Goal Threat - The Numbers

Albertz_Was_King

Kamara notched his 3rd goal of the season in the league.

He is currently ahead of Ryan Kent by 1 goal and behind Arfield by just the 1 goal.

I think it’s safe to say that Kamara himself would admit he is not a goal scoring midfielder and rarely makes attempts at the goal.

However when you consider Kent and Arfield play nearly every game under Gio and in attacking positions, serious questions need to be asked about their goal input. Both players are on huge wages, 2 and and 4 goals respectively in a Rangers side is not good enough.

Morelos and Tav need some help to say the least.

100% mate. We miss too many chances. Its actually unbelievable that Kamara has more goals than Kent. I know people are mad at Gio tonight, but, while hes not perfect, he cant finish a chance for Kent or Arfield. We need better numbers. Particularly from Kent tbh. Hes too good a player to be sitting on 2 goals for the season when its nearly Spring.

Last edited:
It does highlight some shocking numbers. Who knew Kent's effort was going to miss tonight? I just expect it.

I should add that Arfield was terrible tonight and not just in front of goal. Worst player on the park for me (although he had competition(.

Kent is simply a terrible finisher. He creates plenty chances for us, but his own finishing is abysmal. A guy of his ability should be getting 10 league goals a season considering some of the poor sides we play regularly.

Arfield can be an effective player, when used properly. Starting him every match during a busy schedule is not the way to get the best from him. Honestly feel it’s on the manager but it’s hard not to get frustrated by his performances.

Aribo’s numbers are again just not good enough for someone of his ability. Again I’m questioning if he’s been overplayed but his contributions aren’t what they should be.

I know he has had injury problems but completely jettisoning Roofe doesn’t make sense to me. He’s a natural finisher and will score goals off the right hand side. He needs game time though and Gio have decided that he’s not getting any and he’s going to run the same players in to the ground week after week.

The goals from goldson were a big help last year as well.

4 years on and back to being dependent on Morelos again. If he is injured we are fucked

Corners and set pieces have just completely dried up.

I’m going To cut Kent just a wee bit of slack, in every game in Scotland when he gets the ball he is immediately surrounded, that being said he should at least have a few more goals.

The one thing keeping Kent at Rangers Football Club is the fact his finishing is awful.

If Kent had a modicum of finesse or composure in front of goal he simply wouldn’t be here.

The fact Sakala is on 7 goals and has been a bit part player this season shames the contribution of Arfield and Kent.

Sakala should start over Arfield on Saturday.

The one thing keeping Kent at Rangers Football Club is the fact his finishing is awful.

If Kent had a modicum of finesse or composure in front of goal he simply wouldn’t be here.

The fact Sakala is on 7 goals and has been a bit part player this season shames the contribution of Arfield and Kent.

He should but he won’t. Feel for him tbh 8 goals scored for us and he’s came off the bench 22 times in that time. He deserves a run in the team.

Kents numbers are horrendous.

He misses far too many good chances.

It seems to be a thing with this squad on the whole actually.. we miss guilt edge chances in just about every game and its cost us 10+ points this season.

The only thing thats keeping Kent at us is we vastly over paid for him and wont sell him for a larger fee due to liverpool also getting % of the sell on.

If I'm not mistaken, look at Celtic for a minute and you've got Jota on 7 goals and 5 assists and Abada on 9 goals and 7 assists. Thats just in the league.

Compare that with the contributions of Kent on 2 goals and 9 assists or Aribo on 7 goals and 5 assists

So they've got 15 goals to our 9 and 12 assists to our 14.
We really need Kent to start scoring a few more, he's done really well to up his assist numbers this season so far though.

I try not to get hung up on assists as much because look how shite we’ve been in front of goal recently and how many chances a player could have laid on not getting credited.

But we definitely need some goals spread through the team again. Last season was no coincidence that’s a big part of success

Agreed. In recent games Fashion is starting to look like a 20 goal per season forward

It’s a reason why Tav should be getting more kudos than he actually does. He often finds the space that our attacking midfielders don’t, and he is more composed in front of goal than then them.

