Glenn Middleton to join Doncaster Rovers on loan

SuperGers07

Rangers winger Glenn Middleton will join Doncaster Rovers on a season-long loan.

Record Sport understands Steven Gerrard has agreed to farm Middleton out to the English League One side as the 19- year-old bids to get regular first-team football.

The teenager enjoyed his breakthrough campaign at Ibrox after arriving at the club in January 2018.

He spent the first half of last season in the Rangers first team before returning to the development squad.
Middleton made 28 appearances and scored five goals for Gerrard's side including one in the 4-3 Europa League defeat away to Spartak Moscow last November.

Rangers now have several options in the wide left position with Northern Ireland winger Jordan Jones the latest recruit to arrive from Kilmarnock.

Pleased with this, hopefully gets a full season under his belt playing most weeks.

happy for the kid , became evident last season we were relying on him to make an impact too soon too early into his young career, suppose that shows how good he actually was the first half of the season , healthy for him to have some time away to play freely and develop. massive fan btw

Makes sense - and I mentioned this months ago.

The lad has alot of development, confidence building and technical aspects to improve. He was never getting in our first team next season so this is the right move for all parties.

Up to him to see what he can make of things.

Decent move but I’d be astonished if there wasn’t a couple of SPFL clubs that would have snapped him up in a minute.

It’s been discussed to death on here but we need to be sending our players on the fringes of the first team to other clubs in the league. Two-strike approach.

League 1 is too low a level imho. 28 appearances in the first 11 then down to that level.

Doubt they see him ever being good enough if that's the level we see him at.
28 appearances isn't a good method to judge Middleton by, because so many of those were subs.

He got 1138 minutes, so about 12 and a half games in total. It's not a whole lot, and it was probably going to be even less next season.

League 1 is probably the same standard as the SPL, and he is only 19. A championship team is hardly going to rely on a 19 year old loanee from us are they?

It's absolutely not, jesus christ.

28 appearances isn't a good method to judge Middleton by, because so many of those were subs.

He got 1138 minutes, so about 12 and a half games in total. It's not a whole lot, and it was probably going to be even less next season.

Fair point. It's still too low a level for me. The lad was one of our brightest prospects and now he's off to play at a really poor level.

League 1 is probably the same standard as the SPL, and he is only 19. A championship team is hardly going to rely on a 19 year old loanee from us are they?
This.

Glenn Middleton isn't going to be a starter for a Championship side in England. So, League One it is.

League 1 is too low a level imho. 28 appearances in the first 11 then down to that level.

Doubt they see him ever being good enough if that's the level we see him at.

Would have been good if he got a championship club, however he is only 19, so if he gets regular game time at Doncaster I will be happy.

I think he will flourish. Doncaster will be in around the play-off places. A wee bit disappointed he won't be involved with us if I'm honest because I'm a big fan.

I think that's a good point. In that we loan guys like him and McCrorie to the likes of Hearts and Killie. But going down south will be helping the player more tbh in this instance

Can't see McCrorie going out on loan, he is great cover for several positions, and is quite capable to be a regular in mid field if required.

Can see him scoring a load of goals this season and becoming more of a central striker/inside forward like he has played for the youths at times.

Would have made an awful lot more sense to loan him to a half decent SPFL side. Along with a few others.

It would almost guarantee us more points than Them against the selected loanee opposition club.

Have you seen the standard of Scottish football when either OF team isn't involved? It is grim.

You mean like when a diddy team like the sheep gave Burnley and run over 2 games ? If we need to loan him out then fine, there would have been SPL clubs who would have taken him run a heart beat and given him game time at a higher level and in the league we eventually expect him to play in.

He's only 19 mate, that's 3 years younger than Doc.

That's a terrific move for a 19 year old.

He's very highly rated at the club.

If that's the case then hopefully it's a successful move.

Callum Mcgregor went to Notts County on loan, the same league, at the same age.

Fair point, as is the Dele Alli one.

Ali Crawford plays CM down there, after watching the play off final they seem like a decent footballing side so should be a good move

Good move.

He was tremendous when he first broke into the team early in the season but went off the boil as you'd expect from a youngster. A move to a club with less pressure where he can focus on his development is exactly what he needs.

Gerrard views outwards loans in a positive light. It seems to be his way of giving the youngsters an opportunity (as opposed to have them sit on the bench). Predict Middleton will go on to become a key player for us in future years.

Fair point. It's still too low a level for me. The lad was one of our brightest prospects and now he's off to play at a really poor level.
Can see him scoring a load of goals this season and becoming more of a central striker/inside forward like he has played for the youths at times.
agreed mate , left forward of a christmas tree formation i think he will score barrow loads in a few years time

Having watched a lot of league one last season, i'd say the spl is a better standard, but the boy needs regular game time which he'll get down there

Good move for the lad to a team that made the playoffs there.

He'll (hopefully) be a regular starter for them & get some much needed game time.

If McCrorie leaves it will be a permanent deal.
And I don't think that can be completely ruled out.

The lad may pursue this himself. He's not getting regular first team football next season. He needs to decide what his next career move is. The reality is that he may have to move on. He's 21 now, so not a kid. He needs to be playing regular first team football.

Back