Goal Difference myth

I want to be above them on everything. Was delighted to see the team keep going for goals today.

I don’t think chasing a couple extra goals at home to jobbers like Hearts is taking our eye off anything.
We need to bury teams as far as we can . It’s not taking our eye off anything as you quite rightly say . It’s about being as strong as we can and it’s naive to think goal difference doesn’t or won’t matter .

I, in contrast to most, agree with the OP.

Of course it’s nice to hammer teams but getting hung up on goal difference in December is going too far. People grumble nowadays when we only win by 2 goals. That attitude isn’t helpful.

I’ll make a prediction here - this title will NOT be decided on goal difference

Agreed. People are obsessed with it, its ridiculous. 2003 is the only time I remember it deciding things, I'm 36. Plus, its December 1st.
Against Aberdeen when Hateley scored his double we could have lost the league on goal difference in the final game if aberdeen had got a result.

When the goal difference gets out of our reach it gives them basically an extra point so if the opportunity is there to bang in goals then don't back off I reckon.
We have enough in our squad to make subs in the games to rest players with the game won but still chase the goals

Last edited:
Exactly, which is why its important not to focus on it too must now.

I would bite anyones hand off right now for a 0-1 at pittodrie on Wednesday.

But if we are 2-0 up in the second half and they are showing no threat, I fully expect any Rangers team to go for the throat, whether it's the first game of the season or the last. This team is well aware of when to shut up shop and when they can go for goals, it's not like we are desperately going for goals in tight games.

What were you thinking when Alfie went down?

Players can get injured in a second-5-0 up and cruising I'd be expecting the players to close the game out sensibly.
Thankfully the manger doesn't think like you and understands the importance of dominating teams and putting in as many goals as possible.

It is effectively an extra point for either team, so I wouldn’t obsess about it, but I wouldn’t just sit back and let them have the advantage.

But if we are 2-0 up in the second half and they are showing no threat, I fully expect any Rangers team to go for the throat, whether it's the first game of the season or the last. This team is well aware of when to shut up shop and when they can go for goals, it's not like we are desperately going for goals in tight games.
Totally agree, I was more meaning supporters are becoming a bit too worried about it. Was working today but when we heard their score another bear made a comment like 'we need to hammer them today now to keep close to them'.

I would take 1 nil in every single game from now til end of season and Celtic can win every other game 6 nil

Normally at this stage of the season it wouldn’t even enter your mind but it is going to be close, maybe a few points difference if that.

I did find it interesting when Tav told the celebrating players to get back and getting going again when we’d just scored the 5th. Tav, Goldson, Davis and Arfield all noticeable going for it after that.

December is a month for keeping it close to be honest, our fixtures are horrendous and if someone offered me equal on points but a few goals behind I’d take it. If we went top today they’d likely take 7 of Hamilton midweek.

It’s ridiculously close but if we didn’t %^*& up the old firm game we’d be 6 points clear. That’s a positive as well as the obvious negative. Our OF form will improve.

No idea where the OP is coming from. This league may well come down to goal difference, Id prefer not to let them build an unassailable lead on that front.
Score as many as we can, keep blank sheets in every game sounds good to me.

I know this is a fans discussion board, and we all have our views, but who do you think told them to dominate and get the goals? It's not as if they have just taken it upon themselves.

Scoring goals is habit building, its a good habit to have.

I know what you are saying OP, but surely trying to score as many goals as possible is the whole idea behind football, which in turn means we'll win games, They sort of go hand in hand

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.

It’s a mentality thing.

If you can get into the habit of always going one better than them; wining 2-0 when they win 1-0 etc, then it makes getting that point lead possible.

Enjoy it for what is. It's a thin top layer of competition where us and them are shooting it out for the most goals (when our position in the game permits) on top of the main target which is 3 points.

The focus for the team has always been 3 points and will remain so. However once we get our nose in front by more than 2 then the gaffer wants us to be ruthless and that is the correct approach. The team are not going in to every game focusing on goal difference.