Tav is amazing, but that doesn’t reflect well on the others.

I would say that the midfielders by and large were superb when Gio came in up until the winter break. Aribo was on fire until the ACON, and Arfield was making those excellent runs from midfield. If anything Kent has stepped it up in the last couple of months, but his finishing is awful.

These three players especially are now nakard from playing so much football. So I’m not sure where the benefit can be derived from running them into the ground.

We need to start every game with at least 2 regular scores in that front three, we can't just have Morelos otherwise we will struggle in gameslike last night (albeit the pitch made any form of football difficult) but we did have chances, Arfield and Kent both should have scored.

Different games will require different combos, but one of Sakala or Roofe really need to start as much as possible.

The real issue with Kent is his positioning. Some of this may be tactical.

He plays more like a winger than a goalscoring forward. He is often too wide or too deep with 2 men on him. This means to score, he has to cut in a rifle one into the corner which is a tough ask consistently. This leaves him mostly as a creator & it would be interesting to see how many good chances he is creating for others.

I've said it a million times on here that our front 3 should have 2 forwards in it vs majority of spl. That's 2 from Morelos, Sakala & Roofe. It is absolutely imperative or otherwise we will not score enough

I’m going To cut Kent just a wee bit of slack, in every game in Scotland when he gets the ball he is immediately surrounded, that being said he should at least have a few more goals.
He's been cut slack ever since he's been here.
Criticising him is akin to blasphemy for some on here. Well, not for me....his contribution to the side is poor to downright scandalous. I'm not blinded by a couple of step-overs.

Of course the ability is there, we see it 3 or 4 times a season.

I'd sell him in a heartbeat.

Agreed. In recent games Fashion is starting to look like a 20 goal per season forward

Yet cant get a regular run in the team ... granted Sunday against Motherwell wasn't a high bar but he IMHO was the most dangerous player (MOTM?) - absolutely terrorised there full back / scored put in a good few crosses that should have been put away - yet he was taken off then not given any game time against St Johnstone last night ... baffling.

Kents numbers are horrendous.

He misses far too many good chances.

It seems to be a thing with this squad on the whole actually.. we miss guilt edge chances in just about every game and its cost us 10+ points this season.
Kent is a terrific player - a game changer for us when on form, but I agree he should get way more goals than he does, especially as he's one of the few players in our squad that is genuinely two footed, meaning he should be able to get a strike off from any position. This gives him a great advantage IMO.

Fashion, Kent and Amad can all play either side. I don't know why we persist on always playing Kent out on the left, he gets doubled up on every game, which wouldn't be as much of an option if we were switching wingers every 20 mins.

There is an element of that but he has found himself in good positions recently and consistently fails to even hit the target.

He had 4 shots from similar angles against Hearts and Hibs, 2 of them very good chances, and he put them all wide of the far post. It was a similar story against Dundee Utd. He is not a reliable goal threat at all.

I think at times he's guilty of passing up chances to shoot when he cuts in which is why it was especially frustrating against Motherwell when he wasted possession with 2 wild volleys that were never going to achieve anything.

that miss from arfield last night was something else, how could he get it that much over the bar from a good positon.

This is why it is a mistake freezing Roofe out, he’s not perfect but he will score goals consistently when fit to play.

in domestic games we should not be playing Arfield in the front 3 because it just leaves Morelos as the goal threat.

Sakala or Roofe should play
Every day of the week. I could almost understand it if Gio had persisted in keeping his wide players just that wide, however when Arfield plays it is almost a mirror of what we played under Gerrard admittedly only on the right side. You wont convince me that Roofe couldn't be playing at least some minutes in the role Arfield is currently playing.

Our 2nd and 3rd highest scorers this season are Roofe and Tav. One doesn't get much of a game anymore and the other is our RB.

We need more of our attacking players contributing to goals, including Kent, Arfield, Aribo etc.

Our players rarely hit the target. Our shooting is woeful, Arfield and Kent especially. People say Kamara isn’t in the team to score goals but a Rangers CM should be able to strike a ball.

