on loan. It’s not in their interest to develop our players sadly.

broxi1690

Good move for him, needs to get a bit of experience under his belt, still very raw.

Arfield as well

TibbsyBear

Why?

Our loan players should be playing at the highest level we can get them an opportunity, ideally in teams that aren’t getting pumped every week.

Playing hoofball for some dross at the bottom end of the Scottish Premiership would not aid his development at all.
Playing Hearts, Hibs, the scum and Aberdeen 3 or 4 times a season would be a better gauge of his potential to succeed at Rangers.

It also enables him to take points off his parent club’s rivals.

Teddy bear

Why?

Our loan players should be playing at the highest level we can get them an opportunity, ideally in teams that aren’t getting pumped every week.

Playing hoofball for some dross at the bottom end of the Scottish Premiership would not aid his development at all.
Because it's our league, the league we want him to be starting for us, he'll develop more playing in it.
Also he could do damage against our rivals.
You've obviously never watched league 1 in England if you dont think its "hoofball" like up here.

MearnsUnionist

If we continue with the same formation then Arfield will take one of the two roles behind the striker mate.

MearnsUnionist

Playing Hearts, Hibs, the scum and Aberdeen 3 or 4 times a season would be a better gauge of his potential to succeed at Rangers.

It also enables him to take points off his parent club’s rivals.

A loan is about improving and developing the player and %^*& all to do with helping or hindering other clubs.

I think our coaching staff will know best where they will develop most.

Last edited:

Gee

Would have preferred to see him up here.
Agree I think he is good enough to play for a team like Kilmarnock. Motherwell StJohnstone and the like also he would be strengthening the side he joins for games against the scum and wouldn’t be able to play against us. This is a trick that lot have used for past few years.

LarkfiedLoyalNS

I don’t think this is just for ability it will be to test his character also over a long season where he will get plenty of games.

We know Middleton has something but when he’s had chances in the team he’s either been good or really poor.

A chance for him to shine and a test of character? We have nothing to lose.

Sandbear

Good move for the boy I’m sure he will do well and come back a better all round player.
As for loaning to Spl sides , naw, playing a third of the games on plastic against the same teams up to 7 times a season doesn’t improve you as a player.