The goal difference will take a pounding on Wednesday.It could easily be double figures at the tattiedome
Double figures? When was the last time a team in Scotland scored double figures in a league game? The filth beat Hamilton 1-0 the last time they played them.

I know what you are saying OP, but surely trying to score as many goals as possible is the whole idea behind football, which in turn means we'll win games, They sort of go hand in hand

I'm not saying we shouldn't score as many as we can, but not because we are focussing on goal difference. We should always score as many as we can.

My op was about getting bogged down on we need 5 or 6 or 7. We shouldn't be worrying about that if we make sure we perform against them and take the points.

At the moment, a better goal difference places us top of the league. That surely gives us a psychological boost and the opposite for them not to be always top.

Right now I would take 1-0 league wins up until we play them, that game will look after itself but if we win every game up til then we are in in with a huge chance given the split of home and away games we will have played

If we score 1 more than opposition each game this month I will be delighted

All this focus on goal difference for me is taking the eye off the job required.

Keep winning especially against them and goal difference won't matter in the least. We will win this league by 6 POINTS with two wins and a draw. Let's be positive.
but it would be nice to be sitting ahead of them rather than just behind

We are away Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell this month while they no doubt will be rattling in the goals with easy home games. I'll be more than ecstatic with us just getting the 3 points in each
Spot on. 1-0 each of those games would be fantastic. Including Cup final.

I don't think it will come down to goal difference and I don't think it matters that we are in second. However, I think they would feel more pressure if they were behind us.

If you're about to play either us or the mentally challengeds and its about thinking you have a chance.

Who would you rather play? The mentally challengeds blowing teams away or us winning by the odd goal?

Keep the confidence up and better teams all over the park 5 nil every week please.

Do you think 2007/08 would have ended the same if we didn't have to win by 4 more goals at Pittodrie than they got at Tannadice?

They scored and won 1-0 and we lost 2-0 to lose by 3 points. The extra goal difference put the pressure on us instead of them and it told.

utter pish! I'd rather our team was winning by 3 or 4 goals rather than having nervy finishes. also sends signal out to teams that we're ruthless! will make them think twice about attacking us. battering teams has the next team shitting themselves to play us,the way it should be!

I can't see how anyone can see a 5-0 as eye off the ball.

But for the sake of argument let's say as ylellle gave suggested we keep winning and focus on the 3 points. We then get a draw at parkhead and stay level. We then trade wins with them in the old firm.

If we go in the split 10 goals behind, people would be screaming that we should have been more ruthless in games like today.

When at home I want us to be putting as many past teams as possible. Not so much for goal difference but just to get an absolute ruthless streak about us, and see if Alfie can reach 50+ this season :))

I'll admit to being a little obsessed by goal difference at the moment.

Sure, I'd probably bet against it standing for anything at the end of the season, but I wouldn't put the mortgage on it.

Goal difference is only a thing when we've done the job. We don't choose goal difference instead of pursuing three points so it's not one or the other.

Anyway, there's nothing finer than going about your week happy in the knowledge that our team are sitting proudly about those tramps in the league table. The solution to that at the moment? Goals.

Being ahead of that lot midway through the season would trigger a major change in mind-set. It'd heap pressure on them, pressure they have not had in years. If it's goal difference that does that then goal difference is a huge factor.

There is every chance goal difference could decide the title so it should not be ignored.

But let's not worry about it too much now. Perhaps when you look at the fixtures in January and February there is a better chance to overhaul them. Just winning every game through December will do for now

Well today we kept battling away and got 5 . In the past couple of seasons I’ve seen us scoring early as we did today . Then taken our eyes of the game and becoming negligent . This leads to the other team sneaking a goal and resulting in us losing two points or worse . If GD means we will keep battling for goals until the final whistle then I’m ok with that
I

every goal scored and conceded by Rangers and that mhob could make all the difference so we have to keep our eye on the ball. Its been reported earlier on another thread that tav was urging the players to get up the park and get the game started after the 5th went in

It has to mess with their heads everytime they win by 3 or more and then watch us do the same or better... so I'm all for, not letting up to the final whistle.

Back