You knew Arfield was missing from 6 yards too - okay the keeper got a touch but he should be breaking the net.

Roofe isn’t the answer either. 1, he’s rarely fit, 2 he’s extremely inconsistent due to a number of reasons and 3, his all round game is poor.

None of this really matters when last season’s top scorer can’t get off the bench.

Sometimes Kent’s positioning whereby he starts off his runs hugging the touch line makes me think he has far too much work to do to get to the box and into shooting positions.

For his out lay though we should be expecting far better output in terms of goals even when he does make it into the box.

None of this really matters when last season’s top scorer can’t get off the bench.
He’s not getting off the bench because he has been very poor when fit or given a chance. He is no where near his levels of last year. To add to injury and form he has now opted at the age of 29(?) to begin his international career with Jamaica. He is a waste of money at this moment in time.

He’s not getting off the bench because he has been very poor when fit or given a chance. He is no where near his levels of last year. To add to injury and form he has now opted at the age of 29(?) to begin his international career with Jamaica. He is a waste of money at this moment in time.
Don’t think it has to be so binary. There are times when he can help, certainly. Especially when the players on the pitch are playing poorly or are absolutely knackered.

Don’t think it has to be so binary. There are times when he can help, certainly. Especially when the players on the pitch are playing poorly or are absolutely knackered.
I agree completely however his contribution this year and some of his decision making RE international duty has really pissed me off

Sakala’s lack of game time is bizarre.

He’s played the equivalent of just over 15 full games this season and has 9 goals and 2 assists.
He has also had a couple of really good shot saved in games - I can remember maybe Hearts, Motherwell.

Not only that and his numbers - he brings the enthusiasm, pace and energy that we saw from Bassey last night. He had the Motherwell full back in his back pocket in the first half, until they changed their formation at half time to shut him out the game. I was disappointed Gio didn’t react tactically to this

Kent offers nowhere near enough. Great player but for £7m he should be scoring 10-15 a season in the league. Sakala is more of a goal threat.

Kent offers nowhere near enough. Great player but for £7m he should be scoring 10-15 a season in the league. Sakala is more of a goal threat.
He's as far from a great player as it's possible to get. His numbers bear that out.
His standard contribution is to receive tha ball, approach the full back, try a step over then lay the ball inside....repeat ad nauseum.

Is he a winger? Not for me, can't or won't cross a ball. I think he managed three crosses in 92mins last night.

Is he a 10? Again, not for me, doesn't have the range of passing or the required goal threat.

So, not a winger or a 10, so what is he?

A serial underachiever, clearly talented but consistently fails to deliver, in fact that's the only consistent part of his game.

Ralston for the tims has more assists and goals than Kent this year in the league.

No mater which way you slice it, that is diabolical.

It's more an inditement on the team and how we set up to play with 2 wide players but yet the most creativity and goals/assists come from the full back rather than the wide players that we pay the big bucks for. IMO there's no reason why Kent , Aribo, Sakala (when playing consistently) should not be matching Tav/Morelos for goals, assists, and chances created.

Kent etc simply have to keep doing better.

Ralston for the tims has more assists and goals than Kent this year in the league.

No mater which way you slice it, that is diabolical.

It's more an inditement on the team and how we set up to play with 2 wide players but yet the most creativity and goals/assists come from the full back rather than the wide players that we pay the big bucks for. IMO there's no reason why Kent , Aribo, Sakala (when playing consistently) should not be matching Tav/Morelos for goals, assists, and chances created.

Kent etc simply have to keep doing better.
Roofe needs more game time imho.

We let Defoe go as we had Makaay who worked with the strikers and our finishing has got poorer since.

Another game where Kent just didn’t look like getting in the same postcode as the goal never mind bag one.

Aribo as well just didn’t offer a threat again.

Thank god for Roofe as the substitute.

Another game where Kent just didn’t look like getting in the same postcode as the goal never mind bag one.

Aribo as well just didn’t offer a threat again.

Thank god for Roofe as the substitute.
Said in another thread, if we are going to win the title Roofe has to start more games

Back