Glenn Middleton to join Doncaster Rovers on loan

Why?

Our loan players should be playing at the highest level we can get them an opportunity, ideally in teams that aren’t getting pumped every week.

Playing hoofball for some dross at the bottom end of the Scottish Premiership would not aid his development at all.

Playing Hearts, Hibs, the scum and Aberdeen 3 or 4 times a season would be a better gauge of his potential to succeed at Rangers.

It also enables him to take points off his parent club’s rivals.

Why?

Our loan players should be playing at the highest level we can get them an opportunity, ideally in teams that aren’t getting pumped every week.

Playing hoofball for some dross at the bottom end of the Scottish Premiership would not aid his development at all.
Because it's our league, the league we want him to be starting for us, he'll develop more playing in it.
Also he could do damage against our rivals.
You've obviously never watched league 1 in England if you dont think its "hoofball" like up here.

Good move for him, needs to get a bit of experience under his belt, still very raw.

Is it a sign that kent is a done deal?

If hastie is to go out on loan n grezda isnt wanted.

That only leaves us with jones, candieas n murphy as the wide options?

If we continue with the same formation then Arfield will take one of the two roles behind the striker mate.

Playing Hearts, Hibs, the scum and Aberdeen 3 or 4 times a season would be a better gauge of his potential to succeed at Rangers.

It also enables him to take points off his parent club’s rivals.

A loan is about improving and developing the player and %^*& all to do with helping or hindering other clubs.

I think our coaching staff will know best where they will develop most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would have preferred to see him up here.
Agree I think he is good enough to play for a team like Kilmarnock. Motherwell StJohnstone and the like also he would be strengthening the side he joins for games against the scum and wouldn’t be able to play against us. This is a trick that lot have used for past few years.

I don’t think this is just for ability it will be to test his character also over a long season where he will get plenty of games.

We know Middleton has something but when he’s had chances in the team he’s either been good or really poor.

A chance for him to shine and a test of character? We have nothing to lose.

Good move for the boy I’m sure he will do well and come back a better all round player.
As for loaning to Spl sides , naw, playing a third of the games on plastic against the same teams up to 7 times a season doesn’t improve you as a player.

I don’t really see the point of him going to that level of football , surely be better if loaned to a st Johnstone or Livingston to get game time in a competition & against opposition that he will be expected to beat with us (if he’s to make the grade )

A loan is about improving tand developing the player and %^*& all to do with helping or hindering other clubs.

Pretty short sighted approach.

A loan can be about all of the above.

The part about ‘helping’ is helping his parent club - Rangers :oops:

Pretty short sighted approach.

A loan can be about all of the above.

The part about ‘helping’ is helping his parent club - Rangers :oops:

McGregor's loan for the mentally challengeds at Notts County was a huge success.

Can't think of any of their Scottish loans being such a success.

I think we've got to trust our coaching staff in knowing what's best for Glenn at this stage of his career mate.

McGregor's loan for the mentally challengeds at Notts County was a huge success.

Can't think of any of their Scottish loans being such a success.

I think we've got to trust our coaching staff in knowing what's best for Glenn at this stage of his career mate.

In recent years Ryan Christie, Mulumbu, Scott Allan and Anthony Stokes (Championship) have helped take points off Rangers whilst on loan from Celtic.

Are you really underestimating the advantages of loaning players to minor rivals to damage major rivals?

You’ve given one example of success from League 1.

There’s far more benefits of loaning to a club in the SPFL.

In recent years Ryan Christie, Mulumbu, Scott Allan and Anthony Stokes (Championship) have helped take points off Rangers whilst on loan from Celtic.

Are you really underestimating the advantages of loaning players to minor rivals to damage major rivals?

You’ve given one example of success from League 1.

There’s far more benefits of loaning to a club in the SPFL.

Tbh mate, that was more of a reflection on the standard of Rangers teams at the time, rather than these particular players.

Only 1 of the players you've mentioned (Christie) has progressed to any sort of acceptable level as a player due to his loan.
Even then, he doesn't start if Rogic is fit and has never kicked a ball against us.

McGregor though has.

The clue is in the name, development loan,

It is to help the particular player fulfill his potential and our coaching staff are far better qualified than you or me to judge what is best for the player.

Good luck Glenn.
Hope you get 30+ games, plenty of goals and assists and prove yourself ready for a crack at the first team 20/21

A loan is about improving tand developing the player and %^*& all to do with helping or hindering other clubs.

Completely agree. People somehow think loaning Middleton to another SPFL team will aid us winning the league :oops:
Let him develop down there in a team who hopefully play good attacking football unlike most of the teams up here

This is a mistake, he has more goals in him than any other player outwide other than Murphy. I can understand the Kent hype to a degree but other than the old firm he never really posed a scoring danger.

Middleton reminds me a bit of lovenkrands at similar ages where eck used to shove him outwide majority of time despite his ability to score goals.

This is a mistake, he has more goals in him than any other player outwide other than Murphy
My thoughts to an extent too. Could turn into a striker in future because he is an excellent at long shots and finishing and possesses great pace. As long as he nails down a starting place he should score plenty goals down there.

Doncaster manager Grant McCann has joined Hull. Might change Middleton going to Doncaster.

Last edited:
Good move for him. He needs to be playing regular and hopefully he'll get a game with them. Docherty at Shrewsbury was a really good move and I think not only did we get to see the player he is there was a fair bit of improvement in some parts of his game as well.

Who’s to say what the loan conditions are? Maybe the club insist on a number of appearances and want to recoup more than just money for wages.

Not touched on, but a loan to an English club will give much more visibility of the player to onlookers for potential sale value than playing up here too.

Not seen Doncaster play so bit of guesswork but maybe Gerrard and his team think Doncaster play a better style of football, and one closer to ours, than the hammer throwers of Scottish football. Would help develop him more than playing for a team who just lump it up the park.

Me too. I thought Ross County would've been a good move for him for a season.

Doncaster will be paying a fee for taking him on loan and probably paying all of his wage. I doubt County could do the same and I wouldn't like to be a young lad living up in Dingwall on my tod.

A good move for him. He was like a ringer in the reserves last season. Step up in level will do him good.

However as others have said, I’d like to see us loan players to Scottish Premiership teams. The likes of Hearts, Ross County, St Johnstone or even Motherwell would also be good.

The rest are cunts or have fake pitches.

This is a real problem we have IMO... do you think other spfl teams are asking for our players and we are saying no ?

See that Doncaster have just lost Grant McCann to Hull.

Does that impact the likelihood of Middleton playing regular this season?

Back