Goal Difference myth

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.
It might matter in the end as it has done before. However I don’t think this is the month to worry about it. We have a month of tough away games and the only thing that matters is winning. If we are still level or close to the filth come January we will be in a good position with us having more home games to come and it’s those games we can claw back the goals.

Only becomes relevant towards the end of the season. Now is all about winning wether its scrappy 1nils or a thrilling 5-4.

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.

absolutely zero harm in the team wanting to smash teams to pieces.

we won 5-0 today. not sure how you can suggest any eyes being taken off the job.

weird post.

It’s also not just about GD.
If we’re sitting at 1 nil or even 2 there’s always a chance of the opposition getting a goal and then everything’s in the mix.
Get to 3 or4 and we’re on easy street in a game and can start to make subs.

I wonder what the reaction would be with half the season to go, a massive game and then a cup final looming if one of our players injured himself busting a gut to make it 6-0.

We would say it was stupid and we would be right.

It's hardly a myth. There is only one goal separating us at the top and we're now in December.

The other thing which smashes the myth part out of the water is, GD is literally the deciding factor on who is top of the table.

Agreed. People are obsessed with it, its ridiculous. 2003 is the only time I remember it deciding things, I'm 36. Plus, its December 1st.

That was a tense run in. Hope it’s not like that again, apart from the happy ending.

Focussing on goal difference is a good thing, at least for me.

Shows the team have the mentality to not only finally put these other teams away, but trying to do it with a ruthlessness. It’s welcome to me, irrelevant if it comes down to GD or not. Winning breeds more winning.

I’m not sure what the myth is; if we are tied on points at the end of the season then it’s the deciding factor. Nobody is suggesting we can’t win by virtue of our points total but in a two horse race it makes prefect sense to keep an eye on goal difference.

When we were 1 up? Why would that be relevant to trying to get the GD up?

It's relevant to players getting injured that was my point-that moment gave everyone a scare. Hearts were playing with a bit of a nasty edge and at 5-0 they were gone-not sure I'd be throwing everything at them to get a 6-0 considering the games coming up.

Can't agree - this has maybe been our weakness in recent seasons with taking our foot off the gas and letting other teams into it if they score.

If we can batter teams then do it - I want out players dishing it out each and every game they can.

Should be good for confidence as well as opposed to limping over the line. A winning team don't feel fatigue.

It's been the only thing separating us and them for weeks now, so in what way is it a myth?

Maybe myth was wrong word perhaps focus may be better.

Lets score as many goals as we can but results will be the difference between us and the rest not goals if we focus on the job in hand. Worrying because they score 4 could put unneccesary pressure on us for something which will not be important if we do our job.

Goal difference is a wańk tie breaker.

Should be based on head to head results in the first instance.

Nonsense. H2H ignores all other goals scored in the league campaign and would come down to just OF games.

%^*& that. 38 games in a campaign. Not 4.

What were you thinking when Alfie went down?

Players can get injured in a second-5-0 up and cruising I'd be expecting the players to close the game out sensibly.
That was very early in the game proving that injuries can happen anytime but that's why the manager took off 2 of our most important players! I saw him point to his wrist so personally didn't give it a thought. It's fine not thinking about goal difference at this stage of the season but we need to put on performances that make other teams fear us and that includes playing to our best and destroying teams for 90 minutes not 45! Psychology is very important in this game.

The more you score, the more it becomes habit, gettin a few goals cushion also settles the players and gives us scope for giving ppl like Greg Stewart game time.
Ps. I just like scoring more goals than them bastards at all times

Maybe myth was wrong word perhaps focus may be better.

Lets score as many goals as we can but results will be the difference between us and the rest not goals if we focus on the job in hand. Worrying because they score 4 could put unneccesary pressure on us for something which will not be important if we do our job.

Well we've only dropped 5 points so far so it doesn't seem to affecting us too much.

Its not a myth but people are becoming obsessed with it, when in reality the chances if it actually meaning anything come the end of the season are extremely slim.

Tell you what OP

You can think tonight that our players are stupid

Im nodding in appreciation of a team paying attention to every single detail.

One more goal lads, come on.

Well done captain

For successful people and teams, every detail matters.

Back