Goalkeepers wearing caps

Bianconeri Bear

Official Ticketer
When watching football growing up in the 90s I seem to remember seeing goalkeepers occasionally wearing caps to shield their eyes from the sun when it was really bright. It's something that you don't ever see anymore. The last keeper I can remember wearing one was Chris Kirkland.

Is there a reason why we don't see this anymore? Or is it no longer allowed in the rules?

1658942-35176766-2560-1440.jpg

I seen it last season, can’t remember who it was though but I agree, it’s synonymous with Chris Kirkland for me.

Like Gabor kiraly and trackies.

Edit: it was Gollini.

Last edited:
Eastern European goalies wearing trackie bottoms is another thing you don't see any more. Dimitri Kharine was the last I think.

Keepers with the long pants as well. I always picture Goram wearing them for some reason.

I said to the Mrs while watching the Brighton game that it was weird to see McLaughlin in short sleeves. Can't remember the last time saw a Rangers keeper in short sleeves.

Skip caps would be fine until you re called into action I’d imagine they are then an obstacle to moving rapidly and could even become an outright hazard to seeing right lol

Keepers with the long pants as well. I always picture Goram wearing them for some reason.

I said to the Mrs while watching the Brighton game that it was weird to see McLaughlin in short sleeves. Can't remember the last time saw a Rangers keeper in short sleeves.

i remember snelders wore them also

You're right, seems like something I've not seen for ages. I think I remember Jim Leighton wearing one. And also sure I've seen a Rangers keeper with one, probably pre-Goram. Woods most likely - maybe on 88-89 video as that's the one I watched constantly - but could have been Walker or even Bonny Ginzburg.

Goalie's wearing old style bunnets were a fairly common sight in Scottish football right up until the mid 1960's. Another thing that I have a dim memory of is referees occasionally wearing a jacket.

Anyone remember the keeper that wore sunglasses in a game or two at the world cup? Would have been at USA 94 i think

I was thinking about this at the Brighton game. In the second half, their keeper was using his hand to shield the glare from the setting sun and I wondered why he wasn’t wearing a cap. On a related point, I noticed the sun‘s rays creeping higher and higher up the Copland as the sun set. Bring your shades on Saturday if you’re in the Copland front! Needless to say, this is only a problem in summer friendlies and early season games.

Jim Herriot was known to put boot polish under his eyes just like a quarterback to try and stop the glare of the sun.

in 1960 Scottish Cup Final Jimmy Brown of Killie wore a red cap like a baseball cap. I was there as a 7 year old and that is the only thing I remember about the game.

I think Bartez was the first goalie to wear long sleeves. He used to cut the sleeves off because Goalies jerseys were always long sleeved.
for years I thought that the goalie had to wear long sleeves to make his arm identifiable when he was up with other players trying to punch or catch the ball, but not so.
Another thing now is goalies wearing jerseys a similar colour to his own team….

I'm sure it used to be against the laws of the game years ago but got changed like everything else.

Back